Hi there,

I had the realisation of having aphantasia about 2 years ago, ever since then my mind became fixated on curing myself and redeveloping the skill possesed by 99% of the population.

Through my fixation i learned obsessively about everything i could relate to it: digestion, diet, nutrition, leaky gut, chakras, energy, reiki, ibogaine, ayahuasca, god

In part i am very grateful to it, because only through the realisation of having aphantasia did i become spiritual, reiki level 2, meditation initiated and fundementally a happier human being through my reconnection with the devine.  

Every free moment that i have i like to read about ayurveda, yoga, hinduism, energies etc and super interested in alternative medicines considering that i have tried most of them and on my way to study them on my new life path of becoming a natural healer :D

So happy for my new life path, but still there is the aphantasia hanging around almost like a curse. I have considered many causes including stuff like carmic debts and i am almost out of ideas...

I am begging anyone that might have tools to help me understand and overcome the affliction known as aphantasia.

Thank you in advance,

Human

• Like 3

Hello, Remake, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Welcome Human,

Aphantasia is an interesting condition and very rare. I don’t know anything about curing it, but sometimes a curse can reveal itself as a blessing. Had it not been for this, maybe you wouldn’t have found all of the spiritual stuff you’ve found. Maybe you wouldn’t have been here. 

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

Remake, can you draw a camel on a piece of paper ?
Well how do you know what it looks like ?
Obviously something inside you knows.
Do you imagine anything ?  Where does this take place ??

Do you dream ?

• Like 1

Hi Remake.  Welcome.

I'm sure you will get more advice.  Consider all but be judgmental.

As always, buyer beware.

• Like 1

Hi Remake, Welcome to the forums.  Is Aphantasia the issue or the obsession to overcome it? I am glad this search made you learn other things and progress spiritually.  As long as you are seeking for a solution without obsession it should be fine.  But sounds like there is an urgency and desperation in your seeking to find an answer for this.  In my experience that can become an issue.  Anything we seek with obsession becomes a hindrance for us in many ways, including that very desire becoming a road block to achieving that which we seek obsessively.

I came to know I have this condition last year.  Read about it a little and then just let go.  I am not sure if there is a cure or fix for this.  In my opinion, it is very unlikely.  It could be part of our making, like how some people are astrally blind and there could be a reason for it.  Why view it as a curse, does it impair your abilities to function severely?  There are also advantages to this condition.  You can't daydream like others, right?  That is a huge plus.  Even if it impairs some things, it is better to just let go, accept the condition.  Acceptance does not necessarily mean not seeking a solution for it.  A calm mind without any impediments and present in the moment has a higher chances of finding the answers.

There were some momentary instances with very high energy flows, when it felt like I was able to overcome this condition and visualize things.  But, otherwise not. Sorry, I can't provide a solution for this.  I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Best wishes!

Siva.

• Like 2

Hi, 

Do you have dreams? 

If your mind dreams, you can't have aphanthasia. It's just that your imagination is not as vivid as you would like it to be... which is normal. 

Perfect visualization would imply eidetic memory that currently none has. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cheshire Cat said:

Hi, 

Do you have dreams? 

If your mind dreams, you can't have aphanthasia. It's just that your imagination is not as vivid as you would like it to be... which is normal. 

Perfect visualization would imply eidetic memory that currently none has. 

I have dreams, but still can't picture things clearly while awake.  So, yes imagination (with picture) is not so vivid to the point it is non existent many times. I think there are also different degrees to this.

On 11/18/2018 at 11:46 AM, Remake said:

Hi there,

I had the realisation of having aphantasia about 2 years ago, ever since then my mind became fixated on curing myself and redeveloping the skill possesed by 99% of the population.

Through my fixation i learned obsessively about everything i could relate to it: digestion, diet, nutrition, leaky gut, chakras, energy, reiki, ibogaine, ayahuasca, god

In part i am very grateful to it, because only through the realisation of having aphantasia did i become spiritual, reiki level 2, meditation initiated and fundementally a happier human being through my reconnection with the devine.  

Every free moment that i have i like to read about ayurveda, yoga, hinduism, energies etc and super interested in alternative medicines considering that i have tried most of them and on my way to study them on my new life path of becoming a natural healer :D

So happy for my new life path, but still there is the aphantasia hanging around almost like a curse. I have considered many causes including stuff like carmic debts and i am almost out of ideas...

