steve

Book Club Anyone?

Synchronsity :D Was thinking of the same thing myself last night, I would be willing to have a go. I vote for Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality

May as well start with something that is going to make me look like an idiot

Synchronsity :D Was thinking of the same thing myself last night, I would be willing to have a go. I vote for Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality

May as well start with something that is going to make me look like an idiot

Have you read it yet xuesheng? If you guys opt for something else, odds are I have it on my shelf waiting to be read haha.

Not a bad idea. Shall we go for it. Taoist Yoga; Alchemy and Immortality? It works for me. Whats the best source for buying copies?

I don't know if any particular rules are needed other then normal politeness and criticisms be constructive. I might have a copy somewhere, or it might be another book tittled Taoist Yoga.

Michael

Has a book club ever been tried on the forum?

I think it could be fun and valuable.

Good idea!

~ later ~

You know, choosing classics and going through them together.. keeps our attention off of eachother (and from other groups), so we're less likely to brawl (hopefully ;):rolleyes: ). Plus, probably we'll be able to choose books that're a lot less stupid than ourselves, so it'd be elevating. Lots to like about a book club. :)

* hope it takes off well, imagining it being a happy TTB regular *

Not a bad idea. Shall we go for it. Taoist Yoga; Alchemy and Immortality? It works for me. Whats the best source for buying copies?

I don't know if any particular rules are needed other then normal politeness and criticisms be constructive. I might have a copy somewhere, or it might be another book tittled Taoist Yoga.

Michael

http://www.amazon.com/Taoist-Yoga-Immortal...2552&sr=8-1

So what are your thoughts? A book a month? Usually once I start a book, I will chew through it in a day or two. The hard part is getting started, so this should help motivate me. Looking forward to it :)

Extremely cool to see interest.

I've read Taoist Yoga in a casual and relaxed way, certainly not meticulously.

That would be as good a place to start as any.

Here are a few options:

1. We could have a book club thread, give a start date for a give book and let it rip. When we've tired of discussing that one, go on to the next...

OR...

2. We could have a "book club" sub-forum and in it, each book could be a different thread. That way the discussions could be ongoing on different books simultaneously. That way, as new people join, or read it, they could contribute. We could start with one (otherwise, it'll get a bit wild and crazy) and just add new threads, one at a time, but revisit the old ones as needed

OR...

3. We could do #2 above but let people start as many book threads as they want, although that would end up being just like random posts about books.

I'd vote for #2 most likey...

What do you all think?

Also, how to choose future books? I can see this getting interesting and competitive (no way! not us Daoists! B) )

Maybe people contribute suggestions and we choose randomly.

Or post 5 options and vote.

Or .... I'll pick 'em because it was my idea!!! :P

Any other suggestions?

Edited by xuesheng

Here are a few options:

1. We could have a book club thread, give a start date for a give book and let it rip. When we've tired of discussing that one, go on to the next...

OR...

2. We could have a "book club" sub-forum and in it, each book could be a different thread. That way the discussions could be ongoing on different books simultaneously. That way, as new people join, or read it, they could contribute. We could start with one (otherwise, it'll get a bit wild and crazy) and just add new threads, one at a time, but revisit the old ones as needed

OR...

3. We could do #2 above but let people start as many book threads as they want, although that would end up being just like random posts about books.

What do you all think?

Also, how to choose future books? I can see this getting interesting and competitive (no way! not us Daoists! B) )

Any other suggestions?

I kind of like option 2 as well. I wonder if Sean O would be willing to create a subforum in the tao lounge. It just makes so much sense to have all the threads in one place. As for what books to choose, I was actually thinking about how that would work and came up with the same idea you did. Everybody maybe recommends a book, and then we vote on the top 3 or whatever.

I don't like cluttering up the main discussion site w/ a long term subject only some people are interested in. If we don't want to bother SeanO, a person serious about the book club can create a Mr.Bookclub login, and set up a personal discussion called Bookclub.

Then they could set up subdiscussions- General Info. and rules, March Book Taoist Yoga, April Book 'How to Get Along'..

Why don't we declare Taoist Yoga our first book. Thoughts..

Michael

I don't like cluttering up the main discussion site w/ a long term subject only some people are interested in. If we don't want to bother SeanO, a person serious about the book club can create a Mr.Bookclub login, and set up a personal discussion called Bookclub.

Then they could set up subdiscussions- General Info. and rules, March Book Taoist Yoga, April Book 'How to Get Along'..

Why don't we declare Taoist Yoga our first book. Thoughts..

