TaoMaster

What exactly is the mind and where is it located ?

I am the space and reality is my mind. I often think differently, though ;)

Well, do you sometimes make up your mind?

• Like 2

what exactly is nonpsychological open awareness? I get open awareness it is the non psychological kind I fail to understand

• Like 2

I'll take definitions for 800, alex

( lowercase ) Psychology, Psychoanalysis . the mental or psychological structure of a person, especially as a motive force.

:D

That theres nerves in the gut , fine , that the brain interacts with body ,, fine

That one visualizes three energy centers as having physical locations ,,fine

That one sees mind associated with energy centers , fine

But if yall are saying you really believe that the nerves of your intestines are where your mind resides ..

y'all are mixing 'philosophical' constructs into a melange.

I quoted JAJ before on this, so I didn't want to really repeat it.

http://thetaobums.com/topic/32223-what-exactly-is-a-dan-tien/?p=490811

Dr. Yang talks a lot about this too...

It's not about a philosophical construct... it is an energetic reality that those in energy arts have known for a long time.

It seems I have lost my mind. Can't find it anywhere.

This could be a good thing...If, as others have stated, we do not own mind, then you cannot actually lose what you do not have.

In Vedanta, they say that the little minds (waves), and their associated egos, are like little thoughts of God in That Mind. Whereas we have our own little thought constructs/archetypes/etc. God has His/Hers/Its and we are the expressions of that One. I am a thought construct in the Mind of God? Possible... :)

Edit/Addendum:

This would actually gel with holism theory, Russian nested dolls, etc. in that just as our thought constructs can take on life of their own (ARE alive in fact...DO exist), so do we in God's Mind.

A thought, once born, can never die? Don't think bad thoughts or create evil demons then! Unless you want to....but although they cannot die, they can change because it be like dat.

Edited by Songtsan
  • Like 1

This could be a good thing...If, ...

Chuang Tzu spoke to ownership and his basic bottom line was that we don't even own ourself, how could we own anything else.

No, we don't own our mind. It does whatever it wants to do. But we can sometimes direct where it goes.

Our thoughts though, are just thoughts unless manifested. Like something I was going to say but never said. They were there as thoughts but were never manifested.

My personal belief is that our mind dies when our body dies. But we each have our own beliefs. That's good.

But sure, clarity of mind will help us through our life. Might even earn us a little money. Hehehe.

• Like 1

No, we don't own our mind. It does whatever it wants to do. But we can sometimes direct where it goes.

This is what fucks with me.

The mind already knows what it is going to do before our conscience knows...

But then I sit down to meditate and find that there is me, AND the thoughts.

Or is that "me" and illusion? Just powered by the thoughts, thinking I'm in control?

Hmmmm.

Edited by Rara

As a person, I own my mind and body. I cultivate my mind to have a better character and more intelligent. In addition, I cultivate my body to be a healthier person.

• Like 2

People always try to figure out how everything is. This "everything is" is a collapse of infinite possibilities into just one. But because all such collapsed states are questionable precisely because of other possibilities, there is no calm, no rest in looking for how everything is. There isn't any single way in which everything abides.

Instead you are left with possibilities. To take one of these possibilities and rest in it fully without denying other possibilities is one way to exercise one's freedom. This way you can, for example, go west without hesitation, even though the entire time you go west you know you could have been going east or south or up. To make a choice while understanding other choices are just as valid, to be certain of that choice without demanding a collapse of possibilities, it is to become at ease with one's subjectivity.

• Like 2

This is what fucks with me.

But then I sit down to meditate and find that there is me, AND the thoughts.

Or is that "me" and illusion? Just powered by the thoughts, thinking I'm in control?

Hmmmm.

I hear you. This is about all the further I have gone with that thought. And still, the fish need be fed and the gardens watered.

• Like 1

As a person, I own my mind and body. I cultivate my mind to have a better character and more intelligent. In addition, I cultivate my body to be a healthier person.

Talk about "me" being a Materialist!!! Hehehe.

Chuang Tzu spoke to ownership and his basic bottom line was that we don't even own ourself, how could we own anything else.

