mwight

Off Topic: Anyone Else From The USA Scared For Their Life?

I think preparing in advance is smart, especially if it gives you peace of mind. America is too much reliant upon the threat of law to for social order, things can erupt in the blink of an eye.

Chlorella is a superfood which is almost a stand-alone food. I have vacuum packed tablets which I notice are good until 2011. Another idea.

I watched a couple of those videos and have to point out the pure fear mongering tactics involved here. It looks like a bunch of nut-jobs have made these videos in hopes of getting everyone to panic. Youtube isnt exactly an authorative source of information.

Bear in mind:

The USA is still number 1 financially in the world with the largest enconomy (http://www.aneki.com/largest_economies.html)

Financial crisis happen all the time in lots of countries to little effect for the average person, after the 2nd world war Britian was completely broke financially, yet is now the 6th largest economy.

The USA has strong resources and will never collapse like other countries have. That being said, prepare to be 2nd best to China when they soon become the largest economy.

I cant realistically see anything to worry about here, the only thing of concern is the fear mongering and panic spreading by videos like the ones on this thread and people believing what they hear from any source without justification.

Events like these have happened all the time throughout history, we just hear about them more now due to things like the internet and youtube.

I watched a couple of those videos and have to point out the pure fear mongering tactics involved here. It looks like a bunch of nut-jobs have made these videos in hopes of getting everyone to panic. Youtube isnt exactly an authorative source of information.

Bear in mind:

The USA is still number 1 financially in the world with the largest enconomy (http://www.aneki.com/largest_economies.html)

Financial crisis happen all the time in lots of countries to little effect for the average person, after the 2nd world war Britian was completely broke financially, yet is now the 6th largest economy.

The USA has strong resources and will never collapse like other countries have. That being said, prepare to be 2nd best to China when they soon become the largest economy.

I cant realistically see anything to worry about here, the only thing of concern is the fear mongering and panic spreading by videos like the ones on this thread and people believing what they hear from any source without justification.

Events like these have happened all the time throughout history, we just hear about them more now due to things like the internet and youtube.

Those "nuts" on youtube are speaking more truth than you will ever hear on the mainstream media. The problem my friend is that all previous collapses have been regionally isolated. What we are about to witness is the collapse of the de facto global currency: the US dollar. The United States produces very little now (how many stickers say made in the USA on products you buy?), and it will not be easy to bounce back. I agree with you about China at least. I sounded the alarm for you guys a couple weeks ago. I don't really have much more to say on the subject.

The USA has strong resources and will never collapse like other countries have.

emphasis added mine

In the 16th century if I remember correctly Spain collapsed. Spain was the richest, strongest nation in Europe. It went to America and imported enough shitloads of silver. And yet 100 years later they had to declare bacrupt, and not one but several times.

Those things happen.

If things go bad, as they are, you will have to start the printing press, and if you do that, the other nations of the world will want less and less of your paper. Euro will become even more The currency. When this happens nothing will stop your internal inflation to go really high. Look those trends take more than one lifetime to happen, you cannot base yourself on what has happened in your life, you need to at least expand over centuries and different nations.

Maybe you should start local currencies. But the problem with local currencies is that they are only good in a region. They cannot be used to import food from abroad.

Shit happens.

xuesheng and stigweard have it spot on :D

Guess what, no matter how many cans of beans you store if the SHTF you would only have food for a couple of months max. But, if you learn to hunt, fish and cultivate crops then you can sustain yourself!

That's if you make it alive out of the towns and cities and are prepared to kill for what little resources you have.

It will make life a lot more interesting for sure and maybe I will feel like a real man, living out my nature instead of enjoying constant back pain from being a desk jockey shuffling paper. Who knows, maybe a fairer and more just society could come out of it if there was a purge of the establishment.

That's why I am convinced it would never go that far. The establishment e.g. rulers and the rich would never allow society to disintegrate to the level where they are equal among men. They have to and will protect their interests.

Society of some form would continue even if the SHTF economically. It would take something like a global plauge to destroy it.

