Sign in to follow this  
Buddy

Taobums and change

See how it goes? Now there are people who were already here as lurkers, smarter than me, who feel comfortable enough to question the nonsense. Weeks ago they might not have wanted to step forward because they knew they might be trampled under foot by The True Believers. 278 people joined this before me. The rest came lately.

But it took a bigmouthed a**hole like me to make it safe for the people with legitimate questions to come forward. So, Leo, that's why I'm THEIR Tom Joad. I'm a bonze. I'm the wrathful demon that makes it safe for those real seekers to question and prod. If their questions make you uncomfortable...GOOD! We live in a world of cheaters and hucksters. Most of you grew up under organized religion and organized government...you should know better than to sneer and snide the questioners. You should know better than to be comfortable in your assumption that you are One of Us.

I remain,

Yours,

Just Buddy

PS, It's Sunday and I live in Massachusetts. Are you ready for some.....football?

Sorry Buddy. I live in Germany so no football...

Considering my statement about the yard I should not chime in here. But seriously. Your statement only shows off a great ego. These things got discussed long before you appeared on the playground and quite a few of those that voiced there opinions now voiced them before. So. Nice that you are here but you sure do not have the "I layed the path for those to come"-role-modell function. That is far from any possible tuth.

:)

Harry

Hi Buddy,

I am glad the board has differing opinions. Sometimes your delivery can be little heavy handed, and more often than not I think this works against you. Other than that I think you bring a wealth of knowledge to the forum. I have family in Leominster Mass. If I ever head down there I will look you up.

Leo,

Just roll with the punches man. I am sure if you met Buddy in person he would be a nice guy.

Brgds!

Harry,

I've lived with me for 50 years. I know my ego better than you and I'm fine with it. If you're not, too bad. But it's interesting that you feel a need to chastise me, to "put me in my place". Whose ego is that, do you suppose? Hmmmm.

OR,

You're right. And I mean it to be that way. You're welcome in my "yard", anytime.

Geez Buddy yr hubris is just astounding. As you note, you have scant following here because you exhibit few traits worth emulating. You may be honest, as in you say what you believe to be true, but yr truths are not universal. Few are.

Many of us question the varacity and direction of the various groups, cults or organizations whos' members are populating this site from time to time. You are not a leader in this effort.

We each express our selves as we see fit, and you are very forthright in yr expressions..

I will not insult you by saying you are probably a nice guy. I for one detest "niceness"... It is usually hollow and a weak front for societal acceptence -Bah-

We are what we are. Sean has us well in hand as a moderator /web-master ...B) We follow his lead in how this forum is run...

There are many here seeking leadership and knowledge, your knowledge could be a boon to them, I hope that yr delivery doesn't always get in the way of what it is that you offer here.

I will not insult you by saying you are probably a nice guy. I for one detest "niceness"... It is usually hollow and a weak front for societal acceptence -Bah-

I don't think it's insulting to say he is probably a nice guy. When people argue passionately, it is usually because they care. I agree with you that phony "niceness" is annoying, but I assure you I sincerely believe Buddy has a heart of gold underneathe his hard exterior. I work with New Englanders quite often. I have seen them get all worked up when arguing about things like the Iraq war etc... and though I think they are misguided, they are also the type that would pull over and help a stranger change a tire if they needed help etc.. These are generalizations of course, but I just want to make clear where I am coming from.

My point with this post is to turn a corner, and I'll do it in my own way. You might say it's always been the same but even just yesterday Chanyu was slagged for putting out a disclaimer on one group. Recently this board has been a Max-fest. And nay-sayers were slapped for their disagreement. Even Brian Kennedy who came here with no agenda was falsely accused.

"Many of us question the varacity and direction of the various groups, cults or organizations whos' members are populating this site from time to time. You are not a leader in this effort."

