Brian

Standing Rock

I think this was inaccurate of the media to portray (as usual). On that:

Same with the media pretending that everyone in charge of an agency quit at once, when in fact the entirety of people in any prez admin submit resignations when a new one comes in (already done) and the new prez chooses to either 'accept' them (fire them) or request they stay on (hire them). Four people and one minion were fired by the new administration and that's going to be far bigger and more pervasive before long here. Perhaps the media will continue pretending that this perfectly ordinary transition process means that Literally Hitler™ is inspiring people to leap from ledges holding hands in their despair.

I think the whole meme that Trump only won the so-called alt-right is more of the liberal media's denial, to marginalize him. The man had 63 million people vote for him. 30 million of those were women. The so-called alt-right was a tiny fringe. One of its media (Brietbart) exploded in great part because the mainstream media has been so intentionally out of touch with reality as part of their propaganda machine that people ended up at websites like Brietbart just trying to figure out what was really going on.

Probably. But it's not too hard to read 95 million adults aren't working, can't afford their forced-upon health insurance they then can't afford to use, are utterly sick of tens of millions of illegals and the fallout of that, worried of the threat to national security of having no decent southern border and importing people from the regions that most hate us and often with decent additional-cause (they did already anyway) since Obama spent 8 years blowing most of them up, and the corruption that lobbying and unlimited terms has brought to our government, the corruption and politicizing of every federal agency as the C-Span congressional videos on youtube make so clear, and so much more. A person wouldn't need to be a genius to know there are issues government needs to deal with and a lot of citizens would like someone in government who wants to. They would however need to have so much money personally that a lack of funding by existing controllers wouldn't matter, the utter hatred of not one but both parties of government against and outsider wouldn't matter, and the entire edifice of western media against them wouldn't matter. As improbability would have it, the country actually found a guy like that.

He found a way of bringing the GOP to heel on everything that mattered most to him. They have bowed to him far more than he has to them, with a couple rare exceptions.

He's a centrist not a right-wing sort, that is for certain. He doesn't need to be predictable by any grand political or cosmic insight: he's predictable because he is up front and says what he wants and what he plans to do, and then he does it. He's already done more to back his 'campaign promises' than any politician I've known of in my life.

His almost daily approach to pissing off the media and giving them SQUIRREL! talking points to obsess on is a bit unpredictable. Need to get more popcorn.

I'd sure like to see some UN-climate money go to Flint, and an agency for inventions that best help deal with the economic effects of traditional energy harvesting.

RC

Would you refrain from characterizing the media as liberal. I posted on this in the talk Trump thread and compared historical events from the 30's in which the media was called the 'liberal media'. That is a very loaded and generalized term.

When I see one using this meme, I immediately associate that person with the likes of Rush Limbaugh. Not in every way of course.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

I think this was inaccurate of the media to portray (as usual). On that:

Same with the media pretending that everyone in charge of an agency quit at once, when in fact the entirety of people in any prez admin submit resignations when a new one comes in (already done) and the new prez chooses to either 'accept' them (fire them) or request they stay on (hire them). Four people and one minion were fired by the new administration and that's going to be far bigger and more pervasive before long here. Perhaps the media will continue pretending that this perfectly ordinary transition process means that Literally Hitler™ is inspiring people to leap from ledges holding hands in their despair.

I think the whole meme that Trump only won the so-called alt-right is more of the liberal media's denial, to marginalize him. The man had 63 million people vote for him. 30 million of those were women. The so-called alt-right was a tiny fringe. One of its media (Brietbart) exploded in great part because the mainstream media has been so intentionally out of touch with reality as part of their propaganda machine that people ended up at websites like Brietbart just trying to figure out what was really going on.

Probably. But it's not too hard to read 95 million adults aren't working, can't afford their forced-upon health insurance they then can't afford to use, are utterly sick of tens of millions of illegals and the fallout of that, worried of the threat to national security of having no decent southern border and importing people from the regions that most hate us and often with decent additional-cause (they did already anyway) since Obama spent 8 years blowing most of them up, and the corruption that lobbying and unlimited terms has brought to our government, the corruption and politicizing of every federal agency as the C-Span congressional videos on youtube make so clear, and so much more. A person wouldn't need to be a genius to know there are issues government needs to deal with and a lot of citizens would like someone in government who wants to. They would however need to have so much money personally that a lack of funding by existing controllers wouldn't matter, the utter hatred of not one but both parties of government against and outsider wouldn't matter, and the entire edifice of western media against them wouldn't matter. As improbability would have it, the country actually found a guy like that.

