Perceiver

Is the Universe simultaneously contracting and expanding?

Greetings

Long time no speak to my "friends" in here. - The ones that are left..

A thing that has been running through my mind these past few days is this: Is the Universe simultaneously contracting and expanding?

It seems to me that the forces of the Universe must be - once you deduce them - utterly simple and reducable to just a few principles, perhaps just one principle. And I think this structure/principle would probably be replicable in "us", in the metaphysical reality, in everything, really. One Principle to rule them all.

As I was pondering this question, I thought to look to the structure and logic of the Universe in order to see if I could identify two forces - a ying/yang, this-not-that, pulling its mechanics and animating all its movements.. It wouldn't make sense if there was only once force. There has to be two at least. And those two have to animate the rest somehow. Maybe there's a third force too, I don't really know..

I soon came to think of the notion that the Universe must somehow be contracting and expanding at the same time. That there must be something pulling it up and in. One force to define the other force. The two forces from which everything flows..

It's merely an intuition now. But I can't explain why or how, and I have a feeling that once I can, everything else will be revealed.

Perhaps the answer is found in how particles and atoms behave; their behaviour, their range of options - reducable to two forces, maybe. Perhaps the answer is found in a meta-view of the Universe as a whole. Maybe even in an understanding of "reality" as a whole - and its purpose.

I looked into spiritualist philosophy, but got no real answer. Or maybe there was an answer but I didn't understand, wasn't ready for it.. In any case, I still miss the how and why..

Any thoughts, my friends?

Perceiver

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge the generally accepted thought is that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate.  No contraction.  (This is thought to be a result of Dark Energy.)

However, individual galaxies are pretty much remaining balanced.  (This is thought to be a result of Dark Matter.)

Why are they Dark?  Because science is still in the dark about these forces.  Understanding is nearly totally lacking.  The effects can be observed - the causes cannot.

• Like 1

The tradition of Kashmir Shaivism would agree with you on the expanding and contracting...

From Triadic Heart of Siva...

The Heart, says Abhinavagupta, is the very Self of Siva, of Bhairava,
and of the Devi, the Goddess who is inseparable from Siva. Indeed,
the Heart is the site of their union (yamala), of their embrace (samghatta).

This abode is pure consciousness (caitanya) as well as unlimited bliss
(ananda). As consciousness the Heart is the unbounded, infinite light
(prakasa) as well as the freedom (svatantrya) and spontaneity (vimarsa)
of that light to appear in a multitude and variety of forms. The Heart,
says Abhinavagupta, is the sacred fire-pit of Bhairava.1

The Heart is the Ultimate (anuttara) which is both utterly transcendent
to (visvottirna) and yet totally immanent in (visvamaya) all created things.
It is the ultimate essence (sara). Thus, the Heart embodies the paradoxical
nature of Siva and is therefore a place of astonishment (camatkara), sheer
wonder (vismaya), and ineffable mystery. The Heart is the fullness and
unboundedness of Siva (purnatva), the plenum of being that overflows
continuously into manifestation. At the same time, it is also an inconceivable
emptiness (sunyatisunya).2 The Heart is the unbounded and
universal Self (purnahanta).

The Heart of Siva is not a static or inert absolute, however. In fact,
the non-dual Kashmir Shaiva tradition considers it to be in a state of
perpetual movement, a state of vibration (spanda)3 in which it is continuously
contracting and expanding (samkoca-vikasa), opening and closing
(unmesa-nimesa), trembling (ullasita), quivering (sphurita), throbbing,
waving, and sparkling (ucchalata).
The intensity and speed of this movement
is such that paradoxically it is simultaneously a perfect dynamic
stillness.

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 3

PS: I am not referring to mathematical/scientific explanations of the Universe. Hard science can never explain the purpose or "origin" of consciousness, and therefore the final mystery of the Universe will always be hidden to them. If the Universe is essentially mind, then it can only be understood (or accepted?) through mind. So I am looking for metaphysical explanations about the metaphysical structures that govern reality, and which I think may be (must be) replicated in the logical structure of the Universe too.

PS: I am not referring to mathematical/scientific explanations of the Universe. Hard science can never explain the purpose or "origin" of consciousness, and therefore the final mystery of the Universe will always be hidden to them. If the Universe is essentially mind, then it can only be understood (or accepted?) through mind. So I am looking for metaphysical explanations about the metaphysical structures that govern reality, and which I think may be (must be) replicated in the logical structure of the Universe too.

Does the quote from Jeff help you at all?

Maybe, but I am not sure I fully understand it..

The Heart is sort of the Universe.  Just focus on the last paragraph for your expanding and contracting point.

Also, happy to discuss if you are interested.

Ah!  You are speaking of a dimension I have never visited.  I will remain silent.

That which occurs within the universe is nothing different from itself, thus the universe is both expansion and contraction. It is simultaneously full of light and darkness, and simultaneously empty of both(and neither the former nor the latter).