Our thoughts though, are just thoughts unless manifested. Like something I was going to say but never said. They were there as thoughts but were never manifested.

My personal belief is that our mind dies when our body dies. But we each have our own beliefs. That's good.

But sure, clarity of mind will help us through our life. Might even earn us a little money. Hehehe.

Mind is a distinct player in the field of awareness. A smart fellow becomes like a General, directing his forces (of which mind is one) to his best advantage for the overarching goal. To treat mind as a pest, in an insouciant manner, is like letting a crazy person run around in your house, saying, "Oh, that's just mind....don't worry about him - he just does what he does..." as he knocks over table lamps and leaves the refrigerator door open. I am working on assuming the reins and shaping what actions my mind monkeys take. They are the Djinn that Solomon used to build his temple. Be forewarned though, that by recognizing and investing in these allies, you walk the razor's edge, for they will have their own desires...it's a smoky room to play in...learn to see with clear eyes, or you may become confused as to who is in charge.

EDIT: I am reading The Secret of the Golden Flower right now...thus the 'General' metaphor...

Edited by Songtsan
  • Like 1

whats the difference between the mind as you describe it and our conscious ?

is the mind conscious?

can you describe with more details ? :)

Edited by TaoMaster

interesting references to the locations . brain, around the whole body , stomach area, an illusion of sorts. etc.

its actually where ever you consider it to be and even non existsant if you consider that too

if you consider it , it exists. if you dont it doesnt :)

interesting references to the locations . brain, around the whole body , stomach area, an illusion of sorts. etc.

its actually where ever you consider it to be and even non existsant if you consider that too

if you consider it , it exists. if you dont it doesnt :)

That's not completely true because if confidence made any viewpoint into something solid, there'd be no way to switch away from that viewpoint to some other viewpoint. Because we can always eventually switch viewpoints, even if we are extremely committed for a time, that means no viewpoint ever becomes 100% true.

Maybe there really is no mind?

:)

Well, do you sometimes make up your mind?

yes as a matter of fact or make up a mind in other words

:lol: thx for your comment , i like it

This could be a good thing...If, as others have stated, we do not own mind, then you cannot actually lose what you do not have.

Asked my son where his mind was...

No where... everywhere... depends.

children are yang ,, they come first, adults are yin they come last . You can get much truth from asking children questions like this. They havnt been " programed " yet, also known as brainwashed, hynotized , falsely educated etc. Children are my favorite people. I have 2

"a child is born with a heart of gold + but the way of the world makes their heart grow cold -"

earth, wind and fire

Just watched a program about the subconscious mind and it seems it plays a much more important role in our life than most are aware of.

wow there seem to be so many different kinds of minds . criminal mind, reactive mind, analitcial mind, dirty mind, conscious mind, subconscious mind, role playing mind, etc etc, probally more that i havent mentioned. open mind, closed mind. creative mind.

That's not completely true because if confidence made any viewpoint into something solid, there'd be no way to switch away from that viewpoint to some other viewpoint. Because we can always eventually switch viewpoints, even if we are extremely committed for a time, that means no viewpoint ever becomes 100% true.

That is similar to the discussion I and (was it Steve?) were having about a shadow. It is real only if we believe it to be so. Take away the light and there is no shadow. Take away the brain and there is no mind.

• Like 1

Mind is located in the infinite balance of yin and yang.

(I dunno, did that help?)

Actually, that helps a lot. There is no infinite balance of yin and yang - that is, not outside of Oneness. And if all thing are One then no-thing exists except for One.

• Like 1

yes as a matter of fact or make up a mind in other words

:lol: thx for your comment , i like it

One point to you for catching that.

Actually, that helps a lot. There is no infinite balance of yin and yang - that is, not outside of Oneness. And if all thing are One then no-thing exists except for One.

Yes, I think you got what I was getting at. The mind is a product of the constant balancing fluxes of yin and yang. The ultimate source of this is Oneness.

Take away the light and there is no shadow.

Take away light, and there is darkness. A shadow is a form of darkness. Darkness itself is non-finding of light (and vice versa, light is non-finding of darkness). So you can only experience darkness if you know what light is like.

The brain is not where the mind is located.

Edited by goldisheavy
  • Like 1