Lightseeker

Any spiritual techniques to increase intelligence and IQ?

not everyone gets to be a farmer

I guess today I can choose the grab the shovel and plant my coneflower before the fall

True intelligence is that of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.  It is finding a way out of suffering for oneself and others.  Anything else aimed at seeking worldly success or pleasure is just ignorance and the opposite of intelligence.

True intelligence shines like a light and is illuminating to all.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, s1va said:

True intelligence is that of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.  It is finding a way out of suffering for oneself and others.  Anything else aimed at seeking worldly success or pleasure is just ignorance and the opposite of intelligence.

I think you're referring to wisdom. 

And I believe there can be a disconnect or misunderstanding regarding success and pleasure. If you don't agree, what is your understanding of all accomplishing wisdom?

(I'm going to be heading out for a few hours, although I do look forward to any discussion on this topic.)

• Like 2

Lately I've been thinking...one can be super intelligent, basically genius level in terms of IQ tests, in terms of being able to figure things out, in terms of insight...but still feel like an enormous dumbass with knowing the ways of the world! It's easy enough to develop high intelligence or wisdom with spiritual methods. It just happens as a side effect.

But not being a dumbass is the true challenge. It requires gaining personal experience...failing at things (not intentionally, but a result of having tried to do something), learning from the mistakes of others and avoiding those things, being attentive and listening closely to what people discuss, reading the fine print and understanding everything rather than glossing over, etc. Be cautious!

you-dont-have-bad-luck-the-reason-that-b

The victor isn't unscathed. Mistakes are made, and if you're smart, you will learn from them. The more you learn, the less of a dumbass you are. But there's always something new the world throws at you, which reminds you of how lacking in intelligence you truly are.

There's no secret trick or method to avoid being a dumbass...if you go into ritual magic to develop intelligence, I assume it will make your life even more of a challenge, rather than an easier way. But maybe that's the first step toward becoming intelligent - realizing how dumb you actually are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

I think you're referring to wisdom. 

And I believe there can be a disconnect or misunderstanding regarding success and pleasure. If you don't agree, what is your understanding of all accomplishing wisdom?

(I'm going to be heading out for a few hours, although I do look forward to any discussion on this topic.)

No, I was not referring to wisdom in this case.  Buddha also laid out practical steps and found methods that can work and was able to make an impact and create a true change that could last for a very long time.  He found ways to pass that wisdom and share the light.  This is what I referred as intelligence.  Yes, it can be a byproduct of wisdom, but is not wisdom in of itself.

Nice discussion!

• Like 3

true intelligence shines like a light is your version of what you have defined true intelligence to be-

what did life look like for you prior to cultivating your shining light?

and what if I disagree?

true intelligence to me looks like the dirt nest I saw yesterday on window ledge of an exterior house. a little bit bigger than a pea size

molded into what looked like a pottery jug. beautiful

its storming outside and I would like to have a peaceful Saturday--

Edited by sagebrush
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

true intelligence shines like a light is your version of what you have defined true intelligence to be-

what did life look like for you prior to cultivating your shining light?

You are assuming I cultivated light and there was a time it was not there.

3 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

and what if I disagree?

You are more than welcome to disagree :).  It's just my point of view.

1 hour ago, s1va said:

No, I was not referring to wisdom in this case.  Buddha also laid out practical steps and found methods that can work and was able to make an impact and create a true change that could last for a very long time.  He found ways to pass that wisdom and share the light.  This is what I referred as intelligence.  Yes, it can be a byproduct of wisdom, but is not wisdom in of itself.

Nice discussion!

Intelligence as a practical tool to solve problems and make life a more faithful expression of Spirit - I like that!

Although "worldly" success and pleasure do have their place in my book.

In fact, I regard the two as working hand in hand.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I have known women like that.

Did you know one   'sitting on a crab'   too ? 

Edited by Nungali

8 hours ago, Lightseeker said:

I’m familiar with pneumonics and I use them. I was looking for ways to gain a pure photographic memory. I Have tried the military method but found no success. I Heard the Arns Notoria could give anyone this power but it called on demons...

I think you need to understand what a 'demon' actually is, before one contemplates 'calling them up' .

5 hours ago, ilumairen said:

While I am in wholehearted agreement about being active "in nature" (as if we could be separate from it) and most certainly encourage involvement in actual events with other living beings, I can't help but wonder.. How are you communicating this information if you are following your own advice?

he has a secretary .