Anthropomorphically speaking, (which can help bring a concept home):

In a self-reflected universe it is the very contractive darkness of ignorance which projects expansion upon itself, as if contraction and expansion were separate happenings from itself.

In the same way, it is the very expansive light of consciousness which projects contraction upon itself, as if expansion and contraction were separate happenings from itself.

In darkness, the eye's pupil expands. In light, the eye's pupil contracts.

Consider the pupil's expansion, as a self-reflection of the contractive darkness of ignorance. In the same way, consider the pupil's contraction, as a self-reflection of the expansive illumination of knowledge.

The expansion is within the contraction, and vice versa. The light is within the darkness, and vice versa. The differences are in appearance only.

The eye remains unchanged. You are the eye in which the pupil is made possible.

Or...

On a grander scale, consider yourself as the universe. As the universe, consider that limitless sense of "being-ness", the expansion, as an expression of self-inquiry(going within). An unconscious desire to know the "I", expressed.

Now, consider yourself as the human being. As the human, consider that limited sense of "being-ness", the contraction, as an expression of self-forgetting(going without). An unconscious desire to forget the "I", expressed.

The knowing is within the forgetting, and vice versa. The universe is within the human, and vice versa. The differences are in appearance only.

The space remains unchanged. You are That in which "being-ness" is made possible.

• Like 1

I would say it is expanding, contracting and also not existing :)

Outbreath - expand. Inbreath - retract. Pause inbetween outbreath and inbreath - void/emptiness/formless

• Like 1

From stillness arose something. That something became two. The two became three. From that came everything.

Heaven is expansive, Earth is contractive. When Heaven joins Earth, it is both expansive and contractive, or either expansive or contractive. When Heaven interacts with itself, it can be attract Heaven joined with Earth or repel Heaven joined with Earth. That which is either expands or contracts, or simultaneously expands and contracts, or expands and contracts in cycles. This is largely a matter of perspective. When viewed up close, things seem mostly unchanging yet imbalanced. Viewed from afar, things are mostly ever-changing yet balanced.

We can couch the discussion in scientific terms if we wish, and speak of primordial states, of fundamental forces, of electromagnetism, of gravity, of nuclear forces, of particles. Some people find that approach more comfortable because it seems not mystical.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 3

Ein Sof=Totality with no division or separation.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

From the Triadic Heart of Siva

Pg 125.

The notion of visarga, translated as Emissional Power, constitutes a central and essential component of the meaning of the Heart.17

Let us begin our examination of the notion of visarga by quoting Abhinavagupta's initial exposition of the term in the PTlv;

The knowing subject has as its essence the supremely subtle vibration of the Self. It is characterized by knowedge and action, and its nature is one of contraction and expansion, that is, opening and closing. It is not like a pot, and so on, which is inert, limited and stationary. The more this combination of expansion and contraction becomes evident in the vibration of the Heart, of the triangle, etc., the more does the subjectivity become elevated, until it reaches the consciousness of Bhairava. Conversely, the more the expansion and contraction diminish, the more does the subjectivity fall until it becomes inert like a stone etc. This expansion and contraction is the characteristic of the visarga, whose essence is freedom, that is, the very power of the Lord, of the Ultimate. Therefore, the phoneme If, the visarga, is termed the Rudra- yamala, the Rudra-dyad, because it consists of both the supreme Siva and sakti, of the rest and activity which constitute the union of Bhairava with his Beloved."

In Abhinavagupta's teachings about the Kaula method, the term visarga has a wide signification. Here,it comes to name that power( known alternatively as the kauliki sakti, the Devi, the nada) that is responsible for emitting the universe in all its glorious variety. Equally important, it names the power that must be harnessed by the tantric yogin to continue the arc of manifestation as it doubles back on the journey of return to Siva. This power may be thought of as an impelling force (iccha-sakti)

that at one and the same time continuously pushes everything out into being, and continuously absorbs it all back into Siva. This power in the Heart, which is the Goddess, and which is named the visarga, is at once centrifugal (pravrtti), that is, Emissional and expansive, as well as cen- tripetal (nivrtti), that is, absorptive and unitive.20

This expansion and contraction forms a kind of "alternating current" of spiritual power which may be tapped by the yogin in various ways. The "expansive" mode may be employed for the further manifestation of desires in the external or subtle worlds (bhoga, phala), or, during the farther reaches of the sadhana, for the establishment of the experience of non-duality even in outward perceptions. The "contractive" mode connects the yogin to the inwardly ascending force that effortlessly propels the yogin to rest in absorption (samavesa-visranti) in his own unbounded, original consciousness. Here, the infinitely fast vibration of consciousness allows the re-emergence of the state of Bhairava, the state of liberation in this very life.

• Like 1

From the Triadic Heart of Siva

Pg 125.

