[still the spamming continues... When even moderators are active in this spamming,

I am reminded of the (translated) words of Dante :)]

Before me things create were none, save things

Eternal, and eternal I endure.

All hope abandon ye who enter here.

:)

Sorry, NotVoid!

How's this? It isn't "mine" but it resonates...

Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.

On one of the first pages of my Tao Te Bum I'd certainly have this, a very worthy desiderata:

Essence of Taoism Story From NonTien (*I'm just quoting this gem tl)

There is an old story that once Confucius, Shakyamuni Buddha and Lao-tzu were drinking some peach wine together. Buddha opined that it was bitter, Confucius that it was sour – but Lao-tzu, smiling, found it to be sweet.

The wine, of course, represents human life. Taoism is not a philosophy or religion of salvation or of escape, but of appropriately enjoying and dealing with the real life which we have. Taoism finds perfection in imperfection, and taking the eternal and universal viewpoint of the Tao, realizes that the good is not to be finally judged by personal or human preference.

Taoism suggests that happiness is found in accepting our situation. There is no reason not to do anything reasonable to better ourselves, of course, but resentment, denial or a negative outlook on life do nothing towards increasing our happiness. Cheerfulness, humor and a freedom from fussing are the attitudes that will stead us best in life.

This is not to say, however, that Taoism is any kind of forced and strained "positive thinking". It is fine to be sad or melancholic from time to time. This is a perfect occasion to read or write sad poems, listen to sad music and complain to our friends, and (in moderation) can add to the overall enjoyment of life.

Taoism is also unconcerned with ideas of "advancement" and "success" through some special mode of thinking. A Taoist is only willing to struggle to survive up to a point, after which he is content not to survive, death being a natural commitment of life. Lesser considerations such as career, popularity, fame and wealth are then obviously highly trivial, and not such as to cause serious unhappiness.

The Taoist takes his positive pleasures from the enjoyment of love (in all wholesome forms), learning (of interesting and worthwhile things), productive labor (of a kind actually beneficial to human beings), contemplation (whether of the taste of tea, the beauties of art or the moods of Nature), and Taoist practice (of meditation, t'ai-chi ch'üan etc.).

Above all, he or she endeavors to preserve the basic human integrity and innocence with which we are all endowed at birth, and not to be subverted by the concerns of worldliness. The Taoist strives not to want and get, but to enjoy what is already present with gratitude and grace.

• Like 6

Well, I think we have seen a pretty good example of how many of the conversations flow from we Tao Te Bums.

It's all because the opening post included the word "lake" which brought to mind a lake in Switzerland which apparently brought to mind chocolate and you can't have chocolate without milk and you need the cow to get the milk from.

All very natural and free-flowing. And no one is advertising any brand of chocolate.

But beware the cows. One day, Who knows?

• Like 1

Well, I think we have seen a pretty good example of how many of the conversations flow from we Tao Te Bums.

It's all because the opening post included the word "lake" which brought to mind a lake in Switzerland which apparently brought to mind chocolate and you can't have chocolate without milk and you need the cow to get the milk from.

All very natural and free-flowing. And no one is advertising any brand of chocolate.

Yeah I love that clip , thought of it instantly ,,and the great thing about it, is that it doesnt hinder anyone from posting poems at all and it bumps the thread back up to the top of the list too ! :) Triple the goodness

• Like 1

Would be nice to have a thread for posting works though. You never know, could be a book...

Or even discovered one day by future civilisations. How cool will that be?

"Today kids, we will discuss the writings of this Rara Tzu. It is up for debate whether he or she even existed as an individual, or whether he was a collective of like minded Taoists holding the sacred philosophy"

Edited by Rara
  • Like 1

Appreciate the initiative and will follow some sort of collectional thread for writing!

While i hope people discover this forum thousands of years from now its kind of scary. I feel careless with words already, the thought that it might come to be looked upon and valued for historical content gives my tummy the rumbles.

For the heck of it, a spontaneous little poem on cultivating stillness:

..... Oh, me?

I'm sorry, what?

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Like 3

Appreciate the initiative and will follow some sort of collectional thread for writing!

While i hope people discover this forum thousands of years from now its kind of scary. I feel careless with words already, the thought that it might come to be looked upon and valued for historical content gives my tummy the rumbles.

For the heck of it, a spontaneous little poem on cultivating stillness:

..... Oh, me?

I'm sorry, what?

