Icedude

I want a diploma.

I did edit my post...please read my elaboration.

If people stopped grasping for messiah status, then we would live in a better world. "Wanting" is from desire...so it is clear to me that for you, isn't about helping people. It's about the fame.

Ah, but if I could produce a cert that I was a bodhisattwa, then you wouldn't think or say these things. If I had some kind of glowing stamped cert by God, that I was Jesus, then you wouldn't doubt that I was Jesus.

Ah, but if I could produce a cert that I was a bodhisattwa, then you wouldn't think or say these things. If I had some kind of glowing stamped cert by God, that I was Jesus, then you wouldn't doubt that I was Jesus.

Yes, I would.

Yes, I would.

So no certificate in the world could convince you that anybody was Jesus, not even if God came down from the heavens, danced the macarena in front of you, singing: "Oh, glory to my son, who is my son, and he's just over there, embarrassed over his father making an ass of himself, but he is my son, and here's a glowing, singing cert, that makes flowers blossom and birds ejaculate, that is actually a portal back to this moment in space and time, where I always will be to prove that my son is my son."

Okay.

Edited by Icedude

So no certificate in the world could convince you that anybody was Jesus, not even if God came down from the heavens, danced the macarena in front of you, singing: "Oh, glory to my son, who is my son, and he's just over there, embarrassed over his father making an ass of himself, but he is my son, and here's a glowing, singing cert, that makes flowers blossom and birds ejaculate, that is actually a portal back to this moment in space and time, where I always will be to prove that my son is my son."

Okay.

Who would give God a certificate to prove he was God?

• Like 5

Who would give God a certificate to prove he was God?

Well God would draw one up, of course.

However Jesus wouldn't be able to draw one up, because he's dependent of God to draw one for him.

This is why we had transmissions and lineages, at least back in the day, that was supposed to lead all the way back to Buddha. Buddha "drew" his own certificate, and then the guys who found him bought into it for some reason. ...and people apparently got pretty pissed when Buddha just selected one guy to transmit to. *slowly begins transforming into John Cleese.* Today we have lots of people claiming to be buddhas and bodhisattwas, and there are different faiths having different requirements, and nobody seems to know exactly who is who in this giant mess that people still manage to take seriously somehow. If there's no way to test for enlightenment, then what's all the hubbub about? A guy sat down under a tree, and people got interested, and things kind of snowballed, and maybe something really cool was said, but we don't know that. We don't really know, because in steps the first council, who has no clue about what the buddha meant, so they draw up all these ridiculous rules that they define as buddhism, and after that Asoka just chops off their heads off. We can't be the least bit sure that there's anything left. Not unless there is a test of some kind that we can use to verify wisdom and titles with. This is an ex parrot!

God has no need for certificates. How absurd.

The signs of God are everywhere, only if you have the means to see/feel/hear/experience.

That's how God communicates. Not by pieces of paper or levels or belts or silk pyjamas.

• Like 1

I would be impressed if God appeared and did a song & dance each time you presented your certificate (until it dawned on me He was just an organ-grinder's monkey) but I would not be impressed by the certificate itself in the absence of the performance.

In my life, I have acquired many certificates, degrees and diplomas. I have been offered more. I couldn't tell you what happened yo any of them. (I think my wife may have stuck one of my university diplomas in a box in the garage, maybe.)

Who are you hoping to impress?

Edited by Brian

God has no need for certificates. How absurd.

The signs of God are everywhere, only if you have the means to see/feel/hear/experience.

That's how God communicates. Not by pieces of paper or levels or belts or silk pyjamas.

I know plenty of atheists that would be more impressed by a glowing, singing cert, than by Gods invisible, mute presence. There's no point in God revealing himself to you, when you already see him.

I would be impressed if God appeared and did a song & dance each time you presented your certificate (until it dawned on me He was just an organ-grinder's monkey) but I would not be impressed by the certificate itself in the absence of the performance.