Michael

I dunno Michael. Although the Mr Bookclub thing isn't a bad idea, I think it would be a great reference to have archived at TB as there's a lot of talk about various books on the forum. I also think it would make sense from an organizational perspective to have a sub forum if Sean thinks is viable. That's just my two centavos.

So I guess we are all in agreement that it's Taoist Yoga:Alchemy and Immortality by Charles Luk for Feb unless others have any objections. It might be nice if we could also agree on the next book a month in advance to give everyone a chance to order it through amazon or whatever. My preference would be for

Clear Light of Bliss: The Practice of Mahamudra in Vajrayana Buddhism by Kelsang Gyatso.

My understanding is that he reveals secret tantric energy practices that ressemble the methods used by John Chang and the Mo Pai. He also apparently got into some hot water about making this secret knowledge public.

Book Description

Essence of Vajrayana is the first complete explanation in English to the uncommon generation stage practice of Heruka body mandala. Buddha Heruka is a manifestation of all the Buddhas' enlightened compassion, and by relying upon him we can swiftly attain a pure selfless joy and bring true happiness to others. In Part One Geshe Kelsang explains with characteristic clarity and precision how we can practice the sublime visualizations of Heruka body mandala and thereby gradually transform our ordinary world and experiences into the transcendental reality of a Buddha. Then, in Part Two, he provides definitive instructions on the completion stage practices that lead to the supreme bliss of full enlightenment in this one - lifetime.

Personally I'd rather start with a more general book. Something along the lines of

The Shambhala Guide to Taoism. By Eva Wong.

I think it would give a nice introduction, setting up the stage for the future books. Somehow after this we can see where each book belong in the Taoist millenarian tradition.

Personally I'd rather start with a more general book. Something along the lines of

I think it would give a nice introduction, setting up the stage for the future books. Somehow after this we can see where each book belong in the Taoist millenarian tradition.

I'd be glad to join in if and when you do this book because it's one I already own and it would be good for a beginner.

Looks like the Luk book is already chosen as the first one (which is fine by me), but I like the idea of the Eva Wong book, Taoism overview. She has a good rep. I don't own it, but would go out and get it if we club it. Count me in for a vote for that book, whenever it works out.

... by Kelsang Gyatso.
I've always had an aversion to Kelsang Gyatso: his picture kind of creeps me out and I avoid his books. (Not to make a big deal out of it or anything.) The topics of that book are, basically, the six yogas of naropa and mahamudra. There are other sources for those topics if anyone wants to look a little. Just my two cents. I think the whole book club idea is really healthy, and anything that gets chosen is a step forward imo. :)

I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE BOOK CLUB!

I end up buying books that I'm told are promising. Many of them i find slow or pointless to read in the beginning. But i continue to read in hopes it has something awesome to share. Most of the books i have i haven't read through yet. I know if we started this thing as a group think it would encourage me and be much more joyful to read these books at a much faster rate. I think it works much better when there are active discussions and practices that we talk about... while we experience it, (weather past you reflect upon or you start up the practices when you start reading the book). I think this is a great idea! I would love to join :).

I also am a really slow reader, and I prefer to read little at a time and contemplate until I feel I have a fully understand what I am reading. So hopfully if we do it as a group thing, we don't have like 4 books done in 2 weeks. I promise you i'll still be on the first book :P.

Here are a few options:

OR...

OR...

What do you all think?

Any other suggestions?

I was actually searching information about Charles Luk because I was so interested in his book Taoist Yoga: Alchemy & Immortality. While i realized there was discussion about it on TTB me of course thinking it would be an old post i realized its yesterdays posts about it. SO Because I wanted to already read it for the a while now and just recently decided to get it from amazon I would love to join the club. And if not join the club i would still love to discuss what i read about Taoist Yoga: Alchemy & Immortality with others.

I vote for the #2 personally. But i'd prefer like a book a month kind of thing. Thats my vote

I think it's a very good idea to lay down a foundation of common language and understanding right from the start.

A book club is a great idea, and it would be shame if it fell into bickering over basic terminology/building blocks of Taoism, before you got off the ground.

I also have the Eva Wong book and think it's a good place to start.

Ken Cohen on Taoism is also really basic and useful and interesting, however... it's an audiobook..

Agrees maybe better to start with a basic book. (i say this even though i rather read the other book. Taoist Yoga) Maybe we can start the basic book next month?

Edited by WhiteTiger

muhahaha :blink:

Very intense, but he looks more like a fun loving hehehehehe than an evil muhahaha

Make a cool Avitar

Trunk you should have never told me your weakness:

Kelsang Gyatso is watching you :o

:lol::lol:

If I remember correctly, there was some sort of serious falling out between him and the Dalai Lama and others. I forget, and could be wrong, though. I remember tossing out my copies of his books at the time.