MooNiNite

Is the earth round/spherical?

Earth Shape  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Earth Round?

• Yes
    • No

So the thoughts and feelings which caused you write that don't exist?

It's true.  For anyone who does not read them they do not exist.

• Like 1

It's true.  For anyone who does not read them they do not exist.

Well I could answer that but I don't want to derail this thread.

Well I could answer that but I don't want to derail this thread.

I think it is far too late for that.

An orange is round.

I think it is far too late for that.

An orange is round.

Oh yes of course they are:

19e4fz6w54ta6jpg.jpg

• Like 2

Apparently there are showers of rocks on the moon every 48 hours. For this reason people do no believe that we actually went to the moon.

Also, there is a radiation field around the earth that would give astronauts radiation sickness.

http://www.universetoday.com/116742/nasas-van-allen-probes-spot-impenetrable-radiation-barrier-in-space/

I need to do further research into these ideas though.

Edited by MooNiNite

Apparently there are showers of rocks on the moon every 48 hours. For this reason people do no believe that we actually went to the moon. 

Also, there is a radiation field around the earth that would give astronauts radiation sickness.

You certainly do.

• Like 2

To save you some time:

The Van Allen Radiation Belts

These consists of charged particles, electrons, called Beta Radiation and Hydroden Nuclei, called alpha radiation they are of more danger to electrical equipment than people, there are no gamma rays in these belts because Gamma Rays are electromagnetic and  electrically neutral, they cannot be held in fields like charged particles can.  Gamma rays are the most dangerous to people, but the amount in space is not significant, except in certain stellar environtments only found far away from here.

When I was a boy I saw this movie:

Voyage to the bottom of the Sea

about the Van Allen Belts catching fire, caused by a meteor shower of all things, which being a junior science nerd, I new was utter nonsense, but is was a fun movie nonetheless.

The Van Allen Belts catching fire is about as likely as really dangerous showers of rocks on the moon every 48 hours.

They used to print maps of the world complete with largely imaginary sea monsters, and the Van Allen belts in this case are the equivalent of the imaginary sea monsters, as opposed real ones, like big whales and apparently giant squid.

Science has a great deal of data that has been rigorously tested and confirmed over the past few centuries, this is what discovered the Van Allen Belts and put men on the Moon.

Oddly enough what it doesn't have is data that supports the dogmatic materialism that pervades the modern "educated" world.  This is a left over from the revival of Epicureanism in the Seventeenth Century, it was given momentum by an accidental confluence with Newtonianism and given a special status in the late Eighteenth and early Nineteenth Centuries, but when the mathematics and experimental procedures were well developed enough to examine these concepts, their fundamental defects were revealed.  This is what is really important to concentrate on, not whether the earth is round or not.

I don't have time to say anything more about this and won't make any either.

• Like 1

And where did your dog land after the cat swatted it?

The size of it .... it probably got eaten by the cat. 

• Like 1

To save you some time:

The Van Allen Radiation Belts

These consists of charged particles, electrons, called Beta Radiation and Hydroden Nuclei, called alpha radiation they are of more danger to electrical equipment than people, there are no gamma rays in these belts because Gamma Rays are electromagnetic and  electrically neutral, they cannot be held in fields like charged particles can.  Gamma rays are the most dangerous to people, but the amount in space is not significant, except in certain stellar environtments only found far away from here.

When I was a boy I saw this movie:

Voyage to the bottom of the Sea

about the Van Allen Belts catching fire, caused by a meteor shower of all things, which being a junior science nerd, I new was utter nonsense, but is was a fun movie nonetheless.

The Van Allen Belts catching fire is about as likely as really dangerous showers of rocks on the moon every 48 hours.

They used to print maps of the world complete with largely imaginary sea monsters, and the Van Allen belts in this case are the equivalent of the imaginary sea monsters, as opposed real ones, like big whales and apparently giant squid.

Science has a great deal of data that has been rigorously tested and confirmed over the past few centuries, this is what discovered the Van Allen Belts and put men on the Moon.

Oddly enough what it doesn't have is data that supports the dogmatic materialism that pervades the modern "educated" world.  This is a left over from the revival of Epicureanism in the Seventeenth Century, it was given momentum by an accidental confluence with Newtonianism and given a special status in the late Eighteenth and early Nineteenth Centuries, but when the mathematics and experimental procedures were well developed enough to examine these concepts, their fundamental defects were revealed.  This is what is really important to concentrate on, not whether the earth is round or not.

I don't have time to say anything more about this and won't make any either.

So neither are a problem for manned missions to the moon?

Edited by MooNiNite

So the Moon landing was faked now was it ?    I love the way 'this'  'works'      ^_^

I was visiting Tidbinbilla Space tracking center in Canberra - I got invited there by someone I had been visiting and staying with, he said "Come in and check out my work place".

