johndoe2012

Internal alchemy for everyone

Saw this review on Amazon- I wonder how accurate it is. If it is, then I'll pass on this book!

The first section of the book was an interesting overview of Chinese Alchemy - 1 star for that section.
The book tries to clear up a lot of confusion as to what alchemy actually once you get past all the poetry - 1 star for trying to clear it up.

However, the title of the book "Internal Alchemy for Everyone" suggests that there will be practices that anyone can do. This is where the book simply doesn't live up to it's title.

The first stage is a 100 day practice, not too bad I thought. Then you read that you need to:. 1) Get enough money together as you'll be on retreat for 90 days. 2). You'll need to abstain from sex, meat and anything stressful. 3) You'll need to meditate about 6+ hours a day including at midnight and follow a strict schedule.

That is just stage 1 which the book says will get you a bit of benefit. So you spend half the book looking at the theory and that this book will clarify the method only to be told that even the first stage is beyond the reach of most people. Suffice to say that stage 2-4 are even more extreme.
Maybe this is an accurate depiction of what it takes to be successful at Chinese Alchemy, fair enough but don't call the book "Internal Alchemy for Everyone" as it gives a false impression.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

If only we can just blast ourselves with radiations and get easy superpower like in those Hollywood movies

Too bad we'll only get supercancer instead

Edited by Lazgrane
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Internal alchemy is not for everyone. Title is misleading.

• Like 3

At least maybe it's in terms anyone can understand, even if not able to practice. Then if people interested in the topic can see the gory details instead of a bunch of poetry, they will be motivated to finally "shit or get off the pot"