baloneyx

Bruce Lee

The fact that he's in his late 90s and still agile...is more impressive to me than martial ability. Longevity and preserving your health against the ravages of time is the far bigger threat we all face today. By that criteria, very few people even make it to their 90s today, much less while still active.

I think trapping is an intermediate stage between hitting and qin na. Like hit first, trap second and qin na last. Although ideally you may never need to go past hitting...

True, but one needs health and agility in order for martial ability to be fruitful/effective/what the hell word am I looking for? Which makes martial ability at such an age that much more impressive.

As far as the 3...while that sounds good, reality is chaotic...qin na might just present itself as a first opportunity, ya never know :D

I couldn't help myself say my piece on Bruce. Bruce's jkd is the martial art i enjoy studying. This guy was way ahead of his time, and even today he is still ahead of what is coming out, in terms of practicality. MMA ultimate fighting and fighters will continue to be forgotten as per natural selection, but Bruce's real art will continue on.

Unfortunately, his art has become commercialized and mixed with a lot of other stuff that is likely: unnecessary, doesn't work, and is ultimately not from him- hence doesn't really deserve to use his name. One of these schools is "jkd concepts" which is very different to what Bruce was really doing. This was not an outcome Bruce intended.

I recommend his students Ted Wong, Jesse Glover as well as Tommy Carruthers as the better sources for what he was really about.

Bruce did practice chi, although perhaps was not of focus.

He died from murder set ups, as well as his son.

This is what my opinion is, from years of studying, doing the art and making contact with relevant source.

"I had known that Bruce had trained with Gin Foo Mark in Southern Mantis, but not Tien Shan with your teacher - Mr. Yeung Chuan? Could you tell me more about him and this style, btw? Is he still alive and if not, are there any good websites on it?"

This is a coincidence yet again...Tho I never studied with him- I met Gin Foo Mark one CNY thru Bill Chung who was his student and is the sifu who also worked with Bruce Lee...I mentioned on this thread earlier

Grand Master Chung is still amongst the living... Gin Foo Mark is a reknowned master of the mantis style, and also still teaching I believe -I posted his web-site on these pages about a year ago- and we can find it again I'm sure... The info about Mr. Y. Chuan I leave up to youse guys-

another coincidence!-I just received a photo-of Master Chung receiving an award for a lifetime of Martial Arts achievement from the guy next to him, Gary Alexander (who I hear is one tough SOB)...I'll try to drag the photo to this site- but I'm not sure I can-PDG

Edited by Wayfarer64

I saw this on the internet and so ...

sign.jpg

I've been to Bruce's grave a few times, there are usually flowers there.

I also find it funny that whoever took the time to Photoshop this gem together has obviously failed to realize that, while Bruce was extremely proficient in Mantis, there is no Mantis in JFJKD!

This little image seems to imply that the man who taught Bruce Mantis actually taught him JKD. Which passes well into the realm of the ridiculous. People's Egos are funny things....

There is infact a lot of "pieces" of Methodology from Xing Yi, Wing Chun, even Tai Chi, and he also trained and absorbed some of the real Silats when he went to Malaysia & when he trained in the US with Paul de Thouars and William Reeders.

I never knew this; do you have any information to elaborate on regarding Silat and Bruce Lee?

It's safe to say that Bruce Lee studied everything he could out there. However I hear from students of Bruce he was effectively searching for the most simple efficient form of defence. By the end of his life he had moved away from the classical traditional styles such as wing chun and more towards fencing orientation of shortest quickest paths.

It's safe to say that Bruce Lee studied everything he could out there. However I hear from students of Bruce he was effectively searching for the most simple efficient form of defence. By the end of his life he had moved away from the classical traditional styles such as wing chun and more towards fencing orientation of shortest quickest paths.
I think he might have only used some fencing concepts for closing the gap. Although I just watched a few fencing vids and their footwork looks flat-footed and their movements way overextended (in accordance to the rules).

One thing I notice about Bruce is that his stance was always very coiled and balanced - which allowed him to explode on a hair-trigger...

