Sign in to follow this  
steve

FIFA World Cup 2014

Portugal were hopeless despite having list of skillful players BUT that first penalty was not a penalty and Mueller got Pepe deliberately sent off which is bad sportsmanship. Sorry but I was disgusted. Also disgusted by Ronaldo and Nani by the way.

Yes, that's what everyone in Britain seems to believe, if the comments sections of the Guardian and Mail are an indicator.

The penalty was the ref's call and it wasn't an easy one. It could have gone the other way.

But, Müller laid down after getting hit - hard - the face, and was just getting back up when Pepe came over and head-butted him. Even if it was only a kind of warning bop on the bean, you don't do that. Period. To a man sitting on the pitch, five meters in front of the ref. It probably could have amounted to nothing, and, who knows, maybe even yellow for Müller? But the red card was Pepe's own fault. It's not like he's immune to the things.

Regardless, Germany was clearly the better-prepared team. Portugal were a mess from the start and German players did well at every position. I suspect they're going to go far, again. I'll have to work it out and see when they can meet Italy.

Italy is to Germany what Germany is to England ;)

Behind the scenes player of the match: Boateng. Ronaldo wasn't necessarily having a bad day; he was neutralized.

Yes, that's what everyone in Britain seems to believe, if the comments sections of the Guardian and Mail are an indicator.

The penalty was the ref's call and it wasn't an easy one. It could have gone the other way.

But, Müller laid down after getting hit - hard - the face, and was just getting back up when Pepe came over and head-butted him. Even if it was only a kind of warning bop on the bean, you don't do that. Period. To a man sitting on the pitch, five meters in front of the ref. It probably could have amounted to nothing, and, who knows, maybe even yellow for Müller? But the red card was Pepe's own fault. It's not like he's immune to the things.

Regardless, Germany was clearly the better-prepared team. Portugal were a mess from the start and German players did well at every position. I suspect they're going to go far, again. I'll have to work it out and see when they can meet Italy.

Italy is to Germany what Germany is to England ;)

Behind the scenes player of the match: Boateng. Ronaldo wasn't necessarily having a bad day; he was neutralized.

No doubt Germany were better and deserved the win. Portugal have players with lots of individual skill but are not a team. When they went down to 10 men they were pretty clueless how to react. I still think not just Muller but a couple of German players flopped to the floor at every challenge and Muller definitely did although Pepe was an idiot - any head contact these days is always a red card.

The English are just frustrated at how successful Germany hare at international football while England always under achieve. This year they are weak and so not much pressure to be honest but in previous times they have had quite strong teams but just under achieved like mad.

"These days" being the post-Zidane days? :ph34r:

I still remember watching that faux-pas...

• Like 1

So what happens now with team USA, after the 2-2 game with Portugal? A commentator said that even if they beat Germany on Thursday, they won't be able to advance further...is that true?

I like watching soccer a bit, but don't really pay attention to things like the point system...

The top two teams of each group will advance.

Ghana still needs to play Germany and Portugal... seems their bags are maybe already packed at this point.

The US tie with Portugal is not a bad situation, except that they gave the game away by playing backyard soccer like children in the last minute. Chasing the ball which is called 'bumble bee ball'... pathetic history of US soccer.

Because of Portugal's big goal differential, it may put them at a bigger disadvantage now; Germany really spanked Portugal and some think the Germans won't come out swing as hard against the US as they are likely to advance without trying too hard.

The US should advance with a tie or win over Germany. A loss will likely make goal differential the difference.

• Like 1

So what happens now with team USA, after the 2-2 game with Portugal? A commentator said that even if they beat Germany on Thursday, they won't be able to advance further...is that true?

I like watching soccer a bit, but don't really pay attention to things like the point system...

I was out eating last night and saw the last like...half of the game. Laughed a bit when portugal tied it, that was an amazing setup shot and header...

and then...

WHAT? you're just going to stop fkn playing?!?!?!?! What the hell you mean?

Really, they just end the game and stop playing like that with no resolution to the contest??? :angry:

pffff. another reason not to watch soccer. that was the stupidest thing ever, no wonder they have soccer riots, that bull is like being a kid and having a dream where you're about to get laid and then you wake up. just about cant get any more anti climactic than that. :rolleyes: I dont think there's a greater example of waiting forever for something to maybe happen, well, nope its ok if nothing happens...

I thought games and tournaments are tests of skill to find the better team, but what do I know :P I've watched games of chess that were as interesting. I'm allright with actually playing the sport, but watching it is like watching grass grow, imho :D

Fishing.

Watch a good long show on bass fishing...

:D

• Like 2

Fishing.

Watch a good long show on bass fishing...

:D

That's what I call 'nap-time programming'. Fishing and golf.

I tried to take a nap Saturday while watching Ghana/Germany, but I'm actually really enjoying the world cup games. Even the ones that tie. Mexico/Brazil was probably my favorite so far. That Mexican goalie was like an impenetrable force field in front of the goal!

Ochoa+Gandalf.jpg

• Like 2

I just watched my first soccer match on TV last night - US vs. Portugal. WOW. That is one brutal game! And no protective gear to speak of. I was amazed. Not a sport for wuzzies.

• Like 2

I just watched my first soccer match on TV last night - US vs. Portugal. WOW. That is one brutal game! And no protective gear to speak of. I was amazed. Not a sport for wuzzies.

The US were a well organised team with a good plan and excellent manager Klinsman, Portugal were a bunch of talented individuals with no plan or organisation. The game is not really brutal because you play the ball not the other player but nowadays players like to roll around in supposed agony at the slightest touch while in the old days it was a lot harder but players just carried on. One goal keeper famously played a game (as goal keeper) with what turned out later to be a brocken neck.

