Earl Grey

nCov19 Development and Prevention Discussion Only

3 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Sure, just look at the lynchmobs dancing around Heartbbreakers threads.

Even some "teachers" (of what I don't know) getting involved.

Honing insults is the whole point of tdb for many these days.

Post irrational and insensitive crap and people respond to you with sardonic crap, old boy.

3 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Sure, just look at the lynchmobs dancing around Heartbbreakers threads.

Even some "teachers" (of what I don't know) getting involved.

Honing insults is the whole point of tdb for many these days.

Not even close to the whole point.  But, I thank you for a civil response.

6 minutes ago, thelerner said:

while he could be more diplomatic, rideforever brought up an interesting point about Do Nothing vs Suppression strategy.

Anyhow, to me the above chart shows that amongst countries with the earliest infection, that the rate of infection isn't growing exponentially, ie along the 33% increase (dotted) line. 

Early on most countries (except early quarantine Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong) follow the 33% exponential line.  I see the chart showing as time goes on, most countries are moving below it.  Remember this chart since its cumulative amount will never a bell curve. 

Less people getting infected should be a good thing, ie buy hospitals time to treat the most devastated (old or not).  Or at least help in that direction.  Though the Do Nothing theory is take the hit/high casualties in 2 or 3 months, or risk not developing long term herd immunity and getting a contagion that drags on as well as long term economic devastation.

My guess is both will happen.  We'll try to suppress, buy time, but economic forces will shatter social isolation and maybe that natural mix will be.. idk 

I love the way you fill gaps.

2 minutes ago, moment said:

What are you talking about - the way this website works, is that new people arrive ... and then a gang of old timers and wanna be gurus turn up and take pot shots at them.

Civil ?  What are you talking about - this place is full of hatred.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, moment said:

I love the way you fill gaps.

huh, thats just what my wife was saying last night.

apologies to Steve Carell

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, rideforever said:

What are you talking about - the way this website works, is that new people arrive ... and then a gang of old timers and wanna be gurus turn up and take pot shots at them.

No, a bunch of friendly people with informed opinions have a laugh at people who have ZERO self-awareness about the nonsense they spew and the arrogant self-certainty of how flat the earth is or make up their own pseudoscience about climate change, how certain Taiji styles activate dantians, and now ignorant crap about coronavirus.

Stupid is as stupid does. 

But as usual—talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish, so might as well have a laugh and let him continue being the clown without makeup.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

No, a bunch of friendly people with informed opinions have a laugh at people who have ZERO self-awareness

Your teacher taught you to be an ahole with a cartoon character for your picture.

Ima and spiritual .... around the world it is in a state of decay.

11 minutes ago, rideforever said:

I said thank you for your civil response.

12 minutes ago, thelerner said:

huh, thats just what my wife was saying last night.

apologies to Steve Carell

I am not going to touch that oneB)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Your teacher taught you to be an ahole with a cartoon character for your picture.

Ima and spiritual .... around the world it is in a state of decay.

No, I chose to point out when the emperor has no clothes and call a fool a fool. 

It's as if everyone forgets chapter 81 of the Tao Te Ching. 

Spoiler

81. THE SHEWING-FORTH OF SIMPLICITY
True speech is not elegant; elaborate speech is not truth. Those who
know do not argue; the argumentative are without knowledge. Those who
have assimilated are not learned; those who are gross with learning have
not assimilated.

The Wise Man doth not hoard. The more he giveth, the more he hath; the
more he watereth, the more is he watered himself.

The Tao of Heaven is like an Arrow, yet it woundeth not; and the Wise
Man, in all his Works, maketh no contention.

Trans. by Crowley, A.

I suffer no fools nor do I brook lazy thinking, which is worse than not thinking--all of which you happen to do. :rolleyes:

Edited by Earl Grey

58 minutes ago, rideforever said:

WHO is showing exponential rises currently.  What do they know.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

Also China, although it has enforced very strict measures not possible in the West, is not finished but trickling along.  

I've assumed the chart gets its data from WHO. 

Its good that China is 'trickling along' and not growing exponentially.  Its the first and hardest hit nation.  But Italy**, Iran, France & South Korea are also increasingly dipping below the 33% exponential curve.  Which to me shows that like China, infections (at the moment) aren't growing exponentially.  Ofcourse this could change.  <I expect social isolation to splinter in a few weeks, likely leading to the rate going back up>

Newly hit countries are definitely seeing exponential rises, but early hit ones may be seeing a slow down.  We'll know more as days and data come in.  And that is why this is such an important chart imo.  

Like the raw WHO data, I'd like to see how this chart develops in the following weeks.

** Italy is seeing many new cases, its bad but I don't believe its exponential growth.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Also China, although it has enforced very strict measures not possible in the West, is not finished but trickling along.  

Wait to see what happens to their numbers two or three weeks after they all go back to work.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, rideforever said:

If you send kids home then their grandparents will have to look after them whilst parents are at work.
Which will kill the grandparents.

Children and young people very rarely get infected so they should stay at school and not hang around at home infecting the older generations.

they get infected and can be infectious without symptoms.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Apech said:

they get infected and can be infectious without symptoms.

Yes, the good news for most resistant people is that this virus is so weak for the majority that they may not even realize they have it.

