Sign in to follow this  
3bob

3 reasons why enlightenment sucks

Jiang Ziya lived near the Weishui River about 3,000 years ago. The area was the feudal estate of Count Ji Chang. Jiang Ziya knew Ji Chang was very ambitious so he hoped to get Ji's attention.

He often went fishing at the Weishui River, but he would fish in an unusual way. He hung a straight fishhook, without bait, three feet above the water. He often said to himself, "Fish, if you don't want to live any more, come and swallow the hook yourself."

Soon his strange way of fishing was reported to Ji Chang. Ji sent a soldier to fetch him. Jiang saw the soldier coming, but ignored him. Jiang just went on with his fishing, and was saying to himself, "Fishing, fishing, no fish has been hooked. A shrimp is up to mischief." The soldier reported this back to Ji Chang, who became more interested in Jiang.

Ji sent an official to invite Jiang this time. But Jiang again ignored the invitation. He just carried on fishing, and was saying, "Fishing, fishing, the big fish has not been hooked. A small one is up to mischief."

Then Ji Chang realized Jiang may be a great talent so he went to invite Jiang himself and brought many generous gifts with him. Jiang saw his sincere desire so decided to work for him.

Jiang helped Ji Chang and his son turn over the Shang Dynasty and establish the Zhou Dynasty. Jiang was given the title of Taigong so people called him Jiang Taigong.

In this idiom, Diaoyu means "fishing," Yuanzhe means "a person willing to" and Shanggou means get hooked. Today, people use this old idiom to describe someone who willingly falls in a trap or does something regardless of the result. For example, if someone sells something at a price of 10 times its real value, and he does not care if it can be sold, his situation could be described with this idiom.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

We just call it 'trolling' :)

Adepts are good at trolling?

I supposed they are to do things without ulterior intent

Ji Chang clearly made the right decision, his association benefitted him greatly.

Even if he is the fish who took the straight hook

Jiang though had intent , and therefore I cant say if he is adept or an adept.

since he used the means of an adept , with purpose, but actually was an adept for Ji Changs purpose.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Jiang Ziya may have had what Margaret Thatcher notoriously described as...

" Enlightened self-interest."

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP

The op title was partly for fun although the serious replies to the topic are fine with me... Anyway I was stirring the pot a little on an often heavy-duty subject which imo could sometimes use some lightening up... ;)

• Like 1

I figured it was more tongue in cheek than anything else :). (in case anyone couldn't tell from my first comment...)

1. I would miss TTBs

2. I would know better

3. No more squishing mosquitos

Edited by BaguaKicksAss

The op title was partly for fun although the serious replies to the topic are fine with me... Anyway I was stirring the pot a little on an often heavy-duty subject which imo could sometimes use some lightening up... ;)

yeah. but a serious consideration should be taken. a person can spend many many years trying to attain enlightenment, but then they could still have no trade or skills

well apparently the enlightened being doesn't have problems with harmful insects. Lao Tzu says it also. Something to do with vibes, but also insects are attracted to the purity of enlightened being's blood...

• Like 1

yeah. but a serious consideration should be taken. a person can spend many many years trying to attain enlightenment, but then they could still have no trade or skills

My definition of an "enlightened" person, includes being able to take care of them-self... :)

• Like 1

1. Vast loniness

2. Sadness followed by bliss

3. Ending up with more questions than answers.

and the jumbo 4th hidden reason......Doritos still cost the same!!!!

• Like 1

My definition of an "enlightened" person, includes being able to take care of them-self... :)

Well certainly, they become "independent." At least, they say that of most. But still, beyond food and basic necessities, their worldly position could be limited having no skills. Most probably can't imagine the idea of supporting a family

On the other hand, take a singer or musician, they work everyday to become a great artist, but they are also doing inner work.

all and all,

i'm just criticizing those who devote their life to meditation to reach enlightenment, like myself.

