stefos

Why would you want to raise Kundalini?

I will say that "Raising" one's Kundalini through instructions in ANY book is wrong.

Like Krishnamurti said, If you are selfish in any way then you do an Infinite harm.

Why do you want to "raise the Kundalini?" Answer that honestly.

A real Guru will test you deeply on these matters.

Gurus who REALLY know how "do the Kundalini thing" don't explain it to you via a book.

You NEED the Guru not reading a book about "sucking up mercury through the urethra" as if the book

explicitly shows you the particulars in this practice.

Swami Satyananda said many times that Gurus in the past and today test people before serious things

like this.

End of discussion.

Edited by stefos

why in the hell anyone would want to suck anything inside their male parts is beyond me

whoever does that will undoubtedly find themselves in a hospital soon enough

Hi,

This is the point I'm trying to make here!

Reading a book about transcendental/metaphysical realities is NOT where its at!

Without a REAL guru who's understood this deep stuff AND who explains it properly you have mild to wild speculations. Swami Sivananda didn't write this to kill people....believe it.

No one here can say they honestly want to awaken Kundalini to be selfless & serve humanity......No, people are on power trips called Siddhis.

From Christianity to Advaita Vedanta to Buddhism, transcendent reality is for ALL and the founder/expositors of each major religion that I've stated said basically "Be without the self."

That encapsulates what I've been saying here all along.

Be blessed,

Stefos

Edited by stefos

Please refrain from using things i say to further your own argument. Thanks.

Sure thing.

What do you think about what I've posted?

I'm eager to read your take.

Thanks

I suppose the "Crown jewel" of this topic is this:

Why do you want to raise the Kundalini?

For Power or Selflessness?

Very simple........."Spiritual" excuses are just that, selfish desires lightly veiled over with spiritual verbiage.

Utterly meaningless in a world where we are at a Nuclear crisis....Don't forget folks.

Stefos

people look everywhere for "that"; sometimes just like a historic Buddha we hear about did and who upon finding "that" and afterwards along with the help of a gods reminder could then no longer continue being just a lone and "selfish" forest dweller...

Edited by 3bob

I was wondering how this "new" thread started! LOL

Great!

So, No one here so far can honestly say "I want to be completely selfless and serve others out of altruistic love" as the answer as to WHY? they want to "raise their Kundalini!"

There we have it.

So the issue becomes this: Work on being selfless and not selfish saying "I want to raise my Kundalini"

Blessings upon all who read this,

Stefos

Edited by stefos
  • Like 1

I wanted to raise mine for selfish reasons mainly. What's so wrong with being selfish? Its an adaptive strategy. Did not Shiva have many a selfish times? Its the cosmic dance...

• Like 1

I was wondering how this "new" thread started! LOL

Great!

So, No one here so far can honestly say "I want to be completely selfless and serve others out of altruistic love" as the answer as to WHY? they want to "raise their Kundalini!"

There we have it.

So the issue becomes this: Work on being selfless and not selfish saying "I want to raise my Kundalini"

Blessings upon all who read this,

Stefos

i didn't read too many of these posts, and i'm probably going to regret commenting, but...

what does "selflessness" have to do with the raising of kundalini? because it's something that J. Krishnamurti said?

???

that doesn't even make sense! it's empirically disproved by just about EVERY person who has ever risen their kundalini.

in a non-dual reality where GOD ALONE exists, do terms like "selfish" or "selfless" even have any meaning?

my highest aspiration has never been to "selflessly serve," as you put it. my spiritual life has been driven almost solely by the desire to know GOD/TRUTH via direct experience.

you seem to attribute an importance to our species that i do not. i think it's quite acceptable for us to destroy ourselves entirely, if that is to happen, and i don't think the universe will care any more about the extinction of our species than we care when black ants and red ants commit genocide.

to quote my favorite fiction book of last year, at the end of the day, we're all just "barnacles on the container ship of consciousness." :)

my natural drive is exploration, discovery, and the search for Truth. it's been that way my whole life. given where it has taken me, you'd be hard pressed to convince me (or any other yogi or taoist who has turned away from the world for the same reasons) that i'm wrong to go with this natural inclination.

now, some people ARE driven to serve others or the planet the same way that i'm driven to know and understand. their path is gonna look different from mine. but neither path is wrong. it feels so obvious and intuitive that it shouldn't even need to be stated.

• Like 3

Actually, in some sense, Bhakti Yoga (complete surrender in devotion to knowing God) engenders the dissolution of the small self in the service of God Consciousness. Many Indian saints and yogis profess to serve humanity thru that intimate connection with the Divine source.

Not saying everyone has to follow this way.. but from my understanding, without Bhakti, the raising of Kundalini would be fraught with problems.

• Like 2

Actually, in some sense, Bhakti Yoga (complete surrender in devotion to knowing God) engenders the dissolution of the small self in the service of God Consciousness. Many Indian saints and yogis profess to serve humanity thru that intimate connection with the Divine source.