Oh boy. I'm not looking to be a "leader." I'm just me. But there are many people (over 7000) members here and most just lurk. Some of you here try to put yourselves up as experts and authorities. I'm just a fly in the ointment. But when anyone makes some outlandish claim or puts up a spurious video, I'm going to raise a flag for those who a.won't, as to remain anonymous less they get jumped on by the faithful (of the month), or b. unknowingly swallow the bullshit because of the hive-mind.

BTW, I am a nice guy.

Edited by Buddy

I am fully fine with it, Buddy, an no chastizing going on from my part. Should I ever get to Massachusetts (copied it, otherwise would sure would have written it wrong) I will knock and ask for a game of football (not very good at it though)... maybe in your yard then :)

Harry

Buddy:

You've got good points in many of your questions about sects, sensationalism, and and unfounded beliefs related to spiritual cultivation. But when are you going to offer us some of your own experience, not only reflections?

I have been around on this board as long as it has been up and if there is one thing I could say was that there NO consesus here about taking things literally and at face value. What does seem to happen is raving about the latest "quick fix". And that's ok. Much of spiritual cultivation is going through a honeymoon phase.

What is your honeymoon phase, and when did it turn into this whistle blower persona? Where does your somewhat cynical outlook on taoist arts fit in with being here on a taoist board?

Last time I checked, cynicism is a reaction to our own fear of being a sucker, wich is quite understandable, but not a good place to be if you want to stay open towards what this place is about: Spiritual cultivation (and sometimes pissing contests).

You'll find that the people on this board has alot more leverage when it comes to being caught up in one tradition, practice or perspective just because it is getting UNstuck that is the primary hurdle for growth.

BTW: These are not personal attacks, just honest questions I've pondered when reading some of your posts.

One last thing: I have experienced things that is way more far out than much of what you have claimed is bogus. But what I found refreshing is that your attitude towards that is quite healthy. If you cannot prove it, or experience it yourself, don't go there. It's a detour, and has nothing to with true practice.

h

Edited by hagar

No football from me Harry. But today is the Superbowl and our team is poised to make history. But I'd be happy to freely share my neigong with you. No secrets, no charge.

hagar,

Nice post. I've been a sucker before so I know that one from experience. I'll admit that one up front.

"Where does your somewhat cynical outlook on taoist arts fit in with being here on a taoist board?"

It's not some -ist arts it's all of them. Mostly with Daoist stuff, it's because it seeks to be unknown. I think the Indian traditions are (and of course this isn't and hasn't aiways been) a little more transparent. There are people with real Dao traditions out there but they seldom get mentioned (anymore?) here. It's the closed door folks who get the play here. Why? Because they offer magic and you get to be one of The Faithful (for $$$/month).

"But when are you going to offer us some of your own experience, not only reflections? "

I've hinted at them. Because no one has asked? I'm not looking for followers. Have you read my (not well maintained) blog? There's a little in there. I want to. I'm going to, but I'm not an expert.

BTW, I have experienced things I can't quite put a finger on, but I don't think it's magic.

Edited by Buddy

No football from me Harry. But today is the Superbowl and our team is poised to make history. But I'd be happy to freely share my neigong with you. No secrets, no charge.

Valued offer indeed. Thank you Buddy. May your team make history :)

Harry

Edited by sunshine

Buddy:

Your scepticism is quite understandable. And I do enjoy someone finally revealing the "emperors new clothes".

I've lived with people close to me who has had cancer and passed away, so I also can relate to your experience on that to some degree. Most of all, I know the desperation.

There are true masters out there, and the way you know them is usually by realizing how ordinary, even unneccesartytheir teaching is. Most of them are maintaining a low profile, and all of them seem to have small followings.

As you, I find that real life is much more interesting, and challenging than any "Taoist wizard's" class or practice.

Ideally, we should be able to integrate our practice to such a degree that sitting and smoking a pipe in the shade of a tree is the highest attainment.

As to your comment: If you skim through the taobum archives, I too have argued for the same. Sitting and drinking a cup of coffee, and experiencing something unexplainable while sitting is just that, experience.