Well certainly, they become "independent." At least, they say that of most. But still, beyond food and basic necessities, their worldly position could be limited having no skills. Most probably can't imagine the idea of supporting a family

On the other hand, take a singer or musician, they work everyday to become a great artist, but they are also doing inner work.

all and all,

i'm just criticizing those who devote their life to meditation to reach enlightenment, like myself.

Life is to be lived... Every moment can be focused on whatever you are doing.

IMHO, one does not even learn the meaning of the word "love" until you have had children. :)

• Like 1

Funny that you mentioned this. Those who actually spend time cultivating towards enlightenment actually does good in the world. Their trade is that they give out positive vibes and dedicate their merit and virtue to others.

nice post. Yes, now that i recall i have heard some teachers say reaching enlightenment is doing a great deed for the universe. makes sense

Life is to be lived... Every moment can be focused on whatever you are doing. IMHO, one does not even learn the meaning of the word "love" until you have had children. :)

or aggravation :)

• Like 1

well apparently the enlightened being doesn't have problems with harmful insects. Lao Tzu says it also. Something to do with vibes, but also insects are attracted to the purity of enlightened being's blood...

Again, confirmation that I'm truly enlightened.... especially when I'm out hiking :D.

Is that a Koan??? By virtue of being enlightened, you posses 5 transcendental wisdoms (prajnaparamita). The first one is speech and verse mastery. The second one is literary mastery. Don't remember the other 3. Also, because your mind has been submersed into the samadhi, you have already developed certain superpowers or paranormal powers. What are trades or skills that an enlightened being couldn't master, in a short time???? :) Once you can create forms out of nothingness, out of the void, the entire world, the entire Samsara, IS actually an illusion. An illusion you can actually banish in a single thought with a diamond sharp dharma wisdom.

Edited by ChiForce
  • Like 1

Is that a Koan??? By virtue of being enlightened, you posses 5 transcendental wisdoms (prajnaparamita). The first one is speech and verse mastery. The second one is literary mastery. Don't remember the other 3. Also, because your mind has been submersed into the samadhi, you have already developed certain superpowers or paranormal powers. What are trades or skills that an enlightened being couldn't master, in a short time???? :) Once you can create forms out of nothingness, out of the void, the entire world, the entire Samsara, IS actually an illusion. An illusion you can actually banish in a single thought with a diamond sharp dharma wisdom.

It would be nice if you try to resist painting enlightenment as some super-state of being.

It would be nice if you try to resist painting enlightenment as some super-state of being.

But it is....especially when your mind have reached to the second level of jhana. Clairvoyance, telepathy, precognition, remote healing, and etc....just to name few trades one may possess as an enlightened being.

• Like 1

But it is....especially when your mind have reached to the second level of jhana. Clairvoyance, telepathy, precognition, remote healing, and etc....just to name few trades one may possess as an enlightened being.

Those come about a loooong time before enlightenment :).

I've met a few folks I figure are enlightened, or at least a good deal of the way there. The one guy can't even learn English faster than the average person! The other one had to go to school to learn his mundane trade like the rest of us.

That super memory superpower though, I'd be sooo on board for that one :D.

• Like 1

Squish in good health just remember to say or think the polite bidding as you squish....

" Become a Buddha".

• Like 2

So what about the third and fourth dhyana?

Many sources I read didn't mention much because by that time, you are on the way to your final liberation. Even then, your superpowers become impermanent. This isn't saying that you don't develop superpowers. One shouldn't dismiss the ideas of possessing superpowers just because in your final liberation, all phenomena are impermanent and so as your superpowers. Most people don't have superpowers not because they are liberated. It is because they haven't even experienced the first level of jhana....Hahahahah.....

• Like 1

Those come about a loooong time before enlightenment :).

I've met a few folks I figure are enlightened, or at least a good deal of the way there. The one guy can't even learn English faster than the average person! The other one had to go to school to learn his mundane trade like the rest of us.

That super memory superpower though, I'd be sooo on board for that one :D.

Hmm...that's odd.... :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this