seekeroftruth

Michael Lomax

That was very much my experience of the book as well. I got even less out of the DVD.

How many hours over how many months practice did you put in-either of you-before reaching your conclusion?

I just downloaded the book onto my Kindle. I love reading about people's stories.

Did you have a good time in England with Brett and the rest? How was the site you had for practice? Would you recommend it for a weekend group?

Namaste,

Susan

I'll chip in while I am here.

The place was good if you are looking for a quiet location. However, it is 'basic', being a scout centre. It isn't a central location either-in the local area-so people wanting to eat or get to a shop need to either drive or walk there. Anyone looking for modern amenities provided by sports centres and yoga studios (on site catering for example, or other facilities such as sauna's, etc.) would be better off elsewhere. It has a kitchen, showers and toilets, but is otherwise just a room. Anyone staying over would be sleeping on the floor in the sleeping bag they hopefully brought.

So, if a group wants very basic facilities, but quiet, then it will work for them. If a group wants a more modern facility, with services provided, this is definitely not the place for them. It is also out of the centre of London, so people coming would either need to stay on site-see above-or in one of the local hotels. Anyone taking on the facility also needs to clean up after themselves-there is no cleaner service or trash removal. It is down to the people hiring the place to do this.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I just downloaded the book onto my Kindle. I love reading about people's stories.

Did you have a good time in England with Brett and the rest? How was the site you had for practice? Would you recommend it for a weekend group?

Namaste,

Susan

Hi Susan,

Mjjbecker's description says it all about the facility but to the other part of your question, I don't know if I have met any nicer folks anywhere; just fantastic vibrant good people. It was like meeting up with old lifetime friends - the good ones - the ones that you keep. I had a whirlwind trip with almost no rest but had a fantastic time. Got to sample real London Pub cask ale (Thanks, P.), yummm.

How many hours over how many months practice did you put in-either of you-before reaching your conclusion?

I would be surprised if you receive an answer. What I have seen is that anyone who actually practices the methods receive great benefit and report back to me that these are among the most powerful energetic methods available (as you have reported here). Those that just look at them don't have any idea about their energetic components.

Just my 2 cents -- one doesn't even need to know how to pronounce qigong before attending the workshop. :) Reading the book was inspiring to me, but I did not do any of Michael's practices before attending my first workshop.

_/\_

OK thanks! These 2 cents could be worth 50 bucks! :D

I actually spoke to micheal a few months back on the phone and he gave me some good advice. At this time i was going thru something pretty heavy. Micheal and i had a long conversation.

Micheal is a good teacher and has alot more insight than some other teachers that i have spoken too.

OK thanks! These 2 cents could be worth 50 bucks! :D

Absolutely not necessary to read book or know anything whatsoever about qigong before a workshop. Where it could come in handy is it can give them insight into where I am coming from; if a person does not resonate with this then it could save them the cost of the workshop - my workshops are useless to pay out for if one doesn't desire to practice the system afterwards. e-book is only 9.99. Also the Stillness-Movement system is listed step by step which can eliminate the need to take time out of the energetics to write all that down.

• Like 1

Hi Susan,

Mjjbecker's description says it all about the facility but to the other part of your question, I don't know if I have met any nicer folks anywhere; just fantastic vibrant good people. It was like meeting up with old lifetime friends - the good ones - the ones that you keep. I had a whirlwind trip with almost no rest but had a fantastic time. Got to sample real London Pub cask ale (Thanks, P.), yummm.

Brett and I met some years ago and we have become fast friends. We have actually met twice over in his part of the world and spent some quality time together. He has been one of the brighter, sweeter lights on my journey. Definitely someone I can depend on to be always straight with me.

Yes, good quality people over there...the ones you keep. I would heartily second that.

Good on you,

Susan

I'll chip in while I am here.

The place was good if you are looking for a quiet location. However, it is 'basic', being a scout centre. It isn't a central location either-in the local area-so people wanting to eat or get to a shop need to either drive or walk there. Anyone looking for modern amenities provided by sports centres and yoga studios (on site catering for example, or other facilities such as sauna's, etc.) would be better off elsewhere. It has a kitchen, showers and toilets, but is otherwise just a room. Anyone staying over would be sleeping on the floor in the sleeping bag they hopefully brought.

