dwai

Killing the Ego

We can agree to disagree - you are speaking of an earlier stage - Papaji is referring to a much later stage.

On another note: from what you are appearing to say along these lines is that you Awoke recently or at least you have had a Oneness transition or experience - congratulations!!!!

Have you shared the experience here already or would you care to?

I am sure I speak for everyone - we would love to hear about it!

Yes, I think that we can safely say that we can agree to disagree. :)

Yes, I have recently shared up to about 3 or 4 years ago in "my experiences" thread.  Additionally, you can find some older Q & A threads of mine with some member specific questions in my personal practice section.

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 2

...striving for the improvement of the world is a most praiseworthy occupation. Done selflessly, it clarifies the mind and purifies the heart. But soon man will realise that he pursues a mirage. Local and temporary improvement is always possible and was achieved again and again under the influence of a great king or teacher; but it would soon come to an end, leaving humanity in a new cycle of misery. It is in the nature of all manifestation that the good and the bad follow each other and in equal measure. The true refuge is only in the unmanifested... The only way to renewal lies through destruction. You must melt down the old jewellery into formless gold before you can mould a new one. Only the people who have gone beyond the world can change the world. It never happened otherwise. The few whose impact was long lasting were all knowers of reality. Reach their level and then only talk of helping the world.

- Nisargadatta Maharaj

• Like 3

...striving for the improvement of the world is a most praiseworthy occupation. Done selflessly, it clarifies the mind and purifies the heart. But soon man will realise that he pursues a mirage. Local and temporary improvement is always possible and was achieved again and again under the influence of a great king or teacher; but it would soon come to an end, leaving humanity in a new cycle of misery. It is in the nature of all manifestation that the good and the bad follow each other and in equal measure. The true refuge is only in the unmanifested... The only way to renewal lies through destruction. You must melt down the old jewellery into formless gold before you can mould a new one. Only the people who have gone beyond the world can change the world. It never happened otherwise. The few whose impact was long lasting were all knowers of reality. Reach their level and then only talk of helping the world.

- Nisargadatta Maharaj

There is the saying that, "there is nowhere where God is not" which I think points to both manifest and un-manifest...thus to me the saying points to a greater, all inclusive, non-dual and un-conditional realization. 

• Like 2

and before ONE ?   :P

Thanks for the trick question.

No, Tao didn't give birth to One.  Tao is a verb, remember?

• Like 1

so your Mother is verbal?

Yeah, she never held back on telling me what she thought of what I was doing if she saw me.

• Like 2

Yep.  We can call the undefinable anything we want to call it.

Lol no I meant Copperhead Snakes reproduce Asexually.

Lol no I meant Copperhead Snakes reproduce Asexually.

Hehehe.  I'm sometimes a little slow and need more info before I understand.

Yeah, nature is neat that way.  Different ways for a species to propagate.

• Like 1

Wow I was having trouble with part of my meditation where ego pushes heavily into the mind, it turns out I was very close to "eliminating" it, I just have to trace back to the "I" that wants to eliminate the ego, and since that "I" is not based on the ego, because I have destroyed the ego, that "I' will contain no ego, only stillness. And so, the true "I" is found. 

Sri Papaji :
When you decide to kill ego, this is the ego itself.
How will you kill it?
Has anybody killed the ego?
What is the weapon needed to kill the ego?
First there must be something to be killed.
First you must see the thing that is to be killed.
Then, in the seeing, it is already killed.
This thought arises: "I want to kill the ego."
Trace this I itself.
When you say, "I want to kill the ego,"
return back to this l and see if there is any ego to be killed.

Thanks for this post, it was exactly what I needed/wanted.

Question:

If you recognize the ego and make it into just one object of many, does this mean a person could easily meditate at any moment because they are the "still ocean" without any disturbances?

Edited by Deltrus

Wow I was having trouble with part of my meditation where ego pushes heavily into the mind, it turns out I was very close to "eliminating" it, I just have to trace back to the "I" that wants to eliminate the ego, and since that "I" is not based on the ego, because I have destroyed the ego, that "I' will contain no ego, only stillness. And so, the true "I" is found.

Thanks for this post, it was exactly what I needed/wanted.

Question:

If you recognize the ego and make it into just one object of many, does this mean a person could easily meditate at any moment because they are the "still ocean" without any disturbances?

Meditation and stillness is our very nature.

• Like 1

From Papaji--

Question: How can I fully abide in the Self?

Papaji: The Self is the abode of everything and you are already abiding in Self. You are always in Self and yet you forget and think that you have to do some practice. But you don't need any practice. That Self which you attain by practice is not the real Self. Self is present everywhere always and is unattainable. How can you separate from it? Where are you that you could possibly be out of Self?

These kind of doubts appear only to those who have not yet had experience. You will know that you have been the Self itself all the time. Now you don't see this because you have been busy elsewhere, seeking elsewhere some object, so you could not have the experience. Don't look for any practice to take you to the Self because Self is always Here and Now. Where can you go and leave the Self?

Find out who you are. Everyday we deal with this question here in Satsang. You must find out for yourself Who You Are! Solve this question for yourself or it is all just intellectual understanding. You don't need intellect or mind to understand this. Simply keep Quiet for one moment. Then you will know who you are.

• Like 3

There is no misunderstanding of what is being said. As I think I have pointed out in my earlier posts, there is simply disagreement. Cessation (and the concept of permanent memory loss that comes with it) is a choice based upon view and whether one moves on to differentiation or not.

This would seem the case but it is not.

Papaji is speaking of a level that requires a very settled state in intuition/ or a sort of unconditional acceptance of now that is considerably different than an Awakened state of a few years and often not achieved. Nothing you are saying is not very very clear - I do hear you.

He and I have never been speaking of a "concept of permanent memory loss".

I do not think further discourse on this is of value - but it is a very fragile later stage "easement" - I have never been referring to the general falling away and stark stillness that occurs in the outset early stages/years. Very similar in wording but not similar in experience.

It - by the way - is not inconsistent with Buddhist and Daoist views or otherwise. You may just want to leave this on the table Papaji has set and see if light is not at some point shed upon it. He was not making a loose statement and I am not playing coy and esoteric. No need to disagree - just leave it on the table.

When I say a fragile later stage easement - it is very difficult to become established in it - easy to become established in the clairvoyance and such but this is way beyond loss of ego in any sense (partial or quite whole), the core body pictures and DNA resist this even in very high states of daily activity - it is in a sense beyond safety / sanity - even in the embrace of stillness.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

I love the smell of pancakes in the morning -- it smells like victory.

A better indicator than how we present to others is how honestly we view ourselves. I have come to understand that few of us have a clue who we really are. The first step in dealing with ego is seeing ego.

• Like 5

Well it damn sure beats the hell out of smelling napalm!

At anytime!!!

• Like 2