SirPalomides

New book on Thunder Magic from a Maoshan practitioner

Jason Read’s book Thunder Magic was recently released. Jason Read is trained in the Maoshan school of Daoist magic and those who follow the I Ching and Occult Taoism group on Facebook will have seen his many fascinating posts on various magical practices. This book is quite short but packed with fascinating information and, if you have the time and discipline, a very clear step by step guide to the practice of Daoist thunder magic (雷法). Read asserts that thunder magic has become “rather staid and ineffective ritual curiosities in the hands of the orthodox schools” but has retained its power among Maoshan sorcerers- I wonder if orthodox Daoists would contest this claim. Anyway well worth a look if magic interests you at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SirPalomides said:

Jason Read’s book Thunder Magic was recently released. Jason Read is trained in the Maoshan school of Daoist magic and those who follow the I Ching and Occult Taoism group on Facebook will have seen his many fascinating posts on various magical practices. This book is quite short but packed with fascinating information and, if you have the time and discipline, a very clear step by step guide to the practice of Daoist thunder magic (雷法). Read asserts that thunder magic has become “rather staid and ineffective ritual curiosities in the hands of the orthodox schools” but has retained its power among Maoshan sorcerers- I wonder if orthodox Daoists would contest this claim. Anyway well worth a look if magic interests you at all.

Did you try it out? 

No sex?!?!?! :lol:

1 hour ago, forestofemptiness said:

Did you try it out? 

No sex?!?!?! :lol:

21 to 50 days seems perfectly feasible for most people, no? Heck I haven’t gotten any in nearly a year 😝 

But no, I haven’t tried it out and as a new dad probably won’t have time in the foreseeable future 

6 hours ago, SirPalomides said:

21 to 50 days seems perfectly feasible for most people, no? Heck I haven’t gotten any in nearly a year 😝 

But no, I haven’t tried it out and as a new dad probably won’t have time in the foreseeable future 

He has a chapter in the book on that? 

Not a chapter but he begins with a list of do’s and don’ts for the duration of the training, foods to avoid, optimal times for practice etc. including abstinence from sex. The practice is supposed to extend for a minimum of 21 days and maximum of 50 (I think).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirPalomides said:

Not a chapter but he begins with a list of do’s and don’ts for the duration of the training, foods to avoid, optimal times for practice etc. including abstinence from sex. The practice is supposed to extend for a minimum of 21 days and maximum of 50 (I think).

I looked through the book briefly, but it seems that the first part is to "charge up" so to speak, and the subsequent parts are directing or using the energy. Not sure if this means you have to go through this every time--- the book wasn't that detailed. 

was really interested in this , just got my copy and not sure what to make of it ,

all the practices are visualization which put me off straight away , I really dont think this would build up yang chi.

then there is sanskrit elements in some of it which was abit puzzling ?

all in all quite disaponted considering how much i was looking forward to it.

The images needed to be bigger aswell so you can clearly see the chinese letters.

• Like 2

Im curious about what exactly this practices lead to. Are we talking about controlling eletricity? Is it more of a metaphor? Have anyone here achieved the endgame of the book?

Edit:

Sincere apologies to all who read and "liked" my post for deleting it on second thought.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, centertime said:

what can it be used for? This magic...

For healing and hurting -- extended to all spheres of existence. 

3 hours ago, ronko said:

was really interested in this , just got my copy and not sure what to make of it ,

all the practices are visualization which put me off straight away , I really dont think this would build up yang chi.

then there is sanskrit elements in some of it which was abit puzzling ?

all in all quite disaponted considering how much i was looking forward to it.

The images needed to be bigger aswell so you can clearly see the chinese letters.

Visualization has been a major part of Daoist magic since, well, forever I guess. Sanskrit and even Buddhist stuff is pretty normal in Daoist practices, especially in the more folksy “heterodox” strands. I don’t believe Maoshan is classified as “red hat” but it seems they are in some respects closer to that spectrum than to Zhengyi, Quanzhen, etc.