In my life, I have acquired many certificates, degrees and diplomas. I have been offered more. I couldn't tell you what happened yo any of them. (I think my wife may have stuck one of my university diplomas in a box in the garage, maybe.)

Who are you hoping to impress?

You guys are completely useless.

For six pages now, half of what I've been hearing is "You don't need a diploma. A diploma is completely useless. You wouldn't be able to back up a diploma. You're just after money, sex and glory.". All of these are just complete excuses.

You'd *like to think* that I don't need a diploma.

You'd *like to think* that a diploma is completely useless.

You'd *like to think* that nobody is more enlightened than you.

You'd *like to think* that nobody could be more genuine than you.

The truth is that you don't know. You don't know what enlightenment is about, how to measure it, how to test for it, or how to cert it. ...but you'd like to play these stupid mind games, based on your selfish assertions, because if you can just drag me down to your level and beat me, then at least I'm not better than you.

You tell me that you don't need diplomas or certs for anthing, so I'm guessing that you just went and got a prestigious job by showing up on time and finding an empty desk. Your boss fully believed that you were capable of handling things, because there's really no need for grades or tests or recommendations. ...but then you got fired one day when you didn't show up to work fast enough, only to find that two monkeys had taken your place. ...because they showed up first, and found your empty desk.

...but you *sound* pretty cool when you say that you're above diplomas. That makes you sound like The Man. Maybe you even *have* said diplomas. What you don't have is a clue.

Edited by Icedude

Again, who are you trying to impress?

Yourself? A potential employer? Your mother? A regulatory agency? Potential students/followers? A date?

The value of a credential is in its ability impress.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

Why not let him be and let him get his diploma?

Heck! Several have offered to print one for him, I think. I'd be glad to as well. :D

• Like 1

Again, who are you trying to impress?

Yourself? A potential employer? Your mother? A regulatory agency? Potential students/followers? A date?

The value of a credential is in its ability impress.

Just people in general. Ignorant people who like diplomas.

Just people in general. Ignorant people who like diplomas.

Print three which have significantly different appearances (different fonts, borders, gold-foil seals, etc.) Ignorant people who like diplomas seem particularly impressed by them when presented in threes, for some reason.

Heck! Several have offered to print one for him, I think. I'd be glad to as well. :D

Yes, but it's not just in the diploma itself. I need to be able to earn it somehow, through a test of my current state. It needs to stand for something - not just for being an annoying beggar at an internet forum.

Print three which have significantly different appearances (different fonts, borders, gold-foil seals, etc.) Ignorant people who like diplomas seem particularly impressed by them when presented in threes, for some reason.

I only see the need for one, as to my knowledge, there is really only one scale from dukkha to buddhahood.

Edited by Icedude

I only see the need for one, as to my knowledge, there is really only one scale from dukkha to buddhahood.

God's not gonna give you a certificate for Buhhhahood is he? It's the competition - he doesn't like Buddha because Buddha didn't worship him!

You have to first be clear which certificate you want and then apply to the relevant authorities.

• Like 1

God's not gonna give you a certificate for Buhhhahood is he? It's the competition - he doesn't like Buddha because Buddha didn't worship him!

You have to first be clear which certificate you want and then apply to the relevant authorities.

See? *Now* where getting somewhere! :)

Can you provide me with an email to said relevant authorities, that'd be great. :)

(I don't recognize chinese governmental authorities, btw.)

• Like 1

Isaac Bonewits: He enrolled at UC Berkeley in 1966; he graduated from the university in 1970 with a Bachelor of Arts in Magic,[3] becoming the first[1] and only person to have ever received any kind of academic degree in Magic from an accredited university (done by altering his records without knowledge of his academic advisor).[4]

So, I read his books. Pretty good.

I don't have a diploma in magick, but my magick -Pretty good.

Isaac Bonewits is dead.

I'm not.

But his diploma, lives on (at least on Wikipedia)

Matthew 21:25
The baptism of John, whence was it? from heaven or from men?