chino

Damo Mitchell's Internal Arts Academy - who's up for splitting a subscription?

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, so basically the $40/month subscription fee is way too steep for me. I'm wondering if anyone would be up for splitting a subscription fee and we can share the account. 

Let me know! 

Cheers 

 

I'm a uni student and really can't afford it lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chino said:

I'm a uni student and really can't afford it lol


why not go for stuff you can afford? :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find a girlfriend, that way you can both share the cost and practice together.

 

P.s. sharing account is not a good idea, as it can be easily seen that two different pc's, different ips, and use platform at same time. Which may lead to a ban.

Edited by XianGong
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chino said:

I'm a uni student and really can't afford it lol

Here's what I would do in your position.  Start saving money now and set aside enough for 2 or 3 months of the Academy.  Start a subscription when your spring term ends.  Spend your summer break hitting the Academy material hard - there is an insane amount of material available from month 1 if you are motivated.  Weekly lessons in all modules (nei gong, taiji, bagua), stand alone courses (qigong foundations, heavenly streams, four dragons), and recordings of over 10 live zoom classes.  If you get through all of this, you will have plenty to practice while school is in session, when you might not have the ability to be keeping up with all the new practices from the weekly lessons anyway, so it's no real loss to cancel your subscription when school starts again. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent suggestion @Creation

 

26 minutes ago, XianGong said:

P.s. sharing account is not a good idea, as it can be easily seen that two different pc's, different ips, and use platform at same time. Which may lead to a ban.


There‚Äôs other reasons why trying to game your spiritual teacher is not a good idea ūüėĄ

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll echo creation on this one mate. 

Save up, then start when you have a few months worth of funds.

 

Chances are, you'll garner more than you can chew in the first few lessons anyway and can take a break from the monthly subscription while working on the foundation.  And while you work on the foundation, start saving again to pick back up in a bit.  I expect you'll be able to pick right up where you left off no problems.

 

I definitely wouldn't begin a system of internal energetic cultivation, by bypassing the agreement with my new teacher.

 

(I have an anecdote about the sensitivities regarding teachers and their students that applies to this very thing, if interested.)

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

(I have an anecdote about the sensitivities regarding teachers and their students that applies to this very thing, if interested.)

 

 

This is the Dao Bums... We're always interested in anecdotes and stories :) 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, freeform said:

There‚Äôs other reasons why trying to game your spiritual teacher is not a good idea ūüėĄ

 

Tbh there is nothing spiritual in the platform. He's very wary of putting something serious online as he said himself. I.e. whenever he is not allowed to do so, or he is afraid of consequences. Platform has good basics of the basics of energy work. Most lectures are on topics like qi deviations, qi balancing and so on.

For most specialized courses like on alchemy, platform, even yearly subscription does not give access, so you have to buy them as standalone course for an extra of 200-500$ something. 

 

As for taichi baguazhang and gong fu, or body stretching, this is a bit far from esoteric, secret or powerful arts, to say the least.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, anshino23 said:

 

This is the Dao Bums... We're always interested in anecdotes and stories :) 

 

Spoiler

I was on a retreat and would arrive early for sessions and read in my spot.

 

I was working through one of Jerry Alan Johnson's books at the time and someone came in and asked what I was reading.  So I showed him and he noted that he recognized the book, and also noted and commented that Jerry's chop was on the cover and commented that that meant I'd purchased it and it wasn't one of the pirated copies floating around. 

 

This particular book of Jerry's is self published and he printed it and sent it directly.  It was rather pricey as books go (and worth far more than I paid, for the record).  So some folks choose to recopy it rather than purchase it.

 

I confirmed I'd purchased it directly from Jerry.

 

This guy then shared the following experience.

 

He shared that he'd come into possession of one of the pirated copies and was reading it when his teacher, who knows Jerry very well (I believe they studied together) saw this, noted that it was a pirated copy and then related to his student a powerful lesson.

 

As he related the meaning of the chop or seal on the cover and it's significance to the book and the overall work and information inside.  He then shared one of Jerry's chops and while holding a crystal up, lit a flame and looked through the crystal at the chop.

 

Moments later his phone rang.  It was Jerry was on the line. 

 

"Hey my friend!  Did you need something?"

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XianGong said:

Tbh there is nothing spiritual in the platform.


Whatever is on the platform is not particularly important. And I’m not worried about Damo losing out on tuition fees.

 

But if you‚Äôre looking to seriously start undertaking a practice - and you start that relationship by ‚Äėcheating‚Äô, that creates a certain cause within your own psyche that will unfold usually pretty negatively for you... that‚Äôs all.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

 

  Hide contents

I was on a retreat and would arrive early for sessions and read in my spot.

 

I was working through one of Jerry Alan Johnson's books at the time and someone came in and asked what I was reading.  So I showed him and he noted that he recognized the book, and also noted and commented that Jerry's chop was on the cover and commented that that meant I'd purchased it and it wasn't one of the pirated copies floating around. 