It's like this: Open your third eye, go to the toilet.

My family's house also overlooks the Atlantic ocean.

h

Edited by hagar

"It's like this: Open your third eye, go to the toilet."

LOL!!!

Now, if someone would only put THAT into a fortune cookie!

I, for one, appreciate the tough questions and challenges that Buddy or anyone else posts. In matters of the spiritual, gratuitous assertions are easy to make and people can be easy to exploit. Without the tough questions and challenges, how valuable are our ideas? Buddy's certainly not the first or only skeptic but has lately been the most vocal and steadfast. I share his skeptical point of view (as anyone knows from my early posts on Max's "Kunlun" presentation will recall). I also try to maintain an open mind and a sense of tolerance. I do think it's important to maintain a respectful tone and presentation, as electronic communication is notorious for leading to miscommunication and conflict. I also think it's important that each of us be mindful of what is going on when we feel threatened, defensive, or become belligerent, argumentative, and so on. The more sensitive we feel, the more that indicates some insecurity somewhere. If we look for the source of that, it can be very instructive - I've learned alot from my own reaction to forum arguments.

Cheers!

PS I don't have a dog in today's fight but I'm hoping it'll be as exciting a game as NY and Green Bay was.

Good luck Buddy! Your team has been pretty impressive this year - almost as impressive as mine (the Ravens... :( )

This thread is very refreshing in a way...we're each being clear and open with each other

We are trying to share very esoteric experiences among ourselves, and share themn with the wider cyber-world as well... Many of these experiences are hard to fathom, and hard to explain, even amongst those who have some shared experiences...We can't even all agree on many definitions of the experiences of what we are trying to communicate...

Patience is needed amongst ourselves, and I for one, have very little, I appologize for that, but sobeit...My strength seems to be a (drat) lawyerly one, that I can see both sides of an issue and take sides as I think it is in my way or self interest, or moral imperitive... whatever the impitus, we each have our reasons to react and to address the issues here as elsewhere...

I admire many aspects of your thinking Buddy as I do with so many here. I guess when we are each unknowing of ourselves, eachother and the Tao that binds us much of the time...or else there would be nothing to say... otherwise we would all just laugh and smile and breath deeply of the moment... maybe next week after the GIANTS UPSET THE PATRIOTS we can all laugh at the follies of our species...

No football from me Harry. But today is the Superbowl and our team is poised to make history.

Ahhhh, the fleeting victory disappeared like sand between the fingers.

The impermanence has shown its ugly head .

New York is celebrating.

Go, Giants!!!! :)

New York is celebrating.

Go, Giants!!!! :)

Go, Giants, go!!!!! :)

And as they used to say in the mother-of-all-stadiums when a gladiator filleted a buddy of his today only to get snacked on by a tiger tomorrow,

Sic transit gloria mundi...

(Don't tell me "buddy" is taken, Mr. Webster was there first and he says it isn't.)

Local time 10:14

Want to know what is more boring than cricket? That would be the superbowl replay at 10:50 when you know the result :(

I am not a huge sports fan in general, not since the age of 12 or so- still the Giants win made me very excited and happy as if I was 12 again... :D:P:lol:

I also won a huge coors beer mirror and a t-shirt as door prizes where I watched the game -(local bar)...

So I won thrice over and had a wonderful time too... YAY !!! The GIANTS make their own history...

and the last few games were so much fun to watch - win or loose-& they WON!!! even sweeter still...

Yeah, i had the same experience. I don't watch football and only watched the last 15 minutes of this game, but I felt just like you- like a kid, when they scored the last TD. :)

Funny, saturday night I had a dream that the giants won. I really didnt care either way. I like sports, but I dont follow teams, dont watch regularly.

But yeah...Eli getting MVP was weak, seemed like it was basically all because of that one lucky heave to the heavens. The entire game was all about the Giants D making swiss cheese of the Pats O line.

Sign in to follow this