Could be interesting sending Benebell Wen some pix of the included talismans see what she thinks

20 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Edit:

Sincere apologies to all who read and "liked" my post for deleting it on second thought.

why did you delete it ? you made valid points

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Edit:

I thought it was VERY on point. I respect the decision not to keep it up, though. 

Edited by forestofemptiness
  • Like 1

Like one of those Tibetan sand paintings destined to be destroyed or the oral history of a now forgotten spiritual tradition, not everything survives the ravages of (seemingly) linear time.  I´m learning to deal.  In my perfect world I´d have a study with a large leather bound volume -- The Collected Deletions of Taomeow -- but, alas, I do not.  C´est la vie. 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Like one of those Tibetan sand paintings destined to be destroyed or the oral history of a now forgotten spiritual tradition, not everything survives the ravages of (seemingly) linear time.  I´m learning to deal.  In my perfect world I´d have a study with a large leather bound volume -- The Collected Deletions of Taomeow -- but, alas, I do not.  C´est la vie. 

if the post is valuable, make a copy of the post :D 

There are some posts, which i do copy and write notes to every sentence made...

Edited by Indiken
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ronko said:

why did you delete it ? you made valid points

8 hours ago, forestofemptiness said:

I thought it was VERY on point. I respect the decision not to keep it up, though. 

Thank you, @ronko and @forestofemptiness .  I decided not to ignore the uneasy feeling I had after posting, which I attributed to my somewhat unclear overall relationship with Maoshan tradition.  Thought I might do better not aggravating it with any opinions that may upset anyone from a lineage I generally respect.  

8 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

Ever so honored. :)  To quote my favorite poet (in my prosaic translation), "one could populate a whole city with people who have forgotten me."  To say nothing of posts that have been deleted by me.  

43 Words You Should Cut From Your Writing Immediately

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've rather enjoyed Jason's Facebook group and received this along with other PDFs prepared for people looking to practice. This is intimately related to the Daoist roots of Reiki.

2 hours ago, GreytoWhite said:

I've rather enjoyed Jason's Facebook group and received this along with other PDFs prepared for people looking to practice. This is intimately related to the Daoist roots of Reiki.

How did it work for you? 

I've not really done the prescribed exercises as I already received a Lingbao transmission - it's just filling in gaps for me. I've been practicing talismans the past 3 years or so now. Jason is a cryptolinguist by education and training who has spent much time in China and married into a sorcerer's family. If you want more information about other, similar Daoist practices I was pointed this way. I'm primarily waiting for his Fox Immortal book - it's going to have information on Liu Ding Liu Jia practices that will fill in the Chinese gaps a bit better on the Kuji Kiri I learned from Chris Matsuo's students.

https://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Sky-Secrets-Acquisition-Exercise/dp/157062660X

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Pavilion-Taoist-Peace-Healing/dp/0804830606

• Like 2

Receiving content for free is a double edged sword. I've noticed that most people never even value what they have and as a result don't use it to any great degree. Deep Gnosis, cannot be found, through spiritual fast food. Healthy and mutually beneficial exchanges are optimal.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GreytoWhite said:

I've not really done the prescribed exercises as I already received a Lingbao transmission - it's just filling in gaps for me. I've been practicing talismans the past 3 years or so now. Jason is a cryptolinguist by education and training who has spent much time in China and married into a sorcerer's family. If you want more information about other, similar Daoist practices I was pointed this way. I'm primarily waiting for his Fox Immortal book - it's going to have information on Liu Ding Liu Jia practices that will fill in the Chinese gaps a bit better on the Kuji Kiri I learned from Chris Matsuo's students.

https://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Sky-Secrets-Acquisition-Exercise/dp/157062660X

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Pavilion-Taoist-Peace-Healing/dp/0804830606

Hi , I noticed in your journal you mention mao shan 5 elements practice ,could you give more info on that ?