thelerner

Leaving the rat race for more cheaper, more graceful living.

3 hours ago, silent thunder said:

No more carpets... rugs are welcome, carpeting is decidedly uncivilized.

But ... but ......    indoor lawn bowls  

I rented a lodge up the mountain for a while , it had part carpeting including two long joined rooms  .  Looking through the  cupboards and ..... yes !     A set of indoor bowls .     :)

The cabin has some type of old,  narrow , once  2nd  hand,  boat decking or something , flooring . Its totally feral ... and slopes. But thats good for a floor scrub, I can rinse out with the hose and it runs downhill and out the cracks between the floor and walls and the floor and poles.   :)

Once, I went way working for 4 months, there had been a flood and the cabin had been closed up. When I returned the floor had  a   slate blue aqua  ' carpet' .      ewww

• Like 1

Spotted this on the Guardian today:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/jan/24/wilderness-solo-splendid-isolation-stopped-time-sitting-in-a-forest-24-hours

Really related to this. As someone who works as a journalist with furious daily news deadlines, it's nice to be reminded from time to time to slow down and live in the moment. I plan to do one of these nature retreats this year. 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2017 at 1:49 PM, Taomeow said:

@ dwai:  the Himalayas...  well, that's going to be quite a trip!  :)

Spoiler

wCHNSQdG6-AUphbYCrxgKphJT-Fb7UwCy9-taP36

Spoiler

sGgSgl0F7S6gVLAvwzkoxcYwesYeN798FDQURnaS

Spoiler

QexkyFuFvPe7JbJVQvcn2DSx0PdUy65JCUG9dS8l

It was! Found the perfect place for a small cabin...overlooking the greater Himalayan ranges. It is located in the Kasar Devi Ridge in Middle Himalayas -- the region is called Devabhumi -- Land of the Gods -- potent with spiritual power, vibrating and transcendent. :) 

Who knows...maybe someday...I'll find myself there...

Edited by dwai
  • Like 6

On 1/20/2020 at 8:18 PM, liminal_luke said:

Thanks.  I trust your judgment when it comes to toxic materials, among other things.  Mexico´s weird.  The other day I passed a cheese shop with big signage informing customers that all their products were pasteurized, as if that was a good thing.  When things are natural here -- which isn´t always -- it´s often in an unconscious way, because nobody has bothered to make them artificial yet.     

I recall many years ago hearing of fire retardant used in carpet and its exposure to kids who tend to roll and crawl around on carpet was enough to make me never want carpet again.

https://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/2015/12/major-furniture-mattress-and-carpet-makers-still-use-toxic-flame-retardants-r/

Leading furniture makers appear to be phasing out their use of toxic  flame retardants in their products, but mattress and carpet-padding manufacturers are lagging behind in such efforts, according to a report published this week by a national group of environmental health organizations, including the Minnesota-based public health coalition Healthy Legacy.

“Although a growing number of companies are finding ways to meet flammability standards without using toxic chemicals, there are still several major product makers who either have not made the transition or do not let their customers know what is in their products,” write the authors of the report. “This has to change so people can make smart choices that protect their families and environment.”

. . .

There’s good reason to not want flame retardant chemicals in your sofas, mattresses, carpeting and other household products, for they can be easily transferred into the human body through dust. Such migration is particularly problematic for children, who have been found to have very high levels of these chemicals in their bodies.

Edited by dawei
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dawei said:

I recall many years ago hearing of fire retardant used in carpet and its exposure to kids who tend to roll and crawl around on carpet was enough to make me never want carpet again.

https://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/2015/12/major-furniture-mattress-and-carpet-makers-still-use-toxic-flame-retardants-r/

Yup, and more specifically, ALL of these endocrine-disrupting, industrial pollutants act as xenoESTROGENS (and often carcinogens, too).

one of the most widely used BFRs, tetrabromobisphenol A (TBBPA). Earlier this year, NTP released data from a two-year bioassay study, showing that TBBPA caused tumors in rats and mice.

"Having chemicals act like estrogen or other hormones disrupts how the endocrine system works," said Birnbaum. "In this case, the ability of flame retardants to bind to and inhibit an enzyme that metabolizes estrogen, called estrogen sulfotransferase, could result in the body having too much estrogen."

The endocrine system is one of the body's main communication networks and is responsible for controlling and coordinating numerous functions, including growth and development, reproduction, response to stress, and energy levels.

some BFRs are slow to break down and can persist in the environment

Even worse, many of the epigenetic effects persist and aren't seen until the 2nd (F2) generation...because that's when the new organism is being built with the new, altered blueprint code.

Edited by gendao
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 10:28 AM, Vajra Fist said:

Spotted this on the Guardian today:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/jan/24/wilderness-solo-splendid-isolation-stopped-time-sitting-in-a-forest-24-hours

Really related to this. As someone who works as a journalist with furious daily news deadlines, it's nice to be reminded from time to time to slow down and live in the moment. I plan to do one of these nature retreats this year. 

I believe that everyone, if possible, should do major grounding like this, several times a year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moment said:

I believe that everyone, if possible, should do major grounding like this, several times a year.

100% agree. I think we've lost our root in nature, and therefore our own human nature. 

• Like 1

I grow a garden

because i cannot grow a world.

its enough

right now there's a young cardinal

in the bush outside my window. 

Fat and bright red,  snow above and below him. 

I wish I could give him some seeds,

but any movement and he would fly away. 

• Like 1

bump

interesting topic

seems like the rat race has slowed

but we're all still rats..

busy and anxious

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thelerner said:

bump

interesting topic

seems like the rat race has slowed

but we're all still rats..

busy and anxious

A rat race slowed down by a rat trap.  No wonder we're still busy and anxious.  

• Like 2

On 1/30/2020 at 5:57 AM, thelerner said:

I grow a garden

because i cannot grow a world.

its enough

Hi Micheal,

The garden is bigger than the world when the weeds and pests are pains in the neck and every parts of my body.

right now there's a young cardinal

in the bush outside my window. 

bb53d50c0b4d27b9e1a74299eb208f95.gif

Fat and bright red,  snow above and below him.

615a6f1567f6eab7aa1bd2474ac82d4e.jpg

th?id=OIP.fkMIWEh4oa0_6qLxoCJ0ywHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=272&h=154

I wish I could give him some seeds,

but any movement and he would fly away.

I can almost feel the impermanence of the moment.

But there is always the next time... a cardinal rule.

- Anand

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement

On 1/30/2020 at 8:54 AM, silent thunder said:

Time to disconnect on one level... to reconnect at another.

th?id=OIP.gBsEgnBwBvbZjTqPBElkMQHaDM&pid=Api&P=0&w=421&h=182

work1.gif

On 6/19/2020 at 2:44 AM, Taomeow said:

A rat race slowed down by a rat trap.  No wonder we're still busy and anxious.  

As above so below

7 hours ago, mark said:

As above so below

ee58dd2b76ce1803905a4285b6f84de9.gif

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement
  • Like 1