26 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Earth Round?

• Yes
    • No

lol.

No, its a 'fact', read the above link. 

It also has a good definition of what stupidity is ;

As the Third Basic Law explicitly clarifies:

A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses.

When confronted for the first time with the Third Basic Law, rational people instinctively react with feelings of skepticism and incredulity. The fact is that reasonable people have difficulty in conceiving and understanding unreasonable behaviour. But let us abandon the lofty plane of theory and let us look pragmatically at our daily life. We all recollect occasions in which a fellow took an action which resulted in his gain and our loss: we had to deal with a bandit. We also recollect cases in which a fellow took an action which resulted in his loss and our gain: we had to deal with a helpless person. We can recollect cases in which a fellow took an action by which both parties gained: he was intelligent. Such cases do indeed occur. But upon thoughtful reflection you must admit that these are not the events which punctuate most frequently our daily life. Our daily life is mostly, made of cases in which we lose money and/or time and/or energy and/or appetite, cheerfulness and good health because of the improbable action of some preposterous creature who has nothing to gain and indeed gains nothing from causing us embarrassment, difficulties or harm. Nobody knows, understands or can possibly explain why that preposterous creature does what he does. In fact there is no explanation - or better there is only one explanation: the person in question is stupid.

http://harmful.cat-v.org/people/basic-laws-of-human-stupidity/

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Pray tell ,

what is the world  ....   'for' ? 

But it doesnt really.  Well, not function well, generally. Certain people may relate well.

You better get used to the stupidity 

The first law of human stupidity states ;  " Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation. "

http://harmful.cat-v.org/people/basic-laws-of-human-stupidity/

The purpose of existence is to be.  What quality of existence you like is up to you.  However, existing is not up to you or to anyone, anywhere and cannot be annihilated away by anything anywhere, therefore "to be" is the only universal truth that exists common to all things, people, and places, and everything, everywhere.

In this short essay I will refer to "the world" as equal in meaning to "life"... as the two are indivisble.

There are multiple purposes of life which one can determine are absolutely true because they are self-evident based upon the fact that they give our existence a direction - they perpetuate existence, and therefore their purpose to us is revealed.  Also of note is that they are all operating all the time and are pieces of the larger picture.

They are also unchangeable and are purposeful beyond our own understanding at times....simply because we do not possess the power to see them yet in effect.  But at those times, we can truthfully say that we "feel" intuitively that something is occurring, can't we?

Meaning exists relative to time.  Space exists relative to purpose.  Everything that exists occupies time and space, and therefore has a meaning and a purpose....   if something "did not exist"  the perception of it "not-existing" would negate it away from non-existent to being existent as a form of somekind.   So there is actually no difference between non-being and being..... no difference between being and becoming, because both "are".... the truth is that they are both the same......  the Tao Te Ching gives us a clue in its first verse of this mystery-

"The nameless is the beginning of heaven and earth.

The named is the mother of ten thousand things.

Ever desireless, one can see the mystery.

Ever desiring, one can see the manifestations.

These two spring from the same source but differ in name;

this appears as darkness.

Darkness within darkness.

The gate to all mystery."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

One purpose of life is to enjoy it - clearly everyone can agree that they are attempting to enjoy their own existence, are they not?  Who honestly can say that they are not trying to live happily and are not seeking gratification of their desires?

Another purpose of life is to understand it.  Without understanding why things are, happen, and to what end they seek to change or incur significance causes us to be frustrated, anxious, and without any understanding of anykind ultimately will destroy us.  Everyone wants to know everything whether they admit it or not...because it is natural to do so.  Why else do we have the great curiosity that is propelling forth all of our empirical sciences.  Clearly one purpose of life is to understand it so that we may exist with a happy and satisfied conscious in it at all.  That we may exist, consciously, blissfully ( happily ) knowing the nature of things, and the seemingly mysteriousness nature of life....and where we fit in at whatever point in time and space we find ourselves

The next purpose of life is to work.  To achieve.  To move.  To act.  Without even the smallest workings going on inside our bodies we cease to exist physically.... life is constantly infinitely working.  And it translates through everything, everything must do its duty, it has no choice.  We simply have no choice but to participate in the working of life at some level as a worker for it, so that it continues..... does it ever end?  Is there a place in the universe where we can say.... up no... existence ended there.....?  No, there isn't, is there?  Work also can be taken to mean "activity"... movement from positive to negative, negative to positive, subject to object, etc.

