MooNiNite

Is the earth round/spherical?

Earth Shape  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Earth Round?

• Yes
    • No

life is a learning experience. it's a journey, not a destination. 

Oh !  Now I get it ! 

RWIAj.gif

Are you sure they are not flat ?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/facts-and-arguments/why-everyone-and-everything-i-see-looks-flat/article14551974/

" ...  “How can you drive a car?”

The most honest answer is that big things are usually closer to you. If a car looks really big, I’d better hit the brakes. "

:blink:

Edited by Nungali

Both my eyes work so I do see 3D.

Yes, if the truck looks really, really big it is time to hit the brakes.  Even on a flat earth this would be true.

• Like 2

Thank you. 

Here's another news flash:

what you see is bundles of photons which your iris directs to the lens in your eye, which focuses them onto the retina, which transforms them into electrochemical impulses and, via the optic nerve, sends them to the visual cortex, which occupies a few cubic centimeters of space at the very back of your brain, in the occipital lobe.  You see what that little thing in the head tells you to see, and it tells you to see what looks like the "outside world," which it isn't -- the only thing you see is what the electrochemical impulses that charge your neural cells to emit neurotransmitter molecules across the synaptic gaps to hit the receptors accomplish when assembling the illusory "picture" for you as best they can.  As best they can -- for they have never seen it.  That's because the occipital lobe where it is assembled is in complete darkness at all times -- like the rest of the brain for that matter:  the skull is not permeable to light.  Your brain that sells you the "picture" of what the "outside world" "looks like" has never seen it.   

If this tells you (the generic you, not just you personally) nothing about relying on your senses toward massive conclusions as to the nature of reality, I can tell you about your sense of hearing.  Smell.  Space.  And so on.  Do I proceed?.. 

Well, well, well a scientist amongst us who likes to explain things.  Ok.  Explain to me how the information you put forward can be used to do anything besides sound like you are onto something of philosophical merit?  Philosophy doesn't hold a candle to practicality.

Your explanation, explains as best as it can what we see, but why does that matter?  You can't do anything with that knowledge, based upon your understanding so far....  only to conclude that reality ( the world that we live in) is a continual process of us perceiving it that makes it exist.... which is interesting to speculate on, but does not really live up to other questions.... like if I don't perceive it, will it stop to exist?  Is it even possible to stop perceiving something at the level of unconscious interaction you described?...

The original question of " Is the earth flat?' can only be answered by someone who trusts their own 5 senses.  If we were all using your type of unconscious process to tell us what is really going on in the world, then no one could answer anything because it would all amount to.... " but my senses make it that way..."....  Reality is not a subjective experience.  

The spatial dimension of the Earth has been proven to be a 3 dimensional circle, or a "sphere".  If we were to use your way of understanding then the earth, us, everything around us, has no shape at all really, but only looks that way.... thereby rendering your senses useless in understanding anything.  Why would anyone do that?  Why would you deny the only things in life that are capable of providing you with any real evidence to act on?  

Furthermore, what is the point of all this stupid questioning of the earth being round..... what are you guys doing to yourselves?  Why waste time on this pointless question?  Please come to your senses and acknowledge the facts of science to be correct in their 100% correct conclusion of the earth being round.   Come on people.  I thought you were supposed to be "intelligent" and "inquisitive", not in defiance of the truth.  Please save yourselves from further moronic conversation.

• Like 1

Your explanation, explains as best as it can what we see, but why does that matter?  You can't do anything with that knowledge, based upon your understanding so far....  only to conclude that reality ( the world that we live in) is a continual process of us perceiving it that makes it exist.... which is interesting to speculate on, but does not really live up to other questions.... like if I don't perceive it, will it stop to exist?  Is it even possible to stop perceiving something at the level of unconscious interaction you described?...

This was kind of covered shortly after her original post - well, kind of :)

Well, well, well a scientist amongst us who likes to explain things.  Ok.  Explain to me how the information you put forward can be used to do anything besides sound like you are onto something of philosophical merit?  Philosophy doesn't hold a candle to practicality.

The original question of " Is the earth flat?' can only be answered by someone who trusts their own 5 senses.  If we were all using your type of unconscious process to tell us what is really going on in the world, then no one could answer anything because it would all amount to.... " but my senses make it that way..."....  Reality is not a subjective experience.  

The spatial dimension of the Earth has been proven to be a 3 dimensional circle, or a "sphere".  If we were to use your way of understanding then the earth, us, everything around us, has no shape at all really, but only looks that way.... thereby rendering your senses useless in understanding anything.  Why would anyone do that?  Why would you deny the only things in life that are capable of providing you with any real evidence to act on?  

Furthermore, what is the point of all this stupid questioning of the earth being round..... what are you guys doing to yourselves?  Why waste time on this pointless question?  Please come to your senses and acknowledge the facts of science to be correct in their 100% correct conclusion of the earth being round.   Come on people.  I thought you were supposed to be "intelligent" and "inquisitive", not in defiance of the truth.  Please save yourselves from further moronic conversation.

Thankyou Jadespear,

The earth is a big place,some places are flat and are often much sought after.Still others seek out undulating places on earth.

Are we really wasting our time examining what is popular beliefs by our as you see it,"stupid questioning",the truth has not changed.

