futuredaze

Did the U.S. really go to the moon in 1969?

19 hours ago, thelerner said:

a) I always wonder what level of disbelief I'm dealing with?  Do you believe in outer space?  Or is there a dome and we live on a flat earth?  Do you believe the sun is a star or a giant bright flashlight?   Do you believe rockets exist?  Or that the entire history is made up?   Were there space shuttles?  Did they fly?  Are there satellites in space, giving us weather for 40 years, GPS, broadcasting? 

Put simply what parts of physics and engineering do you believe is a hoax, that only the brightest and most paranoid can see through. 

b)We have been back to the moon, just not manned.  We've had satellites circling it, getting high res pictures (including pics of the original landing sites) and bouncing radar but landing hasn't been worth the price, instead the 100's of millions were put into the International Space Station, exploring other planets and asteroid belt.  The cost of the original manned were in the billions (Total Apollo cost about $25 Billion).  So it can be done, cheaper but we're still talking 100's of millions.. mostly for a photo ops.

Wait, though its visible with the naked eye, and is continually manned and taking hi res pictures, do you believe in the International Space Station?  Doubters try to use 'science' to debunk, but mostly prove they don't understand the science.  They'll look up melting points, but not understand that temperature works differently in a vacuum then in an atmosphere, just like water boils different at high altitudes.  We know these things because science asks questions and sets up experiments to find the truth.   Because skeptics don't know history they won't or can't look up hundreds of tests done, step by step to get us here. 

They ignore rockets and high altitude balloons that took us to the edge of space in the 40's and 50's.  The first astronauts were balloonists.  We learned about the atmosphere and vacuum from them.  Progressively we got launched rockets and planes higher and higher, learning as we went along.  Our rockets went higher.  We launched dogs and monkeys into space.  So did the Soviet Union.  Almost a dozen countries have launched satellites plus private companies.

Using the scientific method, we set up experiments and we learned.  Most of us, anyway.  One could read the books, learn about the pioneers in aerospace; the hows and the whys that made there progress.  It's amazingly documented.  These people are proud of there accomplishments.  We have the pictures and the people are still alive, mostly.  You can talk to them, read there books, follow the steps..

Tech improved and these actions were not done in isolation.  The original launches of satellites from Sputnik on, were tracked around the world.  All of these things were tracked.. well you know where I'm going.. being a doubter is easy, being a scientist, or engineer, putting in the study is hard. 

As the world grows more paranoid and superstitious..stupider, it'll be more dangerous.  Diseases that have been cured will re-appear cause why trust modern medicine?  Early warnings of danger from tech satellites etc., will be ignored cause they it could be faked and lying.  Ideas easily and thoroughly debunked decades ago, will..

Well ....    well,....   but  ....  <bluster>  ....  LOOK !   I just want to NOT believe in the Moon landing  ok !  .... and you go and spoil it all !  :angry:

Regarding all your  sciencey talk above , and asking me why .....     .......     .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zerostao said:

yes snopes ( a mom & pop operation) hold the keys to all Trooths.

our governemnt or any government would never lie to its people or swindle them.

nvm the 21 trillion found at the pentagon they shouldnt have had, well they lost it, conveniently.

people at the top are never greedy crooks.

here is the Apollo 11 press conference after returning from the moon.

notice how the three astronauts are able to look the audience in the eye and exhibit confident body language befitting national /world heroes that had just accomplished the greatest feat in technological history. they sure look like confident honest joyful achievers of the highest level to me.

The basic principles of physics are believed because they are repeatable, the world is not chaos , the technology that got us there is still understood , and the same rocket could be built today, proving plausibility.

I know people who worked on the space program , did testing on the rocks themselves, and while that itself doesn't 'prove' that the flight took place , it certainly puts the onus on refuting that it did. 

Basically everyone is being called liars dupes and idiots , who participated ,,so  I wonder how this serves any purpose to have doubt in so much of society , for such a menial matter. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

Why? Or how? Are you sure that $1/per day/per person countries would have exposing so high on their list of priorities?

Russia?

China?

Cuba?

North Korea?

Iran?

Do you think any of these countries wouldn't expose the US moon landing as a fraud if it had not actually happened? Hmm, if only we had a way of looking up towards the Moon and verifying if the astronauts actually landed...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

Russia?

China?

Cuba?

North Korea?

Iran?

Do you think any of these countries wouldn't expose the US moon landing as a fraud if it had not actually happened? Hmm, if only we had a way of looking up towards the Moon and verifying if the astronauts actually landed...

This!

The USSR had every reason to expose such a hoax and the means to do so.

12 minutes ago, Stosh said:

The basic principles of physics are believed because they are repeatable, the world is not chaos , the technology that got us there is still understood , and the same rocket could be built today, proving plausibility.

I know people who worked on the space program , did testing on the rocks themselves, and while that itself doesn't 'prove' that the flight took place , it certainly puts the onus on refuting that it did. 

Basically everyone is being called liars dupes and idiots , who participated ,,so  I wonder how this serves any purpose to have doubt in so much of society , for such a menial matter. 

i never said the science was lacking for such a venture. the fact is stosh, that NASA itself says that it cannot duplicate going to the moon today. this is easily googled i am sure. the fact that it cannot be done today does not in itself prove that it never happened at all, but you brought up onus of proof and that works both ways.

Further, let's put this in the context of the 1960's; when we had CIA killing JFK, RFK fell by the wayside too, MLK, and even pop culture icons jimi, janis, and jim all fell to something. the government of the 1960s could be trusted?? at the height of the cold war?? what a bluff at the poker table, we just landed on the moon, don't even think of challenging us.

please view the following

so is it repeatable ?

then repeat it.

