turbo

Phoenix, AZ Kunlun Seminar November 17-18

friday i work 'til 7 in tucson...

late night drinks?

haha, i bet that's against the kunlun law or something.

As long as we're playing pattie caking on this post. Why not go to Live Chat. I'll head there now.

Michael

My plan is to go to Max's talk..get some dinner..go home.

Get up early Sat..go to workshop.

The rest is really outside of my control :)

I don't want to make any social plans, myself. I need to figure out the vibe of the scene first and decide whether I want to be in a practice mindset or a social one.

The Max is going to be at Vision Quest bookstore in Scottsdale on Friday the 16th from 7 to 9 pm. I suppose we'll all be there. Lets think about a coffee(?) hook up afterwards.

I'll be staying Friday at the Courtyard Mesa if anyone wants to car pool there.

Michael

Michael

My plane arrives around 6:30 and I'm planning to catch a cab to the metaphysical bookstore. I too am staying at the Courtyard Mesa and would appreciate a ride there, if you have room. I'll be up for whatever after the talk Friday, just not too late.

Looking forward to it!

The Max is going to be at Vision Quest bookstore in Scottsdale on Friday the 16th from 7 to 9 pm. I suppose we'll all be there. Lets think about a coffee(?) hook up afterwards.

Michael

There is a fun restaurant bar literally like across the street from Vison Quest called Sugar Daddy's. We can just go there afterwards if you like. They have pool tables if you guys want to play a game or 2 also.

Cam Rock

No problem Turbo. I've got a van and I'll be heading back there. Thanks for the suggestion Cam.

Michael

There are fun places to go all over that area. But Sugar Daddy's is right across the street and most likely we won't be drinking alcohol.

Or if you guys just want to keep it casual there is a Denny's a couple minutes away also.

I am always down for some pancakes :)

Btw, I just got word that we can't share or subdivide our one-on-ones and that the workshop, itself, can't be audio taped to respect anything that the coparticipants might decide to share... but taping the one on one is fine.

If anyone wants to split a cab from the airport to near the White Crane school, let me know. I am arriving at the airport at 12:30 PM Friday.

I will be staying at the Extended Stay America Phoenix - Mesa Hotel - which is just south of the school and the other hotel, Courtyard Phoenix Mesa, about a mile away. These are all about 10 miles away from the airport, so would be an approximately $30 cab fare.

So I'm pretty stoked about PHOENIX!!!! I'm leaving first thing manana and will hang out with the family until the program starts. I can't seem to find my Yoda shirt... but oh well. I've grown a goatee, so I don't look like my avatar at all any more. Hope to see y'all there!

On a social front, I had a fantastic time and I don't think I've laughed as much in my whole life as I did this weekend. It was a great honor to see Cam, Turbo, Thelerner, Vortex, and my non-TB pals, Eric and Matt all at the same time... we had some fun adventures! Also, it was fun to see that Max got a kick out of having Taobums at his seminar and we all got to take a group photo!

Aside from Michael, I seemed to prefer to use our avatar names and pretend we were all a bunch of superheroes! :lol: I'm stoked that my TB pals got along so well with Eric and Matt too. A great time was had by all!!

Max even said that if we ever want to do an exclusive Taobum retreat in a natural setting, he'd be happy to do something like that. That's probably not on the agenda immediately, but I think that could be a real possibility. Matt has a bunch of acres of woods outside of Athens, GA which would be perfect for that sort of thing. Maybe I'll buy the land next door and expand the empire some day!! I know Michael has said he'd be interested in that sort of thing and Sean and Leslie are in driving distance... Just wanted to put that thought out there!

Yeah, it was a great time. It was fun meet and spend time with some of the folks I know only through their "superhero" names. The practices/techniques taught were just awesome. Well worth the time, money, and traveling that it took. Two thumbs up.

Yeah, it was a great time. It was fun meet and spend time with some of the folks I know only through their "superhero" names.

I just hope you weren't running around in your underwear with towels around your necks. I have four brothers - I know the deal. :lol:

Anything related to the seminar is fair game (aside from discussing actual practices). The desert night trip (and all info) was just for you homeys.

We had a great time with the Bums de Tao.

Peace out!

I just hope you weren't running around in your underwear with towels around your necks. I have four brothers - I know the deal. :lol:

Reminds me of the TICK cartoon... SPOOOOOOON!

So I'm very excited to finally deliver the Yoda Report!!

The first insight was about Max himself. I figured that there was so much antagonism about him on the forum that there must be some sort of personality shortcoming. Maybe he was too aggressive or something. Quite the contrary... he is a mix between the bodhisattva aspect of Mr. Rogers and the crazy aspect of Willy Wonka and is very likable and easy to be around.

He rephrased one thought several times which I think captures the spirit of the workshop:

"I know it sucks, but you have to smile."

I thought that was too funny!!!!

The practice is the Taoist counterpart to that of Quakers, Shakers, old time Baptists and charismatic Christians. Watching people speak in tongues, rolling around, and so forth always brings up a mix of strong reactions from me. On the one hand, I admire their openness, ability to have a great time, and to be able to have visions. On the other hand (until I took this class) I was suspicious that the whole phenomenon looks a bit contrived.

For the same reason, I think Kunlun strikes people in different ways. For instance, I brought two friends with me, Eric and Matt, to the seminar. Eric absolutely loved the practice and really took to it but Matt was suspicious about it and decided not to take the class.

As for the actual practice, I was worried that I might be too inhibited to succeed in Kunlun, and there I was sitting perfectly still next to Eric who was rocking out. In the big picture, I was fine to just get the transmission and go home and fire it up at a later date like Mantra did. But happily, Mantra adjusted my posture a bit and it fired up nicely!! Yay!!

Max covered 5 Element standing, Kunlun, Red Phoenix, and Gold Flower as the main practices. They were all very interesting to say the least!!

A funny story about Kunlun energy was that after the workshop Matt, Cam, and I were grocery shopping for a dinner party we were going to put together for my Dad and my Stepmom. As Matt hadn't gone to the workshop, he was the sanest guy of us and he did his best to keep Cam and me to conform to social norms. But when we got to the checkout, I realized that I could save a few bucks if I had a Bashes frequent customer card. Almost before I realized what I was doing, exactly as the cashier turned her head away from me I reached over to her new card stash and grabbed one and smiled at Matt. He was pretty surprised and asked too loudly where on earth I got a card from. It took all my willpower not to burst out laughing and confess my crime! :lol: But I figured that those cards are silly anyways and couldn't have cost more than a few grapes, and we were making a large purchase so I didn't worry myself about it. That little prank felt very Kunlun to me, as the move was spontaneous.

One thing I learned is that it's okay to encourage someone to read the Kunlun book but not to teach the form yourself. The reason for that is that the transmission travels differently through the two mediums and getting it directly from the book is better and safer than getting it from a student who doesn't have the complete, teacher level transmission.

Fortunately, Mantra says that the new book will be out in two months that will cover FAQ, 5 Elements Standing, and Kunlun.

Thank you for this informative (and funny, had to chuckle a few times lol) report.

I cant wait till Max arrives in Europe :P and until the new book comes out.

You had a private session Yoda ?

Kind regards, Mike