林愛偉

What is the Most Common Problem...

The non-effort comes when so much effort has been put forth in cultivation. Then, its as easy as pie ^_^

Can you elaborate on that? You need to put effort into cultivation as to attain a frame of mind and spirit of effortless-ness?

What is on my mind at the moment is withdrawing projections and scrapping scripts I run that are 'shoulds'... and then in the midst of working to melt away my beliefs that constrict and cause me to be disapointed in others and myself.. wondering how I will find a sense of mutuality with others that works outside of those old structures.

Lin, even seeing your photo here works to make me feel a sense of inner space.

phew.

great idea for a thread.

How do I integrate my interest in cultivation with my study at the university level and later on in my career.

Sometimes I feel like I'm branching off in so many directions. I have the things I am interested in, the things "society" "wants" me to do, the things I have to do for said society, the things I do for myself, etc etc... it just builds up, I want to try and line them all up, but they're totally different things :lol:

Can you elaborate on that? You need to put effort into cultivation as to attain a frame of mind and spirit of effortless-ness?

You need to put effort in cultivating. No effort, no "gain". Effort to sit through the pain, discomfort,

sift through the mind, utilize patience and right thought...

all until it is no longer an effort, but a constant with no non-constant.

watching my partener suffer daily with a disease that has stripped her slowly of all independence.

wakeing every morning to continue to fight a losing battle.

Tonight she told me love wasn't enough for how she feels towards me.

Tommorrow I will sit with her again amongst the storm

Till the last vistage of self has blown away.

And What about you Lin?

Giving someone comfort is a great compassion. Even when they don't see it. Your patience is immeasurable.

Sickness, though a heavy burden, and a heavy suffering, really isn't such a bad thing. Of course our emotions get in there, along with our wants for the suffering to end, but it is still a process of cleaning out the turbid. No turbidity, no sickness.

I live for this world. People's problems are my problems. I too get caught in things here and there in my life which have me utilize strength from cultivation. Without cultivation, I would be long gone already.

The conditions around us press us. How we handle that pressure will allow us to turn to diamonds or dust. If we step in to the world and are aware of our causes and conditions of situations we experience, it is good. If not, it is suffering.

My mother has M.S. It is such that she lives in Florida, and I can not treat her. It is such that her habits keep her where she is. Patience is golden with situations that are not of our favorable outcomes.

When it is time for conditions to change, they will change. In the meantime, offer comfort, be good, and maintain inner calm.

What is on my mind at the moment is withdrawing projections and scrapping scripts I run that are 'shoulds'... and then in the midst of working to melt away my beliefs that constrict and cause me to be disapointed in others and myself.. wondering how I will find a sense of mutuality with others that works outside of those old structures.

Lin, even seeing your photo here works to make me feel a sense of inner space.

phew.

great idea for a thread.

When our expectations of how others should be are put down, we can be free from that condition of insatiability.

Satisfaction in our desires is permanent when the cause of those desires are put down. Though people may be the same on the outside in behavior, we can be a model for them to change...eventually change.

Calm is important. meditation and constant investigating our thoughts, habits of thoughts and speech will plant the seeds of our own clarity to the conditions we face. Thus it is that what we see on the outside which moves us, is a sign of what is inside. We can not be moved unless we have the seeds of attachment to conditions in our mind.

How do I integrate my interest in cultivation with my study at the university level and later on in my career.

Sometimes I feel like I'm branching off in so many directions. I have the things I am interested in, the things "society" "wants" me to do, the things I have to do for said society, the things I do for myself, etc etc... it just builds up, I want to try and line them all up, but they're totally different things :lol:

Your interests in cultivation are for cultivation. It is the cultivation you have to apply to your university studies.

What we face in the world when we are not sitting in meditation, is the teachings which lead us to utilize our skills. We sit, and there is pain...but we are patient, and the pain fades.

Thus it is the same when dealing with people, studies, etc. It will pass, just be there, utilize your patience mind until there is no need for patience to be utilized.

Soceity has its demands, yet if we fall into those demands, we must check our wants and desires. If our desires reflect that of soicetal living, and it disturbs the mind, then put down that desire. In doing so, because you still have the conditions around you, move through the conditions, but remain unmoved by them.

It is in your own cultivation. It is just the mind of preference which only sees it during the time of personal practice. True cultivation is dropping views of a separate time to practice, and doing it all the time. Maybe not holding postures and mindful of energy, but simply the application of patience, that is put to practice, to daily living situations will result in good outcomes.