That's the beauty in it though...careless free thought. It's not like Zhuangzi cared much for formality and structure...a collection of accounts, stories, poems, ramblings etc would be Tao :)

• Like 2

Well, if there are interested members reading the opening post perhaps this thread still holds a positive future.

• Like 1

Taoism is also unconcerned with ideas of "advancement" and "success" through some special mode of thinking. A Taoist is only willing to struggle to survive up to a point, after which he is content not to survive, death being a natural commitment of life. Lesser considerations such as career, popularity, fame and wealth are then obviously highly trivial, and not such as to cause serious unhappiness.

Great post, Lerner!

Your paragraph here instantly reminded me of the movie Gandhi, with Ben Kingsley. There was a point (when he was organizing his community and his non-violent march) that a reporter came up to him and said "Boy, you certainly are ambitious!"

Gandhi replied "I certainly hope not!"

• Like 1

On one of the first pages of my Tao Te Bum I'd certainly have this, a very worthy desiderata:

Essence of Taoism Story From NonTien

There is an old story that once Confucius, Shakyamuni Buddha and Lao-tzu were drinking some peach wine together. Buddha opined that it was bitter, Confucius that it was sour – but Lao-tzu, smiling, found it to be sweet.

The wine, of course, represents human life. Taoism is not a philosophy or religion of salvation or of escape, but of appropriately enjoying and dealing with the real life which we have. Taoism finds perfection in imperfection, and taking the eternal and universal viewpoint of the Tao, realizes that the good is not to be finally judged by personal or human preference.

Taoism suggests that happiness is found in accepting our situation. There is no reason not to do anything reasonable to better ourselves, of course, but resentment, denial or a negative outlook on life do nothing towards increasing our happiness. Cheerfulness, humor and a freedom from fussing are the attitudes that will stead us best in life.

This is not to say, however, that Taoism is any kind of forced and strained "positive thinking". It is fine to be sad or melancholic from time to time. This is a perfect occasion to read or write sad poems, listen to sad music and complain to our friends, and (in moderation) can add to the overall enjoyment of life.

The Taoist takes his positive pleasures from the enjoyment of love (in all wholesome forms), learning (of interesting and worthwhile things), productive labor (of a kind actually beneficial to human beings), contemplation (whether of the taste of tea, the beauties of art or the moods of Nature), and Taoist practice (of meditation, t'ai-chi ch'üan etc.).

Above all, he or she endeavors to preserve the basic human integrity and innocence with which we are all endowed at birth, and not to be subverted by the concerns of worldliness. The Taoist strives not to want and get, but to enjoy what is already present with gratitude and grace.

This expresses the state of all realized beings at which point there is only oneness, no religion, no philosophy. The philosophy, religion taught in a true fashion is the means - the path - to arrive at the no path no religion no philosophy no differentiation. All is one.

• Like 2

To get back to the OP's intent. How can we Tao Bummify the TTC, first verse?

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
The named is the mother of myriad things

I picked the translation above at random.

here's what i got.

The post written is not an eternal truth

The topic named is not the point of discussion

Rather the writings are reflections of our temporary inner state

Ramblings that point inward to our scattered thought

• Like 6

Hi everyone,

I love to ponder over Taoist stories and poetry, and often get inspired to write my own. A little because it helps me to realise and capture insights, and also because I enjoy throwing a few out there to see if they catch the attention of any masters that might be reading.

ANYWAY... I'm sure a lot of you probably have written thoughts and stuff down that I and others might enjoy to read, so I thought why not make our own Tao Te Bum compilation..just for a bit of fun...It can be completely new or maybe a famous quote you've adapted.

I'll start it off with one:

Like looking into a flowing river unable to reflect the images of the world around it clearly,
As is the mind of men.
The mind of a sage is like that of a still valley lake,
Showing reality clearly on it's glistening surface...
The reflection itself is unimportant,
For it would not exist without the water,
And it would not be carried without the light.
Looking forward to reading your insights :-)

‘I’ the Mind

'I' create ...