He found a way of bringing the GOP to heel on everything that mattered most to him. They have bowed to him far more than he has to them, with a couple rare exceptions.

He's a centrist not a right-wing sort, that is for certain. He doesn't need to be predictable by any grand political or cosmic insight: he's predictable because he is up front and says what he wants and what he plans to do, and then he does it. He's already done more to back his 'campaign promises' than any politician I've known of in my life.

His almost daily approach to pissing off the media and giving them SQUIRREL! talking points to obsess on is a bit unpredictable. Need to get more popcorn.

I'd sure like to see some UN-climate money go to Flint, and an agency for inventions that best help deal with the economic effects of traditional energy harvesting.

RC

Thanks for the differing perspective. Good read.

• Like 1

Would you refrain from characterizing the media as liberal. I posted on this in the talk Trump thread and compared historical events from the 30's in which the media was called the 'liberal media'. That is a very loaded and generalized term.

When I see one using this meme, I immediately associate that person with the likes of Rush Limbaugh. Not in every way of course.

I am out of words for what to call the mainstream media if not liberal -- since they are so overtly "left wing" and worse, barring Fox (which is right-wing and worse) that the word "Democrat" would not do (and is quite unfair to the many good democrats who wonder when their party went off the edge) and merely calling them "the enemy" while often but-not-always true would be even more biased. Have you a suggested word?

Your ability to conclude that so many Single Words someone uses as a regular modern part of a living language -- language is alive and changes all the time -- have at some point in history been used for something else and hence the person today using it in a pretty normal way is unreasonably biased -- is so... so... LIBERAL.  LOL!!!!  It IS!

PS I like Rush Limbaugh.

PPS And I used the word again because however it might have been used "at some point in history" is not NOW. Language moves with the people.

RC

I resisted saying you are mansplainin' politics, a double-whammy as that's a leftist-pussyist term of its own--but only barely.

Edited by redcairo

PS I like Rush Limbaugh.

RC

I resisted saying you are mansplainin' politics, a double-whammy as that's a leftist-pussyist term of its own--but only barely.

I don't.  (Just thought I would mention that.)

• Like 1

I am out of words for what to call the mainstream media if not liberal -- since they are so overtly "left wing" and worse, barring Fox (which is right-wing and worse) that the word "Democrat" would not do (and is quite unfair to the many good democrats who wonder when their party went off the edge) and merely calling them "the enemy" while often but-not-always true would be even more biased. Have you a suggested word?

Your ability to conclude that so many Single Words someone uses as a regular modern part of a living language -- language is alive and changes all the time -- have at some point in history been used for something else and hence the person today using it in a pretty normal way is unreasonably biased -- is so... so... LIBERAL.  LOL!!!!  It IS!

PS I like Rush Limbaugh.

RC

You are lumping, generalizing and accusing all media that you don't agree with liberal and lying. Furthermore, I was citing historical precedent as to how the meme liberal media has been used. So far no one has defined what liberal media actually means except the implication that the Democrats are responsible and at fault. BTW, liberal media was associated with communists and Jews in Germany, whether a Jewish person was one or not.

All caps are considered shouting.

Edited by ralis

Seems that Standing Rock will become Sitting Boulder.

Trump giving the go-ahead for construction doesn't look very good for the protestors.

I'm not sure if the oil money made a difference but I'm sure the creation of jobs was an important factor for him.

Seems that Standing Rock will become Sitting Boulder.

Trump giving the go-ahead for construction doesn't look very good for the protestors.

I'm not sure if the oil money made a difference but I'm sure the creation of jobs was an important factor for him.

That and the Keystone pipeline will create many jobs for a few years and once construction is finished a few maintenance persons which numbers in less than twenty will be permanent.

Yes, my sense of humor (the caps) doesn't convey very well in writing, sorry...

Liberal media really does correspond with the communist agenda so maybe it's a better word than I realized.

