sheng zhen

Full lotus

Lol, I've noticed there's basically only 2 opinions in this thread.

All those who can do full-lotus...go on about how great it is.

All those who can't...go on about how worthless it is.

Gotta love humanity. :D

There are some who can do it but still don't seem too impressed with it. I know Santi used to do it a lot but doesn't seem to care for it and I have friends out here in the offline world who can do it quite easily but never bother with it.

Personally, I figure it's just another tool. Some people prefer running to stay healthy and I like heavy weights. My resting heart rate is usually in the low 60s so obviously it's working just fine for me. I figure that some practices suit some people better than others. If full lotus suits you then enjoy! If it doesn't then try not to worry about it and find what works for you ;)

Just my opinion so take with a grain of salt.

I was splashing around in that Dao of Chinese medicine book and I found a reference to an acupoint on the front of the leg, a couple inches down from the knee. It seems this specific point has very interesting effects (I will go dig it up when I have more time) and it occurred to me that pressing down on both of these leg points at the same time might be one of the goals of full lotus (amongst others).

The reconfiguration of the human energetic structure to me seems to be the goal of many (all?) asanas. This is not to take away from the incredible results of yoga, to the contrary!

I was splashing around in that Dao of Chinese medicine book and I found a reference to an acupoint on the front of the leg, a couple inches down from the knee. It seems this specific point has very interesting effects (I will go dig it up when I have more time) and it occurred to me that pressing down on both of these leg points at the same time might be one of the goals of full lotus (amongst others).

The reconfiguration of the human energetic structure to me seems to be the goal of many (all?) asanas. This is not to take away from the incredible results of yoga, to the contrary!

Which point? Now you've got me curious so I wanna look it up too

The reference is on page 225 of "The Dao of Chinese Medicine".

It's an approximate understanding that I sort of hashed together. Worst kind of understanding IMO but still, cherrypicking is something we all do. :blush:

I'm sure Trunk or someone knows what I'm on about.

Since I started doing MCO in full lotus every morning (30 min) all excess sexual urges and loneliness have dissipated. Not to say I'm not sexual, but I now realise how far from healthy I've been. This morning there was an exceptionally clear sensation of cool juice rising up, as well as the lower back opening.

It's both a point and a pressure area from what I've looked at.

Anyway, my take is that sitting in FL puts pressure on this point and area (as well as a bunch of others I'm sure).

ok you all talk about how to open the hips, but do you have some exercises to strengthen the lower back?

Id love to this: hhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USAeDzIbM5M the wide angle forward bend

but my back bends too much... or maybe that's not a problem?

ok you all talk about how to open the hips, but do you have some exercises to strengthen the lower back?

Id love to this: hhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USAeDzIbM5M the wide angle forward bend

but my back bends too much... or maybe that's not a problem?

Hm don't do sit ups. Crunches and the exercises called the planks may help.

Crunches are simple.. The reason you don't do situps is because they ruin your posture by pushing your hips more foward and not strengthening your lower back as much as your abdomen.

So crunches can help. I also strongly advise the isometrics exercise called the planks, because it works your core and back muscles.

if you dont want to do crunches, just settles for the planks. Its really a great exercise overall.

Edited by NeiChuan
  • Like 1

I first entered into the world of spiritual practice through yoga/yogic meditation. My first attempts at a full lotus were pretty pathetic lol. There were two factors holding me back that I can remember:

-Excess fat around the legs, specifically thighs.

-Very closed/tight hips.

By moving to a vegetarian diet/reducing my food intake and daily practicing different asanas for all the parts of the body I successfully was able to sit in full lotus. It's pretty funny actually, I was just able to do it one day, just messing around not really looking for success in the full lotus posture.

Aside from everything Mr. Hempel and others have said about it's energetic benefits, it provides you a great amount of stability for meditation by basically locking your legs, making you into a stable pyramid. Interestingly enough I've heard vague mumbles about the energetic benefits of pyramid, perhaps full lotus could be linked to that.

Hm don't do sit ups. Crunches and the exercises called the planks may help.

Crunches are simple.. The reason you don't do situps is because they ruin your posture by pushing your hips more foward and not strengthening your lower back as much as your abdomen.

So crunches can help. I also strongly advise the isometrics exercise called the planks, because it works your core and back muscles.

if you dont want to do crunches, just settles for the planks. Its really a great exercise overall.

