James22

mopaineikung.com is it legit?

2 hours ago, James22 said:

Has anyone here been accepted to mopaineikung.com, and is it legit? It sounds me good but what to know if it good for me. Anyone have any experience?

Thanks!

No. If you want to learn real Mo Pai you have to go to Java. You also have to be Chinese Indonesian. They don't accept outsiders anymore.

• Like 2

If you want to learn about the experiences of American Mo Pai group influenced by Jim McMillan, that is the site to go to. 

You probably won't gleen all that much from perusing the Mo Pai threads on TDB; many have been hidden away.

There seems to be a consensus in this forum that the videos Jim recorded of John providing instruction to him, are different from what John taught the Indonesian students, and that the level 2b John tested Jim at was different from the 2b the Indonesians were tested at. 

If this is the case as many here state it is, then watching videos of John provide less than authentic instruction for levels 1, 2a, and 2b would be a waste of time.  

There is also a consensus here that it makes more sense to study systems which have all levels available regardless of the results they get than to pursue an incomplete system.

There is also a consensus here that regardless of how simple a concept or exercise is it is impossible to learn it through video, or second hand via second generation students.

If you believe this to be the case as many here do then you would have to travel to Indonesia to find the authentic and complete Mo Pai teachings.

Edited by Iliketurtles

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

A delusional Taoist CULT.

Well Mo Pai comes from the philosopher Mo Tzu, it is not Taoist, it is Mohist. 

Also John was a Christian. 

So perhaps if anything it is a delusional Mohist (with Christian overtones) CULT.

I think many here would agree with your sentiment however.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Iliketurtles said:

If you believe this to be the case as many here do then you would have to travel to Indonesia to find the authentic and complete Mo Pai teachings.

Don’t even waste your time travelling. They won’t accept outsiders. 

@James22 you have to ask yourself what do you want to gain from learning Mo Pai? Is it being able to set things on fire? Is it being able to emit chi like an electric shock to heal people? If you do enough research you will find that those skills can be learned from other traditions, not just Mo Pai and they are available for anyone around the world to learn.  

Like Sifu Jiang Feng (who is not Mo Pai) for example:

We even have a member here who has learned under Sifu Jiang and are giving lessons. 

Edited by Pak_Satrio
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Don’t even waste your time travelling. They won’t accept outsiders. 

@James22 you have to ask yourself what do you want to gain from learning Mo Pai? Is it being able to set things on fire? Is it being able to emit chi like an electric shock to heal people? If you do enough research you will find that those skills can be learned from other traditions, not just Mo Pai and they are available for anyone around the world to learn.  

Like Sifu Jiang Feng (who is not Mo Pai) for example:

We even have a member here who has learned under Sifu Jiang and are giving lessons. 

If you are ethnically Chinese, and they take a liking to you, it is hard to say what the current head will and won't do for you.

Certainly what you posted about Jiang is interesting, but as all these can be faked easily with technology and there were no professionals were present to try and debunk it.  It doesn't seem very convincing to me personally. 

One of Jiang's students posted youtube videos of Siddhi's he supposedly developed, and was offered major big deal money to replicate in private with no cameras even and refused the offer. 

So caveat emptor on that one.

Lots of people here like loneman pai created by son of the gods, that might be a good avenue to explore based on the consensus opinion here. 

Edited by Iliketurtles

17 hours ago, Iliketurtles said:

If you are ethnically Chinese, and they take a liking to you, it is hard to say what the current head will and won't do for you.

I wouldn’t encourage people to go really, they’ve been clear about not accepting outsiders. You could be ethnically Chinese but still be as western in mindset and lifestyle as Jim, Kosta and all the others who have gone to seek Pak John. Better to find a lineage that will be open to you. 

Anyway it’s all up to @James22. We can only give suggestions from our own experiences. He’s free to join or try to join whatever lineage he wants. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

I wouldn’t encourage people to go really, they’ve been clear about not accepting outsiders. You could be ethnically Chinese but still be as western in mindset and lifestyle as Jim, Kosta and all the others who have gone to seek Pak John. Better to find a lineage that will be open to you. 

Anyway it’s all up to @James22. We can only give suggestions from our own experiences. He’s free to join or try to join whatever lineage he wants. 

Before John's last name was common knowledge, I met several Indonesian "students" who did not even know the first letter it started with, and made up all kinds of excuses as to why.

Lots of people claim to be lots of things online because they can.

If your heart is set on mo pai, and your are pure blood Chinese, there is a non-zero chance the current head of the school will help you if it strikes his fancy.

Yes there are schools which are far more accessible, but perhaps maybe not all people are satisfied with rumors and testimonials of their efficacy. 

36 minutes ago, Iliketurtles said:

Before John's last name was common knowledge, I met several Indonesian "students" who did not even know the first letter it started with, and made up all kinds of excuses as to why.

Lots of people claim to be lots of things online because they can.

If your heart is set on mo pai, and your are pure blood Chinese, there is a non-zero chance the current head of the school will help you if it strikes his fancy.

