Lataif

Can QiGong improve eyesight . . . or not (?)

I have absolutely experienced improved eyesight, studying bagua-xingyi and its related foundation (daoyin/qigong) practices. I am talking about being able to put away my glasses for periods ranging between an hour to several hours. During these spans of time I can read signs and make out facial features at four or more times the distance as usual. This doesn't happen every time I practice, and it doesn't happen with all types of qigong and internal martial arts practice--I can say that because I have practiced regularly for about ten years (and irregularly for another six before that) and only with the teacher under whom I've studied for the last two have I had these experiences.

My feeling is that, in my case, one of the keys has been in naturally elongating/straightening the neck and lifting the head. I don't think that I could have experienced these results without the help of a very attentive teacher who correctly understands posture and with whom I study several times a week, as, without his attention to detail and regular adjustment, I would probably never discover the mistake on my own--after all, it has been my deeply ingrained habit for years to hold my body in this way, almost certainly inhibiting the ability of qi-blood to nourish the eyes. I suspect that "building qi" in the body is also necessary. Lots of practices seem to promote health and well-being by moving the body around, but certainly not all of them are transmitted in such a way as to build qi in the practitioner.

I also think that there is no guarantee that any given person practices any given qigong there will be this kind of result. Vision problems' causes are manifold; types of qigong are manifold; no two teachers or students are the same; ways of practicing are infinite. A lot of factors need to line up, and as you can see, in my case, the results only tend to last for a few hours. Could they be made permanent? I truly don't know.

• Like 4

Im almost 33 and have 20/20 vision in one eye and one line up from the bottom in the other eye when i got them tested last week. The eye with better vision is the one i get pain in if i use too much pc which is a bit strange. I do qigong, but my eyes have always been good.

There is ways to strengthen you're eyes, search the internet. A guy that lives near me has a clinic that fixes ppls eyes so they don't need glasses. He's booked out for months, and the glasses are almost 1000$. So i guess it must work for people to be throwing their money at him. I saw him once, had some pretty cool techniques, testing methods that convinced me he was definately on to something.

Qigong is an adjunct. Can doing qigong make you do a higher high jump? Probably not. Can practicing to jump higher make you jump higher? Most definately. Could qigong speed up recovery and delivery of nutrients to the tissues of the eye after doing eye exercises? Most definately. I think this is the answer. The most important thing is that you need to stress your eyes, then rest them. Just like any other body part you want to strengthen.

• Like 3

My feeling is that, in my case, one of the keys has been in naturally elongating/straightening the neck and lifting the head. I don't think that I could have experienced these results without the help of a very attentive teacher who correctly understands posture and with whom I study several times a week, as, without his attention to detail and regular adjustment, I would probably never discover the mistake on my own--after all, it has been my deeply ingrained habit for years to hold my body in this way, almost certainly inhibiting the ability of qi-blood to nourish the eyes.

Certainly. Qi can directly increase circulation if you put it in you're eyes, but you can't do this all day or you burn out the yin. It's more this better posture that improves eyesight and health in general. If i practice lots good posture just comes, slouching becomes as much an effort as holding myself straight when my chi is weak. Qigong sets up the body so that healing can occur. Practice tai chi 10000 times then when somebody punches your head you grab their fist and rip it off. The two things seem unrelated but thats how chinese things work :P

I doubt it and my chi is flowing through my body without much effort, and I have been wearing glasses for over 20 years.  I think Chi only works with the celluar levels.  It can not repair physical deformity.

Edited by ChiForce

I doubt it and my chi is flowing through my body without much effort, and I have been wearing glasses for over 20 years.  I think Chi only works with the celluar levels.  It can not repair physical deformity.

MMmmm not repair physical deformity on it's own, it needs certain exercises and massage too. There are exercises to do that can improve eyesight that have worked for lots of people.

But chi can make somebody asymptomatic for physical problems that still exist.

Got new glasses a couple of weeks back. 0.5 degree improvement in one eye, 0.25 in the other. Seems that what I experienced over the last 20-odd months had a cumulative effect.

Not everybody says so ... See http://www.qigongchinesehealth.com/sight_improving_qigong

Note I have not tried so I do not know...

I wonder why it does not work for you. How do you know that chi flows everywhere?

Quote from that site:

She was suffering badly, but never gave up hope.  In 1957, she started learning Tai Chi Chuan from Zou Shu Xian, a famous Tai Chi master and in about 3 months, she got rid of almost all of her health problems.  A good teacher, great commitment and an excellent Qigong foundation that she built up years prior (that obviously was not lost) did a great job.  This inspired her so much that she went back into her old Buddhist practices whilst continuing Taoist practices such as Tai Chi Chuan and Ba Gua Zhang.  One day, after a regular practice, she projected her energy (chi) from her palms towards a little lump that she had for years underneath her eyelid.  Not only did it completely disappear within days, but her short sightedness and astigmatism that followed her for decades were cured as well.  She was so excited that she told everyone she met about it and she started teaching all those interested.

and 

http://www.qigongchinesehealth.com/sight_qigong_testimonials

Born blind...  One day, all of a sudden after I finished my practice, I had difficulties opening my eyes.  I felt as if there were hundreds of lights shining at me from all sides.  It was hard to bare.  After quite a while, I gradually got used to the brightness surrounding me as I slowly opened my eyes.  For the first time in my life, I saw the blue sky, green trees.  It was unforgettable. 

