seekeroftruth

Michael Lomax

Not to be obtuse, but having read this and other threads on the topic, I'm still not entirely clear on the purpose and benefits of stillness movement and gift of the tao chi qong (aside from healing others). Can anyone with experience chime in on the benefits/purpose of the two , stillness movement and gift of the tao? I've already bought Michael's book and am considering buying his DVD. thanks-

Not to be obtuse, but having read this and other threads on the topic, I'm still not entirely clear on the purpose and benefits of stillness movement and gift of the tao chi qong (aside from healing others). Can anyone with experience chime in on the benefits/purpose of the two , stillness movement and gift of the tao? I've already bought Michael's book and am considering buying his DVD. thanks-

DT fills, energy gets denser and eventually rises up opening up energy centers in the body. In a Kundalini fashion pops out the crown and connects you to the source. Whats wrong with just practicing for good health and the ability to heal others anyway?

Your question is a bit like asking... what good is medicine? To me it is more then medical qi gong though. Gift of the Tao movements raise the vibration of the energy body. Cultivation is a path of self discovery to the true nature of yourself and the great Tao!

• Like 3

Wow, you sure did read alot into my post that wasn't there- talk about projection!

I never wrote there's anything wrong with practicing for good health or to heal others, or asked what good is medicine.

I AM trying to clarify for myself, however, how the purpose and benefits of these methods differ from ordinary qi gong.

If someone else with better reading comprehension and without the chip on their shoulder would chime in, that'd be great.

• Like 2

Wow, you sure did read alot into my post that wasn't there- talk about projection!

I never wrote there's anything wrong with practicing for good health or to heal others, or asked what good is medicine.

I AM trying to clarify for myself, however, how the purpose and benefits of these methods differ from ordinary qi gong.

If someone else with better reading comprehension and without the chip on their shoulder would chime in, that'd be great.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder, well not one that has anything to do with this anyway ^_^ Please don't be too harsh on rodgerj, your post did sound a little like you thought only practicing for medicine was a lesser path, I'm glad it was a mis-understanding.

As for how is SM different to other "qigong", well I already wrote;

Michael does not teach what most people call qigong. Yet due to the (intentional) ambiguous nature of the term, what he teaches is and can be called qigong. When I told Michael his lineage and system felt like shengong he replied by saying it was an apt term but to use it meant explaining it. He had already had years of explaining neigong (more commonly used thesedays) to the point of using qigong which was easier.

When Michael says 'higher level' qigong, he doesn't mean its because he thinks his qigong is better. It is much more simply a statement of the energies being worked with. Everyone often lumps these together but they are not always the same, and there is good reason Michael uses the english term 'light'.

Most qigong is a linear bottom up way of practicing cultivation, think jing-qi-shen refining things until you get to experience the higher levels. It involves the teacher providing the student with information and guiding them through practice over time. This is inline with much of our educational systems today, it is about learning something.

Stillness Movement is a powerful spiritual system that is non-linear, you are given access to the higher levels and a spark of light and left to practice. Information is kept to a minimum it is about YOUR experience with the energies and guidance is based around that, not information. This is not how we are taught to learn today, and is about Being something not learning something.

It is not the only system like this, but they are in the minority.

People get hung up on the what (to do), and the why (should it be done) and forget about the how (it is to be done). The how is what often makes things so very different.

My caveat, is that the above is my current understanding only. But I hope it helps.

All great teachers I have known teach from the place of Being. Yesterday I wrote a post that concerned understanding the importance of Being and quoted a very interesting text, my computer crashed and I lost the post. I may try again when I have time.

Best,

• Like 1

rodgerj gave you a darn good condensed view of what it is and snowmonki elucidated on this quite well.

The thing is, it really is very difficult to talk about. How does one truly explain a non-linear method, as all explanations are linear? The truth is we can't, we can only approach, doing the best we can with limited brain oriented linear vocabulary. But I will try to deepen this to some extent with words.

Health, awareness, and the ability to help others - this is why one should practice these methods. Now please understand that, although this system is very powerful in development of the ability to manipulate energy for medical purposes of healing others, there are thousands that practice it for the health and awareness aspect.

Snomonki gave a very good description of the "top down" process, although I myself seldom talk of it this way.