Edited by 林愛偉

My mother has M.S. It is such that she lives in Florida, and I can not treat her. It is such that her habits keep her where she is. Patience is golden with situations that are not of our favorable outcomes.

When it is time for conditions to change, they will change. In the meantime, offer comfort, be good, and maintain inner calm.

I'm very sorry to hear that Lin, my mother is also not well (heavy deppression). And I think a change of her habits would help her a lot too, and her doctor told her this as well. But habits are difficult to change... In any case, though not meant for me, you give good advice also for me, thanks. :)

Other than that, my problems are basically the same as usual (my habits I guess haha). Procrastination, doing irrelevant things, and so not practicing/studying as much as I should/could. But I'm trying to work on it.

I used to feel somewhat superior to people around me because I was doing meditation and stuff also. It still happens sometimes, but it's very rare. Really I see I'm sometimes just as screwed up (or more) as someone who doesn't do anything at all.

Now my "problem" is more the fact that there isn't practically anyone near me that is into any kind of spirituality. Even a friend who used to be, now pretty much dropped out of it. It can be a little lonely sometimes, thank god for internet haha. But anyway it's very personal for me, so I guess that there isn't anyone here is not so much the problem as is that the people who are just aren't really aware much. And then they pull you down too, back into habits that were being created for some time (I'm not talking about the habits above, that's just me, but for example more emotion stuff). So I can understand when some masters of the past say to leave one's family, friends and even country when you start practicing. All are things with which we form many attachments/habits, difficult to overcome. So this is the area I'm trying to work with, to not get pulled into old patterns of communication and stuff.

I'm very sorry to hear that Lin, my mother is also not well (heavy deppression). And I think a change of her habits would help her a lot too, and her doctor told her this as well. But habits are difficult to change... In any case, though not meant for me, you give good advice also for me, thanks. :)

Other than that, my problems are basically the same as usual (my habits I guess haha). Procrastination, doing irrelevant things, and so not practicing/studying as much as I should/could. But I'm trying to work on it.

I used to feel somewhat superior to people around me because I was doing meditation and stuff also. It still happens sometimes, but it's very rare. Really I see I'm sometimes just as screwed up (or more) as someone who doesn't do anything at all.

Now my "problem" is more the fact that there isn't practically anyone near me that is into any kind of spirituality. Even a friend who used to be, now pretty much dropped out of it. It can be a little lonely sometimes, thank god for internet haha. But anyway it's very personal for me, so I guess that there isn't anyone here is not so much the problem as is that the people who are just aren't really aware much. And then they pull you down too, back into habits that were being created for some time (I'm not talking about the habits above, that's just me, but for example more emotion stuff). So I can understand when some masters of the past say to leave one's family, friends and even country when you start practicing. All are things with which we form many attachments/habits, difficult to overcome. So this is the area I'm trying to work with, to not get pulled into old patterns of communication and stuff.

I'm not worried about my mom. She is manifesting her negative karma. I have mine, and living beings have it the same. It comes in all shapes and sizes, forms, smells etc. How we work with our mind in response to these various guests will determine what our outcomes.

To really get down and dirty, leave it all, and thrust into the poor and hungry. Come to society eveyr now and then, and go back.

Its like cutting out dairy and meats altogether. At first it feels good and you feel light. But every now and then you have a taste and realize how nasty it is...lol For the sake of others, come back and eat a bit of the bitter. Just saying its bitter, its not really bitter, but what most living beings experience, they will call it the bitterness, so we use the term bitter.

I haven't met a taste that can sum up the whole existence of living beings. So, I will borrow just for the sake of mixing in.

Bitter indeed,

sweet as the wind.

Peace,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

Thank you Lin for your thoughtful reply.

This evening we went to see the The seventh dzogchen Rinpoche.A rare treat to have in these parts indeed.

His simple message of taking time to rest the mind,when you feel yourself to be under stress was a gentle reminder to take the time to look after oneself.

Thank you Lin for your thoughtful reply.

This evening we went to see the The seventh dzogchen Rinpoche.A rare treat to have in these parts indeed.

His simple message of taking time to rest the mind,when you feel yourself to be under stress was a gentle reminder to take the time to look after oneself.

:)

When one is refined...refreshed from a good rest, they can do much good for others.

Amitabha!

That's wonderful.

That's wonderful.

Interesting thread.

I'm facing the realization that I am quite a foul person in many ways, and that there is very little space in me left for practice. In truth, there is no time or even aspiration to really have a sincere practice. Only chores.

