Gerard

Lust and the undeveloped mind

A highly recommended reading:

https://appliedbuddhism.com/2009/08/28/lust-and-the-undeveloped-mind/

Which I hope it will make you practice with more determination.

Interesting enough 3 months ago I was doing seated meditation after Bagua practice in the park, when an absolutely stunning female deva, beauty without a match, love and radiance shining in all directions and wearing some sort of golden crown, came down next to me and invited me to hop in her celestial carriage. I can tell you I was so tempted to leave this 'miserable' material world...but I declined. Opened my eyes and with a smile left the park. Wisdom prevails.

Happy practice! :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 6

Being reborn in Brahma worlds is not bad but reading your post you clearly have potential to realize some fruits of sotapanna so keep going. 

Indeed. We all got the keep going regardless of the challenges. Never give up! :)

Ananda.

Thanks for posting article!    it's interesting how motivations evolve relative to our development, and how also its not a one way street, they can devolve if we dont keep up with the practice..  

Edited by Edward M

I used to know Lust.

Funny that the reason I decided to read this thread is because I dreamed last night.  (I don't often do that.)

I dreamed of two different redheads I actually knew in real life.  Back when I knew them the attraction was Lust.  In my dream there was no lust involved.  The only visions were visions of their beauty and the nice people they were.  I'm glad the dream reflected my "now" reality.  (Yes, I still look at women.)

• Like 4

Lust is a big hurdle if we consider it as such. Or it could just be a bodily reaction to a potential candidate of procreation.  In my experience it becomes an issue when we start having inner conflicts over it...feeling guilty, self-judgmental etc. It is rooted in moral judgements thinking patterns we have acquired over the course of our lives.

Lust starts to get sublimated automatically as we age imho and ime. It only becomes a vicious cycle when we start getting into neurotic patterns (as described above)....

mind thinks a lustful thoughts...fear, guilt, self-recrimination, abstinence, lustful thoughts....over and over.

• Like 4

What harm would there be in joining her? can one not cultivate in a beautiful world?

You would settle for less. If you practice spiritual path to settle for less then it's useless way.

Edited by SeekerOfHealing

I would at least try to have coffee or drinks with her.  Have a good discussion, see what I can learn from such a creature. 

Though if its her way or the highway, then she's on her own, I don't do ultimatums. 

• Like 2

You are all very funny! :)

And certainly it isn't a creature, it's a deva, a being with very good karma who has been reborn in a plane 1,000 times better than this human world of ours. I only saw joy, unconditional love and complete happiness in her. Devas are all so happy and cheerful. :)

That's right, never settle with the first dish when you can go all the way to the dessert!

http://thedailyenlightenment.com/2012/03/the-buddhas-victory-over-a-god-demon/

Always the Buddha and his infinite wisdom. God, I wish I could have met him in real life.

• Like 2

You would settle for less. If you practice spiritual path to settle for less then it's useless way.

Why not some beautiful friends along the way?

Why even have this forum?

Edited by Sionnach

A highly recommended reading:

https://appliedbuddhism.com/2009/08/28/lust-and-the-undeveloped-mind/

Which I hope it will make you practice with more determination.

Interesting enough 3 months ago I was doing seated meditation after Bagua practice in the park, when an absolutely stunning female deva, beauty without a match, love and radiance shining in all directions and wearing some sort of golden crown, came down next to me and invited me to hop in her celestial carriage. I can tell you I was so tempted to leave this 'miserable' material world...but I declined. Opened my eyes and with a smile left the park. Wisdom prevails.

Happy practice! :)

"I can tell you I was so tempted to leave this 'miserable' material world"

Really? this "world" / reality we live in, is very perfect and very far from misery and imperfection. 

It is just a mind judgement to what is, and in your own mind, it is negative and miserable (according to what you said).

I would say, this holographic experience you had, is just a mind image that comes out from your beliefs (energy, celestial...) and as you said, lust, and I would add your perception of the world (as something negative).

It is a mind sort of escapism (advanced dream thought) of what is, created to elude your focus from effective meditation. 

As we improve in meditating and in increasing our awareness, the mind will also improve and develop, and so its techniques that elude our awareness of what is.

• Like 1