Thanks thats nice for gaining more strength. What would you recommend for more flexibility? To get my back as straight as when I am sitting on a chair as when I am sitting on the floor with my knees not bent. I guess thats the flexibility at the base of the spine.

Thanks thats nice for gaining more strength. What would you recommend for more flexibility? To get my back as straight as when I am sitting on a chair as when I am sitting on the floor with my knees not bent. I guess thats the flexibility at the base of the spine.

Hm im not really sure about that. I'd imagine strengthening you're back like mentioned before and excelling in some basic back stretches.

For example - feet/legs together on the floor, then stretch foward.

In the beginning thats actually a pretty harsh stretch. Pacing yourself is a good idea.

I have a friend ... well ok its me :)... who has sciatica on left, old knee injury on right (martial arts) and fused L5/Sacrum (from birth). I have never managed full lotus ... what are my chances? Gave up trying years ago. But this thread has made me want to do it. What exercises should I start with (nothing complicated please).

Thnx.

Maybe just do it "astrally" as you physically sit or stand in comfort.

Hmm you mean I'm a hopeless case? :lol:

Are you up for a year long gong with me? ;)

Year long gong ... has a nice ring to it.

BTW they said the L5/Sacrum thing isn't that uncommon - didn't know about it till I had an X-ray for a back injury.

Edited by apepch7

Id love to this: hhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USAeDzIbM5M the wide angle forward bend but my back bends too much... or maybe that's not a problem?

Well, the point of most of these stretches is to increase the rotational range of the hips...not bend the back. So, if you're not bending from the hips, then you're missing the point.

Most likely, your hamstrings are too tight, which is making your hips too tight, which is forcing you to bend up from the back instead... I've had the same problem - so adding standing toe-touching has really helped stretch my hamstrings out..

As far as full-lotus, it is loosely said that:

The main meditation practice has to be done in cross-legged position. You can either use natural cross-legged posture, half lotus posture or full lotus posture. They can get you the same result but they do it at different efficiency levels. Full lotus is 3 times more efficient than half lotus and half lotus is 3 times more efficient than natural cross-legged posture. i.e. One hour of full lotus practice is equal to 3 hours of half lotus or 9 hours of practice using natural cross-legged posture.
(I've also heard the efficiency factor quoted as 2, instead of 3, so I think this is just a rough figure.)
  • Like 1

I would like to say a few words about what helped me with full lotus.

I don't like the idea of doing a lot of stretches of this and that for a meditation seat. So basically, I just did variants of one stretch: sit cross legged, and bend forward.

This video shows the method and stretches I'm talking about.

Start with whatever type of cross legged sitting you can do, and then bend forward as much as you can without strain, and then stay there. At this point, the keys are relaxation and deep breathing. When you are bent over like this, not only does it stretch the hips and lower back, but the breath can really get down into the pelvic cavity, and that movement stretches everything out down there in all directions. And if you tense up, you do not breathe as well or stretch as well and can't maintain the stretch, so don't push it! Just get into a position where the breath is opening you up. Let the breath do the work for you.

Then bend over to the left and right, and then switch legs, or if you don't have time, alternate legs each session. When you can, do this in half lotus, then when you can, do it with full lotus.

Remember, the issue is not getting into a posture, it is being able to sit in that posture and relax and maintain concentration for a good amount of time. So just doing stretches without emphasizing relaxation and deep breathing won't get you where you want to go. I think the bend forward, right and left and breathe method will help to get that stability in whatever cross legged position you choose, as well as help you get into more difficult positions.

I also think it helped me to sit in lotus and allow/encourage spontaneous movements. I got lots of crazy pelvic rocking, spiraling, vibrating, and even bouncing. Like with the breath, it allowed the tissues to loosen and stretch in ways no posture alone could. But if you're joints are not in good condition, this is probably not a good idea.

I am young and lithe; for all I know this method would not be effective for everyone. Feedback is welcome.

Edited by Creation
  • Like 1

The main meditation practice has to be done in cross-legged position. You can either use natural cross-legged posture, half lotus posture or full lotus posture. They can get you the same result but they do it at different efficiency levels. Full lotus is 3 times more efficient than half lotus and half lotus is 3 times more efficient than natural cross-legged posture. i.e. One hour of full lotus practice is equal to 3 hours of half lotus or 9 hours of practice using natural cross-legged posture.

As far as full-lotus, it is loosely said that:(I've also heard the efficiency factor quoted as 2, instead of 3, so I think this is just a rough figure.)