Karma has finally caught totally up with me.

It's reassuring in a way.

h

Oh Hagar. Your post made me laugh and smile. Really.

Laughter of recognition.

Let me buy you a virtual drink.

This too shall pass.

Interesting thread.

I'm facing the realization that I am quite a foul person in many ways, and that there is very little space in me left for practice. In truth, there is no time or even aspiration to really have a sincere practice. Only chores.

h

Chop wood carry water :)

Oh Hagar. Your post made me laugh and smile. Really.

Laughter of recognition.

Let me buy you a virtual drink.

This too shall pass.

Yup. I'll have a Guiness, please.

And by GOD, how much wood do I have to chop to get a life around here!

h

Yup. I'll have a Guiness, please.

And by GOD, how much wood do I have to chop to get a life around here!

h

Mmm, Guiness. If you give me a few of those I'll bring my axe :)

My most common problem is, how can i practise the Tao when i have a 4 year old and a 9 year old constantly fighting with each other and demanding material goods all of the time, It drives me so mad that i end up swearing at them. This is not the way i wish to live but am driven towards it.

My most common problem is, how can i practise the Tao when i have a 4 year old and a 9 year old constantly fighting with each other and demanding material goods all of the time, It drives me so mad that i end up swearing at them. This is not the way i wish to live but am driven towards it.

According to my spiritual path you are in the best situation for training. If you manage to achieve and maintain your balance in life with your kids with your wife while working your job and taking care of your family and dealing with all the headaches more power to you and no monk in any seclusion with any esoteric knowledge will ever match you.

This is the only way to make real efforts and to advance in your inner practice.

Interesting thread.

h

Recognition of one's mannerisms is a first step to changing one's fate/destiny/karma...what one wishes to call it.

Patience is the key. How? In your daily situations, be mindful of your breathing. Perfect conditions you have, for a fruitful outcome. The outcome is thus order. Oder in the manner of when the conditions arise, you deal with them without thoughts of you being too busy. The conditions are what is in your life, and that is what you must have because that is what you set up for yoruself, or you wouldn't have those things that keep you busy.

Do not discriminate on what you do, or how much you do, but concentrate on them being done. You will find freedom in your "limitations" and attain a state of calm resolve for your cultivation. If the conditions to do standing or sitting have not arisen, why worry about not doing them? They are not getting done either way. Thus, don't bother. When walking, be mindful of posture, when sitting be mindful of posture and when resting be mindful of resting, but do not contemplate the posture and walking, the sitting and resting.

Peace.

The Dao cannot be practiced outside of one's daily conditions. It is the ebb anf flow which lead one to realize the middle way. In action, be without clutter in mind; do not ponder what you are doing while doing it. In teaching, do not attach to the outcome; do not seek for fulfillment of expectations. In speech, hold no criticism; pointing the finger reveals three fingers pointing back.

It is proper cultivation of Dao(Way when the way is not perceived outside of one's workings. Dao is thus, neither up or down. Childern need a model, and need to be directed in a way where they can make their "mistakes" and own up to the responsibility.

If they want things, they can get a job. You wanted children, you manifested the conditions to do so. Teach this principle, and character changes.

A parent is a Bodhisattva of the home life. Puts down one's own desires to fulfill those of the household. In such a position, the master resides not in the head of household, but in the application of maturity, reason without criticism, and the teaching of responsibility.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Wonderful thread Lin :) My problem is letting go. There is some deep seated part of me that has to have control. I can get to the very edge of complete relaxation, but never totally there before my ego (?) jumps in. Thank you.

Wonderful thread Lin :) My problem is letting go. There is some deep seated part of me that has to have control. I can get to the very edge of complete relaxation, but never totally there before my ego (?) jumps in. Thank you.

Complete relaxation is when there is no energy debt within the body., physically. Mentally, :) no more outflows. What is an outflow? An outflow is the outcome of the causes we plant in the mind. Cause and effect, an outflow is the effect, and how we perceive it, it will be the next cause.

When in meditation, it takes practice to just not discriminate on the states; this is stillness, this is bliss, this is love, this is hell...lol, or even... where my dantian, which one is that? I'm not breathing now, my head is pulsing, mmy crown is expanding, third eye vibrating....etc... all of these things end the state we were on.