 

This particular book of Jerry's is self published and he printed it and sent it directly.  It was rather pricey as books go (and worth far more than I paid, for the record).  So some folks choose to recopy it rather than purchase it.

 

I confirmed I'd purchased it directly from Jerry.

 

This guy then shared the following experience.

 

He shared that he'd come into possession of one of the pirated copies and was reading it when his teacher, who knows Jerry very well (I believe they studied together) saw this, noted that it was a pirated copy and then related to his student a powerful lesson.

 

As he related the meaning of the chop or seal on the cover and it's significance to the book and the overall work and information inside.  He then shared one of Jerry's chops and while holding a crystal up, lit a flame and looked through the crystal at the chop.

 

Moments later his phone rang.  It was Jerry was on the line. 

 

"Hey my friend!  Did you need something?"

 

What is a "chop"? Is that a personal seal of the author? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chino said:

Hey guys, so basically the $40/month subscription fee is way too steep for me. I'm wondering if anyone would be up for splitting a subscription fee and we can share the account. 

Let me know! 

Cheers 

 

I'm a uni student and really can't afford it lol

Why not write to Damo or his group and ask for a discounted rate after explaining your trouble? You might be surprised by what a little bit of humility and honesty can get you.

 

I know teachers who waive fees altogether if students are going through financial trouble -- my own teacher offered to waive his fees when I was at risk of getting laid off at point -- it wasn't that he charged a lot, but it was a genuine gesture of a genuine teacher. Thankfully, I was able to afford to continue paying him -- as students, we have a responsibility towards our teachers. They share their knowledge and wisdom with us, and we must ensure that they can continue to do so for the benefit of all others who approach them as well. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, dwai said:

Thankfully, I was able to afford to continue paying him -- as students, we have a responsibility towards our teachers. They share their knowledge and wisdom with us, and we must ensure that they can continue to do so for the benefit of all others who approach them as well. 


Well said :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, XianGong said:

For most specialized courses like on alchemy, platform, even yearly subscription does not give access, so you have to buy them as standalone course for an extra of 200-500$ something. 

Lots of the standalone courses have overlap with the weekly material.  Dan Tien Gong is already central to the program, alchemy and sound work lectures start to show up early in year 2 etc.

 

I've not yet taken any of the the standalone courses so I can't say for sure, but I imagine they give him an opportunity to go deep into the central components of the Nei Gong process.  I'm planning on taking one next month to address a weak point in my development.

 

As far as I can remember, one key difference between his live teaching and online teaching of the Nei Gong process relates to bring a bit more conservative with Dan Tien activation and setting off Zi Fa Gong.  Other than that, the platform actually allows for an incredibly amount of detail to be put through, where when you're training with him for a few days there's only so much he can talk about.

Edited by Wilhelm
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, freeform said:

But if you‚Äôre looking to seriously start undertaking a practice - and you start that relationship by ‚Äėcheating‚Äô, that creates a certain cause within your own psyche that will unfold usually pretty negatively for you... that‚Äôs all.


Well, No.

The only way you can get those "negatively psyche that unfolds from inside" is by self-programming yourself that they will unfold, i.e. by believing people who say that this happens when it does not happen. But why would one create negative thinking patterns that are useless in cultivation. 

 

14 hours ago, chino said:

Hey guys, so basically the $40/month subscription fee is way too steep for me.

 

Look at it another way, online academy access is actually cheap. But on the road of cultivation, there are bound to be other expenses, offline retreats? those will cost much more, and not just tuition, but visas, plane tickets, accommodation, food, transport e.t.c.
If you cannot afford something most basic and cheap, MB you should focus on other things in life first. I have spent more than 20000$ on cultivation alone in the past 5 years. Some people spend 10-100x much more than this.

 

4 hours ago, freeform said:


Whatever is on the platform is not particularly important. And I’m not worried about Damo losing out on tuition fees.

 

Of course, he does not care whenever he will get 49999$ this month or 49970$ from prerecorded lectures. Most people don't care about money once they go past million dollars in their pocket. Cultivators don't care whenever they have 5$ or 5$billion in their pocket.

 

What mind boggles me, is that people who buy online lectures and books believe they have "spiritual teacher". Moreover some basics of energy work and kung fu. 

A spiritual teacher is a deep connection, that is someone who works with you personally 1v1, observes you and nurtures your spirit. Not someone whos lectures or books you may have read a few times. Who may never even remember or know your name among hundreds and thousands of other students?
Spiritual teacher, you will be sensing his presence daily and he may come in lucid dreams when u have full control over yourself and teach you stuff. I am not sure if Damo has this level...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, XianGong said:

Well, No.

The only way you can get those "negatively psyche that unfolds from inside" is by self-programming yourself that they will unfold, i.e. by believing people who say that this happens when it does not happen. But why would one create negative thinking patterns that are useless in cultivation. 