So if full is 3 times more efficient than half and half is 3 times more efficient than natural crossed leg, that would lead one to believe that cross-legged is 3 times more efficient than standing and that standing is 3 times more efficient than expanding oneself out in the universe. Hmmm...

I certainly don't agree. My opinion and experience is that the efficiency is much more determined by the practice itself.

• Like 1

My recent experience is exhilarating.

I always had excess pain while doing the full lotus position. Recently, after sitting for about 3-4 minutes in double Lotus the pain suddenly leaves my body and I am set free without any pain(almost).

The feeling is beyond anything I felt before and I can sit for a very long time without any special pain. As if my previous excess karma has been eradicated(after suffering hardships). It feels like flying and my head is spinning etc.

Even more strange is that half Lotus gives me alot more pain than full Lotus, hence I only do full Lotus now. The body transformation in Falun Dafa demands full Lotus too and I feel magnitudes of difference in the strength of body transformation between the two poses. In full Lotus the energy flow is massive, like a warm water flow circulating around my body.

So if full is 3 times more efficient than half and half is 3 times more efficient than natural crossed leg, that would lead one to believe that cross-legged is 3 times more efficient than standing and that standing is 3 times more efficient than expanding oneself out in the universe. Hmmm...

I certainly don't agree. My opinion and experience is that the efficiency is much more determined by the practice itself.

I Agree

My recent experience is exhilarating.

I always had excess pain while doing the full lotus position. Recently, after sitting for about 3-4 minutes in double Lotus the pain suddenly leaves my body and I am set free without any pain(almost).

The feeling is beyond anything I felt before and I can sit for a very long time without any special pain. As if my previous excess karma has been eradicated(after suffering hardships). It feels like flying and my head is spinning etc.

Even more strange is that half Lotus gives me alot more pain than full Lotus, hence I only do full Lotus now. The body transformation in Falun Dafa demands full Lotus too and I feel magnitudes of difference in the strength of body transformation between the two poses. In full Lotus the energy flow is massive, like a warm water flow circulating around my body.

For how many minutes does this pain-free state last then?

For how many minutes does this pain-free state last then?

Between 10-15 minutes is the full effect and then a mild pain enters, the "bird-position gives the maximum effect in "pain-off state" like being in an egg, I will experiment with a deeper posture soon, it seems like the effect from "pain off" is bigger the deeper position I use.

My current problem is that over time(10-15 minutes) my left leg slides down from its deep position on the right leg unless I correct it with force.

Hi there,

You have me excited now, I thought I was the only one who saw this of people. I used to see auras. But I can see this light of some people. And every once in awhile catch an aura... This is good information. You can catch it in pictures sometimes, if the person light is very bright.

Thank you Mel

Each day I start out in half lotus for about 5 minutes. My energy channels are just sort of half open, so I sit in full-lotus as much as possible throughout the day. People think this is meditation which it kind of is, as the full-lotus brings the energy to 3rd eye focus and the vagus nerve starts pulling up the bliss light, shooting it out where I focus my eyes.

Actually there is a method to the madness.

So "clear light" in Tibetan Buddhism means the same as female formless awareness -- or prajnaparamita, from the Indian sutras. You can't see clear light and it's actually pure female knowledge.

The Taoists call this "Wu Chi" -- it can not be visualized and it's modelled through harmonics. No one can know the Tao.

Buddha taught that the best method for our age is the "inner ear method." Same thing as Taoism -- you can't visualize female formless awareness but you can listen to it, as the source of time.

This meaning is clear in Advaita Vedanta which relies on logical inference (a positive solution that the source of the I-thought IS consciousness, not just something which can not be named or is some paradox). Buddhism relies on "neti, neti" logic or proof by contradiction (just without the algebraic connection to geometry), leaving the source unnameable and also the method harder to model.

Time in India is kala but spirals into kali, as female formless awareness. Again this is modeled through complementary opposite harmonics -- shiva-shakti as the source of ohm.

The 3 in 1 paradox is based on the simple fact that when we LISTEN this process resonates the electrochemical energy into electromagnetic energy, turning into light, that bends spacetime, back into consciousness.

So the one exists but the process to resonate with the source of the one inherently includes body (electrochemical energy), mind (electromagnetic energy) and spirit (light). The one is the source of those three and the one, as female formless awareness, is the only "substance" which does not change.