'I' the mind

'I' am the self

'I' am the life

If 'I' was no more

'I'' would not be

Life would be empty

In silence 'I'd sleep

Keeping a balance

'I' create my self

The illusion of life

An image of self

It is 'I' who lives

It is 'I' who forgets

The image of a God

The definition of a 'self'

As the journey began

So will it end

Neither the ocean

Nor the fish one appends

• Like 2

He walked up the sidewalk toward the warm glow and the comfort within. He knew how to smile and chat; it was simple. First, he just needed to breath a little more of the crisp night air, so he turned and walked away. As he stepped off the asphalt into the darkness of the forest, he started to run. He tripped and fell, but got back up and ran faster despite the bruises he felt forming. As he wildly tore through the woods, branches whipped his face and thorns tore his skin. Heart racing, he came into a clearing and collapsed supine into crumbling leaves. The cool earth soothed his aching muscles and as his jagged breath slowed, finally he felt that cloying tight suffocated feeling he always felt deep in his lungs ease. Alone, except for the thousands of chirping insects, and perhaps, amidst the steadfast stars the multitude of bums who had come before him smiling down. Tomorrow, he thought, he should find his way back, but for now in tranquility he slept.

Edited by zanshin
  • Like 1

I have a few comforting thoughts I wrote down a while ago that would fit here. This thread inspired me to edit it a bit. :)

My only desire is aimlessness.
I want to be free from all things.

I will accept everything,
And judge nothing.
Not because my judgments are wrong
Or because I have no right to judge
But because I want to be free from judging.
It is the greatest burden.

I will sit and watch the skin on my hands.
It is only remarkable
Because I forget I have already seen it.
I will take refuge in colors.
I will listen to the fan blowing.
I will stand with my palms to the wind
And smell the leaves in the air.
These things are always with me,
But sometimes I forget to be free.

Obstacles only appear
When I am trying to pass through.
If I decide to go nowhere,
There is nothing in my way.

I have no difficulty breathing or blinking,
But I am never impressed when I do them.
How long is a day on the sun?

I do not need to give up anything
Because I have nothing to give up.
My clothing, my books, my food,
They all belong to the world.
They are only mine because no one takes them.
My house is only safe because no one disturbs it.
Even my ambitions belong to the world.
I am never the first to try for them.
I will pursue them for no reason.
I need no reason when I am free.

I will not suffer from failure
Because there is no failure.
Every moment of freedom is success,
And every moment without freedom
Is the moment before success.

I will never be perfect.
Perfection is defined by rules,
And freedom is the absence of rules.
I will never succeed.
Success is a judgment,
And freedom is the absence of judgment.
I will forget the past
And master the present.
I will drop any burden
The moment I feel it on my back.

There is always something to worry about.
The past is full of regrets.
If I carry these with me,
I am trying to hold a tapestry together
With just two hands.
I will let the threads fly free in the wind.
I will be reckless and live without the past.

I will ask for little and expect nothing
Because I am unimportant and undeserving.
Knowing this, I can be free.
When my importance is unimportant,
I have no need for shame or pride.
When I realize I deserve nothing;
I am willing to wait quietly,
And I am never surprised
When I do not get what I want.

I will be the lowest creature
And welcome the unhappy people.
I will be a quiet pool of water
And keep it full for any who need it.

Everything always works out for me.
There is only one time when this will not be true,
But I will be too dead to care.

The trees are my greatest teachers.
They are mindless,
But they are alive,
And they grow.
They are content to wait forever,
For nothing at all.
They spread their seeds into the wind
And forget them.
They drink water and sunshine,
And because these things come to them freely,
They never need to move.

I will never try to win
Because when I am free, I have already won
And being free, I can do anything.

• Like 3

Like looking into a flowing river unable to reflect the images of the world around it clearly,

As is the mind of men.
The mind of a sage is like that of a still valley lake,
Showing reality clearly on it's glistening surface...
The reflection itself is unimportant,
For it would not exist without the water,
And it would not be carried without the light.

Looks like I talked about still water too. There must be something to that. :)

He walked up the sidewalk ...

A lot of excessive emotions in there, I think. But yeah, maybe tomorrow.

I have a few comforting thoughts I wrote down a while ago that would fit here. This thread inspired me to edit it a bit. :)

Yeah, we can have freedom any time we know that there is nothing that needs be done. (Or, when we have nothing left to lose.)

• Like 1

Looks like I talked about still water too. There must be something to that. :)

Yes, still water brings clarity. (At least until the polluting plants and animals start growing.)

Yeah, we can have freedom any time we know that there is nothing that needs be done. (Or, when we have nothing left to lose.)

Thanks!

• Like 1

A mystic said I am.

A philosopher said I exist.

This may be, but "I" do not even know what "I" is.

• Like 1

This may be, but "I" do not even know what "I" is.

HA, "I"'ve been trying to figure this out for months now... :3

The philosopher takes I to be that which is self evident , and the starting point for philosophy's foundations.

Farther down the road there there is that which is not self evident and the mystic might consider that to be I as well.

• Like 1