mwight

Normals Just Don't Care...

The problem with people is that they cannot criticize themselves.

Even criminals and murderers claim to be "on the right path".

It is impossible to teach something unless your audience is ready to "give up" their preconceived beliefs.

If you are younger (or you just look younger) than your audience, the problem is even greater.

No one of us is able to honestly criticize himself.

We think to be right most of the time.

Hence, the need of all the Guru-worship stuff.

People could accept such spiritual things only if they feel "the need" and craving.

If they haven't this, don't loss your time.

• Like 1

Well, I've found that mainstream girls find talk about ascension weird, paranormal abilities creepy and even healthy lifestyle choices like vegetarianism "unmanly" and incompatible.

So, things would start out good with mutual attraction and all, but as soon as I breached these topics...they'd get weirded out and bail. I think a lot of women are simply more impressed with red-blooded, beer-guzzling, meat-lovin' sports fanatics.

Anyhow, since it became a pattern, I suspect it's some internal conflict I've been projecting out...so I'm working on resolving that inside myself. Hopefully, that will help me attract some more tolerant and accepting women this year.

Let me give you a bit of advice. The West is the last place for any spiritual man to find a compatible mate. Not that the East is much better either. Since you think a lot of women are simply more impressed with red-blooded, beer-guzzling, meat-lovin' sports fanatics, I can more or less guess where you are from and those regions have one of the least and I do mean least open-minded and spiritually aware people on this planet.

Education and Indoctrination are powerful tools to control a human's mind and the West might claim to be the champion of freedom and all that shit but I find the brainwashing indoctrination by western media companies to be just as sickening and disgusting as any communist country. All in all, forget about finding a mate. Seriously, avoid all opportunities and chances and even thoughts of finding a mate if you truly wanna break free from samsara.

Oh dear. How arrogant of us to hold an "us and them" view!

What are you trying to prove?

By doing this stuff we're no wiser and no better than the ones that don't.

How do you expect people to be curious about you when you can't bring yourself to be curious about them? (and I don't mean just pretending). People are naturally defensive about their beliefs (hence this topic eh?) - if you honestly become deeply curious about the deepest aspects of a person (which is a million miles away from the aspects that hold beliefs) - not only will you nourish them, but they will nourish you! Allow a deep intimacy to develop and you'll be able to share much more than just beliefs... those too, but mostly something far deeper and more spiritual. (easier said than done - I know! biggrin.gif )

Vortex - I suspect girls get turned off by this because you might be too serious about it - they might be detecting a slight feeling of guilt or 'shame' concerning this (that's where 'creepiness' comes from). It could be that you're sending out a "my guilty little secret" kind of vibe. And similarly if you place too much importance on whether they accept this spiritual part of you or not, you'll be giving off an unattractive vibe. (Ever experienced a salesperson who's really disparate to close a sale? get that uneasy, nauseous 'I don't trust this guy' feeling? - same thing.) Placing far too much importance on the whole thing.

I tease my friends about their beliefs in science - their love of football etc. and I expect them to tease me about my beliefs. It's what keeps us grounded, what keeps us from getting stuck in thoughts and what keeps us light-hearted and entertained!

I think you must understand one thing about the human race. ALL of us are different and if you find yourself in a groove where you can't talk with anybody, then don't talk. Don't socialize. I believe that there's are orders of monks in Europe or Russia where the monks practice this spiritual discipline of not talking forever. Osho has a retreat where spiritual practitioners do not talk. Why do you think this is so? Talking socializing waste energy and time and you stand to gain nothing by wasting your time and energy with the mundane people.

By the way, wanting to be entertained is one of the pitfalls awaiting a spiritual practitioner.

Edited by SunLover

Very true. Souls need to experience suffering many times before they can awaken to the Dharma and highly-refined spiritual practices. Baby and young souls have no interest in spiritual matters, they just want to enjoy being in a body.

If anyone is interested in reading this book: The Words of My Perfect Teacher by Patrul Rinpoche, just let me know.

Well Gerard, you finally say something noteworthy.

That has also been my experience.

Turns out we weren't actually friends:-)

My buddy Matt and I are still great friends and we practice Chi Kung and meditation togther at every opportunity, and my buddy Chris. I don't get the reference?

My buddy Matt and I are still great friends and we practice Chi Kung and meditation togther at every opportunity, and my buddy Chris. I don't get the reference?

Personal experience reference. When you apply awareness to things, shit happens.

Nice things can happen sometimes too.

Things are as they are so seeing them with an attitude of gratitude helps. Even the shite is educative sometimes.

Nice things can happen sometimes too.

Things are as they are so seeing them with an attitude of gratitude helps. Even the shite is educative sometimes.

No attitude required:-)

One of my friends had some bad health problem so I gave him a copy of Opening the Energy Gates of the Body by Bruce Frantzis which has a lot of healing material in it, but he didn't read it or try out the practice to see if it can help as he prefered to just go by what the doctors say as he considers them the ultimate authority on his life. Then a few weeks ago I took him and his girlfriend to see the Buddhist monk Matthieu Ricard who was giving a talk in my town, I had to buy the tickets and organise it all of course and persuade them to go, but they were genuinely impressed and influenced by it and have asked for other books and information from me afterwards to do with Buddhism and meditation etc. I think the reason is that Matthieu Ricard isn't just a Buddhist monk he is also a world renowned scientist and includes in his talk a great deal or raw scientific data showing without any doubt the benefits of things like meditation and compassion showing all the brain wave data and growth of neural pathways etc. At the moment generally scientists and doctors are regarded as the authorities of life so if you can get enough science behind it people are more likely to start giving it some consideration and respect. Otherwise people will only generally turn to this area if they have some sort of bad shock, deep suffering,a random spiritual experience or chance upon meeting a very advanced practitioner who inspires them.

Ah young folk today.

Them and their crazy hippy hoppy music.

Back when I wer a lad we had proper music.

Beatles, Stones good old 'Keep the Party Goin'... Leonard Cohen.

I have found the same thing. If you can mix in some science and try and tie it all together people seem a lot more willing to accept it. Otherwise it is a hard sell.

One of my friends had some bad health problem so I gave him a copy of Opening the Energy Gates of the Body by Bruce Frantzis which has a lot of healing material in it, but he didn't read it or try out the practice to see if it can help as he prefered to just go by what the doctors say as he considers them the ultimate authority on his life. Then a few weeks ago I took him and his girlfriend to see the Buddhist monk Matthieu Ricard who was giving a talk in my town, I had to buy the tickets and organise it all of course and persuade them to go, but they were genuinely impressed and influenced by it and have asked for other books and information from me afterwards to do with Buddhism and meditation etc. I think the reason is that Matthieu Ricard isn't just a Buddhist monk he is also a world renowned scientist and includes in his talk a great deal or raw scientific data showing without any doubt the benefits of things like meditation and compassion showing all the brain wave data and growth of neural pathways etc. At the moment generally scientists and doctors are regarded as the authorities of life so if you can get enough science behind it people are more likely to start giving it some consideration and respect. Otherwise people will only generally turn to this area if they have some sort of bad shock, deep suffering,a random spiritual experience or chance upon meeting a very advanced practitioner who inspires them.

Anyone know which Zen monastery Lennie retreated to?

I remember reading an article a while back and prior to his last successful tour than he'd been on a long term Zen retreat somewhere but it never said where.

Anyone know which Zen monastery Lennie retreated to?

I remember reading an article a while back and prior to his last successful tour than he'd been on a long term Zen retreat somewhere but it never said where.

I don't know. Have you been to his web site? He has a lot of info on it about his music as well as about himself (the last time I was there).