First, the difference in neigong and qigong. It appears that most people do not really understand this. You can look at it as qigong being an umbrella term covering all the qi oriented exercises. Stillness-Movement Neigong is internal and involves the process of first creating a dan tian, translated usually as "field of elixer" then filling it with Light. I translate it more as "place where energy storage and transmutation occurs". Note also that the dan tian is at our center of being. The Teacher works with each student to give them a "spark" or initialization of the dan tian of Lineage oriented Heavenly vibrations. The student then goes home and works with this on his own. As they do the energy there gets denser and denser, glowing brighter and brighter. SEERS see this as once the energy gets to a specific density and vibration, it rises up through the body opening each energy center in a natural non-traumatic and safe manner. Note this differs significantly from any type of forced method. Once the energy does that, and as snowmonki said, it pops out of the top of the head and connects us with Tao (source, Heaven, any number of words utilized in different explanations). When we reach this point we then learn to "dance in the Wu Wei". I call this process "Listening". Actually this "Listening" starts much sooner, as the energy begins bulding in the Dan Tian, but it manifests strongly after the energetics open all the centers and pops out the top of the head. What does this mean practically? Enhancement of intuition would be one phrase to decribe what I am refering to. Synchronicity would be another word. Actually there are many other words as this process is so potent, I don't think I can list all the words to describe it.

The other aspect of this. A person has a specific level of awareness when they begin the practice. A level of energy body vibration. I work with each student at the level they are when they walk into the workshop. And the same thing when one begins practicing the movements from the DVD. We then, raise the energy body vibration frequency which in turn raises one's vibration closer to "heavenly vibrations" This is ALSO an important aspect of what I referred to earlier as "dancing in the wu wei". This ALSO is an important aspect of the awareness factor. This ALSO is an important aspect of the "Listening" process. I talk more and demonstrate more of this process in my next book due this summer.

As opposed to conventional qigong methods which are more geared at circulation of the energy, in internal Stillness-Movement Neigong the circulation process is automatic, and non forced, while all the other things I described above happen. In fact, the whole process is automatic. One does not need to concern themselves with anything I just wrote.

The Gift of the Tao Movements are indeed neigong. They were derived from the practice of Stillness-Movement and are energy patterns as seen in the higher vibratory levels. An ideal combination is the practice of both Gift of the Tao and Stillness-Movement, although one can reach a very good level doing either, as the Gift of Tao are reflections of the Stillness-Movement practice. Unlike simple qigong which is linear oriented, these movements are essentially non-linear in that if one just observes them, they can have no idea of what the practice actually does.

This method has another aspect which is actually far more important than anything I have mentioned so far. The method awakens a person to who they really are, that true "inner core", the Higher Level self. THIS is the true "immortality" spoken of in Taoist practices. It helps a person find and fulfill their Destiny. Destiny referring not to something that just happens to you or you are forced to follow but as that which the true real you has already decided they needed to learn or work with in this lifetime. The other side of the coin is that the medical practices derived from the practice are High Level healing as they are designed to help a person find and fulfill their Destiny.

The health aspect.

When I first began doing Taoist qigong I could barely walk, bent over, arms not being able to extend beyond a bent at elbow 90 degrees, intense debilitating back pain, not being able to grasp anything with my hands, intense migraines, unable to chew food, and probably other things which I choose to forget. All from car wrecks (broke jaws in 17 places), falls (broke both arms and wrists at same time) and other injuries (2nd car wreck, more back trauma, other injuries). There is no doubt whatsoever that these practices were responsible in helping my recovery. I have had many students of this system express to me how it helped then recover from many different dis-ease situations. Most people who practice have less colds, less subject to falling ill to virus, miss less sick days, if they do get sick they recover faster, etc. It does NOT mean that practitioners never get sick as ANYONE can.

The "ability to help others" aspect of the practice.

A person does not have to be a healer for the practice to help others. As we raise the energy body vibration frequency, when we interact with others, there is a "magnetic induction" effect. we actually assist the other person in awareness enhancement, to a point. So the practice can not only raise the vibration frequency of you but of the whole area in which one practices. An example of this is I moved from one location to another about 7 years ago. Students tell me they drive by where I used to live and see as well as feel the energy still there. So we are helping others no matter what walk of life we do.

After writing all this I am not sure I actually in essence said much more than rogerj and snowmonki did. But I hope it is helpful to you. You can find out all this on your own by attending my next workshop in Terre Haute, Indiana March 26,27, and optional 28, then practicing what you learn.