Ct

• Like 2

I am 46 and recently had an interesting experience regarding eyesight and practice.

I just finished the Wang Li Ping intensive 10 day retreat in Los Angeles.

Each day, after third session, I would take my one meal at a great Ph'o restaurant near the hotel.  I would sit and read while I waited for my food and for a bit after eating, while waiting for tree practice.

One evening around day 7 as my meal arrived and I set my book down, I realized that for a few days I hadn't even thought about my reading glasses, didn't know where they were in fact. 

A year ago or so, my eyes shifted to blurry, and it literally happened overnight.  I read to my son before bed every night.  One night, I opened the book we were reading to find that I could not bring the words in focus, no matter how I tried and I've worn mild reading glasses since then, for anything up close, until now.  It's been a couple weeks now since the retreat ended and the field we were occupying dissipated, but my eyes still focus well.

I suspect it's a bi-product of the intense field created by Master Wang and the group and may not be permanent, but so far, no glasses needed to read.  

I'll post up again, if/when it changes.

• Like 2

A friend who was diagnosed with macular degeneration to the point of having the shots in his eye :o.... says he did a set of qigong exercises for the eyes for two months and his eye doc now says he can't tell my friend ever had AMD! That is just so cool!

(It wasn't a Spring Forest or Mantak Chia method. If I find a vid, I'll post it :) )

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cheya said:

A friend who was diagnosed with macular degeneration to the point of having the shots in his eye :o.... says he did a set of qigong exercises for the eyes for two months and his eye doc now says he can't tell my friend ever had AMD! That is just so cool!

(It wasn't a Spring Forest or Mantak Chia method. If I find a vid, I'll post it :) )

Supremely interested to learn more.

• Like 1

:o the immaculate degenerates!  as my buddy's mom called it :lol:

I remember Lin telling me about having done things that improved his eyesight, but it was a bit of effort to keep up and ultimately not worth the effort to maintain, glasses just easier.  like the bic vs... :ph34r:      ( :lol:  )

Edited by joeblast

If glasses fix the problem, choosing the glasses is a convenient and workable crutch. With Macular Degeneration, glasses don't fix the problem. People go blind... at least to the point they lose central vision and can no longer read, drive, or recognize faces. Tragic!  Avoiding that outcome is really good motivation to do some eye exercises. (These ones seem more like gentle massage around the eyes, concentrating on acupoints)

Edited by cheya
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, cheya said:

A friend who was diagnosed with macular degeneration

Yeah do post it.

My eyesight has worsened over the years, but I notice that some days it is very good.  It seems to be something to do with wood element blockages on the right hand side and when they are clean, it's all fine.

It is not clear why eyesight or anything else deteriorates, no matter what the western money medicine doctor says.

I also refusing glasses because without any effort your eyesight is basically on a ramp downwards, so it makes sense to strongly try other options from nutrition to ... whatever.

Getting you onto the crutch ramp is a favourite for the Western doctors, just leverage people onto the conveyor belt.

But then again many Western people are simply declining and the environment and vision of reality of human society is harmful, and a total negative brainwashing.

So a strong upward thrust of spiritual vision and practices is necessary to repel a negative environment.

Chi could probably repair everything if you were sufficiently advances, however there are many other things to do.

I do more and more Zhan Zhuang because for me it is a natural (effortless surrendering) practice which will heal all ... rather than the type of practices that try to artificially boost energy and must be endlessly topped up..

Anyway as far as I am concerned there ain't much else to do on this planet.

Edited by rideforever
  • Like 2

This isn't qigong, but it's simple, and it did improve my near vision and balance the differences between my two eyes.  Don't get macho with it though.  My neck got kinked the first time I did it, even though it helped my vision.  He says keep your effort at a three, and he means it! Especially the first couple runs through.

• Like 1

TCM doc  got me in the eye sockets  .

I would never have allowed it if I had known .... I thought he was going for the points in the brow, or just under .

The needles did look  rather long, I thought .  he put them in below the brow and below the eye socket bone, then angled them and pushed them all the way into my eye sockets, 3 in each, above the eyeball (the inside top of my eyeball could feel the shaft of the needle ! ) and into the back of my eye socket . Holy sheeet !

Freakiest acu I ever had !   Afterwards ; clear vision and  baby clear pure white eyeballs  !  Glowing !

I dont see why QiGong would NOT improve the eyes ; exercise , blood flow, chi circulation.

I was also taught in Aikido that when you 'extend chi' let it beam  forth from your eyes . This helps as well .

You can also tell when people are 'beaming chi' out of their eyes  ... their eyes then look so different .

• Like 2

.... sometimes , even , when I worked in public hospital as an orderly, I would have to settle down, control , etc   confused violent crazy or drug and alcohol fuelled people .

Sometimes a 'chi beam' look , just with my eyes  would either settle them down a bit , or make them hesitate about their next move .

That , coupled with the look of a friendly helper crossed with a bear that would snap you in two  .... if he felt like it .

• Like 2