The final purpose of life is to know the All, the Self of which has no identity of a relational consequence between two different things.  The Great That " Which is".... And to " merge " with the infinite self.... to gain a true understanding of the workings of the universe.  ...to conquer the manifestations, to conquer the world... even the great Jesus Christ laid this one down to his discplies:  

"Jesus said: He who seeks, let him not cease seeking until: finds; and when he finds he will be troubled, and if he is troubled, he will be amazed, and he will reign over the All.

The truth is that viewing the merger with the infinite as a merger between two different things as a finite thing as you or I, and the infinite thing as different will never allow the merger to take place.   The truth is that it does exist, and it is a part of our existence whether we like it or not, just as we are a part of it - whether it likes us or not.

This is important, because the truth is important.  Without the truth about things we can get nowhere... and we are all trying to get somewhere aren't we?  Somewhere in all aspects... figuratively, philosophically, materially, financially,  etc...  So, then the work of getting to understand what oneself is through a definite process illuminates to oneself what one is.  The pursuit of realizing one's true identity, one's true essence, one's true nature... is a necessary goal.  Because without this knowledge how else can one communicate lest in wrong temporal information?  Communicating things that are just concepts, ideas, thoughts, etc... that do not prove themselves against the evidence of what is truely always real - cannot encompass also what the agent is ; that is understanding those things.... awareness and expereience cannot be given to people like gifts.   And if we do not have the correct and true experience  than we will assume a false explanation of things in its place....which is no good for anyone, because a false understanding of what one is..only leads to further delusions that prevent satisfaction and happiness from our existence experience..... no.   The spirit must know what it is and it must control existence, or else it is cloaked in darkness of ignorance and is controlled by other forces.....the forces which ultimately will push it to the breaking point and will cause it to react out of whatever condition it is in.  Naturally, self awareness benefits all those who understand it correctly and are able to make use of their powers of perception.     

The purpose of existence is to be.  This can be seen to be true because it is a force that is beyond choice, of like and dislike, of everything that dances through our minds.  There is no purpose except TO BE.  All other purposes are part of being.  

Mostly all pure and true spiritual seeking is aimed at discovering the essential quality of the state of undifferentiated awareness - can we say the qualities of "pure consciousness" i.e.  the one ultimate thing that is everywhere in everything, controlling everything, and always existent...... I am positive this is true, because I have read about it and spoken to people about it for years.

And because happiness and peace are what we seek most, and because the only way to get them is through a knowledge of some sort, we can conclude that if we can but discover the source of everything through a method that would give us definite knowledge that we could feel infinite emotions, infinite joy, infinite peace, and that we could know infinite things, provide infinite counsel, and that we could see infinite things, experience infinitely......that we could be the infinite knower of the fluctuating flows of finite knowledge. 

To actualize ourselves as infinite beings, with infinite capability, power, and creativity and to use them in harmony with their nature - is the purpose of life... it's what we already do on a small scale; what we call life is the visible side of an infinite moment that does this with or without your consent , so therefore it is a universal truth, because it happens to all things everywhere.  The duty before us is to grow "spiritually"....meaning in understanding the true nature of things so that we can assist the universe in it's workings on any level that it is needed to be assisted in.  Assisting the universe in our chosen capacity or virtue is what partially gives it it's temporal appearance and experience.....

.....everything that happens is significant in that if a thing has happened a cause has caused an effect, and an effect is being experienced...and this activity will continue on forever to exhaust us and hopefully propel us to a position where we stop and ask ourselves who are we, what are we, why are we here, and how can we actually find the answers to these questions that would prove the answers to us?    ..... the only answer is direct experience, and direct self-realization....because the mind will desist all unsubstantiated claims put upon it....that is it's nature...for good reason....to push us to realize and actualize what we are, and to implement that knowledge harmoniously and correctly throughout our lives.

To each all comes, from all comes each.

The world is experienced exhaustively, continued, changed, understood, mastered, measured, journeyed from, journeyed to.  Therefore it's purpose is to continue to do these things.  To provide us with experience that we can benefit from to be applied in some way, somewhere, through another type of being.....

