qicat

Awakened vs Enlightened... Let's discuss the difference

Awaken vs Enlightened  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Please pick one:)

• I am awakened ( i.e. I had kundalini, merging with Dao, etc. experience)
    • I am enlightened ( I am Buddha/Goddess/Jesus/etc)
    • None of the above. Just a human mortal in this life time...

( definitions are here: https://www.google.com/search?q=enlightenment&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS520US520&oq=enlightenment&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61j69i60.2038j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=spiritual+enlightenment)

Based on the recent topic...

First, let's get count of Awakened/Enlightened around here. Then, let's understand what it actually means from their personal perspective. 

Bonus question: can one enlightened/awakened "see"( recognize) another one without having to use words?

Extra bonus question: when one says he/she is "Awaken/Enlightened", what is your first reaction?

Celestial cookies for right answers will be served with high mountain tea shortly. 

-meow

*Modified poll to be anonymous to encourage participation.

Edited by qicat

By my definitions:

-both of these refer to states that one can acquire gradually, thus I preface the 'full' state as 'fully" i.e. 'fully enlightened'

-Being awake has to do with being aware that there is more to 'reality' than the physical 3D world of the mind and senses.

-Being enlightened has to do with grasping/understanding/grokking the nature of all of 'reality'.

Being awakened does not usually show from the outside as it does not affect the ways and actions of daily life nor does it necessarily alter ones energetic state in an obvious way. Similarly with minimal states of enlightenment, both are hard to recognize unless you are fully enlightened. Moderate levels of enlightenment show with minimal interaction to others also enlightened to some degree. Most of those who are 'just a mortal', would only quickly recognize someone in a fairly advanced state of enlightenment.

When someone says they are 'awaken' I don't pay much attention. When someone says they are 'enlightened' I instinctively try to interact with them in a non-physical way.

• Like 2

I still haven't heard/read an acceptable definition of "enlightened" so I couldn't vote there.

I do feel I am "awakened" most of the time.  Sometimes it seems I had placed my head up my ass.

• Like 8

Can't say i like labels at all. Let other people do the labeling, no need to put linear titles on oneself that you may or may not deserve. I also agree with rainbow, not enough options. 

Edited by OldWolf
  • Like 8

Not enough options. :)

I agree. I didn't respond to the poll because of its trinary nature and because the third option ignores that we are beings of Light regardless of whether we have realized it. Both the poll choices and the opening post feel simultaneously dismissive and leading but I don't think that was a conscious intent.
  • Like 7

I still haven't heard/read an acceptable definition of "enlightened" so I couldn't vote there.

I do feel I am "awakened" most of the time.  Sometimes it seems I had placed my head up my ass.

Marblehead:

This is all I can offer you in your quest: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=meaning+of+enlightenment

I think you are in a natural progression stage, at first, the awakening gets into your head ( Look, ma, no hands!). Then you figure out that why is that things the way they are if you are so "special". Then you figure out that your ego is playing tricks on you and you watch it and pretend to play fool ( as all Old Masters did). 

If one comes and says he/she is Enlightened ( see SeekerOfHealing ban post which inspired this conversation), are they most likely to be crucified? Is it why it is "safer" to listen to your ego and be humble? 

( here cat throughs lots of stones and watches the circles....)

• Like 1

I agree. I didn't respond to the poll because of its trinary nature and because the third option ignores that we are beings of Light regardless of whether we have realized it. Both the poll choices and the opening post feel simultaneously dismissive and leading but I don't think that was a conscious intent.

Brian, no fair. This is humans board. Do you really want me to list every species in the Galaxies? Not just Beings Of Light, but EVERYBODY? It will crash the server:P 

So, let's go with simplified version: either awakened, either enlightened, or none of the above. 

• Like 1

Can't say i like labels at all. Let other people do the labeling, no need to put linear titles on oneself that you may or may not deserve. I also agree with rainbow, not enough options. 

we don't like labels, yet the whole civilization is built on labeling. This is me, this is sun, this is you, this is car, this is moon, this is money...

Shall we explore the subject of non-word communication? I think it would be much easier to recognize Xien without using any words? Could one just look/hear/feel/etc another and see who they are? 

• Like 1

instead of awakened vs enlightened, could we perhaps talk about whether we know the Witness, we can empty the mind, etc?

How we handle stresses that life throws at us from time to time? What are some of the strategies employed to stay in that "goldilocks zone", to address disturbances from the equilibrium (emotional, etc)? 

Are we struggling with/judging behaviors/habits of ourselves that we find disturbing? 

Are we truly comfortable in our "own skin", so to speak?

Edited by dwai
  • Like 2

instead of awakened vs enlightened, could we perhaps talk about whether we know the Witness, we can empty the mind, etc?

How we handle stresses that life throws at us from time to time? What are some of the strategies employed to stay in that "goldilocks zone", to address disturbances from the equilibrium (emotional, etc)? 

Are we struggling with/judging behaviors/habits of ourselves that we find disturbing? 

Are we truly comfortable in our "own skin", so to speak?

but that's how the Supreme figures out what it is? Where is the fun in knowing vs fun of exploring? "Look, I did not know I have that emotion when he/she betrayed/insulted/said something on internet forum I don't agree with/etc me, whoa, who knew I can be so ragefull/angry/vindictive/passive-agressive". 

• Like 1

we don't like labels, yet the whole civilization is built on labeling. This is me, this is sun, this is you, this is car, this is moon, this is money...

Your using labels for physical objects, hard things that we can touch and use are basic senses to identify. If there were such obvious physical demarcations for the path then it would be much less confusing and contentious a subject. Furthermore, your choices are clunky and lack a well built structure to surround and enliven the context by which you are speaking.

