waterdrop

How to make own qigong set ?

I dont mean instead of regular qigong practice etc ...  i didnt remember a full set  (shibashi)  and didnt want to put that much time  to do a full set , so just started to do some random movement i made up and started repeating it but stopped and wondered if it might have a negative effect on some sort  (wondering if i do this movment in long run , or different made up movements in long run if they will have negative effect)   , so i was wondering what are the tips to follow in making your own qigong set  (not talking about spontaneous qigong)   ,  is there a way to cause damage ?

will throw some stuff that i heared here and there  , like :         too much movement in a set  ?        too little movement in a set  ?      no opening ?  no closing ?

How short can a set be and how long ? 

Do you always have to have some opening movement ?  what that movement needs to have ?

Do you always have to have an ending movement ?  what that movment needs to have ?    always push hands down at the end ? 
do you always need to finish with hands on lower dantian ?

What are some damages that can be caused if you dont follow certain rules  (what are they?)   ?    

Maybe not damages but maybe if i dont do certain things a certain way than i miss out on some benifit  (maybe if i dont put hands on LDT than i miss out on some qi ?)   so im asking about tips to get most benifit  (not just to avoid damages)

Edited by waterdrop
  • Haha 1

Unless you’re a master with understanding of qi and TCM, making up your own qigong set is only going to either waste your time and achieve nothing, or harm you.

Let the people who make up their own qigong sets from watching YouTube be your evidence by looking at what lack of development they have, no matter how New Age they may appear.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was spoken that the Qi Sea Ancestor used neither gu nor external supplicants to maintain their internal reliance. Their sea could be measured one way, and had no forms of direction or standard. They considered themselves beneath a human venerable, yet above their mercy. Relying neither on morality of spirit or corruption of heart, the ancestor questioned the difficulty of cultivation. Mentioning that even in barren worlds and outgrown wilderness, if they hold their own qi sea it really cannot be effected by outside capacity. When questioned about a mass mind and transcendance: “Speak further and allow no output”

Studying and meditating on this seems to be the best. Most forget the natural awe of mundanity and scionic representation already disprove any scientific theory on qi needing to be real; so taking this I can only recommend that cultivators in fictional literature really do practice correctly. They are far better teachers than the mundane trash here.

I’ve also heard meditating on three leaves dropping is a good way to receive a cultivation manual.

The Salted Dog is a fantastic cultivation manual for being able to make your own qi-gong. The essence of the salted dog is the same as the bark of an Ego Esper that keeps you were you are.

Meditating on essence and movements during Qi-gong seem nice, then going back down and contemplating the immortal way, which despises any physical movement for gain is the best. Nescience and even the Arrogance of a cultivator are the best things to learn from when reflecting behavior.

Otherwise some attainment of Corpus is necessary. Advance cultivation practices usually revolve around robbing larger objects.

Whereas Mythical cultivation techniques, one’s that don’t rely on Qi, are completely up to talent.

”I stand tall and grow taller” is a Mythical cultivation that is well known and quite obviously the standard if you’re looking to be a Tabula Rasa. Tabula or not, the features are elite and noble. I must say that most people forget the value of Princely value and right foundation.

”I beckon towards the Phoenix Might” is an example of a Mythical cultivation that requires immense talent and bloodline connection. This is all a cultivator will really use to enter the Emotional Realm, which is beyond Qi Practice.

“Foundation is useless unless considering combat” Is the general bookmark of all advanced cultivation manuals. You can honestly start from misperceiving or “dumbly” perceiving advanced cultivation pages

Edited by Mithras
  • Confused 1

You aren't going to be smarter than 3,000 years + of systematic study of the *HUMAN by an ancient civilisation and its associated philosophical and scientific method: Taoism.

FORGET ABOUT CREATING YOUR OWN FORM AS A BEGINNER IN 2023.

You could have had a chance in let's say 1670 prior to any form of modern industrial revolution but only as an experienced practitioner.

Many of today's modern Qigong forms are just fluff. Not deep and lack a deep understanding of TCM and Taoism plus a good amount of grounding work.

Edit:

*and REALITY itself.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 4

Not saying i can be making up a set better than what is taught by different teachers by now   ....  that in certain cases maybe i can do my own set i make up on the spot ,     that still has some benefit  (even if very small)  even if less than some known set   , not in replacement of but on top of a known set  (for example in times i forgot a set moves , or have 3 minutes of time only)            this is what im asking about      (asking what are the guild lines to do so)

I mean doing extra light exercise movement daily is beneficial , adding a few minutes of dancing a day should be beneficial in general  , where is the point where it is soo bad ?   if i do dancing mindfully it becomes bad ?    if i dance slow and i dance mindfully its bad ? 