Yes there are schools which are far more accessible, but perhaps maybe not all people are satisfied with rumors and testimonials of their efficacy. 

Well if you knew Indonesia at all (Java specifically) you would know that it’s common for many people to only have one name, unlike in the West where people have first and last names (middle names as well). There are many valid reasons why his students might not have known his last name. They might not have been told or it might not have come up in conversation. The thought to ask might not even have come up for his students because the majority of people they know don’t have a last name. Not everyone is the same as you.

Anyway let’s say @James22 is “pure blood Chinese” (which doesn’t mean much because China is a huge country with many ethnic groups), does he speak Indonesian or whatever Chinese dialect they speak in the school? (It most likely be Hokkien, Hakka or other regional dialects instead of Mandarin). Outsider means outsider, doesn’t matter if you look the same if you are removed from the local context and language. You still aren’t one of them. 

I would rather advise people to not potentially waste their valuable time and money when there are more viable and realistic options available. 

• Like 2

For clarity John had a pseudonym which was Chang then he had his Indonesian name and he had a Chinese name.  The people I spoke with only knew Chang and could not tell me the first letter of either of his last names.  What I was trying to say is that just because people on the internet claim to be something that doesn't necessarily make it true.

You are correct that there are a lot more easily accessible systems however some people may not be willing to accept personal testimony and rumors of their efficacy. 

For those that are willing to accept testimonial and rumor loneman pai seems to come highly recommended and I think it would be a great opportunity for people who want to go with consensus opinion.

24 minutes ago, Iliketurtles said:

For those that are willing to accept testimonial and rumor loneman pai seems to come highly recommended and I think it would be a great opportunity for people who want to go with consensus opinion.

Who needs testimonials when there are videos of the dude LEVITATING! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Well if you knew Indonesia at all (Java specifically) you would know that it’s common for many people to only have one name, unlike in the West where people have first and last names (middle names as well). There are many valid reasons why his students might not have known his last name. They might not have been told or it might not have come up in conversation. The thought to ask might not even have come up for his students because the majority of people they know don’t have a last name. Not everyone is the same as you.

Not to mention that he is not the only teacher, plus culturally, you may not even know a person beyond them being your teacher unless you're in the inner circle already. You have to earn your way into their trust, especially after John had disappointed the elders by bringing in several westerners and giving them as much as he did.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iliketurtles said:

For clarity John had a pseudonym which was Chang then he had his Indonesian name and he had a Chinese name.  The people I spoke with only knew Chang and could not tell me the first letter of either of his last names.  What I was trying to say is that just because people on the internet claim to be something that doesn't necessarily make it true.

You are correct that there are a lot more easily accessible systems however some people may not be willing to accept personal testimony and rumors of their efficacy. 

And you are missing my point. In Indonesia if someone introduces themselves to you as Pak John, then you only refer to them as Pak John. Sometimes people even give their nickname to you during introductions, you might never know their real name unless you see their driving license or passport. It doesn’t matter anyways, that’s the name they told you to use so that’s the name you use. There is no need to find out their last name because it’s not important over there. People aren’t categorised into first name and last name like in the west. I would believe someone from Indonesia who only knew him as Pak John over someone from the West who is obsessed about his true last name, something that can easily be googled nowadays.

Either way we are having a pointless conversation because the chance of anyone from outside Indonesia learning Mo Pai in Java is basically zero. Not worth the risk of wasting your time and money. Also it’s extremely disrespectful to even try and join after they’ve repeatedly said that the lineage is closed to foreigners. But just like the concept of last names not being important, respect is also something lost in translation from East to West. Leave them in peace and learn from a lineage that will gladly accept you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iliketurtles said:

Jim, Kostas, Andreas and a fourth student were all aware of his Indonesian and Chinese names.

Good for them. They are also Western. Indonesians wouldn’t care so much about knowing every single name a person has. Not knowing his last name or Chinese name does not mean they do not personally know him or that they never studied under him. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Not to mention that he is not the only teacher, plus culturally, you may not even know a person beyond them being your teacher unless you're in the inner circle already. You have to earn your way into their trust, especially after John had disappointed the elders by bringing in several westerners and giving them as much as he did.

I think you need to reverse this....The westerners, from what I have been told.... had somewhat disappointed John...not in terms of progression, rather in terms of other things.

Edited by Shadow_self
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

Second-hand knowledge isn't knowledge at all. It's gossip.

I would argue that is why it is so important to get original teachings from the source on video.

8 hours ago, Shadow_self said:

I think you need to reverse this....The westerners, from what I have been told.... had somewhat disappointed John...not in terms of progression, rather in terms of other things.

I think both are true last I checked with my sources in Java. Thanks for elaborating.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

I think both are true last I checked with my sources in Java. Thanks for elaborating.

Yes you are correct, most definitely. It was the situation that I am referencing which lead to the situation you are referencing :)

There was nobody kicked out because of geography per se..it was something else, as you may already very well know ;) 

• Like 2