So, if a group wants very basic facilities, but quiet, then it will work for them. If a group wants a more modern facility, with services provided, this is definitely not the place for them. It is also out of the centre of London, so people coming would either need to stay on site-see above-or in one of the local hotels. Anyone taking on the facility also needs to clean up after themselves-there is no cleaner service or trash removal. It is down to the people hiring the place to do this.

Hope that helps.

That was very helpful. Thank you.

It would probably be OK with a good portion of our students, but some, not so much.

s

Listen, I don't mean any disrespect to you or to the author of the book and DVD. I am more than willing to give a full critique of the book and DVD, but I'm also wary, because I know that Lomax is active on this thread. I think it is worthwhile that I give my (negative) review, because I think it is useful for consumers to hear all points of view, but I also don't like the idea of creating enemies or engendering hard feelings, here on TTB.

Let me know if you (or Ya Mu) would like me to explain what I did not like about the book and DVD.

Edited by Otis
  • Like 1

Listen, I don't mean any disrespect to you or to the author of the book and DVD. I am more than willing to give a full critique of the book and DVD, but I'm also wary, because I know that Lomax is active on this thread. I think it is worthwhile that I give my (negative) review, because I think it is useful for consumers to hear all points of view, but I also don't like the idea of creating enemies or engendering hard feelings, here on TTB.

Let me know if you (or Ya Mu) would like me to explain what I did not like about the book and DVD.

hey Otis,

if you're willing to go there, i'll go there with you. i rather enjoy a good verbal disagreement. IDK. blame it on my childhood. some folks feel tension and anxiety when there's a vigorous controversy around here, whereas i tend to feel tension and frustration only when i bite my tongue on issues (particularly when those issues might have a real effect on other viewers). to me debate is healthy, so long as you're not just hurling insults and have something substantive to say. fiveelementtao and sloppy zhang are BOTH excellent examples of this right now.

so say what you mean, brother. whether i agree with your analysis or not, i'll certainly appreciate it. and i'll throw in my spare change as well. :)

Every teacher I have met has their critics. Every teacher I have met is human.

Every teacher I know that has released work publicly has their 'haters' and their 'lovers', you know, like marmite :lol:

Most people I respect look for what suits them (which changes with time, experience, & maturity), if they don't find it they move on. Unless they have a really bad experience with someone (talking abuse of some description), they move on without shitt*ng on what they leave behind.

In the Bhagavad gita it talks of the relationship between master and student, and that masters can teach what they teach and will have the faults that they have (they're human remember). You don't go to the master because of his faults, but because of what he can bring to the table for you to learn. Now of course, there is nothing that says you cannot weigh these up for yourself. It IS a personal thing.

A friend told me the other day, and I am in agreement, that when shopping online they look for the one negative review even if there are hundreds of positive ones. Why? because we want something to use as a counter weight. Just don't forget that ALL voices should be considered, both positive AND negative. Sometimes it seems like people think that if just one person didn't like something then it is tarnished and to be written off. Weird logic no?

While bearing in mind that any weighing up is done from behind the glasses of the vision of your current being. Nothing more nothing less. What can appear pointless or of no use today can be viewed in a very different light in several years time, and vice versa.

Otis, this is a public forum and if you feel the need to express your opinions you should do so. As long as your points are respectful and constructive rather than hateful and simply being a dick. Then you shouldn't feel an issue, Michael is one of the better teachers I know who is happy to discuss things civilly.

Given I do not know you from adam, I will say that while Mike's question may just appear to be a challenge it is not. It is simply an acknowledgment that comments about a practice without any real hours clocked of that practice are rocky. They can be informed (by other experience) at best, speculative, or at worst delusional. Not everything that looks 'the same' is the same, which is why an informed opinion can only get you so far. This isn't a gong fu, or neigong thing, its an everything thing. Listen to Micheal Reardon at about 1.00 into this short video.

if you're willing to go there, i'll go there with you. and i'll throw in my spare change as well. :)

Hundun. I also don't know you from adam, but given your response to Otis' posts that respectfully express that he has a view from the 'other side' but doesn't want to offend anyone, I'll be a little blunter. Stop being a sh*t stirrer. You seem to still have something to get off your chest after the last time you ejaculated your (even then stored up) reservations about Michael's work. We've already heard your disgruntlements, and your comments here paint you in the light of someone with nothing better to do that egg someone on and start a fight. The behaviour demeans your other often informative posts and simply casts a shadow over your otherwise productive contributions to this forum.

So please, step back from the screen, re-read the post and then decide if you actually want to contribute to healthy discussion or if your motives are still a little sour.

