ChiDragon

The "Like This" button!

I tend to like more posts then I click the tab on , but usually the ones I do click ,are those that have introduced some twist , shift , include interesting personal disclosure, or theyre funny etc.

• Like 2

See that's it. We all have different reasons for doing so (I have noticed you're more liberal Stosh)

So yes, probably bad to judge posts by their likes!

• Like 1

See that's it. We all have different reasons for doing so (I have noticed you're more liberal Stosh)

So yes, probably bad to judge posts by their likes!

ME! liberal ! perish the thought ! :)

• Like 2

I tend to like more posts then I click the tab on , but usually the ones I do click ,are those that have introduced some twist , shift , include interesting personal disclosure, or theyre funny etc.

Good point. For myself, if I have no response to a post but like what was said I will hit the button. On the other hand, most times when I respond to a post I normally don't hit the button as I am expressing myself much deeper than just saying "Like".

• Like 1

If you want to know who the cult leaders are- sort out all the "Likes" :ph34r:

Yeah, I hit the "Like" button but I agree with the Captain.

• Like 1

Good point. For myself, if I have no response to a post but like what was said I will hit the button. On the other hand, most times when I respond to a post I normally don't hit the button as I am expressing myself much deeper than just saying "Like".

Good point too, Some posts just stand on their own, and I have no rebuttal ,

OR , If I wanted to interact with that post more, I often will just skip the like button.

and Since there are some posts I just dont want to get involved with , which I dont like-button,,

and there are posts which I agree with fully , but dont like-button ,,

and there are those that I dont totally agree with -but see some quality in which I might or might not like-button,,,

and there are posts which I dont want to interfere with , since I want to see what happens amongst those who are most interested in the subject,,,

and some posts are so long that they will inevitably say something I really wouldnt support ..

AND everyone pretty much has their own criteria for hitting the button or not ......

I figure the like-button indications are rather coarse indicators with dubious informational value other than to say the clicker felt the post had some quality or other, which in order to know what that was one would really have to ask or guess at with flimsy support.

• Like 2

Oh, forgot something, I do sometimes hit the like button to let a person know that I've replied to a post. There's no notification when someone quotes you, but there is one for likes.

• Like 5

I like good spelling and grammar. I'm easy that way.

I do pay attention to my grammar but my spelling?, I will let that speak for itself.

• Like 2

ME! liberal ! perish the thought ! :)

Shit...I was tired and uses the wrong word (though it could have been taken as sarcasm I guess)

I meant conservative or stingy :P

• Like 2

Oh, forgot something, I do sometimes hit the like button to let a person know that I've replied to a post. There's no notification when someone quotes you, but there is one for likes.

Yes...a tactical way to get someone's attention.

• Like 2

I have noticed that I don't get a notification when I like my own post.

Someone is assuming I know what the heck I'm doing?

• Like 2

Hahaha....what does liking your own posts say about you?

Hehehe. Well, if I wasn't just goofing around it would likely indicate that I have a serious ego problem. (Vanity has never looked pretty through my eyes.)

• Like 2

I like all my posts--that's why I write 'em. Don't usually bother to press the button though as I assume people know that I agree with myself. Well, most of the time anyway.

• Like 4

I like all my posts--that's why I write 'em. Don't usually bother to press the button though as I assume people know that I agree with myself. Well, most of the time anyway.

That post was my first "like" in this thread. Congrats! ;)

• Like 2

I have spotted this behaviour on twitter too. People might have 1000 followers, but 95% of interaction is with the same 6 or so people.

I'm a bit sad. Analysing is what I do lol

It's not necessarily sad, it is what it is -- the 80/20 rule in action. It applies to everything. Actual percentages may vary, but the tendency is an ironclad law.

80% of all tasks are accomplished by 20% of all participants.

And let's not forget that to these 20% the 80/20 rule applies again -- i.e. while 80% of the original task, Task A, is accomplished by 20% of all Task A Work Force, a closer look will reveal that it's 20% of these 20% who are responsible for 80% of the 80% of Task A accomplished. And so on. That's how you arrive at the same 6 posters out of 1000 participants.

No matter how many people participate in anything, and no matter what this "anything" is, most participants don't do shit.

And then, for those who actually do something, the 95/5 rule kicks in: 95% of all things done by anyone doing anything is shit. We've all heard this said about the internet (95% of everything on the internet is shit), but it's not fair to single it out like that. The 95/5 rule is another universal law. At least in our time.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 3

Hahaha....what does liking your own posts say about you?

I don't see anything wrong with that. ;)

• Like 3

I do pay attention to my grammar but my spelling?, I will let that speak for itself.

There is a firefox addon which underlines spelling errors ;).

• Like 1

Is their rilly?

• Like 2

It's not necessarily sad, it is what it is -- the 80/20 rule in action. It applies to everything. Actual percentages may vary, but the tendency is an ironclad law.

80% of all tasks are accomplished by 20% of all participants.

And let's not forget that to these 20% the 80/20 rule applies again -- i.e. while 80% of the original task, Task A, is accomplished by 20% of all Task A Work Force, a closer look will reveal that it's 20% of these 20% who are responsible for 80% of the 80% of Task A accomplished. And so on. That's how you arrive at the same 6 posters out of 1000 participants.

No matter how many people participate in anything, and no matter what this "anything" is, most participants don't do shit.

And then, for those who actually do something, the 95/5 rule kicks in: 95% of all things done by anyone doing anything is shit. We've all heard this said about the internet (95% of everything on the internet is shit), but it's not fair to single it out like that. The 95/5 rule is another universal law. At least in our time.

80/20 aka Pareto Law :) For those interested in further reading. Edited by Rara
  • Like 1

Oh, no!!! I've gotta' be myself. Hehehe. If you accept me you must accept my flaws as well as my assets. All or nothing. If we start taking me apart then "I" will no longer exist. (Would that then make me a Buddhist?)

• Like 1