• Like 4

rodgerj gave you a darn good condensed view of what it is and snowmonki elucidated on this quite well.

The thing is, it really is very difficult to talk about. How does one truly explain a non-linear method, as all explanations are linear? The truth is we can't, we can only approach, doing the best we can with limited brain oriented linear vocabulary. But I will try to deepen this to some extent with words.

Health, awareness, and the ability to help others - this is why one should practice these methods. Now please understand that, although this system is very powerful in development of the ability to manipulate energy for medical purposes of healing others, there are thousands that practice it for the health and awareness aspect.

Snomonki gave a very good description of the "top down" process, although I myself seldom talk of it this way.

First, the difference in neigong and qigong. It appears that most people do not really understand this. You can look at it as qigong being an umbrella term covering all the qi oriented exercises. Stillness-Movement Neigong is internal and involves the process of first creating a dan tian, translated usually as "field of elixer" then filling it with Light. I translate it more as "place where energy storage and transmutation occurs". Note also that the dan tian is at our center of being. The Teacher works with each student to give them a "spark" or initialization of the dan tian of Lineage oriented Heavenly vibrations. The student then goes home and works with this on his own. As they do the energy there gets denser and denser, glowing brighter and brighter. SEERS see this as once the energy gets to a specific density and vibration, it rises up through the body opening each energy center in a natural non-traumatic and safe manner. Note this differs significantly from any type of forced method. Once the energy does that, and as snowmonki said, it pops out of the top of the head and connects us with Tao (source, Heaven, any number of words utilized in different explanations). When we reach this point we then learn to "dance in the Wu Wei". I call this process "Listening". Actually this "Listening" starts much sooner, as the energy begins bulding in the Dan Tian, but it manifests strongly after the energetics open all the centers and pops out the top of the head. What does this mean practically? Enhancement of intuition would be one phrase to decribe what I am refering to. Synchronicity would be another word. Actually there are many other words as this process is so potent, I don't think I can list all the words to describe it.

The other aspect of this. A person has a specific level of awareness when they begin the practice. A level of energy body vibration. I work with each student at the level they are when they walk into the workshop. And the same thing when one begins practicing the movements from the DVD. We then, raise the energy body vibration frequency which in turn raises one's vibration closer to "heavenly vibrations" This is ALSO an important aspect of what I referred to earlier as "dancing in the wu wei". This ALSO is an important aspect of the awareness factor. This ALSO is an important aspect of the "Listening" process. I talk more and demonstrate more of this process in my next book due this summer.

As opposed to conventional qigong methods which are more geared at circulation of the energy, in internal Stillness-Movement Neigong the circulation process is automatic, and non forced, while all the other things I described above happen. In fact, the whole process is automatic. One does not need to concern themselves with anything I just wrote.

The Gift of the Tao Movements are indeed neigong. They were derived from the practice of Stillness-Movement and are energy patterns as seen in the higher vibratory levels. An ideal combination is the practice of both Gift of the Tao and Stillness-Movement, although one can reach a very good level doing either, as the Gift of Tao are reflections of the Stillness-Movement practice. Unlike simple qigong which is linear oriented, these movements are essentially non-linear in that if one just observes them, they can have no idea of what the practice actually does.

This method has another aspect which is actually far more important than anything I have mentioned so far. The method awakens a person to who they really are, that true "inner core", the Higher Level self. THIS is the true "immortality" spoken of in Taoist practices. It helps a person find and fulfill their Destiny. Destiny referring not to something that just happens to you or you are forced to follow but as that which the true real you has already decided they needed to learn or work with in this lifetime. The other side of the coin is that the medical practices derived from the practice are High Level healing as they are designed to help a person find and fulfill their Destiny.

The health aspect.

When I first began doing Taoist qigong I could barely walk, bent over, arms not being able to extend beyond a bent at elbow 90 degrees, intense debilitating back pain, not being able to grasp anything with my hands, intense migraines, unable to chew food, and probably other things which I choose to forget. All from car wrecks (broke jaws in 17 places), falls (broke both arms and wrists at same time) and other injuries (2nd car wreck, more back trauma, other injuries). There is no doubt whatsoever that these practices were responsible in helping my recovery. I have had many students of this system express to me how it helped then recover from many different dis-ease situations. Most people who practice have less colds, less subject to falling ill to virus, miss less sick days, if they do get sick they recover faster, etc. It does NOT mean that practitioners never get sick as ANYONE can.

