Sign in to follow this  
dawei

Questionable Journalism and Fake News

So Soros will be determining whether a news is a fake or not? Interesting development.

What proof do you have regarding Soros?

What proof do you have regarding Soros?

Good question.

IFCN/Poynter (partly funded by Soros as seen here where it says Open Society Foundations) has established a code of principles in fact checking, which Facebook is using as a minimum guideline. Poynter's fine print is that Facebook isn't using IFCN as a fact checker, because it's "an alliance of fact checkers" and not one organization...but it's using the "fact checkers" who are IFCN signatories. Who IFCN approves.

In other words, it's using IFCN, funded by Soros.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 2

So what is an example of a fake news story that threw thousands of people off?

Just one good example please. 

I`m not sure if this qualifies as "fake news" or not, because who knows whether or not it was deliberate.  (Well, likely some other Bums here know, but not me.)  Here`s my example:  Hillary is a shoe-in to win.

• Like 2

Good question.

IFCN/Poynter (partly funded by Soros as seen here where it says Open Society Foundations) has established a code of principles in fact checking, which Facebook is using as a minimum guideline. Poynter's fine print is that Facebook isn't using IFCN as a fact checker, because it's "an alliance of fact checkers" and not one organization...but it's using the "fact checkers" who are IFCN signatories. Who IFCN approves.

In other words, it's using IFCN, funded by Soros.

There are other funding organizations mentioned in your link. Why not accuse those of some dark conspiracy instead of singling out George Soros. 

• Like 1

I would say 'news' is about things that are happening or have happened, not projections of possible futures. Those headlines werent news, just guesses that turned out wrong. So, not fake, but mistake.

Fake news is a false report. Gulf of Tonkin incident, started American involement in Vietnam.

Many ppl saw the whole Sandy Hook shooting as fake news--staged and falsified to create fear, anger, and so on.

8)

I`m not sure if this qualifies as "fake news" or not, because who knows whether or not it was deliberate. (Well, likely some other Bums here know, but not me.) Here`s my example: Hillary is a shoe-in to win.

• Like 1

I`m not sure if this qualifies as "fake news" or not, because who knows whether or not it was deliberate.  (Well, likely some other Bums here know, but not me.)  Here`s my example:  Hillary is a shoe-in to win.

good example. 

• Like 1

There are other funding organizations mentioned in your link. Why not accuse those of some dark conspiracy instead of singling out George Soros. 

I think the entire idea of Facebook censoring certain news sources (going beyond merely flagging them) is a dark conspiracy. I prefer to think for myself and have access to many varying sources.

• Like 2

I think this is a good example fake news:

1. China takes a US drone

2. US working with China to get it back

3. Trump tweets that China should just keep it

4. News saying that such tweets will now make it harder to get the drone back

5. The drone actually gets returned very fast

The fake news occurs at #4... that was sensationalism without any basis.    This is happening likely hundreds of times a day...   Creating news that isn't there.  Its not so much that it is intentionally creating fake news but the obsession with trying to state a headline based on faulty thinking.

So why did the opposite happen ?  

My wife agreed 100% and very quickly on why it happened... it takes looking at the entire tweet (or two) instead of cherry picking a part of it as news so often does.   The part of the tweet they leave out in most new outlets is the part they didn't understand the impact of, and thus ignored it.  That is the important part of the tweet...

Tweet #1:

China steals United States Navy research drone in international waters - rips it out of water and takes it to China in unprecedented act.

Tweet #2:

We should tell China that we don't want the drone
they stole back.- let them keep it!

Anybody who knows anything about chinese political thinking and ways will realize the shudder the words above will induce. That was the kind of affront that chinese will do anything to quickly quell...

All the US news spinners heard was "Trump told China to keep the drone" in order to sensationalize a headline. In the hearts of chinese, they heard, 'the president-elect just called us thieves..."

• Like 3

So this was one of the main reasons I started this thread:

German legislators want to fine Facebook for fake news

German lawmakers want new laws to prosecute social media outlets, including Facebook, for publishing fake news and hate messages.

Social Democratic Party parliamentary chairman Thomas Oppermann suggests fines as high as $519,000 for violations, according to an interview with German weekly magazine Der Spiegel.

“If after the relevant checks Facebook does not immediately, within 24 hours, delete the offending post then [it] must reckon with severe penalties of up to 500,000 euros.”

He also said Facebook hasn’t dealt with the problem enough. “Facebook did not avail itself of the opportunity to regulate the issue of complaint management itself,” Oppermann said. “Now market dominating platforms like Facebook will be legally required to build a legal protection office in Germany that is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.”

He said victims of fake news and hate messages should contact the platform in which they’ve been targeted

One of the reasons I feel FB is being unfairly targeted is that they just channel news out there; they don't start it... and it seems the original source is to really blame.  When will people take the major networks to task, to remain objective and stick to facts instead of trying to steal headlines... it's a game but it's gotten out of control.

Also, getting governent involved in regulating social media gets everyone used to the idea that free speech is not free, we cant communicate with whom we want on what topics we want, because Big Bro is goin to censor us.

This is the most worrying trend for me. Whether 'news' is verifiably factual (rarely) or totally made-up we need to be FREE to speak of it without oversight or interference!!

8)

• Like 2

So this was one of the main reasons I started this thread:

German legislators want to fine Facebook for fake news

One of the reasons I feel FB is being unfairly targeted is that they just channel news out there; they don't start it... and it seems the original source is to really blame. When will people take the major networks to task, to remain objective and stick to facts instead of trying to steal headlines... it's a game but it's gotten out of control.

I think the most significant phrase in that article is "compliant management." This is the objective. FB is being used to set an example, to rub the dog's nose in the mess and make sure everyone is clear on who is boss. Government is. More specifically, authoritarian centralized government. Don't go thinking a couple little election setbacks change the glidepath, that individualism will be allowed to rear its ugly head or that enormous corporations led by ridiculously wealthy people can slip the yoke of servitude. These temporary imbalances are being corrected and The Real Santa is updating his List. Toe the line or take what's coming to you.

The only question which remains is, who will blink?

• Like 1

Admittedly, I do not know anything about An0maly, but his message in the following video is something to consider. Many news outlets and SJWs on social media want to blame Trump for tragic events like the Portland killer on the train. Have those news outlets and SJWs considered they could be contributing to emotional, violent, and sometimes homicidal outbursts by already mentally and emotionally unstable individuals by twisting facts to meet a political agenda?

• Like 2

The leftists don't want to believe what's on that murderer's Facebook page...that he was insanely and violently opposed to Trump and in support of Bernie and Stein. You point it out in his own postings and it just doesn't register...they still think he's a Trump supporter.

• Like 5

On 5/29/2017 at 0:13 PM, Aetherous said:

The leftists don't want to believe what's on that murderer's Facebook page...that he was insanely and violently opposed to Trump and in support of Bernie and Stein. You point it out in his own postings and it just doesn't register...they still think he's a Trump supporter.

you also see that K. Griffin played the victim in her despicable act... claiming Trump 'broke her'...

There is a lot of victim play to cover up mental and emotional imbalance in folks playing out in violence as well.   Folks are just not willing to confess the problem is within.

• Like 5

Facebook just did its own version of fake news by simply lying...

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/03/22/zuckerberg-dont-sell-data-anyone/#disqus_thread

Mark Zuckerberg: ‘We Don’t Sell Any Data to Anyone’

Well... maybe its just a white lie...   maybe they just give it away free as part of some agreements...

My wife has a FB account and uses a nickname that she made up to only use on FB... in fact, she doesn't even have a single post in it as she eventually never used it.

Yet she gets advertising emails under the nickname she made for FB...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2017 at 7:34 AM, dawei said:

you also see that K. Griffin played the victim in her despicable act... claiming Trump 'broke her'...

There is a lot of victim play to cover up mental and emotional imbalance in folks playing out in violence as well.   Folks are just not willing to confess the problem is within.

The dangerous part is by doing so they are ceding control of themselves to others. 

Its always someone or something else that causes the problem, if only they or it would be, could be, or want to be different.

need to know that change comes from within.

• Like 2

“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.” 
― George Orwell, 1984  

The funny thing is,  government is held accountable but private media corporations are not 

and yet cited as part of what holds government accountable.  They'er commonly referred to as the 4th estate and held up as what is unique about the US demorcy playing a key part...:mellow:   really 

Now playing out in real time.  The fake news and surveillance social media sites  have become the "way" that much of how free speech is expressed but is not part of the government and yet there is 91% negative news feeds about team Trump. .  Oddly enough or maybe not,  people ask why team Trump is so "xxx"  fill in the blank it needs to be brought down.  Wonder why, or maybe not. 

They are now expressing the need to protect us from us....how nice and thoughtful.

“Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently.

We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites.

The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal.

We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship.

The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me.” 
― George Orwell, 1984

Edited by windwalker

"they're just kids"

A reply I was given when I mentioned to one of the teachers aides while practicing out and Golden Gate Park that one of their kids was wearing the American flag and dragging it around on the ground.

I asked him if they taught about those who sacrificed and what was done in order for the freedoms  the kids have to be able to do that.

The reply "they're just kids"

They look to be in junior high school.  At some point those kids will be running parts of the government they may even become president.  

When and where do they learn to respect themselves, honor the traditions of the country that they live in, and understand the sacrifices made for them to do so.

Of course maybe I overreacted after all

"they're just kids"

Edited by windwalker

On 12/17/2016 at 11:12 PM, MooNiNite said:

So what is an example of a fake news story that threw thousands of people off?

Just one good example please. 

ask and you shall recive

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this