• Like 1

So, you meant 'what the world's purpose is '   when you wrote   'what the  world is for '  ?  

I was wondering about the 'for' , as it implied 'usage'.  But I can certainly agree with 'to be' and 'enjoy' . 

Apparently there is no limit to the mind's level of detachment from the obvious.

• Like 1

Pray tell ,

what is the world  ....   'for' ?

Well, that's easy.

Its where I keep my stuff. 

that's what its for. 

• Like 3

Well, that's easy.

that's what its for. 

I feel like I've heard this before.

Well, that's easy.

that's what its for. 

Thats what I meant ... exactly .

'what its for'  can be for the usage   of the one answering the question. 

If one isnt a 'user'  then a thing can have a purpose , without that purpose being a 'usage' . 

I did not get the impression from Jadespear's  post  (now, after reading the longer one) that he 'uses' the world ... he is in it ...  and one may as well enjoy it ... but one doesnt have to 'use it for one's enjoyment' . 

I think the attitude of the world having a 'use for ' us , is a problem,  it is different IMO to live in and as part of the world . 

One can even relate to a person and enjoy that, without a concept of them providing a use for us.

Yet , some only relate to people they can use . 

... nothing personal  Thelearner  .... just bouncing off you  ... 

I use people too sometimes ... even for my own entertainment    ;)

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Apparently there is no limit to the mind's level of detachment from the obvious.

What's up pony boy !   Still  stuck in the obvious, or can you follow the idea a bit more now ?  

:P

What's up pony boy !   Still  stuck in the obvious, or can you follow the idea a bit more now ?  

:P

The OP's question was too vague, so I couldn't give a proper answer. I skimmed some posts to figure out what he meant and what I saw wasn't appealing enough to me.

I'm generally not in a philosophical mood lately.

PinkiePie_trampoline_sig.gif

498701.gif

One day ... I'll get him !  

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

Her. Pinkie is a mare. (Not from the moon though.)

And no. ^◡^ She'll get you.

Edited by Owledge

Deadpool and Pinkie actually have a lot in common from what I could gather. Maybe Deadpool leans closer to the Discord (basically Star Trek's Q), dunno. But Pinkie shares a lot with Discord, too.

Hm, now a question pops up in my mind. I can read up on what Earth is made of, like consists of such and such percent of iron, aluminum, water etc. ... But how much chocolate? How much is in circulation and what percentage of Earth's mass does it represent?
(This was just an attempt to stay on-topic, LOL.)

Edited by Owledge

Physics has shown that matter is constituted of four basic forces which determine the structure of the whole universe.  They are weak chocolate, strong chocolate, letrickle force and heavy stuff.  All other chemical states are formed from combinations of these for instance coffee = strong chocolate + letrickle ;  beer = heavy x letrickle cubed and so on.

The only substance which brings these four into perfect balance is the potato.

• Like 1

Oh, that reminds me...

Today I received a present.

It contained instant coffee.

It's the only type of coffee that can exist in the present.

( https://twitter.com/Dowlphin/status/672206053954711552

Like, retweet, follow and send me a million dollars if your first name begins with a letter. (Trust me, it'll work. --- I'll send you a post card from Hawaii to prove it.) )

P.S.: "The only substance which brings these four into perfect balance is the potato."

Because it is made of pot and anagramized tao. (Which is basically oat. - Also, the potato goes in the pot.)

In essence: Throw oat in a pot, stir, and you are one with tao. (A potato.)

( https://twitter.com/Dowlphin/status/672208208329637888 )

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

well ... that was pretty nasty !

Take this you flat earth nutty alternative undercover reptilian  matrix de-coders : 

Edited by Nungali

Attitude ?    

What makes you say that ?    Dont you like hipsters  ?      ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2869969/Excruciating-encounter-hipster-twin-Cereal-Killer-cafe-challenged-selling-bowl-cornflakes-3-20-one-London-s-poorest-areas.html

I have actually heard people do stuff like at 1.45 and  2.37    :D

Chia pod anyone ? 

Chia_pod_banana_and_diet_duchess.jpg

Only $3.85 at all good hipster shops   ^_^    (or maybe $4.50 .... if you are a real sucker ! ) 

• Like 1