Giant dishes, high security, little cameras on tracks mounted around the walls that follow you and react to your movements, 3 NASA TV channels  being broadcast over various TV screens. A big circular round desk with a group of guys around it, doing, I dont know what , with satellites and info and controls, etc.  My friend is telling them what to do ... you are in charge of this ? 

I was talking to the guys and 2 of them came with me and friend as he gave me a little tour.   We went past this unusual set up in a big room ... ?   Me " What goes on in there ? "

Them; (hesitant )  " Oh .... erm .... "    (These were very 'straight' science type guys, controlling and adjusting satt orbits, relaying info for NASA  ... and who knows  'who; else ? )

Me; "Ohhhh I see, thats where you filmed the fake Moon landings "

They glared at me ..... my friend winces and visually ...  oh Nooooo , what the hell is he doing ?

Then one of the techs goes, totally straight faced; "No !  Dont be stupid !  ........

..... that is where we did and filmed ' Alien Autopsy '     "  

:D  

Very umm, productive. 

Oh come on, you are just listing conspiracy theories now - what do you expect em to think other than you should investigate them first.

• Like 1

Stop trolling him Apech ... or you shall be chastised.

if that doesnt work, you will be considered a bully. 

And, if you are immune to such silly evasive  tactics  well ..... well ..................

well .....................      Oh  

37d1fcb74f7fccfebb2646f416afbdfb.gif

to you !

Now ... that guy has been logically dealt with ... on to the next one ;

Lets start at 10 and work our way down 

http://whatculture.com/offbeat/10-hilariously-stupid-conspiracy-theories-people-actually-believe.php

hollow-earth-crystalinks.jpg

Edited by Nungali

Oh come on, you are just listing conspiracy theories now - what do you expect em to think other than you should investigate them first.

Hmmm , from an ex-moderators POV .... would  continual posting of silly conspiratorial 'theories' be considered trolling ?   smileys-devil-006872.gif

So the Moon landing was faked now was it ?    I love the way 'this'  'works'      ^_^

No one says it was, we are just looking at possibilities. .

Investigating "conspiracy theories" is always more productive than insulting others. 

Edited by MooNiNite

Hmmm , from an ex-moderators POV .... would  continual posting of silly conspiratorial 'theories' be considered trolling ?   smileys-devil-006872.gif

I consider it trolling. Everyday he has some new theory.

Well, just to bring things back on to the topic - which I am hoping is still 'is the earth round or flat'.

I have spent a few valuable minutes watching some of the flat earth vids posted.  the ones I watched at least had the following three propositions.

1.  the earth is flat and disk shaped surrounded by an ice wall.

2.  the sun is not 93 million miles away but just 31 miles away - it is travelling across the sky but as there is no horizon as such it only appears to set because of perspective - just as parallel lines like railway tracks appear to come together in the far distance.

3.  there is no gravity but what appears to be gravity is caused by the movement of the disk earth through space i.e. its inertia.

I think the last one is added because if there were gravity then either the disk would crush itself and fall towards the centre and/or as you approached the 'edge' you would be standing at a strange angle to stay upright.

So in reverse order.

3. )  if the force of gravity were due to motion then it would have to be acceleration - because force = mass X acceleration and in the case of the measured value of gravitational force the disk earth would have to be moving through space accelerating at 32 feet/second squared (9.81 m/s/s).  I'm not sure how old they think the earth is but using any reasonable length of time accelerating at that rate it would now be going well in excess of the speed of light.  Also for it to accelerate there would have to be some force or effect provided the push - what would that be?  A constant velocity does not work as the inertial effect on objects on the surface would be zero.  So that's a big problem which they have to answer.

2. )  If the sun is moving overhead in a straight trajectory and moving towards a distant vanishing point through perspective then the sun's disk would, like all objects, grow smaller as it moved away.  What we would witness through the afternoon would be a slowly shrinking sun until it became a dot int he far distance.  Ok you could argue that it gets obscured by the atmosphere or something before becoming a point of light - but it would still get noticeably smaller while in vision - and it doesn't.  Actually because of the way our eyes and brain process images it appears slightly larger on the horizon even though it actually isn't.

1.  )  if we stand on the earth in Europe or America for instance, at night, and look at the star background we can see a difference between the stars in the south and the north.  That is those stars in the north sky, like the Big Dipper (Ursa Major) do not rise and set but just circulate around a point (astronomical north).  The southern constellations rise and set east to west - for instance Orion and Sirius.  This difference is easily explained if the earth is a sphere, because it is tilted slightly and pointing towards the north direction and thus it is the spin of the earth that makes the Big Dipper rotate.  Not only that but very slowly but measurably this point moves over time because the spin of the earth has a wobble.  Even the early Africans in 6000BC at Nabta Playa by observing the rising and setting of these constellation measured this variation.  So the flat earthers have to explain how these effects could be replicated by a disk moving through space - why would the sky look different north to south?

• Like 4