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, zerostao said:

i never said the science was lacking for such a venture. the fact is stosh, that NASA itself says that it cannot duplicate going to the moon today. this is easily googled i am sure. the fact that it cannot be done today does not in itself prove that it never happened at all, but you brought up onus of proof and that works both ways.

Further, let's put this in the context of the 1960's; when we had CIA killing JFK, RFK fell by the wayside too, MLK, and even pop culture icons jimi, janis, and jim all fell to something. the government of the 1960s could be trusted?? at the height of the cold war?? what a bluff at the poker table, we just landed on the moon, don't even think of challenging us.

please view the following

so is it repeatable ?

Sticking to the subject.. what makes you think they cannot build the same rocket ?  , (or find a big bird to ride on for that matter)

16 hours ago, Aetherous said:

Some conspiracy theorists are pretty dedicated, and I'd say spend their lives studying their topic of interest...much more so than the average person who has simply read of the work of experts...and unlike the accusation that they all just fall for confirmation bias.

Anyway, I mostly agree with you here, and am really just playing the devil's advocate. I have a distaste for strongly worded appeals to authority.

Well, I don't disregard it. Knowing that it's the third leading cause of death is part of being informed.

?

:huh:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/282929.php

https://www.healthline.com/health/leading-causes-of-death

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-leading-causes-of-death-in-the-us/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/235703/major-causes-of-death-in-the-us/

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20160701/top-10-death-causes

Just now, Stosh said:

Sticking to the subject.. what makes you think they cannot build the same rocket ?  , (or find a big bird to ride on for that matter)

NASA openly admits it cannot.

NASA openly admits it cannot.

Since this is you half of the argument to make , rather than mine to hunt up , where did you read that? 

Just now, Stosh said:

Since this is you half of the argument to make , rather than mine to hunt up , where did you read that? 

scientific american

i will post a link when i get the time

Edited by zerostao

15 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

Do you think any of these countries wouldn't expose the US moon landing as a fraud if it had not actually happened?

Why so few North Koreans know about the 1969 Moon Landing
The DPRK authorities' cover-up of a pivotal moment in history is a remarkable story of censorship

Hmm, if only we had a way of looking up towards the Moon and verifying if the astronauts actually landed...

We?

Edited by Taoist Texts

1 minute ago, Taoist Texts said:

Hmm, if only we had a way of looking up towards the Moon and verifying if the astronauts actually landed...

We?

I'm talking about telescopes.

Frankly this conversation is stupid. Let's go back to something civil like Mo Pai.

• Haha 3

scientific american

Thanks , and I will read it likewise.. but I 'warn' in advance , Scientific American doesn't endorse conclusions -it judges whether a paper is written according to proper method , and provides interest. One could submit a paper on the Yeti , and if it fits parameters , they would print it. 

5 minutes ago, Stosh said:

Thanks , and I will read it likewise.. but I 'warn' in advance , Scientific American doesn't endorse conclusions -it judges whether a paper is written according to proper method , and provides interest. One could submit a paper on the Yeti , and if it fits parameters , they would print it. 

my bad it was Forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2015/12/11/how-we-lost-the-ability-to-travel-to-the-moon/#6b7408ba1f48

i dont believe everything i read (unless it is govt sanctioned! lol) however i do hold scientific american, wsj, forbes as credible

but it certainly makes sense to go ahead and lose technology of that level, i reckon :rolleyes:

Edited by zerostao

These are logistical reasons , being proffered , it's not disproving of 

"the technology that got us there is still understood , and the same rocket could be built today, proving plausibility."

Since the claim is not about lack of understanding the technology. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

Assume the moon landing was faked. Every country in the entire world would be HIGHLY MOTIVATED to expose the lie. Yet not a single one has. Therefore the ENTIRE WORLD must be in on the lie. Yes, that must be it.

Not necessarily, we were not in on it down here, they used trickery  ... they used our  'dish'   to relay the film, after beaming it up to a satellite, then we picked up the signal and thought it was from the Moon  and relayed it to NASA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dish

They used the Aussie space tracking centre for a reason , ya know    ( that is, no one else backward or stupid enough to fall for it ).

Edited by Nungali

Just now, Nungali said:

Not necessarily, we were not in on it down here, they used trickery 

Don't get me started on Australia. Everyone knows the Earth is flat and Australia is a hoax. I mean, how could it exist? Gravity would pull you into space! Come on! Do I look that stupid?

2 minutes ago, zerostao said:

Farther along in the article presented....

"First - the plans for the Saturn V DO still exist (despite internet rumors to the contrary), but as others have stated, some of the exact manufacturing processes used to make some of the parts were never written down. So we have the design of the part, but would have to re-create the process of making the part.

If money were no object, and the objective was to re-create in exact detail, a perfect flying replica of the Saturn V, using genuine 1960's hardware - that would be a very very difficult and expensive task!  Could it be done? Absolutely! "

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Patrick Brown said:

.....    If the length of the lower support column of the lunar lander was 4 feet tall, this would indicate that the astronaut was over 8 feet tall, which none of the astronauts were. .....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

Let's go back to something civil like Mo Pai.

Well this conversation could always join the various Mo Pai and Trump threads in the pit...

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, zerostao said:

scientific american

I have read it to, from several sources. There is a variety of reasons why.  Some reasons that are not technical ( that is, not  relating to the science or technology ) are often more compelling than those that are .  Again - the example of The Great Pyramid .  Could we do that again  - probably ... will we do that again  - probably not .

• Like 3