I am begging anyone that might have tools to help me understand and overcome the affliction known as aphantasia.

Thank you in advance,

Human

Have you taken the "Vividness of Visual Imagery Questionnaire"?

What a fascinating topic!  My preconceptions of how minds operate were utterly blown open when I discovered my wife is Aphantasiac.  I didn't know Aphantasia existed and we only came to investigate it when I was very curious about the structure of a particular house she was describing in one of her dreams.  I have a secret desire to build out retirement home out of components of her literal dream houses, so I keep a log book of sorts.  One time, when really trying to pin her down on the details of a dream home I wanted to sketch we hit a crossroads.

Me:  (after a few go rounds of trying to get details) But what were the exact details of the rooms?  Plants?  windows?  furniture? High ceilings?

She:  Normal ceilings... and that stuff was all there, but... well, I can't tell you how it was exactly, I don't see things in my dreams... I just feel them... I just know what's occuring." 

Me:  :blink:  what do you mean you don't see anything in your dreams?

She:  I don't picture things... iit's not like I actually see stuff... I just experience them... there is a knowingness.  I just know what's occuring.

Me: so you see nothing?!

She:  no.  Why do you think I'm always so amazed at the details you describe in your dreams.  It boggles my mind that you actually see everything so clearly.

Me:  (mind numbed and blown open... goes to internet searches 'people who can't form visual images )  Wow, hon... you are not alone and I had no idea this even existed.  You are Aphantasiac and do not form mental images.

She:  um... yes... yes.

Some studies estimate up to 12% of the population does not form mental images when thinking. 

Yet one still dreams without imagery.  It takes place as a 'knowingness' instead of simply seeing virtual visual images.  My wife has a full dream life, yet she feels what occurs, instead of seeing it.  It's never seemed to impact her as she was thriving in her career when she stepped away and meditates regularly, readily falling into what we have come to call 'the grey zone' with relative ease.

I now sometimes recognize it in folks at work.  Particularly in our Art Department.  The design team comes to us with ideas about a set for a show and I'll notice when I'm describing to them the manner in which we'll go about trying to build what they are describing, their eyes gloss over and they can't follow what I'm describing.  This is due to them not forming mental images of it.  So, when words fail, we draw pictures, or even do small or large scale simple mock-ups of what we propose.  Then the light bulb goes off and we can proceed on common ground... or not.

As for working on visualizing.  There's a book and process for physical visualizing techniques that may be useful to you, not sure if it will lead to images, but I really appreciate it.  I can't recall the title and author and have to leave for the studio in a few minutes, but I'll have the title for you this evening when I get home. 

eta:  the book is Energy Work by Robert Bruce.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 2

It blew my mind when I first realized other people actually see pictures in their heads. Thanks to the internet I discovered what aphantasia is and suddenly it all made sense. @silent thunder have you made any progress with your wife? I'd really like to be able to "fix" this quirk as I spent so long wondering why any type of visualization exercise never worked for me. On the flipside I can hear with a level of intricacy that most people can't imagine so there's always an upside to everything I suppose.

3 hours ago, Seeking said:

It blew my mind when I first realized other people actually see pictures in their heads. Thanks to the internet I discovered what aphantasia is and suddenly it all made sense. @silent thunder have you made any progress with your wife? I'd really like to be able to "fix" this quirk as I spent so long wondering why any type of visualization exercise never worked for me. On the flipside I can hear with a level of intricacy that most people can't imagine so there's always an upside to everything I suppose.

Hey there Seeking.

My dear gal is wholly unphased by aphantasia and seems uninterested in gaining/learning the ability to visualize.  It is utterly natural to her to be as she is and has been her entire life and there is no sense of lack. 

She has a robust energetic life and is highly intuitive and keenly insightful, one of the most potent energy sensitives I've ever met.  Perhaps were she to begin visualizing, it could manifest as a hindrance instead of a boon.  She does marvel when I share my descriptions of my dreams and ideas, but never feels left out, or less than, only intrigued that I see things so vividly, that are utterly abstracted and purely noumenal.

I do recall a book that broached the topic of visualization for those who are not inclined to it.  I'll look for it in my collection and post the title here later.  The key to it had to do with 'kinetic visualization' using physical touch to aid in moving the mind toward visualizing.

Peace

/|\

• Like 1