Not saying everyone has to follow this way.. but from my understanding, without Bhakti, the raising of Kundalini would be fraught with problems.

eh, that muddies the waters a little too much for me. Bhakti Yoga is about intense love, devotion, and worship of a specific diety. that's not the "desire to know GOD/TRUTH via direct experience" that i was talking about. Bhakti Yoga is a practice; what i'm talking about is a disposition. the language may be similar, but they are very different things.

i agree with you that Bhakti Yoga has that quality, but that's just not what i was talking about. surrender, selflessness*, and service might happen as by-products of my desire to know and experience TRUTH/GOD, but they are by-products and not my purpose.

Edited by Hundun
  • Like 1

this is one take on the vitality of Bhakti Yoga in relation to knowing God.

• Like 2

Bhakti Yoga can help get all the emotional and other motivational energies flowing in the same direction of God/Truth realisation. Even though it may focus on a deity that deity is just a humanised aspect of the divine or emptiness as a means to enable practice to get the energies moving in that direction. For example many people perform devotional practice towards the hugging Saint Amma, but unless they are confused what they are really devoted towards is the "Divine Mother" quality or aspect of emptiness/God/truth not the human form of Amma.

Even with Sages like Nisargadatta Maharaj even though he had a very direct one pointed focus on the "I Am" and realising the truth directly his Guru also told him that it was important for him to sing devotional bhajans every day. I think it is basically all about getting all the different parts of you and all of your energies moving in the same direction, then those energies are more likely to be in tune with or at least not in conflict with the kundalini.

As far as I can see many of the major religious figures and Saints combined both the qualities of relentless enquiry into the truth of things as well as a devotional aspect, they can compliment quite well as long as there is some clarity arising about what is is you are worshipping so you don't get stuck on the forms. After a time of Bhakti Yoga if it matures it is possible to see that divine quality of the deity in everything, so instead of worshipping the deity directly you can serve it by serving or appreciating the world.

Edited by Jetsun
  • Like 4

Besides - all willful acts are selfish acts. Even desire to merge with Godhead, help humanity, etc. You aim to change things in any way, whether it be your 'self' or the world, it is self ish, where the prefix 'ish' denotes 'belonging to.'

I wanted to raise mine for selfish reasons mainly. What's so wrong with being selfish? Its an adaptive strategy. Did not Shiva have many a selfish times? Its the cosmic dance...

Shiva? What about Kali? :) If anything, she is anything but the ego, the self. Hehehehehe :)

I occasionally make a foray into the Buddhist sub-forum which is somewhat dubious on my part... I also find it can be somewhat dubious when Buddhists make an occasional foray into the Hindu sub-forum... having said that I have no desire to control the forays of anyone going anywhere - although I do find it somewhat presumptuous if Buddhists related meanings to "emptiness" are bandied about here... just as Buddhists must find it somewhat presumptuous if Hindu related meanings to "eternal" are bandied about in their sub-forum...but what the hell as long as we shoot for "Right Speech"...

Edited by 3bob

Shiva? What about Kali? :) If anything, she is anything but the ego, the self. Hehehehehe :)

This quote from Wikipedia:

300px-Ashta-Matrika.jpg
The Goddess Ambika Leading the Eight Matrikas in Battle Against the Demon Raktabija, Folio from a Devi Mahatmya - (top row, from the left) the Matrikas - Narasimhi, Vaishnavi, Kumari, Maheshvari, Brahmi. (bottom row, from left) Varahi, Aindri, Chamunda or Kali (drinking the demon's blood), Ambika. on the right, demons arising from Raktabiīa's blood

In Kāli's most famous legend, Devi Durga (Adi Parashakti) and her assistants, the Matrikas, wound the demon Raktabija, in various ways and with a variety of weapons in an attempt to destroy him. They soon find that they have worsened the situation for with every drop of blood that is dripped from Raktabija he reproduces a clone of himself. The battlefield becomes increasingly filled with his duplicates.[20] Durga, in need of help, summons Kāli to combat the demons. It is said, in some versions, that Goddess Durga actually assumes the form of Goddess Kāli at this time. The Devi Mahatmyam describes:

Out of the surface of her (Durga's) forehead, fierce with frown, issued suddenly Kali of terrible countenance, armed with a sword and noose. Bearing the strange khatvanga (skull-topped staff ), decorated with a garland of skulls, clad in a tiger's skin, very appalling owing to her emaciated flesh, with gaping mouth, fearful with her tongue lolling out, having deep reddish eyes, filling the regions of the sky with her roars, falling upon impetuously and slaughtering the great asuras in that army, she devoured those hordes of the foes of the devas.[21]

Kali destroys Raktabija by sucking the blood from his body and putting the many Raktabija duplicates in her gaping mouth. Pleased with her victory, Kali then dances on the field of battle, stepping on the corpses of the slain.[22] In the Devi Mahatmya version of this story, Kali is also described as a Matrika and as a Shakti or power of Devi. She is given the epithet Cāṃuṇḍā (Chamunda), i.e. the slayer of the demons Chanda and Munda.[23]Chamunda is very often identified with Kali and is very much like her in appearance and habit.[24]

-So could an egoless being do a victory dance?

;)

I've read enough about the Hindu pantheon to note that they are all given personalities...however, that could just be anthropomorphism.....

Spirit (gives) unto Spirit, and in such giving is a command although not a heavy handed or forced command but an inherent and lawful action, thus forget about any stuff that is associated with attempted ego manipulation of kundalini, which is akin to attempted ego manipulation of pure Spirit - for it just doesn't work that way.