Best,

• Like 3

Hundun. I also don't know you from adam, but given your response to Otis' posts that respectfully express that he has a view from the 'other side' but doesn't want to offend anyone, I'll be a little blunter. Stop being a sh*t stirrer. You seem to still have something to get off your chest after the last time you ejaculated your (even then stored up) reservations about Michael's work. We've already heard your disgruntlements, and your comments here paint you in the light of someone with nothing better to do that egg someone on and start a fight. The behaviour demeans your other often informative posts and simply casts a shadow over your otherwise productive contributions to this forum.

So please, step back from the screen, re-read the post and then decide if you actually want to contribute to healthy discussion or if your motives are still a little sour.

Best,

whoa, slow down there.

maybe you should step back and read what you just posted, cause i haven't even said anything yet. everything i wrote above was simply in support of Otis stepping up and speaking his peace. it had nothing to do with my take on Michael's work. i just don't like to see people afraid to assert themselves is all.

as for my take on Michael's work, however, i have a right to that opinion as well, although it's not the incredibly harsh opinion that you seem to be assuming.

i took stock of the exchange i had with mjjbecker in that stillness movement thread all those months ago. i genuinely appreciated that exchange because i WAS harsh and a bit careless with my words, but even then i wasn't merely picking a fight. i'm not interested in muck-raking or "sh*t stirring" as you put it. and i haven't done that by supporting a guy's right to a dissenting view point.

how about you relax a bit. if i cross a line, THEN attack. fair enough?

EDIT:

just for the record, i now own the DVD and the book. i hadn't looked at either of them at the time of the other thread posts from last year.

you know what? like mjjbecker said above, never mind.

Mr. Lomax, how about i make everybody a little more comfortable and just send you a PM? i'm interested in the dialogue, not the public drama.

Edited by Hundun
  • Like 3

if you're willing to go there, i'll go there with you. i rather enjoy a good verbal disagreement. IDK. blame it on my childhood.

Hundun,

What reaction do you expect from people when you make such statements? The above does not suggest you want to have a constructive dialogue. It suggests you want to 'shit stir'. By coming into the debate and encouraging someone to be negative, you are going to get a negative response. It doesn't look like you took on what I said at all.

As for Otis, he looked for the most negative review I have seen of Michael's work, quoted it, and then said he agreed with that-and the DVD was even worse. Again, hardly a constructive addition to the debate.

It DOES come down to one simply question though. How much time have you spent doing the practice? If you've done 100 days, an hour a day, then I have no problem you saying it doesn't work for you. If you've just looked at the book and DVD, then it is like someone giving a car review having seen its picture in a magazine and an ad on the TV.

I would not 'dis' what Hundun does because I have no direct experience of it. I don't seek out and troll his posts. We have only crossed swords in the past due to the negative comments made on the other thread. As I said there:

Sometimes when one sees nice things being said about others, even if we disagree, resisting the temptation to jump in and piss all over it is a good thing.

Some reciprocal courtesy isn't much to ask-but often seems to disappear on threads. It really does put people off participating here-I know this personally, and from people I've spoken with. That doesn't make for good discussion, it just makes for a lose-lose situation for everyone.

No one is perfect, we all have our moments, which is all the more reason not to try and cause more negativity just for the sake of it.

• Like 1

Hundun

You are not the only person that calls things as they see them. I am not attacking you, simply highlighting to you how your post is being perceived, my comments are based on the words you chose to use in your post. Your post speaks for itself.

As I said, when you specifically state that you will stand behind someone and throw in your lot if they will first, that is simply stirring up trouble. It reminds me of teenagers trying to egg each other on to pick a fight.

If all you wanted to do was to show support for Otis then you could have easily done so in a far less provocative way (maybe re-read some of those 5ET posts?).

As I also stated I have enjoyed and have found some of your posts over the years to be informative and insightful, you just (from my point of view, and no I have no trouble manning up and saying it is simply MY point of view) keep casting a shadow over what could be a much more positive contribution to this forum. No one is perfect, certainly not I, and I have had my learning experiences here too.