Can't do much about the jews association. They may dominate several positions of power in media but they do in many other fields too so that doesn't mean much.

You responded so fast, I apologize for the edit, I usually don't edit for real-content except immediately after, must start using preview more often.

RC

DJT's made mention in the past of other/alternate energy sources, but I think since a} we are clearly heavily dependent on the ordinary ones (coal, gas, oil) at the moment, and b} dependent, to be specific, on people in regions of the world that hate and want to kill us (the middle east), and c} we already have most of the infrastructure and know-how as well as the energy reserves needed, to pursue them, it'll go first with the Big Energy.

I have hope though, and I think there is some reason for it, that down the line he will do much to facilitate a more serious look at other energy forms than anybody has done before, in part due to the entrenched dependence on the others.

RC

• Like 1

That and the Keystone pipeline will create many jobs for a few years and once construction is finished a few maintenance persons which numbers in less than twenty will be permanent.

I'm not going to argue this because it is true.  Doesn't change anything though.

Yes, my sense of humor (the caps) doesn't convey very well in writing, sorry...

Liberal media really does correspond with the communist agenda so maybe it's a better word than I realized.

Can't do much about the jews association. They may dominate several positions of power in media but they do in many other fields too so that doesn't mean much.

You responded so fast, I apologize for the edit, I usually don't edit for real-content except immediately after, must start using preview more often.

RC

Liberal media are controlled by some communist agenda? Are you informed as to what communist propaganda is? Rush and others have started this meme with no proof or analysis but ranting narratives.

• Like 1

DJT's made mention in the past of other/alternate energy sources, but I think since a} we are clearly heavily dependent on the ordinary ones (coal, gas, oil) at the moment, and b} dependent, to be specific, on people in regions of the world that hate and want to kill us (the middle east), and c} we already have most of the infrastructure and know-how as well as the energy reserves needed, to pursue them, it'll go first with the Big Energy.

I have hope though, and I think there is some reason for it, that down the line he will do much to facilitate a more serious look at other energy forms than anybody has done before, in part due to the entrenched dependence on the others.

RC

In my travels further West I see more evidence of solar and wind farms. As far as I know, all oil in this country goes on the world market.

• Like 2

Yeah, I had a problem with the "communist" thing too.  I don't buy it.

But I do buy the intentional "dumbing down" of Americans.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 2

Yeah, I had a problem with the "communist" thing too.  I don't buy it.

But I do buy thee intentional "dumbing down" of Americans.

You and I grew up during the peak of the cold war and have a good idea as to the fear mongering then. Lest we forget about the communist fear mongering regarding Nam.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 2

In my travels further West I see more evidence of solar and wind farms. As far as I know, all oil in this country goes on the world market.

The cost of installation is what is keeping it (solar and wind) from becoming more popular.  Most businesses can do it as they can write it off as a cost of doing business.

• Like 1

You and I grew up during the peak of the cold war and have a good idea as to the fear mongering then. Lest we forget about the communist fear mongering regarding Nam.

And I was in the Army most of that time so it was even more relevant for me than for most people.

Hehehe.  I responded before you edited.

Yes, Nam is a perfect example of how the government instilled fear into the mind of most Americans.  I always thought the war was stupid.  Many people did.  Some got killed while protesting.

Hehehe.  I responded before you edited.

Yes, Nam is a perfect example of how the government instilled fear into the mind of most Americans.  I always thought the war was stupid.  Many people did.  Some got killed while protesting.

There are times when I think the draft should be instituted so that people will wake up and question. Certainly woke me up! As you know, the military can be a shocking experience where some question deeply.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

Right, not much. Of course, using our own steel creates jobs in that industry, and mfg creates jobs (what is the official stat, 2.3 subsidiary jobs for every 1 mfg job I think) in dependent industries. Still I agree the pipelines are not huge job creators on their own, though the funds will help in more governmental but less tangible-to-us-proletariat ways.

And realistically, most of the jobs we need to do and that will really create temporary (few years) jobs are infrastructure. So many of our bridges are just disasters waiting to happen as one example. Hopefully by the time a nationwide mass effort for infrastructure upgrade is worked at least partly through, we may have other options, depending on what is able to be brought back.