The "ability to help others" aspect of the practice.

A person does not have to be a healer for the practice to help others. As we raise the energy body vibration frequency, when we interact with others, there is a "magnetic induction" effect. we actually assist the other person in awareness enhancement, to a point. So the practice can not only raise the vibration frequency of you but of the whole area in which one practices. An example of this is I moved from one location to another about 7 years ago. Students tell me they drive by where I used to live and see as well as feel the energy still there. So we are helping others no matter what walk of life we do.

After writing all this I am not sure I actually in essence said much more than rogerj and snowmonki did. But I hope it is helpful to you. You can find out all this on your own by attending my next workshop in Terre Haute, Indiana March 26,27, and optional 28, then practicing what you learn.

I got to say this description clarified things somewhat, or at least it put most things I've already read about the S-M in one well-articulated post. And for sure it didn't make me any less interested in attending a workshop or two :)

• Like 1

I got to say this description clarified things...about the S-M in one well-articulated post.

+1

in internal Stillness-Movement Neigong the circulation process is automatic, and non forced, while all the other things I described above happen. In fact, the whole process is automatic. One does not need to concern themselves with anything I just wrote.

Unlike simple qigong which is linear oriented, these movements are essentially non-linear in that if one just observes them, they can have no idea of what the practice actually does.

This method has another aspect which is actually far more important than anything I have mentioned so far. The method awakens a person to who they really are, that true "inner core", the Higher Level self. THIS is the true "immortality" spoken of in Taoist practices. It helps a person find and fulfill their Destiny.

Thank you for the in depth post Ya Mu. I don't think there can be a clearer description! :blink:

I had to repeat and highlight a few things above.

'Knowing' too much about what you think 'should' be happening creates expectation and false assumptions/desires, that can prevent you ALLOWING. This is the hard part of practice.

What Ya Mu refers to as 'who they really are' is what I understand as and refer to as Being. This is one of the areas of meeting Ya Mu that touched me the most and yet I cannot really put into words. I have met few who can teach from a place of Being, let alone give you a clearer sense of it in yourself. Ironically they often get ignored over the flashy and mundane.

Best,

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 2

Thank you very much Michael (and Snowmonki) for your thoughtful and comprehensive response- that helps alot. Looking forward to the dvd and seminar-

and thanks to rodgerj for the informational part of his post ; )

Edited by growant

Another hard part of the practice might simply the first step: showing up. The time and effort of travelling, etc.: what it takes to commit oneself to learn the techniques in person. Maybe the biggest hurdle.

You used to have to sit in Ma Bu for several hours to show you were willing to learn and committed. Now you have to travel somewhere and turn up :blink::lol:

I know what you mean, but as someone who has flown to several countries and moved house several times for access to training, when someone can't be arsed to travel for a workshop I can be less than sympathetic :blush: They could always organise one in their area ;)

I am really getting the impression though, that those that are meant to make it to see Ya Mu have a way of doing so whether they understand the pull or not.

Best,

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 1

Two questions about the upcoming seminar in Indiana.

Are there still openings?

For people who are unfamiliar with your teachings are there any practices that would help them prepare for your seminar? I'm thinking in terms of standing such as embracing the tree, or any particular seated postures.

Respectfully

Michael

Yes, timing is an important factor in taoist practices. Would reading about/hearing of/experiencing Michael's lineage resonate with one at 20, 30, 40, 50 or 60 years old? (Actually, I met an s-m practitioner in his teens at my first workshop.)

Ok, I am going to try again. Hopefully I won't lose the post this time :blush: .

I don't feel age is as important as Being. If you believe in past lives then they would also be a factor. Ya Mu told me he prefers not to use culturally specific terms if possible and has been moving away from them. I am still in a place where understanding the Chinese terms used within Daoism is of interest, I simply try to understand their meaning via experience over the dictionary.