Great, more conspiracy bullshit, hey on another note, aliens or some shit are visiting on the 14th of October. I'm leaving this site now, thanks to all the fake posers and conspiracy nonsense.

Great, more conspiracy bullshit, hey on another note, aliens or some shit are visiting on the 14th of October. I'm leaving this site now, thanks to all the fake posers and conspiracy nonsense.

That's the spirit. Call the other kids names, pack up your ball and head home. Why are you so affraid of different ideas and opinions?

That's the spirit. Call the other kids names, pack up your ball and head home. Why are you so affraid of different ideas and opinions?

I agree with him. It's not that I'm scared of different ideas and opinions, it's that this isnt a conspiracy theory forum. I'm not so bothered that I'm leaving the forum but I share the aggrevation. I also understand 'If you dont like it dont look at it' but come on. It's always been the same from the beginning of modern society, "THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING"!!! Is vacuum sealed food and canned goods and a couple of vitamin packs really going to save you from nuclear fallout or what if youre in the direct blast? Are your 'Superhuman' chi powers going to save you? I can answer that just as easily as you. The global economy is what people are focusing on now which is great, take a tad heat off us in the US but in terms of a bad economy??? Come on, people complain about not working when the national unemployment rate is lower than it has been in years, IN YEARS! So, with that said, we are all up the creek without a paddle. We can all get scared about this and about that but christ. What are you going to do personally if the army does kick down your door? I guarantee youre not going to summon the powers from your magical dantiens and start kicking their ass because even if you take out one, you cant dodge the bullets from the one behind him or probably to your side by now. It just reminds me of the whole dbz thing. Lets practice shooting balls from our hands while our ultra cool and stylish hair bleaches instantaneously and I get this kick ass magic aura too!!

Edited by h.uriahr

The establishment e.g. rulers and the rich would never allow society to disintegrate to the level where they are equal among men. They have to and will protect their interests.

Jared Diamond (in Guns Germs and Steel) showed quite clearly how the level of hierarcy in a society depend on the surplus of food/energy that can be produced. Not the other way 'round. Now the leaders of this society might not like this to happen. Might prefer to avoid it, but they cannot change this universal law.

Conspiracy or not conspiracy.

What can happen is that they remain so attached to the little power they have that they damage the ecosystem to the point that they loose much more than if they just have stepped down a bit in the ladder.

And personally I don't see this conspiracy problem. People with similar interest, at similar job if they are high enough in the piramid of power WILL know each other. It is unavoidable. Just do the math!

And of course when they have problems they phone with each other. WHo should they speak to? The plumber who does not even know what GDP is? Com'on. (No offence for plumbers, plumbers too will not consult politicians on how to fix a house, is just that there are more plumbers than secretary of states).

And as part of this discussion they do help each other. It is not strange, we all like to help people that we know over other people. Maybe this is why this system cannot work, but is unavoidable. And it can only be so because this society produces so much over abundance that the people who are dying of hunger are not enough to make a revolution.

Rice, cans of beans etc... Stuff that is cheap, high in nutrition, easily storable and has a long shelf life. For water, the berkey water filters. You may never use this stuff but at least you'll sleep a little better. Also Matt Wight had a great suggestion a while back on multivitamins. You can also google disaster preparedness kits as far flashlights and other tools.

Namo Amitabha!

condensed milk,

dried mushrooms, fruits and vegetables

p.s. i have a shakelight, nice inventions, better than batteries and things

p.s.2. http://eco-cool.blogspot.com/ - it's things like these that will make environmental and political disasters obsolete

So, what would be good foods to stock?

Canned goods with a high nutritional value and a shelf life of many years to come, sterilised milk with a very long shelf life, what else?

And how would you supply yourself with water for months or years?

Basic staples we used to call 'em, and 'tis best you rely less on canned goods than on dry goods, Canned meats being the prime exception. Remember that this is not a gourmet experience.

Purchase in small quantities at a time by dedicating $10-$15 per grocery shopping event as this will go somewhat un-noticed by most.