(again emphasizing  (many other things i think are redundant)  its not that i think i am going to make better sets and start publishing them as a teacher - but if i have a little extra time and dont want to repeat again whatever current set i do (lack of motivation, pain from some movement in the set if i repeat it too much ,  lack of time etc)   or i dont remember a set   ... than i wonder if making up some set for this times is soo bad that some of the replies above seem to oppose it  or it can be beneficial if following a set of guild lines

( Also like many other questions i hope that answers i get can help me understand other things , so for instance good replies here can explain as well why for example on some sets and practices you always put your hands one over the other in the LDT  and why in others they dont do that , some do lowering of the hands movment , in some both  (and maybe if i see some tradition that dont do some of this stuff or all of this stuff than i can know its probably not that good of a tradition if for example they dont do any closing movements   or that the teacher is not good if he doesnt teach that part or skip it)

Edited by waterdrop

Also for example if i practice shibashi and i have less time or less motivated  or want to do one or three movements longer , than maybe its good as long as i do an opening movement ?  or good as long as i do closing movement ?   

the answers to this question can help in many things (like doing part of a set and not just about making one up , or about what is the purpose of different movments or why in the same tradition one teacher does this closing movment and another does a different one and another teacher does two closing movments and one does none )  , not just whatever specific thing people think that i am looking for , but i feel in this forum many of this opportunities to answer questions that help in many ways (answering one question answers many other questions and issues)  are missed

Edited by waterdrop

1 hour ago, waterdrop said:

Also for example if i practice shibashi and i have less time or less motivated  or want to do one or three movements longer , than maybe its good as long as i do an opening movement ?  or good as long as i do closing movement ?   

the answers to this question can help in many things (like doing part of a set and not just about making one up , or about what is the purpose of different movments or why in the same tradition one teacher does this closing movment and another does a different one and another teacher does two closing movments and one does none )  , not just whatever specific thing people think that i am looking for , but i feel in this forum many of this opportunities to answer questions that help in many ways (answering one question answers many other questions and issues)  are missed

From this book he actually says when you start out, feel free to just do the ones you enjoy, in order to start feeling the relaxing movement of the chi.

But once you've got into that relaxed, flowing movement, then you really should start to add all the other movements of the set (although there is no real rush to do this).

Curiously enough, today is my day off from Flying Phoenix Chi Kung and I was going to have a rest day today, but you mentioning Shibashi in this thread has inspired me to do it today instead. Thank you 🙂

The Theory and Practice of Taiji Qigong https://amzn.eu/d/fEIuECG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waterdrop said:

Not saying i can be making up a set better than what is taught by different teachers by now   ....     what i am saying is im looking for just an ok set that has some benefit  (even if very small)

OK, got you. For that try Yang TJQ, a simplified set easy to learn. Very little benefit but at least it'll keep you busy.

Go to YT, type Ian Sinclair Beijing Simplified Yang Tai Chi. He has broken down the whole set in several small videos. Very well explained and easy to follow.

4 hours ago, Gerard said:

You aren't going to be smarter than 3,000 years + of systematic study of the *HUMAN by an ancient civilisation and its associated philosophical and scientific method: Taoism.

FORGET ABOUT CREATING YOUR OWN FORM AS A BEGINNER IN 2023.

You could have had a chance in let's say 1670 prior to any form of modern industrial revolution but only as an experienced practitioner.

Many of today's modern Qigong forms are just fluff. Not deep and lack a deep understanding of TCM and Taoism plus a good amount of grounding work.

Edit:

*and REALITY itself.

Form of modern man is wasted when they haven’t even discovered the hive. The reality is that the warp is far faster at discovery, while true qi cultivation does not rely on human progress

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Gerard said:
  3 hours ago, waterdrop said:

Not saying i can be making up a set better than what is taught by different teachers by now   ....     what i am saying is im looking for just an ok set that has some benefit  (even if very small)

42 minutes ago, Gerard said:

OK, got you. For that try Yang TJQ, a simplified set easy to learn. Very little benefit but at least it'll keep you busy.

Go to YT, type Ian Sinclair Beijing Simplified Yang Tai Chi. He has broken down the whole set in several small videos. Very well explained and easy to follow.