Moksha, Nirvana, Enlightenment, Merging with the Dao, Self-Realization, Mushin, Satori, Immortal, Gnosis...etc. All of these terms come from different cultures yet are often assumed to be the same thing.....this is not necessarily the case. There are many different phenomenon on the path that can be potentially twisted and confused with words because there is no physical demarcations. 

The context surrounding the question assumes a kind of universalism. This is a flawed context in my opinion, a superficial perspective that sheds little light on the deeply complex and nuanced universe that were living in. Cheers. 

Edited by OldWolf
  • Like 2

Not enough options. :)

yes, we need 'Fifty shades of gray'.... and yes, I did watch the movie  :P

• Like 1

Your using labels for physical objects, hard things that we can touch and use are basic senses to identify. If there were such obvious physical demarcations for the path then it would be much less confusing and contentious a subject. Furthermore, your choices are clunky and lack a well built structure to surround and enliven the context by which you are speaking.

Moksha, Nirvana, Enlightenment, Merging with the Dao, Self-Realization, Mushin, Satori, Immortal, Gnosis...etc. All of these terms come from different cultures yet are often assumed to be the same thing.....this is not necessarily the case. There are many different phenomenon on the path that can be potentially twisted and confused with words because there is no physical demarcations. 

The context surrounding the question assumes a kind of universalism. This is a flawed context in my opinion, a superficial perspective that sheds little light on the deeply complex and nuanced universe that were living in. Cheers. 

To further add i'd say that those whom are skilled in there field can recognize those whom are likewise, no labels needed. Infinite growth and evolution is the only valid context i've found so far in terms of where we are on the path. 

Edited by OldWolf
  • Like 3

To further add i'd say that those whom are skilled in there field can recognize those whom are likewise, no labels needed. Infinite growth and evolution is the only valid context i've found so far in terms of where we are on the path. 

( watching circles on water...)

mmmm...

How do you feel after posting this? 

-meow.....

1. I believe in Unification Theory of Everything. 

2. Universe is very simple.

• Like 1

I guess we will have agree to disagree.....but your still doing a poll asking other people to give there opinions on where they reside in a topic.

Being mindful of your own beliefs and filters when approaching a larger pool of individuals is important.....it is disingenuous to assume everyone shares the same philosophical backdrop as you....and then try and cram them into a specific framework. 

Edited by OldWolf
  • Like 1

I guess we will have agree to disagree.....but your still doing a poll asking other people to give there opinions on where they reside in a topic.

Being mindful of your own beliefs and filters when approaching a larger pool of individuals is important.....it is disingenuous to assume everyone shares the same philosophical backdrop as you....and then try and cram them into a specific framework. 

r u talking to yourself?

perhaps...

5b6c626296c2bd7f315766035bc7db72_99e2489

*http://my-path-notes.blogspot.com/ glanced at your blog. Yep, seems something does hit the spot. I would suggest project loving kindness towards this, not subconscious anger... ( if you need to discuss further, use PM, no need for publicity I assume)

Edited by qicat

In my understanding, to be awakened is to have "woken up" from the dream of duality. Enlightenment is the same thing. It seems to me that enlightenment, however, is something achieved after many many years while awakening is instantaneous.

Awakening is the moment of waking up, while enlightenment encompasses the whole shibang. You could say "he is very enlightened" but not "he is very awake".

• Like 1

As soon as one says they are enlightened the opposite of what that means to you will appear in their character.

If one says they are awake that could mean they are not sleeping.

Awareness of something that does not fit in labels and does not need to known, limitless of what is and what is not, nullifies all opposition because all of existence is not in opposition to all things.

Some call this ideal enlightenment, some call it immortality and others call it by a different name but it is all the same light of awareness which we all use on a daily basis.

We need to realize we are all complete at this very moment. searching or trying to attain something we already have is a bit silly.

Those caught in  struggle and conflict, feeding on the negative, creating the negative reality for themselves and others are complete as well it is really a matter of choice the reality we choose to make for ourselves.

• Like 3

As soon as one says they are enlightened the opposite of what that means to you will appear in their character.

Wise words...

I have noticed this in me... as soon as one says E-word... my intuition draws opposite picture of an egoistic feast... and then of course in cat's nature I start pulling strings... just to play to see how long they can stay in E-state... bad, I know... but it's fun..

meow...

• Like 3

Wise words...

I have noticed this in me... as soon as one says E-word... my intuition draws opposite picture of an egoistic feast... and then of course in cat's nature I start pulling strings... just to play to see how long they can stay in E-state... bad, I know... but it's fun..

meow...

That is one of the reasons I have never allow anyone to call me an expert or a master.  If allowed, I might actually start believing it to be true.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 2

That is one of the reasons I have never allow anyone to call me an expert or a master.  If allowed, I might actually start believing it to be true.

"Teacher" trap... or ( "guru" trap), yep....

Glad to hear you are aware of it...

here is some celestial cookie for your with high mountain tea

251747fb94e162dd482256552abe14a9.jpg

• Like 2

My thoughts on this topic.

To me enlightenment does not exist because it is out side of my current field of experience, and anything outside of that doesn't exist. I could put the words 'to me' at the end of the last sentence, but it doesn't seem right for some reason.

Awakening, I can relate to a bit more to, in that it is a gradual process and I do feel as though I am slowly awakening as time goes by. But really what I feel describes my process more is an un-knotting and letting go of tensions.

This comes about from my putting causes of tension in a positive light and then being able to let go of them. So I'm not even in the awakening camp either  :wacko:

Edited by Miffymog
  • Like 2