Xx34FlEDtJ4

Whereas I don't see that in fencing, boxing or wing chun. Although far more in boxing than the other 2.

And at the end, he had became even more fluid, catlike & formless - with a lot of constant micromovements - and almost robotic in efficiency.

UfsIGFPxb_w

Thing is, your movements have to be really perfect to look that good on camera, which doesn't miss a single flaw...

Edited by vortex

UfsIGFPxb_w

Thing is, your movements have to be really perfect to look that good on camera, which doesn't miss a single flaw...

He learned that movement at 2:45 from Gene Labelle! A standing Twister variation? Old skhool kalls it Bannana Splits.

Bruce has been my role model since I was a kid, thats 20 years ago. Because of him

I did not get my ass beaten in fights. As an asian kid growing up in white america,

you always get picked on because america was racist. Today america is more

open minded, but back then, total racisim against blacks/asians/hispanics. I see jetli as the new

superstar, but jetli can not do what bruce has done for the world. Bruce came in

when there was nothing and set the foundation. He had to fight racism and

even his own HK people for spreading secrets. I think eventually someone killed him by poisoning him.

He was too good of shape to have suffered the brain edema.

When I was in 7th grade, 9th graders would pick on me. I was very small

and couldn't grow early. Fortunately I had bigger cousins and friends in 9th grade.

One day one of the bully 9th graders wanted to kick my ass and was picking

on me. My friend who was older in 9th grade told him to stop. But he

didn't so we all agreed to meet after school at the track field orchards tree area.

I had about 2 of my cousins each in 8th grade and another friend in 9th grade.

We are all asians. Then comes all the white punks who were also four of them.

Since I couldn't fight, my friend in 9th grade offered to deal with the other

bully for me. Its funny how it started, just like the movie dragon when

jason scott lee is about to fight the wrestler. Are you going to stink me to death?

lol.

The bully is ready to throw a blow at my friend. My friend goes wait, I have to stretch. The bully was

like wtf? My friend does leg stretches and cracks some nuckles and neck muscles and the

bully got scared and said he didn't want to fight anymore because my

friend knew kungfu. The funny thing is my friend didn't know shit. lol. The

bullies never bothered me again. After 9th grade I grew 12 inches and

stand at 5'10. I ended up kicking some ass afterwards by myself.

The bottomline, some kids deserve an ass kicking for being bullies. Its called

learning to respect others.

The bottomline, some kids deserve an ass kicking for being bullies. Its called

learning to respect others.

that is not the bottom line, the bottom line is loving others, especially the bullies

Edited by i_am_sam

that is not the bottom line, the bottom line is loving others, especially the bullies

Kids are stupid. A kid to another kid is stupid. Try to teach a kid who's

parents are also ignorant love. Yeah right. It is only through growing up

and looking behind at how stupid you hurt others that you learn to love,

and thats even a maybe. Some never learn and end up

repeating cycles.

Again, I hear a lot of people especially other Sifu's talk about Bruce lack of

humility, but when you look back at their own career, I

see the same BS. Its only when they see the light, which I believe

Bruce was about to, that is when he died. Once he saw the light,

do you think he will still show no humility?

Bruce was the best out there. He learned and picked up more things

so quickly than any martial artists out there. He was a genius, I guess

thats why he departed so early.

The fact that his son Brandon Lee also died so young shows something

karmic in the works or black magic.

Kids are stupid. A kid to another kid is stupid. Try to teach a kid who's

parents are also ignorant love. Yeah right. It is only through growing up

and looking behind at how stupid you hurt others that you learn to love,

and thats even a maybe. Some never learn and end up

repeating cycles.

I have nothing against Bruce Lee, or the use of violence if necessary to defend yourself, but nobody 'deserves' an ass kicking.

How is using violence on a bully anything other than repeating cycles?

It does nothing but reinforce their behaviour, and maybe makes you feel a bit better.

Doesn't make you better.

And kids are smarter, imho, than most adults give them credit for.

peace