This assumes a personal belief can supersede the function of karma.  If this were true, we'd all be better off modeling ourselves after sociopaths rather than saints.

 

Quote
4 hours ago, thelerner said:

Damo's very generously has a 7 hour free course- https://damomitchell.com/2020/03/23/microcosmic-orbit/

Many good books too, with nice discount for Kindle based. 

 

Second this.  You can get a couple years foundational work out of this course and his core textbook if you'd like a low-cost alternative (though it might feel a bit disjointed learning this way, there's plenty of material there).  The first exercise in the MCO course can also help with a lot of the stressful outcomes school can bring.

Edited by Wilhelm
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, XianGong said:

A spiritual teacher is a deep connection, that is someone who works with you personally 1v1, observes you and nurtures your spirit. Not someone whos lectures or books you may have read a few times. Who may never even remember or know your name among hundreds and thousands of other students?


You're right that of course this is not what you get from any online training.
 

But when in-person retreats will be a thing again, it’s quite possible to meet with him. And unlike many teachers, he knows all of his returning students, their names and energy signatures (along with any changes and developments there) - and he has hundreds of them. It’s quite impressive actually.

 

I get borrowing a book, or reading a pirated copy to check it out... even looking through a few videos on a friend’s account..

 

but taking on a pretty serious daily practice that a teacher took great lengths to develop and present - and starting that relationship with some underhanded swindle - that’s certainly one of the least auspicious starts I could think of - for the new student.

 

Oh and justifications don’t help... they just hide that karmic nugget in a layer of ignorance.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, thelerner said:

Damo's very generously has a 7 hour free course- https://damomitchell.com/2020/03/23/microcosmic-orbit/

Many good books too, with nice discount for Kindle based. 

On the one hand it's generously to offer a free mco course...on the other hand it's useless until one has not built the dantien in the right way. And these exercises are not included in the course and I don't know any person who will give these exercises for free.

So, first step is building the dantien with the proper tools and 2. step is the mco...as I am informed. 

Best wishes 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, freeform said:

But when in-person retreats will be a thing again, it’s quite possible to meet with him. And unlike many teachers, he knows all of his returning students, their names and energy signatures (along with any changes and developments there) - and he has hundreds of them. It’s quite impressive actually.

 

As far as I know, there is no means to come 3 people in 1 on offline retreat, and swindle the teacher by claiming all 3 are one being and pay only for one being, for teachers energy work. 

 

4 hours ago, freeform said:

but taking on a pretty serious daily practice that a teacher took great lengths to develop and present - and starting that relationship with some underhanded swindle - that’s certainly one of the least auspicious starts I could think of - for the new student.

 

Oh and justifications don’t help... they just hide that karmic nugget in a layer of ignorance.

 

You are just imposing your own delusion/perception about something on other people. Like I said there is no "spiritual connection" and lectures are not "cursed" so anyone watching them without paying, will not suffer, from anything, ever. Some will have less motivation to study if they get something for free, that is true, but that is psychology, not a "DIVINE INTERFERENCE OF KARMIC COSMIC LAWS", somebody made up in their head.

Imagining yourself karmic nuggets is a sign of the mundane mind, what you people forget is that life ends and everyone will die. 

 

As for @chino in question, money means a different value for different people living in different parts of the world. For British or American 40$ is pocket money worth 1 dinner in a restaurant, for someone in Africa it could be a monthly salary. There are plenty of free sources and he could group up with other people to crowdfund academy access, and if "Sharing account is a problem with someone", One guy could teach another guy by himself, rephrasing the lectures. You might even progress much faster if you teach the knowledge you absorb. 

Ignorance is thinking $$$ is the same value for everyone.

 

Whatever arts Damo is teaching, do not belong to him in the first place. Moralism is not equal to Cultivation.

 

11 hours ago, Wilhelm said:

This assumes a personal belief can supersede the function of karma.  If this were true, we'd all be better off modeling ourselves after sociopaths rather than saints.

 

Your idea of karma is only your personal belief, it has nothing to do with reality.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, one more bit to add, neigong, qigong and martial arts are not Egregorial practices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Feng69 said:

on the other hand it's useless until one has not built the dantien in the right way.


Yeah MCO is somewhat advanced... but not completely useless.

 

I think he has methods to develop the LDT in his books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, XianGong said:

Egregorial


Ohhh - you’re one of those.
 

That explains the attitude. 

 

Happy travels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, freeform said:


Yeah MCO is somewhat advanced... but not completely useless.

 

I think he has methods to develop the LDT in his books.

Ah OK, thank you for mentioning that. 

My statement was nothing against Mr Mitchell. Sorry if it seemed like that. 

Only wanted to say that this free course is the step after building the dantien. 

I like the videos of Damo Mitchell. 

 

Best wishes 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites