Brian

Standing Rock

Fair, but the argument presented to me ,was that it was Their land, and it is Not at all touching the reservation. There is no Barely, about it. , its not touching it , its at a minimum half a mile off! Theres no shamefully ignored possibility of routing it off reservation,,, Its Not On the reservation! The private landholder doesnt like the project for some reason and lets the protest stuff happen on her private land to push the issue.

I googled to see what significance the sacred site has , and I found out they consider the entire black hills ! to be a sacred site, but on her land there is a few rocks which may or may not be in a pile and couldve been put there specifically so it could be called a site,, or maybe hold the corner of a tent down.There is no desecration that can happen there ,its a few ordinary Rocks. If I accidently kicked them ,thered be nothing there.

The hundred leaks, umm how many times filling autos or changing oil, or car wrecks happen to result in a tiny mess per year, in every state and on every reservation on every boat ,on every road tiny things happen. If one of those railroad cars falls in the river , you still get contamination potential, and still maybe not even as bad as a sewer line break or dead cow in your pond.

I like the idea of clean safe water too, but sometimes folks are just drawing the threats with too much zeal.

When the flooded 200000 ares of the reservation as a resevoir, That seems a big issue, , a pipeline underground ,is not.

• Like 1

i guess here are the ones this year:

2016[edit]
  • On January 2, 3 people were injured, one seriously, one home destroyed, and 50 homes were damaged in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, when a leak gas from a gas main entered a home. Preliminary results indicate that a leak occurred at a weld seam on the gas main. Later, Oklahoma regulators filed a complaint over the failure with Oklahoma Natural Gas. The complaint alleged the utility failed to properly inspect its system following eight previous leak failures in the neighborhood going back to 1983.[552][553]
  • On January 9, a 30-inch Atmos Energy gas transmission pipeline exploded and burned in Robertson County, Texas. 4 families nearby were evacuated.[554]
  • On January 11, butane leaking from a pipeline storage facility, in Conway, Kansas, forced a closure of a nearby highway for a time.[555]
  • On February 14, a 6-inch crude oil pipeline broke near Rozet, Wyoming, spilling about 1,500 gallons of crude oil into a creek bed.[556]
  • On February 16, an explosion and fire occurred at a gas plant in Frio County, Texas. 2 employees at the plant were injured.[557]
  • On February 24, a 10-inch propane pipeline exploded and burned, near Sulphur, Louisiana. There were no injuries. About 208,000 gallons of propane were burned. The cause was from manufacturing defects.[558][559]
  • On March 11, about 30,000 gallons of gasoline spilled from a leaking plug on a pipeline, at a tank farm in Sioux City, Iowa.[560]
  • On March 22, about 4,000 gallons of gasoline spilled from a 6-inch petroleum products pipeline in Harwood, North Dakota.[561]
  • On April 2, the TransCanada Corporation Keystone Pipeline was observed by a local resident to be leaking, near Freeman, South Dakota. The cause was a crack in a girth weld, and amount of tar sands dilbit spill was about 16,800 gallons.[562][563]
  • On April 12, a pipeline at a gas plant in Woodsboro, Texas exploded, killing 2 men, and injured another worker.[564]
  • On April 17, a 10 petroleum products pipeline failed in Wabash County, Illinois, resulting in a sheen on the Wabash River. About 48,000 gallons of diesel fuel was spilled.[565]
  • On April 29, a 30-inch Texas Eastern/Spectra Energy pipeline exploded, injuring one man, destroying his home and damaging several others. The incident was reported at 8:17 a.m., near the intersection of Routes 819 and 22 in Salem Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. Later, Spectra Energy Corp. announced plans to dig up and assess 263 miles of that pipeline, from Pennsylvania to New Jersey. Corrosion had been detected at the failed seam 4 years before the rupture.[566][567][568]
  • On May 20, a Shell Oil Company pipeline leaked near Tracy, California, spilling about 21,000 gallons of crude oil.[569]
  • On June 23, a Crimson Pipeline crude oil line leaked in Ventura County, California. Initial reports said the spill size was from 25,200 gallons to 29,000 gallons, but, later reports estimate 45,000 gallons of crude were spilled.[570][571]
  • On July 6, a Plantation Pipeline line was noticed to be leaking in Goochland County, Virginia. The spill did not reach nearby waterways.[572]
  • On August 12, contractors were working on one of the main lines in Sunoco Pipeline LP's Nederland, Texas terminal when crude oil burst through a plug that was supposed to hold the oil back in the pipeline and ignited. The contractors were knocked off the platform to the ground, suffering injuries from the fall and severe burns. 7 contractors were injured.[573]
  • On September 4, a pipeline broke in Kern County, California, spilling reclaimed water & oil.
  • On September 5, a pipeline in Bay Long, Louisiana was hit by dredging operations, resulting in a spill of about 5,300 gallons of crude oil into the water.[574]
  • On September 9, a Colonial Pipeline mainline leak was noticed by workers on another project, in Shelby County, Alabama. At least 252,000 gallons of gasoline leaked from line.[575][576]
  • On September 10, a Sunoco pipeline ruptured near Sweetwater, Texas. About 33,000 gallons of crude oil were spilled. The pipeline was just over a year old.[577]
  • On October 11, two Nicor Gas workers were injured, and two townhouse units destroyed in a massive fire and explosion, caused by a gas leak in Romeoville, Illinois.[578]
  • On October 17, an 8-inch ammonia pipeline started leaking, near Tekamah, Nebraska. A farmer living nearby went to find the source of the ammonia, and was killed by entering the vapor cloud. About 50 people were evacuated from their homes.[579]
  • On October 19, a contractor in Portland, Oregon hit a 1 inch gas pipeline during work. Within an hour, there were 2 explosions, injuring 8 people, destroying or damaging several buildings, and started a fire. Contractors claim a utility locate was done before work began.[580]
  • On October 21, an 8 inch Sunoco pipeline ruptured in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, spilling about 55,000 gallons of gasoline into the Susquehanna River. The river was running high at the time.[581]
  • On October 24, a pipeline ruptured on the Seaway Pipeline, in Cushing, Oklahoma, spraying the area with crude oil.[582]
  • On October 31, a Colonial Pipeline mainline exploded and burned in Shelby County, Alabama, after accidentally being hit by a trackhoe. One worker died at the scene, and 5 others were hospitalized. The explosion occurred approximately several miles from the 9 September 2016 breach.[583][584]

Fair, but the argument presented to me ,was that it was Their land, and it is Not at all touching the reservation. There is no Barely, about it. , its not touching it , its at a minimum half a mile off! Theres no shamefully ignored possibility of routing it off reservation,,, Its Not On the reservation! The private landholder doesnt like the project for some reason and lets the protest stuff happen on her private land to push the issue.

I googled to see what significance the sacred site has , and I found out they consider the entire black hills ! to be a sacred site, but on her land there is a few rocks which may or may not be in a pile and couldve been put there specifically so it could be called a site,, or maybe hold the corner of a tent down.There is no desecration that can happen there ,its a few ordinary Rocks. If I accidently kicked them ,thered be nothing there.

The hundred leaks, umm how many times filling autos or changing oil, or car wrecks happen to result in a tiny mess per year, in every state and on every reservation on every boat ,on every road tiny things happen. If one of those railroad cars falls in the river , you still get contamination potential, and still maybe not even as bad as a sewer line break or dead cow in your pond.

I like the idea of clean safe water too, but sometimes folks are just drawing the threats with too much zeal.

When the flooded 200000 ares of the reservation as a resevoir, That seems a big issue, , a pipeline underground ,is not.

well what happens when the section of the pipeline going through the lake/river breaks? and ruins it for the people living down stream?

It is actually really hard to figure out what is in the water these days, they dont post it publically anymore, i think the most relevant data I was able to find was from 2012

Good stuff, ,,some of it ,,like all the ones about natural gas, since this pipeline is for oil from fractured shale. Natural gas ,doesnt make a puddle , and none of the remediation efforts for these events is described, if it can be cleaned up , That is different ,isnt it?

Theres infrastructure all over the US millions of miles of pipes powerlines , chemical plants etc and sundry. On the scale of multibillion dollar projects, even a wrecked freight train is small beans. Sure, a dog taking a dump on my front lawn seems significant to me,, on my scale,, which is teenie tiny really.

But How does a leaky pipline compare to a nuclear meltdown , the exxon valdez, the BP thing, or flooding a big chunk of the reservation like they already did, in real life , actually ,happened ,, compared to a puddle you bulldoze away to a closed landfill. You have to pick something, something realistic , and better than the one suggested.,rather than tell everyone everywhere to adopt a lifestyle of processing your own feces into methane.

I love that dudes comedy, he did bring up a good point unmentioned,, how often do you personally drink untreated water out of rivers ? Theres too much nature in it for me personally.

oh, and as far as I heard, the native americans didnt have a problem with the Redskins or any of the other mascots. Theyre proud of it Just like the fighting irish and the Italians their mobster stuff.

I think it is pretty obvious water quality in the USA has only been getting worse, and will only continue to get worse.

Ymean like estrogens from birth control pills? yep. Do away with that too along with autos and batteries and steel and voila! Back in the stone age. :)

It is actually really hard to figure out what is in the water these days, they dont post it publically anymore, i think the most relevant data I was able to find was from 2012

I wont hold you to searching proof for that , we all know theres plenty of stuff in water, it dissolves everything and its just the lowest concentration you can detect which determines what youll find. Thing is that it would indeed be nice to have plain ol hoh to drink, but thats just how the modern world is now, and even if you went back in time youd be drinking cholera or diptheria or amoebic dysentary. I know ,I know,, you dont want to have to make unpleasant concessions, none of us does,, but you do have to accept some. Like the solar particles and soil radiation, and natural carcinogens in your food, the threat of plague from rodents around the wigwam and roach pieces in your cereal. Yeah , disgusting ,unpleasant unhealthy, and ,, unavoidable. The great danger , the things which in fact Will actuall as fact kill most of those protesters

is heart disease , and diabetes . And none of this ruckus will stop it.

Edited by Stosh

i can really taste the difference when comparing city water to mountain tap water. 

I think the government should be required to post the water quality statistics online every year. 

• Like 1

i can really taste the difference when comparing city water to mountain tap water. 

I think the government should be required to post the water quality statistics online every year.

They could and probably Should post the'ingredients,' like everybody else has to , for reasons they must already understand. Im from Ny, we have great water there piped in from a nice clean watershed in the Adirondacks. People still drink bottled water there.

obama is no where to be found.  what a garbage corporate interests president.

Obama's dirty secret: the fossil fuel projects the US littered around the world

Through the Export-Import Bank, the Obama administration has spent nearly $34bn on dirty energy plants in countries from India to Australia to South Africa

www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/dec/01/obama-fossil-fuels-us-export-import-bank-energy-projects

2832.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&

A villager living near the Sasan mine’s overburdened dumpsite pleads for relief and rehabilitation from the pollution hazards of the coal mine.

• Like 2

Just heard a report that police are checking all vehicles for food, propane and any other supplies that may benefit the 'water protectors'. It appears the cops are trying to starve them out.

• Like 1

FWIW, federal regulations (and at least all states I'm aware of) require routine test results be made publicly available. Most keep on top of this with annual reports but some lag behind or report less than every year, it seems. Most can be found by searching the Internet for "<your_city_&_state> water quality report" (where you replace the first part with your actual city & state...) Some don't link you to it directly but instead link you to the city's water department's website and you find it there. Black Mountain, NC is like that, for instance.

Just for reference, here's Black Mountain's:

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.townofblackmountain.org/LinkClick.aspx%3Ffileticket%3DLiEESU5PVNc%253D%26tabid%3D93%26portalid%3D0%26mid%3D461%26forcedownload%3Dtrue&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi_07D67NPQAhWK7iYKHdZ0BWIQFggFMAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGqNTcMk2wmwD8s63rJXfDo6_87Nw

Edited by Brian
  • Like 2

FWIW, federal regulations (and at least all states I'm aware of) require routine test results be made publicly available. Most keep on top of this with annual reports but some lag behind or report less than every year, it seems. Most can be found by searching the Internet for "<your_city_&_state> water quality report" (where you replace the first part with your actual city & state...) Some don't link you to it directly but instead link you to the city's water department's website and you find it there. Black Mountain, NC is like that, for instance.

Just for reference, here's Black Mountain's:

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.townofblackmountain.org/LinkClick.aspx%3Ffileticket%3DLiEESU5PVNc%253D%26tabid%3D93%26portalid%3D0%26mid%3D461%26forcedownload%3Dtrue&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi_07D67NPQAhWK7iYKHdZ0BWIQFggFMAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGqNTcMk2wmwD8s63rJXfDo6_87Nw

thanks

Edited by MooNiNite

Friday 2 December 2016 17.33 GMT

Trump supports Dakota pipeline – but claims it's not due to his investment in it

Transition team says that the president-elect’s endorsement of the controversial Dakota Access pipeline ‘has nothing to do with his personal investments’

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/02/donald-trump-dakota-access-pipeline-support-investment

5347.jpg?w=1065&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&