I work in IT/publishing, where offshoring is a total vampire. And the really offensive thing is that most of it IS NOT EVEN CHEAPER. It seems like it would be. What it IS, is "instantly expendable" and "infinitely scalable" and "someone else's HR problem." But as far as the cost goes, we have outsourced a huge % of the work in our corp gradually (including, against my will, the sub-dept. I built) and they in fact pay *more* than I paid my in-country 1099 vendors who were distributed and scalable with a little warning. We got 'contracts' that paid them more money for far worse work with more 'notice' for scalability and far less options for urgent/exception things, because the execs think offshoring is the freakin' answer to everything. It's horribly depressing especially since they basically dumped multiple small companies and all their people with zero notice, when they'd done zero wrong and been good-faith very close vendors for a decade.

(They also do an every 3 month 'restructuring' and get rid of more people who have been around longer, and then open 'new' positions nearly identical, and on occasion 'offer them' to 'reapply' for the 'new' job which is half the pay, start vacation & 401K amts over, and usually require something like move across the country to a big city nobody sane wants to live in with no $ help for doing so at all. And they can do this because a country full of offshoring that at this point likely employs far more people in india/pakistan than it does here, has left so many people out of work here, there's sheer desperation.)

As the final irony, the not-even-cheaper-really amounts paid on contract to overseas, compared to 1099 remote workers here, are paid to agencies. The people in those countries often work for pittance, being pimped out by the agency project managers who are making most the money.

RC

• Like 1

There are times when I think the draft should be instituted so that people will wake up and question. Certainly woke me up! As you know, the military can be a shocking experience where some question deeply.

I agree.  And even the women could be subject to the draft but they could be exempt by a simple request.

And yes, my first couple years were challenging for me, having been a loner all my life.

And realistically, most of the jobs we need to do and that will really create temporary (few years) jobs are infrastructure. So many of our bridges are just disasters waiting to happen as one example. Hopefully by the time a nationwide mass effort for infrastructure upgrade is worked at least partly through, we may have other options, depending on what is able to be brought back.

Trump did speak to that while campaigning but I haven't heard anything since he was elected.  I hope he remembers.

I agree.  And even the women could be subject to the draft but they could be exempt by a simple request.

And yes, my first couple years were challenging for me, having been a loner all my life.

Let me see. Who on this forum should be drafted first? 

Right, not much. Of course, using our own steel creates jobs in that industry, and mfg creates jobs (what is the official stat, 2.3 subsidiary jobs for every 1 mfg job I think) in dependent industries. Still I agree the pipelines are not huge job creators on their own, though the funds will help in more governmental but less tangible-to-us-proletariat ways.

I work in IT/publishing, where offshoring is a total vampire. And the really offensive thing is that most of it IS NOT EVEN CHEAPER. It seems like it would be. What it IS, is "instantly expendable" and "infinitely scalable" and "someone else's HR problem." But as far as the cost goes, we have outsourced a huge % of the work in our corp gradually (including, against my will, the sub-dept. I built) and they in fact pay *more* than I paid my in-country 1099 vendors who were distributed and scalable with a little warning. We got 'contracts' that paid them more money for far worse work with more 'notice' for scalability and far less options for urgent/exception things, because the execs think offshoring is the freakin' answer to everything. It's horribly depressing especially since they basically dumped multiple small companies and all their people with zero notice, when they'd done zero wrong and been good-faith very close vendors for a decade.

(They also do an every 3 month 'restructuring' and get rid of more people who have been around longer, and then open 'new' positions nearly identical, and on occasion 'offer them' to 'reapply' for the 'new' job which is half the pay, start vacation & 401K amts over, and usually require something like move across the country to a big city nobody sane wants to live in with no $ help for doing so at all. And they can do this because a country full of offshoring that at this point likely employs far more people in india/pakistan than it does here, has left so many people out of work here, there's sheer desperation.)

As the final irony, the not-even-cheaper-really amounts paid on contract to overseas, compared to 1099 remote workers here, are paid to agencies. The people in those countries often work for pittance, being pimped out by the agency project managers who are making most the money.

RC

I agree in that infrastructure is a major problem that needs addressed sooner than later. I have seen some bridges that I have not wanted to cross. 

Let me see. Who on this forum should be drafted first? 

Don't even think about it.  Brian is too old for the draft.