The notion of visarga, translated as Emissional Power, constitutes a central and essential component of the meaning of the Heart.17

Let us begin our examination of the notion of visarga by quoting Abhinavagupta's initial exposition of the term in the PTlv;

The knowing subject has as its essence the supremely subtle vibration of the Self. It is characterized by knowedge and action, and its nature is one of contraction and expansion, that is, opening and closing. It is not like a pot, and so on, which is inert, limited and stationary. The more this combination of expansion and contraction becomes evident in the vibration of the Heart, of the triangle, etc., the more does the subjectivity become elevated, until it reaches the consciousness of Bhairava. Conversely, the more the expansion and contraction diminish, the more does the subjectivity fall until it becomes inert like a stone etc. This expansion and contraction is the characteristic of the visarga, whose essence is freedom, that is, the very power of the Lord, of the Ultimate. Therefore, the phoneme If, the visarga, is termed the Rudra- yamala, the Rudra-dyad, because it consists of both the supreme Siva and sakti, of the rest and activity which constitute the union of Bhairava with his Beloved."

In Abhinavagupta's teachings about the Kaula method, the term visarga has a wide signification. Here,it comes to name that power( known alternatively as the kauliki sakti, the Devi, the nada) that is responsible for emitting the universe in all its glorious variety. Equally important, it names the power that must be harnessed by the tantric yogin to continue the arc of manifestation as it doubles back on the journey of return to Siva. This power may be thought of as an impelling force (iccha-sakti)

that at one and the same time continuously pushes everything out into being, and continuously absorbs it all back into Siva. This power in the Heart, which is the Goddess, and which is named the visarga, is at once centrifugal (pravrtti), that is, Emissional and expansive, as well as cen- tripetal (nivrtti), that is, absorptive and unitive.20

This expansion and contraction forms a kind of "alternating current" of spiritual power which may be tapped by the yogin in various ways. The "expansive" mode may be employed for the further manifestation of desires in the external or subtle worlds (bhoga, phala), or, during the farther reaches of the sadhana, for the establishment of the experience of non-duality even in outward perceptions. The "contractive" mode connects the yogin to the inwardly ascending force that effortlessly propels the yogin to rest in absorption (samavesa-visranti) in his own unbounded, original consciousness. Here, the infinitely fast vibration of consciousness allows the re-emergence of the state of Bhairava, the state of liberation in this very life.

What you are posting here is a human concept of Ein Sof which can in no way be modeled or characterized by any reductive analytical operation.

What you are posting here is a human concept of Ein Sof which can in no way be modeled or characterized by any reductive analytical operation.

One can experience what is being shared.

Abhinavagupta is a true master if you ask me. His writings and wisdom are truly amazing.

• Like 1

One can experience what is being shared.

Abhinavagupta is a true master if you ask me. His writings and wisdom are truly amazing.

I would agree with you about Abhinavagupta, but not always necessarily about an author trying to describe the text as in your quote. 

• Like 1

From stillness arose something. That something became two. The two became three. From that came everything.

I hear you on the duality there - which is mirrored by the nothingness. The Two are the duality.. But what is the "Three"?

Perceiver,

I'm not sure about your question, I really have no idea what the answer is.

But one thing does come to mind, which is that the universe and ultimate reality are two different things. The universe is form. It's a manifestation of the universal life/love/consciousness, just as you and I are.

As you and I are growing and expanding, so is the universe. But, the universal itself, ultimate reality, is not growing or expanding. It's beyond time, change, and becoming. It's already infinite and has no limits or boundaries. This is our shared universal Self.

You may already believe this, I just wanted to point out the distinction between reality itself and the universe.

I hear you on the duality there - which is mirrored by the nothingness. The Two are the duality.. But what is the "Three"?

The third is sort of the first of (or potential for) 10,000 things. If you think of the two as polarities of duality, the third means something can exist separately (or between the two polarities).

In terms of ancient Taoist cosmology or modern physical cosmology?

Or, Ibn Arabi's writings in which some consider him a heretic or even a madman.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

Or, Ibn Arabi's writings in which some consider him a heretic or even a madman.

Yes, visionaries from many cultures across the ages have tried to express in common language their ineffable and inexplicable experiences. Most, as is to be expected, attempt to do so from within their familiar frameworks, which are also the familiar frameworks of their target audiences. (The same holds true with modern physical cosmology, of course.)

What I find fascinating and informative is to relax my focus and watch the emerging patterns of congruence and commonality. All these blind men are describing the same elephant. (They were not "blind," mind you, but "seeing" with a sense their compatriots didn't comprehend or share.)

• Like 2

Both, if you will.. Also, perhaps logic can provide us with the answer. The one and two are the dualities. The Three is their integration, or the nothingness?

Both, if you will.. Also, perhaps logic can provide us with the answer. The one and two are the dualities. The Three is their integration, or the nothingness?

One is a singularity.  Therein is both a dormant void and form.  Let's say Emptiness with Potential.

Two is an arising polarity... in Daoism, Yin and Yang.  Movement means swirling chaos.   As the two 'become'...

Three is the becoming or arising.  

This seems to fit with the buddhist idea of 'no self-arising' and interdependence.

This three is the manifest world.  

Thus when we talk of the manifest world, we talk of One and Two as well. 

• Like 1