roamthevoid

Alchemical Herbs

47 minutes ago, Maddie said:

Rhino horn is/was a really good Yang/Jing tonic. (not talking about the ethics, just the traditional use) 

Most alchemical and magical herbs can also be used medicinally, but differently.  

For herbs proper, i.e plants, there is an alchemical formula based on a certain vine combined with a couple other native Chinese herbs which is the taoist counterpart of ayahuasca.  Master Wang Liping told me about it when we were discussing my ayahuasca adventures.  His teachers used that concoction on him on a few occasions (don't remember how many, but not many, maybe two or three times.)  It was part of the general alchemical education, not the main focus.  He was of the opinion that risks outweigh benefits in those "shortcuts."  We were talking via an interpreter, and Master either didn't name the plants or the names didn't get translated.     

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Minerals that are used medicinally are also in that category in TCM.  Just the way everything of natural origins they use medicinally is classified.  From the therapeutic point of view it makes no difference -- there's many formulas that contain herbs, animals, insects, and minerals, but the prescribing professional is known as a herbalist (or, as they say here, an herbalist, swallowing the h.)  

Even flying squirrel poop 💩 🐿️ lol

Earth worm 🪱

Scorpion 🦂

Seahorses

Tiger penis

Antler 🫎

Fossil 

Edited by Maddie
  • Haha 1

On 2024-03-12 at 7:28 PM, Maddie said:

"Liu Wei Di Huang Wan" is a good yin, blood, and essence formula. So is "He Shou Wu"

Is it true that He Shou Wu can affect the liver in a wrong way? 

8 hours ago, Nungali said:

Animal parts are 'herbs'   ?   :blink:

We can allow for some nuances lost in translation? 🤔

• Like 1

On 12.3.2024 at 6:11 PM, roamthevoid said:

I've heard from a certain teacher that there are alchemical herbs that can replenish the Jing and therefore assist one's cultivation.

I'd be interested to know what they are or where I can find more info.

Hi! 

From what i was taught is that there are no alchemical herbs BUT alchemical prepared herbs.

Through alchemical preparation their qualities are enhanced dramatically (and sometimes changed).

Mercury for ex. is highly toxic but when one was taught the alchemical secret it becomes lifespan lengthenging, rejuvinating and healing.

Simple form of herbs alchemy that is common today is spagyric. They have replenishing formulas but do not use chinese terms. 

Hope that helps a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MIchael80 said:

Hi! 

From what i was taught is that there are no alchemical herbs BUT alchemical prepared herbs.

Through alchemical preparation their qualities are enhanced dramatically (and sometimes changed).

Mercury for ex. is highly toxic but when one was taught the alchemical secret it becomes lifespan lengthenging, rejuvinating and healing.

Simple form of herbs alchemy that is common today is spagyric. They have replenishing formulas but do not use chinese terms. 

Hope that helps a bit.

"Azoth was believed to be the essential agent of transformation in alchemy. It is the name given by ancient alchemists to mercury, which they believed to be the animating spirit hidden in all matter that makes transmutation possible" I looked up Wikipedia 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Salvijus said:

Is it true that He Shou Wu can affect the liver in a wrong way? 

I never heard that. And I have a degree in TCM and I've been taking it for years.

9 hours ago, Dedicated said:

"Azoth was believed to be the essential agent of transformation in alchemy. It is the name given by ancient alchemists to mercury, which they believed to be the animating spirit hidden in all matter that makes transmutation possible" I looked up Wikipedia 

The universal agent is not mercury. 

Mercury is the basic component of the socalled philosophers stone. Though practically you can make stone from minerals,  herbs etc.

In srictures mercury is called the supreme substances for making it....but one should really know how or it is deadly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Maddie said:

They sure are. 

I know they are sometimes ingredients  for 'medicine' .

Animal parts in Chinese are herbs ????

( Its not that goat / sheep 'thing' again is it ? )

22 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Minerals that are used medicinally are also in that category in TCM.  Just the way everything of natural origins they use medicinally is classified.  From the therapeutic point of view it makes no difference -- there's many formulas that contain herbs, animals, insects, and minerals, but the prescribing professional is known as a herbalist (or, as they say here, an herbalist, swallowing the h.)  

So the Chinese  consider them 'herbalists'    or is that just the tag  English translators  use ?

Meaning :

In English ,   a carpenter works with wood , but also metal brackets and screws , etc . we dont call screws wood as well because they are metal .  Is doing the opposite of this (calling  screws wood, or animal parts herbs  ) what the Chinese do , is it a 'nuance ' of their language , or is it a Chinese term that does describe all this accurately but the English just slapped the term 'herbalist' on them as it seemed the best fit ?

• Like 1

witchery is the common name i think

“Fillet of a fenny snake, In the cauldron boil and bake; Eye of newt and toe of frog, Wool of bat and tongue of dog, Adder’s fork and blind-worm’s sting, Lizard’s leg and owlet’s wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.”

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Nungali said:

So the Chinese  consider them 'herbalists'    or is that just the tag  English translators  use ?

Meaning :

In English ,   a carpenter works with wood , but also metal brackets and screws , etc . we dont call screws wood as well because they are metal .  Is doing the opposite of this (calling  screws wood, or animal parts herbs  ) what the Chinese do , is it a 'nuance ' of their language , or is it a Chinese term that does describe all this accurately but the English just slapped the term 'herbalist' on them as it seemed the best fit ?

The literal translation of the components of the Chinese "herbalim" is "grass medicine study," herbalist -- "grass medicine master."  

The wuxing (5 "elements") theory which is an important part of the foundation of classical Chinese medicine views plants and animals as belonging to the same wuxing phase of qi -- Wood.  From the evolutionary perspective (to name one), this is absolutely accurate.  E.g., genetically we are only half different from bananas (50% of our genes are identical to those of the latter), and our hemoglobin only differs from chlorophyll in that the former uses iron where the latter uses magnesium.  Far as wuxing phases of planet Earth are concerned, the whole totality of biological life is classified as belonging to the Wood phase.   

As Terence McKenna put it, "Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around."  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nungali said:

… 'herbalists' … is that just the tag  English translators  use ?

Yes, it’s 藥 yao4 - medicine 

• Thanks 1