To keep the mind from pointing the finger, practice this:

When walking in the street, or sitting at home, when you look at something, look at it with unknowing eyes. Practice non-discrimination. When a car passes, and your organ of sight beholds it, listen for that voice that says, Car. Then work to recognize it, as well as other discriminating thoughts. After you are somewhat familiar with that voice, control it. When a car passes, or a beautiful girl walks by, etc, breathe in and out with concentration so strong that you have no other place for that thought of Car, or Girl, to pop up. Eventually, you will not be moved by either, and the method of breathing can be put down.

Peace,

Lin

How does one "wake up" those around him/her? Should one even attempt to do so? People's minds seem so closed. I don't pretend to be fully "awakened" myself, but I feel like I can perceive a level of "reality" that others can not. Maybe I am just delusional haha!

Namo Amitabha!

To be honest that's entirely how I feel.

I try my best to not feel superior than others but I cannot help but feel that way in the presence of those I know are ignorant about meditation and 'internal' arts.

Unfortunately I think I may appear aloof or arrogant as a result?

With the practice of internal cultivation the practitioner can, and with much practice will, raise his/her energy body vibrational rate. When we do this we effect others through the process of magnetic induction. This will help, or at least give a small boost, to their energy body. Because this process is so powerful, we MUST hold to the vibration of calmness so that we do not negatively effect others.

AS far as facing others ignorance: I know initially this is difficult because it is so easy for us to ask "Why can't "THEY" see?" The truth is "they" can't YET see. One of the ways I teach my students to view others is to apply the great High Level teachings of Wal Mart. Simply go to a Wal Mart (or any other really big store) and walk around. For every person you meet see them as they really are by saying to yourself, "This is Me at another stage of development." When you do this SHIFT your vibrational SEEING by putting your focus halfway between you and the person you are trying to SEE. I believe this will give you an entirely different perspective.

Recognition of one's mannerisms is a first step to changing one's fate/destiny/karma...what one wishes to call it.

Patience is the key. How? In your daily situations, be mindful of your breathing. Perfect conditions you have, for a fruitful outcome. The outcome is thus order. Oder in the manner of when the conditions arise, you deal with them without thoughts of you being too busy. The conditions are what is in your life, and that is what you must have because that is what you set up for yoruself, or you wouldn't have those things that keep you busy.

Do not discriminate on what you do, or how much you do, but concentrate on them being done. You will find freedom in your "limitations" and attain a state of calm resolve for your cultivation. If the conditions to do standing or sitting have not arisen, why worry about not doing them? They are not getting done either way. Thus, don't bother. When walking, be mindful of posture, when sitting be mindful of posture and when resting be mindful of resting, but do not contemplate the posture and walking, the sitting and resting.

Peace.

The Dao cannot be practiced outside of one's daily conditions. It is the ebb anf flow which lead one to realize the middle way. In action, be without clutter in mind; do not ponder what you are doing while doing it. In teaching, do not attach to the outcome; do not seek for fulfillment of expectations. In speech, hold no criticism; pointing the finger reveals three fingers pointing back.

It is proper cultivation of Dao(Way when the way is not perceived outside of one's workings. Dao is thus, neither up or down. Childern need a model, and need to be directed in a way where they can make their "mistakes" and own up to the responsibility.

If they want things, they can get a job. You wanted children, you manifested the conditions to do so. Teach this principle, and character changes.

A parent is a Bodhisattva of the home life. Puts down one's own desires to fulfill those of the household. In such a position, the master resides not in the head of household, but in the application of maturity, reason without criticism, and the teaching of responsibility.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Thank you for kind advice.

So in return, how do you relate to loss of control?

h

Thank you for kind advice.

So in return, how do you relate to loss of control?

h

Attachment to expectations and the outcome of unfulfilled expectations.

A question I ask for all you cultivators of the way out here on this forum.

What concerns you in your cultivation, which is basically your daily lives?

What is most prevalent in your minds throughout the day? What do you all contemplate

in regards to your daily life conditions, situations that arise, relationships, family, work,

ideas in cultivation?

The sheer mundane-ness of it all.

Highs and lows occur but I am a silent witness, non-participative. My ego goes about its formulated business of day to day chores, yet I remain silent and withdrawn. I see the 'evil' my ego does, I see others toil in samsara, I see the perpetual unfolding of the ordinary. There is sheer incongruity between who I am and who I have been in this life time.

Constant awareness is so hard, yet so easy. Constant mindfulness is challenging when the ego is seemingly in control of the actions that are supposedly my own.

To bring one's awareness to material fruition. That, Lin, is most prevalent within my mind.

Yours with humble respect,

James