Sign in to follow this  
steve

FIFA World Cup 2014

So I take it that somehow it's the full accumulation of goals scored that is considered to advance to the next level?

Yes and No. Apech is generally correct that this round has a primary focus on Wins vs Loss... BUT, in the event two teams have the same Wins vs Loss, THEN 'Goal Differential' (GD) is used as a tie breaker.

The top two teams advance from each group.

So, if you were to look at the Group G standings as follows:

COUNTRY = POINTS

Germany = 7

US = 4

Portugal = 4

Ghana = 1

So why did the US advance?

After points, then they look at 'goal differential' and the US = 0 and Portugal = -3.

What if this was equal???

The order of determining the advancing team goes like this... yep... right down to drawing straws :huh:

1. Greatest number of points obtained in all group matches.

2. Goal difference in all group matches.

3. Greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.

4. Greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned.

5. Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned.

6. Greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned.

7. Drawing of lots by the FIFA Organizing Committee.

I see the players have started biting each other.

then the guy who did the biting was complaining that other player( the bitten one) had hurt his teeth,,,

barbaric game i think, except they call it a match, like chess or sth

and the koreans, i mean they had more players than their opponent and they still couldnt win,

not sure what was up with the devil/angel thing ? but angel and devil were both red.

Bleddy World Cup.

Will it never end?

All that's on terrestrial TV main channels tonight is

World Cup Footie.

Poxy Wimbledon

Bleddy Glastonbury Festival.

Sod all else.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Edited by GrandmasterP

so you english still watch the world cup even if your team is no longer in it??

how come all the south american teams get to play each other in the knockout round?

that means some of their teams of course will advance.

edit>> nevermind about watching, i just realized you watch wimbledon all these years without your own in it either.

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

England got knocked out?

There's a surprise.

1966 I think was the last time England won that cup.

Edited by GrandmasterP

then the guy who did the biting was complaining that other player( the bitten one) had hurt his teeth,,,

yeah, this is a bizarre one even by WC standards. He earned himself a four-month ban from FIFA, which means his professional career. Will also lose most if not all endorsement contracts as well.

Did you know this the THIRD time he's been penalized for biting?

btw - Germany/Brazil for the final. Any takers?

i am new to this soccer stuff, but the guys who wear the blue striped shirts look decent,,,i thought everyone was raving about the dutch? i dont see america going very far now, i think that already accomplished their goal.

third time biter? they should pull out his teeth , i think

germany barely got by usa, i am not too confident for them.

the mexican goalie spoke confidently,,

but i think i stick with the blue stripers

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

i am new to this soccer stuff, but the guys who wear the blue striped shirts look decent,,,i thought everyone was raving about the dutch? i dont see america going very far now, i think that already accomplished their goal.

Germany barely got by the USA? Did you actually watch the game? They only scored one goal, true, but it was a monsoon rain storm and the US team had basically parked a bus in front of the goal. Germany wasn't being challenged. If you want to see Germany under pressure, look for the sacond half of the their match with Ghana. When under pressure, they deliver. That game left me hoping that Ghana got through the first round, but that's how the ball bounces.

I hope they get past Algeria, though. If they do that, then there's not much keeping them from the final.

USA vs Belgium will be a good one, I think. It's hard to call anything on the US team.

haha, are the blue stripers Argentina? Look into what happened last time they met Germany, World Cup 2010 ;)

Btw check out the choppers on this guy:

LUIS-SUAREZ.jpg

Edited by soaring crane

so you english still watch the world cup even if your team is no longer in it??

how come all the south american teams get to play each other in the knockout round?

that means some of their teams of course will advance.

edit>> nevermind about watching, i just realized you watch wimbledon all these years without your own in it either.

Yes we are used to watching world cups when England has been sent home early.

BTW the Germans usually win ... unless its Brazil or Argentina then they don't.

So I'm going for Holland ... their manager is coming to manage Manchester United next season ... which is not a good thing in itself but he was tipped to move to Spurs before that so some connection there.

... a Brit won wimbolden last year ... please try to keep up ...