Best regards,

• Like 1

It doesn't look like you took on what I said at all.

you have NO IDEA how many posts i HAVEN'T made as a result of our dialogue. i DID take it on-board. that doesn't equate to us being in total agreement, but i did hear you out, look at myself, and make some changes. if you're not impressed, then... :rolleyes:

As for Otis, he looked for the most negative review I have seen of Michael's work, quoted it, and then said he agreed with that-and the DVD was even worse. Again, hardly a constructive addition to the debate.

no, it was just support for the contrary view. again, like i said in the other thread, YOU LIKE MICHAEL, and that's fine. but maybe you should take a look at what is being called "negative" here. the review being quoted is stating that the book has very little substance from his point of view. Otis agreed, and added that the DVD had even less. what's so wrong with that, OTHER than the fact that you consider Mr. Lomax a friend?

It DOES come down to one simply question though. How much time have you spent doing the practice? If you've done 100 days, an hour a day, then I have no problem you saying it doesn't work for you. If you've just looked at the book and DVD, then it is like someone giving a car review having seen its picture in a magazine and an ad on the TV.

...so in your opinion, the book and the DVD are BOTH without substance, and no judgments can be made from their examination? or just no contrary judgments, right?

i can accept that you and others don't particularly like my personality. that's fine. but you guys seem really quick to preempt anyone who is more direct than "wow, what a wonderful practice, although i do have a few questions..."

it seems to ME like YOU are doing the trolling. Otis seemed almost scared out of sharing his opinion, and so i threw in my support. whether anyone likes how i did it is their business. i'm not even sure i will agree with what he has to say. he and i have been on opposite sides before. but i'll certainly throw down for his right to say it. he's not Starjumper. niether is SiliconValley. and believe it or not, neither am i.

I would not 'dis' what Hundun does because I have no direct experience of it. I don't seek out and troll his posts. We have only crossed swords in the past due to the negative comments made on the other thread. As I said there:

Some reciprocal courtesy isn't much to ask-but often seems to disappear on threads. It really does put people off participating here-I know this personally, and from people I've spoken with. That doesn't make for good discussion, it just makes for a lose-lose situation for everyone.

completely unfair, if you ask me. your agressive posture in shutting down what you consider to be negativity is putting off people with dissenting views. it goes both ways.

the only reason i'm a little flippant in my support is because i'm not afraid of the charged response to it. so yeah, i'm like "bring it." that doesn't make me a muck raker. i'm WAY more tongue-in-cheek and trash-talking when i'm just stirring things up.

and snowmonki,

this pretty much answers you as well. and you don't get to tell me what other words i could have easily used to show my support to Otis. i'm allowed to be who i am, and you don't have to like it all the time. i personally think there's a difference between when i'm jousting in good fun and when i'm making real arguments. but either way, it's never my intention to be mean-spirited. you might not always agree, but i think there's space on this board for me, too.

• Like 3

That's not what happened at all. I don't know why you're projecting that on me. I read SiliconValley's critique, which I thought was incredibly accurate, so I said so. I found the DVD to be even less useful to me, and mentioned so. That's all.

I don't know you or Lomax, and have no bone to pick. I was excited about getting into the book and DVD, but was very disappointed, when I did. I am only being honest about my opinion, because other people are choosing, based upon reviews.

Is it wrong not to be impressed by something? Must I be a trouble-starter, because I have a different opinion than you?

• Like 4

if you're willing to go there, i'll go there with you.

I appreciate it, Hundun. I'm still meditating on whether to say more about the material, or not. I know perfectly well that part of my reaction is based on appearances, and I see the limitations in that. On the other hand, one does hope that a master will exhibit his mastery somehow, whether in the form of words that resonate with truth, or through a body that resonates with Qi.

That may mean, of course, that I'm just missing the truth and the mastery, that it's so subtle as to go over my head. But I do feel like I gave both book and DVD a thorough inspection, with as much good intent as possible, before coming to my conclusion.

• Like 1

I appreciate it, Hundun. I'm still meditating on whether to say more about the material, or not. I know perfectly well that part of my reaction is based on appearances, and I see the limitations in that. On the other hand, one does hope that a master will exhibit his mastery somehow, whether in the form of words that resonate with truth, or through a body that resonates with Qi.

That may mean, of course, that I'm just missing the truth and the mastery, that it's so subtle as to go over my head. But I do feel like I gave both book and DVD a thorough inspection, with as much good intent as possible, before coming to my conclusion.

its very possible that you just don't resonate with this system and it is not meant for you to learn it while it is for others. Not everything is meant for everyone as everyone is different.

Just for the record,

Ya Mu DID allow me a back channel exchange with him. i really appreciated what he had to say, and he and i are a lot more aligned than i would otherwise have guessed.

he has both my gratitude, AND my respect.

i'll leave it at that. :)