Has anyone had any experience with his teaching or his online courses?

26 minutes ago, RobB said:

i  took a look. he is par for the course meaning he got nothing.

8 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

i  took a look. he is par for the course meaning he got nothing.

So the WLP connection doesn't count for anything with you?

1 minute ago, RobB said:

So the WLP connection doesn't count for anything with you?

it is actually a red flag. however i was speaking of personal achievements. Brine is teaching neidan. Without having the neidan. Which is hilarious but hey, to everyone his own;)

• Haha 1

Just now, Taoist Texts said:

it is actually a red flag. 

Care to elaborate?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, RobB said:

Care to elaborate?

sure. ask any WLP student what did they get from him exactly? Ask how WLP got in cahoots with David Verdesi and how they  disowned each other over the seminar fees? Ask what WLP got and where is he now? All of this is so past century anyway;) ...its like arguing whether the Ninja Turtles can beat the Transformers, hehe

Edited by Taoist Texts

If I could make public some private letters re the David Verdesi debacle that were shared with me at one point, you would have to reconsider about the "cahoots."   

50 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

Ask what WLP got and where is he now? 

"What he got" and "where is he now" are separate questions.  What he got I saw and experienced, but you won't be convinced.  As for where he is now -- he was teaching seminars in China and in several other countries in Eastern Europe and Asia up until the end of 2019 -- the last one shortly before covid lockdowns began in China.  He hasn't returned to teaching large groups or traveling abroad, but you have to keep in mind that lockdowns were renewed on a number of occasions in some cities in China way after they ended elsewhere, and China's overall human interactions with the West (as well as domestically) have changed pretty drastically.  He's been only teaching small groups locally (in Dalian) -- perhaps as the result of a combo of circumstances and personal choices.  That information is about six months old.  

As for Nathan -- what he got is a translation that was easier to read than the ones appearing before.  There's a new (and probably better) translation just out, by Livia Kohn -- an emeritus professor of Religion and East Asian Studies at Boston University specializing in studies of taoism, one of the top Western authorities on things taoist, author of numerous significant works and translations, and a practitioner herself.  I think if she wasn't phased by gossip of the kind you seem to have believed, she wasn't just being a gullible sucker when she took "what WLP got" seriously.  A gullible sucker is not her style at all.  (Nor is it mine, if I say so myself.)  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pearls before swine... Taomeow. 

Respect for rising and declaring...

that TT dismisses Nathan 'at a glance' reveals much...

TT consistently reveals and props his 'self' up as the perpetual 'master'

What has been revealed by TT's sharings  here compared to my direct experience with Master Wang is TT's mind trapped in its own mirrored bubble.

The wise student hears of the Tao and practices it diligently.
The average student hears of the Tao and gives it thought now and again.
The foolish student hears of the Tao and laughs aloud.
If there were no laughter, the Tao would not be what it is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, RobB said:

If you feel connection to WLP system, Nathan is a good teacher. In fact, Nathan has practiced and learned much more than WLP system, but this is the only one Nathan teaches. Nathan's advantage is that he is fluent in mandarin and he has talked with WLP a lot.

On a personal anecdote, there was an incident one time after his class when he wanted to demonstrate something to a student and accidentally released some amount of qi that was more than he wanted. The student had to sit and wait for 5 minutes before getting back to normal. When people develop their internal qi, it is no joke.

Edited by idquest
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, silent thunder said:

TT consistently reveals and props his 'self' up as the perpetual 'master'

i am a master of my domain

4 hours ago, Taomeow said:

What he got I saw and experienced, but you won't be convinced.

oh i just ask questions, i never argue;)

3 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Pearls before swine...

...and i never get angry;)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

Yeah, that's how it sounded to me.  ;) 

Did I answer your questions to your satisfaction? I was just trying to be helpful, not arguing. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Yeah, that's how it sounded to me.  ;) 

Did I answer your questions to your satisfaction? I was just trying to be helpful, not arguing. 

of course you did , and you were. Thank you very much. Who can forget the curious case of the travelling liver? Not me.

16 hours ago, idquest said:

there was an incident one time after his class when he wanted to demonstrate something to a student and accidentally released some amount of qi that was more than he wanted. The student had to sit

or this. Or the senior citizen who on this forum claimed to deflect a hurricane with magic. If an eyewitness says it happened then it happened. No argument there, i am totally convinced that it did happen for you good folk. Unfortuntely, it did not not happen in my reality which is my loss;)

Going back to the OP, what WLP and Brine purport to teach is immortality (neidan in western parlance) . Its a weird way to make a living but hey, not the weirdest one. Now when a teacher teaches immortality, is either he is  an immortal already - then he knows what he teaches. Or he is not immortal yet - then he is  a fraud. And being immortal or not starts from having a little thing called neidan, or the elixir. So per the OP whoever is interested in Brine  just gotta ask him: "Sifu with all due respect, you teach neidan, so....do you have the neidan? " Then watch the shuffle dance begin.