No , that was mis-written and a completely different thing than what im writing from the start ,  i meant to write more or less what i wrote in other places just explain it more clearly , that im trying to understand in what places i can take out parts or if i remember just part of the movements if i can do just what i remember or for example if one movment hurts more than others if i can take that movment out of the set   etc etc   ...    

so wondering about what are the guildlines to a set and of movements 

i will edit that part cause it really is not what i was thinking while writing it ,   here is the edit which is closer to what i had in mind :

Not saying i can be making up a set better than what is taught by different teachers by now   ....  that in certain cases maybe i can do my own set i make up on the spot ,     that still has some benefit  (even if very small)  even if less than some known set   , not in replacement of but on top of a known set  (for example in times i forgot a set moves , or have 3 minutes of time only)            this is what im asking about      (asking what are the guild lines to do so)

Edited by waterdrop

Another example i hear some nice chinese music , getting up and doing slow movments , mindfully ,connecting it to the breath even ,    can that cause damage ?         if i keep doing that for long time that can cause damage ?        ... cause reading some comments here and elsewhere it seems the answer might be yes ?

And if a movement feels nice and i decide to repeat it ?  damage potential ?       

if i do the same thing everyday than damage potential ? 

This thing and many more reasons is why im trying to understand this  (why im asking what are the guildlines of movments , if you can break up sets , what do this opening and closing movments do , if you need to balance certian movment types etc)  , not some train of thought  " i will invent this brand new and better qigong set and will publish it on youtube "  or other similar thing

12 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Unless you’re a master with understanding of qi and TCM, making up your own qigong set is only going to either waste your time and achieve nothing, or harm you.

Let the people who make up their own qigong sets from watching YouTube be your evidence by looking at what lack of development they have, no matter how New Age they may appear.

@waterdrop To make your own "anything", you have to be a master in the respective field, not a beginner, not an intermediate.

These people would not ask questions on public forums looking for advice and help. Higher level knowledge cannot be found in public and open places.

At that level you can easily pick up apart and find errors and flaws in existing systems.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, waterdrop said:

Another example i hear some nice chinese music , getting up and doing slow movments , mindfully ,connecting it to the breath even ,    can that cause damage ?         if i keep doing that for long time that can cause damage ?        ... cause reading some comments here and elsewhere it seems the answer might be yes ?

And if a movement feels nice and i decide to repeat it ?  damage potential ?       

if i do the same thing everyday than damage potential ?

Music + slow movement + attention to breath sounds like dance to me.  Does dance cause damage ?  It depends.  But if you are doing a repetitive set of movement for 20 years.  Sure there are damages.   It applies to many qigong, tennis, using mouse, carrying objects, cooking.  It is called Repetitive strain injuries.  

Feeling nice has nothing to do with possible damage.   Your feelings are irrelevant unless you are at high level.   Then emotional control is very important.

• Like 1

So one thing im asking in that post is where is the line and what causes the damage and how can it be avoided

So one of the main questions here im asking from start  is  about the guild lines :  what are stuff to include in any qigong set (some closing and opening movments ? what to they have to contain?)  ,  and what stuff should be avoided (too much or too strong upper movments and not downward ? too many fast movments ? too many slow movments ? too many leg movments ? too many static positions ? etc) 

Edited by waterdrop

9 hours ago, waterdrop said:

So one thing im asking in that post is where is the line and what causes the damage and how can it be avoided

So one of the main questions here im asking from start  is  about the guild lines :  what are stuff to include in any qigong set (some closing and opening movments ? what to they have to contain?)  ,  and what stuff should be avoided (too much or too strong upper movments and not downward ? too many fast movments ? too many slow movments ? too many leg movments ? too many static positions ? etc) 

The only way you can find out is if you try it out yourself.

But good luck finding someone who can fix you afterwards if something goes wrong.

• Like 1

Most people like their qi gong  sets  composed of  just  movements, postures or  ways of breathing..etc  because they are things easy to understand , however , to create yours  of  these , classified as medical qi going , you still need some profound knowledge of TCM k,  , say what the meridians are, from where to where they run , their relation with dantians..etc . Notice that forms of the body , no matter it is a static one ( posture ) , or active one ( some movement ) , are related to energy , in this case,  qi,  that motivates them . Besides telling people the ways of practicing your system , better also tell   :

1) What benefits  your system can provide

2)What diseases it can cure

3) In case after having practiced your system , some bad side- effects come out, how to tackle them..etc