I have one too . She follows me around, down the river, through the forest, with an ipad and reads me posts and I respond to her and she enters it here for me  ?

Thats what keeps   me  so smart  !

Soooooooo   much more      smrt    than youse guys   ! 

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ilumairen said:

Thank you for the reply. 

Recently I was having a discussion with my SO about "the wisdom of farmers" which flowed into the wisdom of anyone living close to the land. There seems to be a deep and subtle wisdom gained by these individuals - without any real thought of trying to gain wisdom or intelligence. 

hhh , that reminds me of a story ;

Old farmer Dad is sitting in the corner at night puffing on his pipe and after  some time of silent meditation he announces to his two sons " I think we will plow and sow the bottom paddock tomorrow. "

The sons nod but later they say to each other ' What is that about ? We dont do that until next moth , what is he thinking ?" But they do, and when finished , two days later the rains come early , the sons are amazed, how did the old man know. So they ask him and

"Ohhh, just a hunch ."

That is the conscious mind ... getting the 'hunch' or 'having the intuition' ' .  But really for weeks on end Dad has been sublty observing everything in nature, even though he may not have been aware of it ; the animals  and insect behaviour,  signs in vegetation,  moon cycles , etc .

Just 'hanging out ' in nature and having a 'certain mindset'  , ones intelligence increases - it comes from  observation and incorporation. I had not even realised I myself was doing this until some Aboriginal friends pointed it out to me .  "You learn as you go along, that's good."

But others seem blinded by their prejudice and mindset, not being open to learning new things , eg. there is a report from an explorer who describes the ' lazy Aboriginal fisherman ', he observes the following and comes to the conclusion that it supports the  stories that Aboriginal people are very lazy and unmotivated.

He cam upon an Aboriginal man fishing, he had constructed a type of wicker dam across the narrow part of a stream,  (this allowed the smaller juvenile fish to swim through and migrate out ) with a race and small opening for the large fish to swim through. In the opening was stuck an upright pole that tapered to a slender tip, it had twine and a loop attached to it. under the water was another smaller stake. The man would bend the thin pole over and secure it down with the twine tied to the stake in a release knot, and arrange the loop inside the race.

A fish would come along, go down the race,  find its head in the noose and flip around a bit underwater and then get snagged by the gills, as it flipped more that would pull the release knot and the pole would whip back upright pulling the fish out of the water and flipping it over the man's head up on to the bank and the fish would drop out.  Then the man would 'lazily' set the loop underwater again with a release knot on the stake and lie back waiting  ... and so on.

The Aborignal man was able to construct his fishing machine from observations made in the environment  (or by being taught by someone else that figured it out)  ..... the observer of the 'lazy aboriginal' ,  it appears  ,   learnt nothing from his experience .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, s1va said:

Just curious, what you really mean by intelligence in the OP.  If you really want to increase IQ, why specifically look for spiritual techniques?  Is it because you think intelligence and spirituality are related?

Intelligence is a very relative term.  What is considered intelligent by some could mean something else for others.  What is generally termed as IQ is just a measure of one's analytical skills or problem solving ability.  It has nothing do with real intelligence IMHO.

:)     ... or ... he could just wait until he gets older     ^_^

yep-thats-a-burn-meme.jpg

4 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Yeah.  That's important too.

My emotions are intelligent  . They are very intelligent and focused, which is a great things  because  ...

sexy-woman-walking-in-black-tights--5751

Ohhh  ..... hi .  I was just about to ...   ummm ... say that ....

errrmmm  .... something about , ahhh  ..... 

...    thats a nice dog, what type of dog is he ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, s1va said:

No no no ... thats all wrong .   Christianity is the better path, that is the path of  really truly true  intelligence, anything else aimed at affairs not assuring your place in heaven is NOT intelligent  and is the opposite of intelligence .

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

Did you know one   'sitting on a crab'   too ? 

NO. I haven't even seen any sitting on a crab.  But I have known many who were crabby.  Especially when in their period.

I had  lunch date on friday,  took a woman  cruisin in my new swish car, then to a restaurant  over the water  ... we had crab . She wasnt crabby  ... she was great fun actually .  We laughed a lot .  She even got dressed up in  her 'particular way'   that I like  ( I say that as its unusual and i dont know how to describe it  ....  'cute girly punk, excessively tattooed, heavy metal, sorta '  ?  )

The we had a cocktail party ....  from about 4 onwards , the neighbour couple and a new neighbour girl and her fellah joined in .  No one was crabby then either .   Laughed a LOT more  :)   until about midnight  ... thats a LOT of cocktails !  But then I remembered .. friday !    Training at 8 am in town the next morning  ....  oh well, I will miss that .