The large bulk quantity packaging may be more efficient for the dollar, but it is best to buy in smaller amounts. Primarily this smaller packaging is to prevent long-term spoilage during use as these smaller packages can also be used in the household as a normal part of the "grocery" list, thus helping to rotate the stock. Mis-handling losses would also be reduced.

Spices. A word here on these "luxury" items. Rome once paid a ransom to the Barbarians that consisted of large portion of spices. In a barter society these will be worth quite a bit. Purchase spices at an Indian or Pakistani or Asian type market to get the best prices for spices in quantities; this also applies to teas. Shun the supermarket and their high priced glassed-bottled stuff.

Salt & sugar in 1 and 5 lb bags respectively Purchase Iodized salt,for we are speaking of emergencies, right? Coffee and tea, the former in the freeze dried bricks (eliminates the can), and the latter loose.

I consider that a good green tea and an Assam tea as being minimal. Instant hot chocolate in foil packets.

Flour & corn meal in 5 lb bags, corn starch, baking soda and baking powder,

Rice, and white navy beans and small red beans and/or pinto beans for variety, mung beans if you are a monk <grin>. Get the 2 pound packaging.

Oatmeal and "Farina" type hot breakfast cereals in individual or meal-sized packets; spoilage remember? Avoid the crunchy flake, processed, cereals, too much bulk.

Instant potatoes same as above as with milk powder. A few small plastic jars of peanut butter have worth as well. Don't forget the Dried Fruits! there is quite a variety available. a they are a must have.

Dried vegetables, like the dehydrated type for stews, and dried soup mixes.

Black pepper and cayenne pepper as a bare minimum for spices.

Olive oil in plastic bottles, 8-12 Fluid Ounce size. This will be the mainstay frying oil other than small tins of lard or "Crisco," or possibly Ghee. Olive oil has other uses as well.

Well my eyes are getting a bit tired but I hope that one can see the general line of reasoning here. Oh, if you do not know how to cook, now is a good time to learn.

^ Some good tips, but I might add that you might as well pick some healthier foods while you're at it. Watch Daniel Vitalis & David Wolfe Youtube vids on "esoteric alchemical" super nutrition for this. These guys started out as raw foodists, but have evolved from that over the last decade or 2. So, they have several great cutting-edge series there which are INCREDIBLY fascinating & informative!

Now you don't have to go to extremes with superfoods, but at least omit the baddies...

Like I would cut excess sugar out of your diet, which only feeds anaerobic pathogens. Flour is not too great, either. Point being, as global warming and population increases, so will diseases. So, you want to reduce risk factors as much as possible to keep your body defenses up and stay healthy.

Edited by vortex

Just for the record I'm not just stock piling food for hard times, I am about to leave on a 5yr retreat and need it for that also. I plan on growing my own food, herbs etc, canning drying, and scavenging from the wilderness.

I really don't mean to come off as a conspiracy nut, but most of the videos I posted were either our senators talking on cspan or backed up by the army times website. It honestly seems as though we will see martial law in a few years based on what we are now hearing from our elected officials. I just want to be prepared and survive, there is something I want to accomplish in this life, and I don't want to die until I have...

The USA has strong resources and will never collapse like other countries have.

pah! that's funny. every country collapses, the question is just when. mind you, I don't believe now is the time, but the whole world economy was formerly based on the idea that for any reasonable length of time it could be assumed that the US government would remain solvent. that is no longer the case, and the economy is restructuring itself.

The best technique for survival is knowledge. Become aware of local plant life that is edible and how to make snares and traps, what insects are ok to eat and which are tastier. How to start fire, when to start fire and how to cover your tracks. Self defense is nice to know aswell as how to shoot a firearm or learning the bow and arrow or sling for that matter. The US has many a strange happenings. The REAL ID for starters is odd and how about the duracell commercial with the kidfinder on it. You can check out the verichip too, talk about a frightening website. They are serious too. Although, it doesnt help to dwell on the negatives. Remember, there's always a way.