• Like 1

England got knocked out?

There's a surprise.

1966 I think was the last time England won that cup.

The chinese were writing that England was playing too soft and need to be the hooligans the world knows them as :wub:

This coming from a country of 1.4 billion who did not even make it to the World cup :huh:

• Like 3

BTW the Germans usually win ... unless its Brazil or Argentina then they don't.

Or Spain or France.

I have to say, though, there was a collective sigh of relief here when Italy got knocked out.

btw - Germany/Brazil for the final. Any takers?

One could bet that for the last 15 years :D

When the Netherlands are 'on', they are hard to beat... and Belgium has played well.... but both of them were in easy Groups ;)

Maybe we should instead select a dark horse who makes it the furthest :P

Or Spain or France.

I have to say, though, there was a collective sigh of relief here when Italy got knocked out.

Yes I'd forgotten Italy ... who were very poor although they beat England of course. Anyway the USA team are a kind of German product with Klinsmann as manager ... another Spurs hero so maybe I should support USA if it wasn't for the fact that they won't win.

Blue stripes... probably mean Argentina... historically a good to very good team... they could get far with their main man, Messi.

Germany barely got by the US because they had no reason to even play... there was a lot of talk that both teams would play so weak as to embarrass the soccer world... Germany was assured of advancing; they only don't want any injuries. The US was mostly assured and Germany would only help the US by playing soft. Remember, the US coach is a former German superstar :)

all the matches matter now, right?

i dont think spain has much of a chance really, and shows why we cannot look to past performance being a valid indication, right?

no one answered about the angel devil thing between korea and belgium,,,,,

some of those belgium devil fans looked festively entertaining tho,,

will begium be a player short against usa? this red card thing is a bit confusing.

yes, i get it about germany not wanting to risk injury on a sloppy field. now it is all out full tilt, take no prisoner mentality right?

hard to pick against brasil i think. but if anyone can win it on brazillian soil,,(think blue stripes)

this soccer fad, i hope it catches on, it was like no one had to go to work if the usa was playing,,,,,

does everyone have netherlands beating mexico?

in the round of 16 anything can happen i bet

edit>>oh yeah a brit did win wimbeldon(finally) good show!! watching patiently all those 77 years paid off!!

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

i dont think spain has much of a chance really, and shows why we cannot look to past performance being a valid indication, right?

will begium be a player short against usa? this red card thing is a bit confusing.

yes, i get it about germany not wanting to risk injury on a sloppy field. now it is all out full tilt, take no prisoner mentality right?

hard to pick against brasil i think. but if anyone can win it on brazillian soil,,(think blue stripes)

this soccer fad, i hope it catches on, it was like no one had to go to work if the usa was playing,,,,,

edit>>oh yeah a brit did win wimbeldon(finally) good show!! watching patiently all those 77 years paid off!!

Spain has no chance they have gone home.

Yes. The first rounds were, everyone plays 3 games. From now on, it is 'single elimination' : Eat or be eaten :P

Yes... the returning champs turned chump meat... :glare:

Missed that in a past thread...

No. Belgium can field an entire team but cannot field that player who got the red card. He needed to leave the game he received the red card in, AND misses the next game. Same for someone who gets two yellow cards = Red.

They should.... but anything does happen ;)

columbia looks good , right? do they have a chance against brazil?

chile dang near pulled it off.

i thought the netherlands caught a huge break with that foul called , looked like he flopped to me,

but how come he wasnt the one to take the penalty kick?

kinda like shaq getting fouled and larry bird able to shoot the free throws,,,

i get it that he was in the box close to the goal when the "foul" occured,,anyways.

go costa rica!!

there needs to be more instant replay in all professional sports. too many decisions are left to the fallible senses and whims and bribes of referees, too much money exchanges hands, too many people involved with too many security holes where integrity is concerned.

a flopper should receive a red card - pretty much anyone in that gif I posted, red card, gtfo the game, this is a sport not drama class.

silent thunder....do you really have a one iron in your bag :lol:

Edited by joeblast

Sign in to follow this