Being (心 xin) is something I have slowly been becoming more and more aware of through practice. When I met Ya Mu his way of helping you to glimpse and open to "who you really" are was an even deeper experience of clarity of what I have come to understand as "Being" or your true self, that part of you that is you without all the crap that we accumulate. I have always liked the following;

"Remember that meditation is already there inside you.... it is not something waiting to be learned. It is not something additional to who you are now.... (it) is the experience of who you already are.... it is how the world looks when you stand still and see it for what it is instead of distorted into a blur by your own perpetual motion." David Fontana

For me SM neigong does this with spades on. After the workshop I was re-reading an alchemical text and the following jumped out at me, and so I post it here in case it is of interest.

"All of the so-called higher states of consciousness one reads about are the result of the presence of certain energies in a person. Without these energies being present, the higher states won't be there. The process of developing and using these higher energies is what the art known as alchemy teaches.

The immutable law of such teaching as ours is that one should balance knowledge with the level of one's Being. Knowledge..must be on the same level as Being. If it is not, the data will seem too abstract or will not seem applicable to some. This is due to their not yet having developed Being to understand and be conscious of the uses for that data.

It is not the endless hours of practice alone that produces results. It is the level of one's Being also. Doing something successfully depends from one's Being, not the reverse. We have all seen examples where one person seemed to learn and perform a skill quickly and with ease, while another would struggle and seem to take forever. This is this law in action. True internal art then, deals totally with changes in Being.

Old-timers studying with us always say that after a period of practice they can go back and re-read the lessons and gain still more insight. This is one way to show yourself if you are growing in this art.

The one drawback to teaching Westerners is that their education is totally devoid of any training that explains this concept regarding Being to them....The Western student needs to develop an understanding of Being...Eastern students see things differently and have less need for defining Being as they are often [already] aware" Anon adept of 'Golden Light from the Heavens' monastic order

For those reading, please keep in mind I am but a student of Ya Mu's and my thoughts are my own.

All the best,

• Like 1

Yes, I didn't fully understand it either. Taking comfort in not having to explain it fully to oneself and trusting in the pull, is one thing. Explaining your trip to family members and friends is another. :rolleyes:

+1 :D

You want to do what!? :o

Ha ha

• Like 1

Yes, I didn't fully understand it either. Taking comfort in not having to explain it fully to oneself and trusting in the pull, is one thing. Explaining your trip to family members and friends is another. :rolleyes:

Haha, well it's not so bad for some of us. I will be attending the upcoming workshop, and am bringing my mom with me ;)

For people who are unfamiliar with your teachings are there any practices that would help them prepare for your seminar? I'm thinking in terms of standing such as embracing the tree, or any particular seated postures.

Respectfully

Michael

pouring_light4.jpg

Is the best thing, just go without expectations.

Best,

• Like 2

I got to say this description clarified things somewhat, or at least it put most things I've already read about the S-M in one well-articulated post. And for sure it didn't make me any less interested in attending a workshop or two :)

The thing is my descriptions barely scratch the surface of the experience itself. Everything becomes self-evident from the practice.

Respectfully

Michael

Yes, just register on the website. Room for a friend as well.

As snowmonki says, no prep needed. Wouldn't hurt to start practicing the movements from the DVD. We WILL be doing them.

Yes, just register on the website. Room for a friend as well.

As snowmonki says, no prep needed. Wouldn't hurt to start practicing the movements from the DVD. We WILL be doing them.

I would like to come someday too. My form ain't the greatest, ask Snowmonki LOL, but I can really tap into the juice and let it flow. Sometimes I have found that using exact form is a hindrance to flow and I let the energy create the form.

:)

s

I would like to come someday too. My form ain't the greatest, ask Snowmonki LOL, but I can really tap into the juice and let it flow. Sometimes I have found that using exact form is a hindrance to flow and I let the energy create the form.

s

Yes, i agree form can be a hindrance. The Gift of Tao were created by this very concept; let the energy create the form.

You would be welcome anytime. Don't know if you eat seafood, but if you do I will attempt to entice you to attend this Terre Haute workshop by telling you Saturday after class we are going to a meal (not part of the class - everyone is on their own, but we do have a private room set aside) prepared by a number 1 sushi chef by the name of "Qi". That is his real name. For a Qi Gongfu class, pretty cool, eh? He carves the appetizers into these amazing creations of world class food.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 2

Yes, i agree form can be a hindrance. The Gift of Tao were created by this very concept; let the energy create the form.