But next morning I woke, not crabby at all !  So,  up early and went anyway .    Urrrrrk  ......   

9b109b464a7963b9bc8b2c942fc21450.jpg

Aha!  Thats  how they do it ... they use a pole ! 

I think being crabby shortens your life  .... well, it did for those crabs we had for lunch .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Bravo Aetherous  have coined a term for this in my own mind.

”The Doctrine of Red” well done!

Edited by Pilgrim
To clarify

5 hours ago, s1va said:

Nice discussion!

Perhaps I am missing something, but weren't the steps and methods meant to uncover natural (spontaneously arising) wisdom?

Could you help me understand the differentiation?

22 hours ago, Lightseeker said:

I have read about Ars Notoria. I really wanted to practice, but I heard that it calls upon malefic forces.. does anyone know energy recharging exercises etc, to become very intelligent??

Helllo, Paramahamsa Hariharananada always said his practices could do this. The Swami’s I learned from not only corroberated this but could demonstrate some remarkable skills. 

For example asking people their names, or perhaps meeting them in a large gathering and later not only remembering names bit tooics and answering the questions put to them earlier and nit by just one person either but a great many.

When the people would ask a question in group they would be answered. The earlier question would be refferenced.

Mostly they emphisise love and realizing you are the divine power of God.

The techniques are the Kriya of Paramahamsa Hariharananda.

I am of his lineage. I am of others as well.

His alone calls to my heart and soul over and over again. Many who knew Him called him Baba none have an ill report.

Only love and deep heartfelt respect.

Take a look at kriya.org check out how it feels.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

Helllo, Paramahamsa Hariharananada always said his practices could do this. The Swami’s I learned from not only corroberated this but could demonstrate some remarkable skills. 

For example asking people their names, or perhaps meeting them in a large gathering and later not only remembering names bit tooics and answering the questions put to them earlier and nit by just one person either but a great many.

When the people would ask a question in group they would be answered. The earlier question would be refferenced.

Mostly they emphisise love and realizing you are the divine power of God.

The techniques are the Kriya of Paramahamsa Hariharananda.

I am of his lineage. I am of others as well.

His alone calls to my heart and soul over and over again. Many who knew Him called him Baba none have an ill report.

Only love and deep heartfelt respect.

Take a look at kriya.org check out how it feels.

Hah! Finally someone from a Kriya yoga lineage responds!! I practice Yoganandas Kriya yoga. I have not experienced these benefits however... not sure why not. Does your organization give you techniques for a perfect memory?

17 hours ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Intelligence as a practical tool to solve problems and make life a more faithful expression of Spirit - I like that!

Although "worldly" success and pleasure do have their place in my book.

In fact, I regard the two as working hand in hand.

I agree.  Worldly success and pleasure do have their place.  I am not against worldly success or pleasure.  If worldly success or pleasure is the byproduct of one's actions without attachment to them, then it is well and good.  But if they are the goals, then I stand by my previous assessment.  It is ignorance that makes one seek these.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ilumairen said:

Perhaps I am missing something, but weren't the steps and methods meant to uncover natural (spontaneously arising) wisdom?

Could you help me understand the differentiation?

Yes, the steps and methods are meant to help uncover the natural spontaneously arising wisdom or light.  However, there is a clear differentiation between wisdom and what I mentioned as intelligence here.  I will try to elaborate with an example.

In Buddhism, there is a distinction between Arhat/Arahat and a Buddha.  In some places Buddha is also called an Arhat which is true.  An Arhat, as I understand the term is one who has crossed over the samsara, or the cycle of birth and death.  He has attained wisdom and there is no more suffering for the Arhat.  For the Arhats, there is no seperation between them and the world.  There are 'no' others and there is no need to help anyone.  There is no need for compassion in this view.  A Buddha goes far beyond that to grow and to help others.    An Arhat has crossed over, has the wisdom, but I don't consider them as intelligent.

Whereas a Buddha, keeps expanding and finds ways to impart the knowledge and the wisdom, to let everyone see the light that is shining in them.  All this is done out of compassion.  These are the actions I termed as intelligence.

• Like 1