A new study estimates that 86% of COVID-19 infections in China went undiagnosed before the country's travel ban was enacted on January 23.

People who had not been diagnosed with COVID-19 were the source of 79% of reported cases in China.
while celebrity actor Idris Elba had no symptoms, he took a test that revealed he has COVID-19.

The bad news for the vulnerable minority is that asymptomatic transmission vastly increases their risk of getting it.

Edited by gendao
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, gendao said:

Yes, the good news for most resistant people is that this virus is so weak for the majority that they may not even realize they have it.

The bad news for the vulnerable minority is that asymptomatic transmission vastly increases their risk of getting it.

Idris Elba visited The Candyman Strings & Things here in Santa Fe before he was tested. The store has closed temporarily. I used to go in that shop quite a bit. 

• Like 1

Apparently Japan has a VERY promising vaccine that has shown very good results in a test of over 350 people in China.

Sitting on our hands as Rideforever suggested is and has never been what humans do - unless it is a king in a palace that shut his own people out of the fortress. Or people that have gone mad and followed an idiot putting people into ovens.

It is an amazing thing to worry on the side of a few good years of an economy and not think in terms of human life. The Shithole mind of Trump thinks that way - but he is clearly a person with very certain mental dysfunctions.

The number of people that declare bankruptcy in this country (USA) because of inadequate health care and health care denial and delay and litigation is intolerable - yet the shithole minds of those that love action when it comes to war and bombing can't seem to see how absurd it is in their narrow myopic lack of vision. 

Our debt to the Chinese just from the money Bush Jr. borrowed for the rediculous and worst run war in our history - the Iraq war - just the interest is enough to pay for health care, homeland security and education combined. 

Shithole minds that proffer up dime store la de da simple minded answers should continue to do the menial things they are best suited for - even if that is squandering over 400 million of their daddys money.

https://www.thebalance.com/medical-bankruptcy-statistics-4154729

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Spotless said:

Apparently Japan has a VERY promising vaccine that has shown very good results in a test of over 350 people in China.

Sitting on our hands as Rideforever suggested is and has never been what humans do - unless it is a king in a palace that shut his own people out of the fortress. Or people that have gone mad and followed an idiot putting people into ovens.

It is an amazing thing to worry on the side of a few good years of an economy and not think in terms of human life. The Shithole mind of Trump thinks that way - but he is clearly a person with very certain mental dysfunctions.

The number of people that declare bankruptcy in this country (USA) because of inadequate health care and health care denial and delay and litigation is intolerable - yet the shithole minds of those that love action when it comes to war and bombing can't seem to see how absurd it is in their narrow myopic lack of vision. 

Our debt to the Chinese just from the money Bush Jr. borrowed for the rediculous and worst run war in our history - the Iraq war - just the interest is enough to pay for health care, homeland security and education combined. 

Shithole minds that proffer up dime store la de da simple minded answers should continue to do the menial things they are best suited for - even if that is squandering over 400 million of the daddys money.

https://www.thebalance.com/medical-bankruptcy-statistics-4154729

Trump claims he knew it was a pandemic before it was a pandemic, was briefed in January regarding COVID-19, said it was no problem since it was a foreign virus, for two months it was fake news and a hoax. Now he is serious that being a "war president" something must be done. VIP's are getting tested, but everyone else is screwed!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, steve said:

Spotless, are you referring to a vaccine or an antiviral? I suspect you mean antiviral - 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/flu-drug-could-treat-coronavirus.html

You are correct - my point was that we are already seeing possible positive solutions and it supports the notion of flattening the curve

and such simple and helpful measures as sequestering in place and distancing ourselves - sane solutions rather than burying our heads in the voids of air heads that are clueless.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spotless said:

You are correct - my point was that we are already seeing possible positive solutions and it supports the notion of flattening the curve

and such simple and helpful measures as sequestering in place and distancing ourselves - sane solutions rather than burying our heads in the voids of air heads that are clueless.

I agree completely.

Separation means flattening the peak number of cases. It also spreads it out but that is not the crucial factor.

If we can’t keep the peak of the curve below the critical threshold of hospital capacity, people begin to die needlessly. We have limited beds, ventilators, and supplies. And the providers will get sick as well.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ralis said:

Trump claims he knew it was a pandemic before it was a pandemic, was briefed in January regarding COVID-19, said it was no problem since it was a foreign virus, for two months it was fake news and a hoax. Now he is serious that being a "war president" something must be done. VIP's are getting tested, but everyone else is screwed!

The “war president” who was afraid to serve. He is a fucking coward, a fucking liar, and a fucking narcissist. Everything always is, always was, and always will be about him and him alone.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Spotless said:

We went to Trader Joe's 20 minutes before closing and was able to buy a few things. The shelves were mostly cleaned out. A few idiots didn't respect my space and I was very close to saying a few words! Of course I would attempt to hold back a few well chosen expletives, but if necessary I will make my case known!

Hoarding has become a real problem here!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ralis said:

What Shithole Trump claims is an ongoing sickminded maze and con. 
Mexico will build our wall and his daddy only loaned him 1 million dollars. How far we have come.

16,000+ lies and counting

and the Evangelicals all have brown noses

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2