You would be welcome anytime. Don't know if you eat seafood, but if you do I will attempt to entice you to attend this Terre Haute workshop by telling you Saturday after class we are going to a meal (not part of the class - everyone is on their own, but we do have a private room set aside) prepared by a number 1 shushi chef by the name of "Qi". That is his real name. For a Qi Gongfu class, pretty cool, eh? He carves the appetizers into these amazing creations of world class food.

Im a big sucker for sushi, I love my seafood :lol: . I sure wish I could attend your upcoming workshop. I tried looking up flights to indianapolis, however they all have major layovers and are a bit on the pricey side, plus I would be cutting it a bit too close to school if I went, perhaps the universe is telling me to just wait till the summer, oh well.

Im a big sucker for sushi, I love my seafood :lol: . I sure wish I could attend your upcoming workshop. I tried looking up flights to indianapolis, however they all have major layovers and are a bit on the pricey side, plus I would be cutting it a bit too close to school if I went, perhaps the universe is telling me to just wait till the summer, oh well.

So whats a few layovers and school compared to succulent...mouthwatering...sensory orgasmic taste...drooling...world class...awesome...sushi...prepared by number 1 chef specially for our group.... Oh, there's the qigong too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just messin with ya...

So whats a few layovers and school compared to succulent...mouthwatering...sensory orgasmic taste...drooling...world class...awesome...sushi...prepared by number 1 chef specially for our group.... Oh, there's the qigong too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just messin with ya...

I am about the third of the way through the Light Warrior book. Love the story. People miss a lot by not letting the story speak to them. Much teaching and transmission happens in a story. They probably don't think it's true. I keep trying to write my story but.... I share some similar experiences as you do. Not the exact story but similar realizations and understanding.

s

I've never really chimed in on a Michael Lomax thread, but I ordered the book after Mike Becker's review. I read it in 2-3 days. I enjoyed the narrative portions, and Michael's commentaries at the end. I skimmed through the practice section as I felt that it would be better to go see Michael if I wanted to actually do Stillness Movement.

A question that I have not seen anyone ask is how does this work for people studying IMAs? Many of us already do a standing practice. At the time when I read A Light Warriors Guide, I was standing for 30 minutes every morning, and 45 minutes every evening. If I were to stand for an additional hour, I would ask myself why not just practice more Yiquan?

Anyway, that is my only gripe with the system, as I understand it right now.

An acquaintance of mine posted a review on empty flower 2 1/2 years ago on Michael's seminar: My link

I have access to a lot of medical massage therapy students, and I'm also considering enrolling in the program myself in the winter. If Michael is ever down around Nashville to see his students here, I'd be more than happy to inform the program director and attend myself in order to try something new.

Anyway, I enjoyed the book, and I'd love to meet Michael in person. Unfortunately there is too much on my plate right now to attend the Terre Haute seminar. It sucks because I just left Louisville where I would have been only 2 hours away!

Edited by Prince...
  • Like 1

A question that I have not seen anyone ask is how does this work for people studying IMAs? Many of us already do a standing practice. At the time when I read A Light Warriors Guide, I was standing for 30 minutes every morning, and 45 minutes every evening. If I were to stand for an additional hour, I would ask myself why not just practice more Yiquan?

Here's my understanding, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

It's about intention. What are you training? With yiquan (as far as my limited understanding of it) and other types of martially-oriented zhan zhuang, you're really focusing on structure and balance and relaxation, maybe on endurance and stamina and building force. You don't really have permission to allow the qi to flow spontaneously, so to speak, because you're trying to train it into a certain shape.

With Stillness-Movement the focus is not on the form but on accessing a different vibration which then expresses into your body in ways that can be very still or very active, and not in a planned way. Attuning to that frequency is what orients the whole experience.

So the aim is pretty different. There are overlaps, of course, so theoretically you could maybe combine a little. For me, I've tried to combine things a bit, but I generally find that doing that tends to put me at odds with myself. I can't decide what I'm doing therefore I don't do anything as well as I would like. He who chases two hares catches none, and all that. But your mileage may vary.

So think intent and goal, and what you're training, rather than what it looks like on the outside. After all, there are sometimes big differences even between what your aims are when you train zhan zhuang under two different martial arts styles, or two different teachers of the same art.