Don't forget a good vacuum sealer, like Food Saver. It'll prolong the life of food by 2 to 3 times.

It seems to be a matter of perspective-

I've been left for dead bythe KKK and had a hit put on me by the high lords of latin kings... those times had me worried too...and yet- Obviously-I'm still here!-

Dirt poor and tranquil in the deluge of potential threats that is life... B)

Less than a year ago I kept a friend from commiting suicide, he is happy these days - My life is a roller-coaster & I prefer it to a merry-go-round of typical existance...

I still can relax and breath

I think it's enough!-

love to all- Pat

It seems to be a matter of perspective-

I've been left for dead bythe KKK and had a hit put on me by the high lords of latin kings... those times had me worried too...and yet- Obviously-I'm still here!-

Dirt poor and tranquil in the deluge of potential threats that is life... B)

Less than a year ago I kept a friend from commiting suicide, he is happy these days - My life is a roller-coaster & I prefer it to a merry-go-round of typical existance...

I still can relax and breath

I think it's enough!-

love to all- Pat

So IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR YYOOUU THIS WHOLE TIME ARGH DEATH TO WAYFARER!!!! :D jk. Sounds like youve had quite the life. Good outlook with all evil youve come through

Don't forget a good vacuum sealer, like Food Saver. It'll prolong the life of food by 2 to 3 times.

Apparently a fridge ionizer prolongs with 2x or more also. (though not a good idea to use when storing live cultures in the fridge also, such as yoghurt, kefir, kombucha, tempeh, buttermilk, etc. because it will kill all kinds of bacteria, good or bad ;) but ofcourse all of those probiotics and cultures could be stored outside of the fridge also or in a seperate fridge or alternative thereof (for example one that uses no electricity like the evaporation fridge, and also alternatively there is a DIY fridge which operates on less than 5 cents of electricity per day. will attempt to find the link and add it.)

DIY Fridge / super efficient fridge

there:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=us&q=D...oeken&meta=

http://mtbest.net/chest_fridge.html

http://mtbest.net/chest_fridge.pdf

other:

http://www.off-grid.net/2007/06/26/fuel-free-refrigeration/

http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/b...igerator-460215

http://www.google.com/search?hl=us&q=D...oeken&meta=

Edited by froggie
  • Like 1

So IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR YYOOUU THIS WHOLE TIME ARGH DEATH TO WAYFARER!!!! :D jk. Sounds like youve had quite the life. Good outlook with all evil youve come through

I figure in a past life I was one heavy sonofabitch to someone... :angry: this time around I forgive and try to forget, it just may be that my karma will get leveled and I'll come back as a mud-sliding happy otter next time 'round... :rolleyes:

in any case if I ever get my lap top to work I hope to write a memoir of this crazy trip-My book of poetry hasn't sold well so far so a book that has sex, drugs, rocknroll and even some spiritualism may keep me afloat for the years to come...

in any case there is nothing that I fear but my own foolishness. :o which does cause some worry...

love to all- Pat

Edited by Wayfarer64

Recession happens. We're over due, the business cycles of growth and bust used to move much faster. I think Taoist81 has said it best.

If your gut says you must prepare, honor the feeling, but realize the worst is unlikely to happen, don't burn bridges and calmly do what you need and relax having done it. Fear helps nothing.

Michael

good call Michael of the past, we had a recession, a bad one, but the worst fears didn't come to pass. 

almost 8 years later the usual.. ups downs life.  

Shit happens, but so do good things.  Its very important to have perspective, know history and listen to both sides of arguments and realize most of the time the big scares are over hyped.  That doesn't mean they all will be, shit will happen, keeps your eyes open.  Calls for Armageddon happen every few years, and as the man falling from the bridge kept saying, 'so far so good' and low and behold there was water below and he was just fine. 

• Like 3

who could have imagined that there'd have been 672 rate cuts since then, and 8 years later the problems are not only still there, but exponentially worse (just not blown up yet)

• Like 1