I was out eating last night and saw the last like...half of the game. Laughed a bit when portugal tied it, that was an amazing setup shot and header...

and then...

WHAT? you're just going to stop fkn playing?!?!?!?! What the hell you mean?

Really, they just end the game and stop playing like that with no resolution to the contest??? :angry:

pffff. another reason not to watch soccer. that was the stupidest thing ever, no wonder they have soccer riots, that bull is like being a kid and having a dream where you're about to get laid and then you wake up. just about cant get any more anti climactic than that. :rolleyes: I dont think there's a greater example of waiting forever for something to maybe happen, well, nope its ok if nothing happens...

I thought games and tournaments are tests of skill to find the better team, but what do I know :P I've watched games of chess that were as interesting. I'm allright with actually playing the sport, but watching it is like watching grass grow, imho :D

There's also this phenomenon:

• Like 1

The US were a well organised team with a good plan and excellent manager Klinsman, Portugal were a bunch of talented individuals with no plan or organisation. The game is not really brutal because you play the ball not the other player but nowadays players like to roll around in supposed agony at the slightest touch while in the old days it was a lot harder but players just carried on. One goal keeper famously played a game (as goal keeper) with what turned out later to be a brocken neck.

LOL. Now that you mention that, I think I did sense a little over-reaction on the part of a player or two. :ph34r:

LOL. Now that you mention that, I think I did sense a little over-reaction on the part of a player or two. :ph34r:

yeah, it's true, but some people who shall remain nameless (almost the entire population of the USA to start with) don't understand that very often (but admittetdly not always) it only involves calling the ref's attention to a foul that needs to be addressed. As you noticed, it's an extremely rough sport, none of the big three US sports are as dangerous as soccer, and there are terrible injuries in the lower leagues. A guy I work with had his jaw broken in three places recently, by simply going for a header at the same time as an opponent. Broken bones and huge gashes are part of the risk. So, fouls are serious business, and at the professional level, could be career-ending, so it's absolutely crucial to keep them monitiored.

But there are those who abuse it, and try to gain advantage. If and when they're caught faking it, they get a stiff penalty, right up to a red card.

Regarding the tie scores that those who are remaining nameless like to complain about - soccer is a genuine league sport. Teams are not guaranteed and can not buy their way into the top league in the system. There's a complex point system involved and when a team doesn't accumulate the points necessary, it'll dropped into the next lower tier (where the money and prestige are much lower).

Tie scores are worth a point in the total tally over the season. It's just the way it is.

With the WC, the next rounds won't have ties. Each game will be played till there's a clear winner. And the other one is out of the tournament.

• Like 2

yeah, it's true, but some people who shall remain nameless (almost the entire population of the USA to start with) don't understand that very often (but admittetdly not always) it only involves calling the ref's attention to a foul that needs to be addressed. As you noticed, it's an extremely rough sport, none of the big three US sports are as dangerous as soccer, and there are terrible injuries in the lower leagues. A guy I work with had his jaw broken in three places recently, by simply going for a header at the same time as an opponent. Broken bones and huge gashes are part of the risk. So, fouls are serious business, and at the professional level, could be career-ending, so it's absolutely crucial to keep them monitiored.

But there are those who abuse it, and try to gain advantage. If and when they're caught faking it, they get a stiff penalty, right up to a red card.

Regarding the tie scores that those who are remaining nameless like to complain about - soccer is a genuine league sport. Teams are not guaranteed and can not buy their way into the top league in the system. There's a complex point system involved and when a team doesn't accumulate the points necessary, it'll dropped into the next lower tier (where the money and prestige are much lower).

Tie scores are worth a point in the total tally over the season. It's just the way it is.

With the WC, the next rounds won't have ties. Each game will be played till there's a clear winner. And the other one is out of the tournament.

... and some get the opposing player sent off by clutching their face and crying :)

• Like 1

... and some get the opposing player sent off by clutching their face and crying :)

hey, sometimes Thomas eats the bear, sometimes the bear eats Thomas ;)

I wasn't able to view the video cuz it wouldn't download - but I did see where Trautmann was awarded an OBE for working to improve Anglo-German relations. My question to you, Apech, is....how do you think he handled the OBE at the age of 89?

I wasn't able to view the video cuz it wouldn't download - but I did see where Trautmann was awarded an OBE for working to improve Anglo-German relations. My question to you, Apech, is....how do you think he handled the OBE at the age of 89?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Trautmann

He was 81 when he was awarded his OBE and died when 89. I used to live in Manchester and he played for Manchester City ... which is the only team actually in the City of Manchester as despite its name Manchester United are in the neighbouring borough. I imagine he handled his OBE with great dignity.

• Like 1

I'm assuming that's Order of the British Empire rather than Out of Body Experience?

:)

• Like 1

I used to love football.

Took a long break in watching it and when I returned, it was a bit shocking... it's flopball.

So much fishing for set piece, it's really excessive... nonetheless, some of the goals have been pretty.

Hockey has it right on the whole flopping issue.

I'm assuming that's Order of the British Empire rather than Out of Body Experience?

:)

Oh.

So I take it that somehow it's the full accumulation of goals scored that is considered to advance to the next level?

So I take it that somehow it's the full accumulation of goals scored that is considered to advance to the next level?

No its a mini league the first round and then after that knock out. Winning the mini league is based on 3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw.

Sign in to follow this