"Moronic conversation"has no need to be saved and how is this pleasing to you?

How is it pleasing to you that we"come to our senses"?

"100% correct conclusion of the earth being round"Really is it round,are you sure?

Or is it spherical?

LMAO

Thanks Brian,

Just let a few days pass,thinking the answer to LMAO would reveal itself ,it hasn't.

Yet another eschew obfuscation?

Thanks Brian,

Just let a few days pass,thinking the answer to LMAO would reveal itself ,it hasn't.

Yet another eschew obfuscation?

here ya go :

http://urbandictionary.com.au/

Use this tool well young Skywalker. 

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Thanks Nungali,

There is plenty of humor on TDB,LMAO.

Saved the site,now and can stop asking dumb questions,ah maybe not as many,haha.

Thankyou Jadespear,

The earth is a big place,some places are flat and are often much sought after.Still others seek out undulating places on earth.

Are we really wasting our time examining what is popular beliefs by our as you see it,"stupid questioning",the truth has not changed.

"Moronic conversation"has no need to be saved and how is this pleasing to you?

How is it pleasing to you that we"come to our senses"?

"100% correct conclusion of the earth being round"Really is it round,are you sure?

Or is it spherical?

It would be pleasing to me when people come to their senses, because I don't like my fellow beings to live in ignorance of the real world - what it is, why it is, how it is, when it is, and what it is for.  

I suppose I don't like living in a world populated by stupidity....... that's just me.  Mostly, because that world couldnt eventually function to any level of efficiency between people.

People who cannot accept truth are some of the most dangerous people, dangerous because they extoll lies that people actually believe. 

The earth is round, in shape yes. Of course I'm sure.  Its been proven.  First was proven by Magellan, when he sailed aROUND the world centuries ago....  many other things prove that its round... like pictures of it from space....  duh.

Spherical - no, dont think it's a sphere.  A sphere is generally taken to mean an object with perfect proportions relative to its size, almost to a mathematical exactness.  Although, sphere is used colloquially to mean 3-dimensional circles, like the earth, so yes one could say it is a sphere in certain company without being laughed at...

• Like 1

It would be pleasing to me when people come to their senses, because I don't like my fellow beings to live in ignorance of the real world - what it is, why it is, how it is, when it is, and what it is for.  

I suppose I don't like living in a world populated by stupidity....... that's just me.  Mostly, because that world couldnt eventually function to any level of efficiency between people.

People who cannot accept truth are some of the most dangerous people, dangerous because they extoll lies that people actually believe. 

The earth is round, in shape yes. Of course I'm sure.  Its been proven.  First was proven by Magellan, when he sailed aROUND the world centuries ago....  many other things prove that its round... like pictures of it from space....  duh.

Spherical - no, dont think it's a sphere.  A sphere is generally taken to mean an object with perfect proportions relative to its size, almost to a mathematical exactness.  Although, sphere is used colloquially to mean 3-dimensional circles, like the earth, so yes one could say it is a sphere in certain company without being laughed at...

Thankyou Jadespear,

At one time the 'truth'as you say was that the earth was flat and was the centre of the universe.

At one time when someone was experiencing stomach ulcers,everyone knew it was caused by stress,only recently found to be caused by bacteria and easily treated.

Just two examples of further questioning of common hard fast beliefs 'truths' that turned out to be something else.

Yes there is fun to be had in kicking around these ideas,"round or spherical",totally rediculous topic to be discussing,maybe,but we are communicating in a new 'age'of technology,this is historical event we are participating with together,many comments are made tongue in cheek,and quite often worthy of LMAO.

We have become something new,just like that,we can research and communicate across the world in less time than it takes to make a cup of tea,this is awesome.

There is need to be mindful,respectful and courteous when jabbing our spears of critique,the more gentle we are,the easier it is to accept.Even "moronic"comments have a purpose,eg reducing the author's isolation,and are included.We are really all in the same 'boat' none above none below,let's not sail off the edge of.............

nevermind.

Okay.  But I did want to repeat this from Jadespear:

"People who cannot accept truth are some of the most dangerous people, dangerous because they extoll lies that people actually believe."

• Like 1

Okay.  But I did want to repeat this from Jadespear:

"People who cannot accept truth are some of the most dangerous people, dangerous because they extoll lies that people actually believe."

A misconceived view of Truth is dangerous. Being absolutely sure that you have the truth and others don't, that is dangerous. 

Saying everyone else is stupid, also dangerous. 

• Like 3

A misconceived view of Truth is dangerous. Being absolutely sure that you have the truth and others don't, that is dangerous. 

Yep.  I spoke to this just recently and do whenever I get the opportunity.

I share my opinions and understands here.  Rarely do I state facts as I know of only a few.

But I am a marbleheaded kind of person so I need some good arguments before I will alter my opinions and understandings.  Just because it is written in some "holy" book isn't a good enough argument.

• Like 1

Pray tell ,

what is the world  ....   'for' ? 

But it doesnt really.  Well, not function well, generally. Certain people may relate well.

You better get used to the stupidity 

The first law of human stupidity states ;  " Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation. "

http://harmful.cat-v.org/people/basic-laws-of-human-stupidity/

• Like 1

Not everyone ... just more people  than you realise .