Posted (edited)

...eh...decided to edit....It seemed funny to me but, then again, maybe not.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

49 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

I remember the anecdote of the travelling liver too

all right hombre thats it,now you owe us a strange and unusual anecdote of your own personal experience pretty please

(not necessarily a haha anecdote, otherwise that would turn into an inside joke) 

54 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

background in electrical engineering?

eh its an albatross around my pencil neck  i tell ya

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

all right hombre thats it,now you owe us a strange and unusual anecdote of your own personal experience pretty please

(not necessarily a haha anecdote, otherwise that would turn into an inside joke) 

eh its an albatross around my pencil neck  i tell ya

Fair enough.  I once got an energy reading from african shaman Malidoma Some.  He threw some cowry shells on my behalf and analyzed how they landed.  The upshot was that I had a spirit hanging around me and needed to do a ritual that involved climbing a mountain (well, large hill really), making a circle of ash and then talking to the spirit.  Something like that.  It was a long time ago and my memory is hazy.  Anyway, like a doofus I decided to talk to the spirit before going to bed that night without bothering about the mountain or the ash.  In the middle of the night, my stereo turned on full blast all by itself.  Very spooky.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

of course you did , and you were. Thank you very much. Who can forget the curious case of the travelling liver? Not me.

or this. Or the senior citizen who on this forum claimed to deflect a hurricane with magic. If an eyewitness says it happened then it happened. No argument there, i am totally convinced that it did happen for you good folk. Unfortuntely, it did not not happen in my reality which is my loss;)

Going back to the OP, what WLP and Brine purport to teach is immortality (neidan in western parlance) . Its a weird way to make a living but hey, not the weirdest one. Now when a teacher teaches immortality, is either he is  an immortal already - then he knows what he teaches. Or he is not immortal yet - then he is  a fraud. And being immortal or not starts from having a little thing called neidan, or the elixir. So per the OP whoever is interested in Brine  just gotta ask him: "Sifu with all due respect, you teach neidan, so....do you have the neidan? " Then watch the shuffle dance begin.

The thing is how do you prove that you are immortal …until you die and then you’re not - if you see what I mean.

8 minutes ago, Apech said:

if you see what I mean.

i totally do. like i mentioned in our field of neidan immortality is predicated on having the elixir. so the elixir is a proxy for immortality. having the elixir cannot be proven to an outsider but having the elixir can totally be verbally proven to an experienced insider. It is the same in Buddhism with 'emptiness', advaita and ony other milestones. Any milestones in buddhism or taoism can be  verbally described and whoever experienced these milestones will unavoidably describe them using  certain keywords (even without ever hearing those keywords before). Thats why i always ask 'hey what thats feel like' and if i get a shuffle dance in lieu of a precise reply i know that is not it;)

1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

I once got an energy reading from african shaman Malidoma Some. 

excellent, here he is https://g.co/kgs/dhtqmDx  (i hope i got the pronoun right)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

i am a master of my domain

...and i never get angry;)

Haven't noticed whether or not you argue, but repeatedly you shit on other's shared experiences, denigrate their schools and lineages with no experience and display a rigid, inflexible attitude and projection of life that speaks distinctly of  your level of attainment and 'mastery of your domain' compared to others in the community and in my face to face experiences.

Hence, trying to share meaningful words with you is like tossing pearls in mud...  though Taomeow has more fortitude than I for this.

C'est la vie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18.04.2024 at 11:29 PM, RobB said:

His "Celestial Eye" or Third Eye lecture showed a complete lack of knowledge...
It was like a person trying to talk about the cosmos and galaxies, but instead of talking about black holes, nuclear fusion and gravity, he ended up talking about zodiac signs and Virgo's relationships with Taurus.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

speaks distinctly of  your level of attainment and 'mastery of your domain'

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

In the middle of the night, my stereo turned on full blast all by itself.  Very spooky.  

I’ve had this happen at a friend’s house too. Music started playing loud through a speaker that wasn’t plugged into the electric socket or into a laptop. No idea where the sound came from.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

Fair enough.  I once got an energy reading from african shaman Malidoma Some.  He threw some cowry shells on my behalf and analyzed how they landed.  The upshot was that I had a spirit hanging around me and needed to do a ritual that involved climbing a mountain (well, large hill really), making a circle of ash and then talking to the spirit.  Something like that.  It was a long time ago and my memory is hazy.  Anyway, like a doofus I decided to talk to the spirit before going to bed that night without bothering about the mountain or the ash.  In the middle of the night, my stereo turned on full blast all by itself.  Very spooky.  

I've read his book.  Some of the stuff therein was truly far out.  By comparison, any and every claim ever made on this forum sounds like a child's announcement that he's big enough to put on his shoes all by himself, and his master is even able to tie his own shoelaces!  But I think that's the general situation with Western practices vis a vis indigenous shamanic ones, wherever the latter might still survive.  I enjoyed the book very much.  If I were to get instructions from Malidoma, I'd follow them verbatim I think.  Maybe. :) 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

… whoever experienced these milestones will unavoidably describe them using  certain keywords (even without ever hearing those keywords before). Thats why i always ask 'hey what thats feel like' and if i get a shuffle dance in lieu of a precise reply i know that is not it;) …

Exactly. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2024 at 11:36 PM, Taoist Texts said:

Any milestones in buddhism or taoism can be  verbally described and whoever experienced these milestones will unavoidably describe them using  certain keywords (even without ever hearing those keywords before).

In Buddhism the signs are "public domain", in the Suttas, or for a summary one can always use Visuddhimagga.

While there do exist keywords, someone who progressed without knowing the keywords would be able to describe it in their own words and it would be pretty obvious what it is.

In Taoism, are the signs described in texts or they're described exclusively via oral transmission?

• Thanks 1