• Like 2

I've never really chimed in on a Michael Lomax thread, but I ordered the book after Mike Becker's review. I read it in 2-3 days. I enjoyed the narrative portions, and Michael's commentaries at the end. I skimmed through the practice section as I felt that it would be better to go see Michael if I wanted to actually do Stillness Movement.

Anyway, that is my only gripe with the system, as I understand it right now.

An acquaintance of mine posted a review on empty flower 2 1/2 years ago on Michael's seminar: My link

I have access to a lot of medical massage therapy students, and I'm also considering enrolling in the program myself in the winter. If Michael is ever down around Nashville to see his students here, I'd be more than happy to inform the program director and attend myself in order to try something new.

Anyway, I enjoyed the book, and I'd love to meet Michael in person. Unfortunately there is too much on my plate right now to attend the Terre Haute seminar. It sucks because I just left Louisville where I would have been only 2 hours away!

Thanks for your comments and the review link.

A fairly balanced review from a MA standpoint but definitely shows (as it should) the MA background of thinking of moves in terms of body alignment, moment arms and force vectors instead of the energy itself. It is a tough transition for many to make this leap.

Although I have to add that I personally liked and got along fine with the reviewer, I do take issue with his conclusion of placebo effect. We, as in all practitioners of this method, have significantly addressed this misnomer over a long period of time. Of course in the hospital in China where it came from this would never had come up at all. So naturally those in the West that have never been exposed to it think in terms of body-mind and the only logical conclusion is placebo, for they find it extremely difficult to think non-linearly and in terms of the energy itself.

Read the post by kempomaster (post #94), a 35 year vet of martial arts, about his results treating horses and dogs. I also have many experiences of doing so with more than positive outcome, as in miraculously amazing outcome. There is no way that these animals have any body-mind interaction of "believing" it will help them. So I do protest the view of this being a placebo method as it most definitely is not. Here is one instance I wrote of The Great Goat Healing recently. Also, I have had client after client who came in to the clinic with the preliminary of "I don't believe in this stuff AT ALL but my (wife, husband, friend) insisted I come to you. The results of nearly 100% were the same as in those who came with the "I do believe" attitude. Also anyone reading this may wish to re-visit the thread I started and posted of clinical results.

I also have had several IMA arts teachers who have attended my workshops, one who has been teaching since 70's who has attended multiple workshops, so I can fairly say there is absolutely no conflict with your MA practice. I guess the only possible conflict I could think of is that if you did learn the healing methods and if you were ever called upon to use your MA in a personal situation, you would then think "dang, I just created more work for myself as I now have to turn around and heal them." :lol:

You may wish to read this blogpost as well which is where the information I posted earlier came from. This addresses the "why learn it" part of your question. And remember it is not about believing anything but simply practicing the methods. Everything I say becomes self-evident with the practices - not what "he said".

If you have access to space anywhere around Nashville or know of someone who does, you might consider sponsoring a workshop there yourself. The place where I taught several workshops there has changed ownership so not much chance of me teaching there anymore.

• Like 1

A question that I have not seen anyone ask is how does this work for people studying IMAs?

This is my two penneth for what they are worth.

INTENT

Many a martial system has turned to cultivation practises to make use of the training of INTENT. The system Ya Mu teaches simply cuts straight through the bullsh*t.

There is also evidence of 'formless' forms of neigong being associated with martial arts in several countries going back a long way. Why? because of the freedom and PRESENCE to the moment.

Many of us already do a standing practice....If I were to stand for an additional hour, I would ask myself why not just practice more Yiquan?

Simple answer Yiquan is Yiquan and SM standing neigong is SM standing neigong.

David Yeh has provided a good basic difference between types of zhan zhuang. There are many ways to practice "standing" and they are done for different reasons. You have to look past the waixing (outer shape/form). The reality I would say is that until you practice a lot of standing SM neigong you will not know the benefits it could give your martial practice, everyone is different.

After doing SM and GoT neigong for two days and when doing medical qigong on the third day I had my eyes opened to why santishi is practised the way it is in xingyi. I recalled comments made by Sun jian yun about why her father, Sun lu tang, changed the lead hand of santishi for practice. And at the time I had no intention regarding martial art I was doing my best to help heal someone.

I can honestly say I learned more about the potentials of zhan zhuang in that moment than in months of practicing with martial teachers. So while Ya Mu does not teach martial arts, if you are studying them then it has the potential to help in unexpected ways.

Best,

• Like 2