thelerner

Baby its cold outside

Whenever I see a thread in the office it is generally a member complaint or request, or asking to fix something.....

Now this whole weather thing.... well OK I recommend neigong and/or qigong! Zhan Zhuang is really good, especially combined with LDT stuff :D.

Exp# 1

Any fun experiments we could do? Maybe fill a glass with water, toss it up and see if it freezes before hitting the ground?

Exp# 2

sit outside naked with a wet sheet over your back, then practice gtummo ?

Experiment number 1, throwing water in the air didn't work after repeated experiments, even when water was pre chilled outside for 15 minutes.

I don't think experiment number 2 would have much luck either - just people wondering what that white lumpy sheet was doing outside for so many days.

• Like 2

Exp# 1

Exp# 2

Experiment number 1, throwing water in the air didn't work after repeated experiments, even when water was pre chilled outside for 15 minutes.

I don't think experiment number 2 would have much luck either - just people wondering what that white lumpy sheet was doing outside for so many days.

I've done this boiling water trick when it was -20F

• Like 1

sit outside naked with a wet sheet over your back, then practice gtummo ?

Some days I'm convinced Bagua or ZZ would do it also ;). However, a lot has to be said for a steaming hot bath afterwards this time of year, as well as head to toe clothing!

I walked to the gym and back in shorts, that's as close as I'm getting to any of those gtummo sitting in snow things, thanks. There *was* a heavy frost on the ground and a few frozen patches, but it was only 2C.

• Like 1

hahaha man I almost spit water all over my keyboard

We are dropping at 3F per hour now and it is just mid afternoon. At this rate, we'll hit absolute zero in less than a week!

I blame it on Al Gore...

• Like 4

Any fun experiments we could do?

Of course.

Take a stroll in an area with tall buildings that have waterspouts several stories high. As you casually walk by, give each of those waterspouts a hefty kick. (It's up to you to figure out how to do it so as not to attract unwanted attention. When I used to do it, I was 7 or 8 and the plan was to run away as fast as possible if anyone notices and starts making waves.) Use your aikido skills and withdraw your kicking leg promptly, for two reasons -- so as passers-by don't have a chance to notice that you kicked the waterspout, and so that your leg doesn't get in the way of what happens next. What happens next should be thunderous rumbling, and sizable cylinders of ice falling out of the waterspout. (Of course the ideal conditions would have been a mix of rain and snow before the freeze-over -- if it never snowed or rained, I guess it might not work...)

If you get very lucky, you will replicate what happened to me once, on the way home from school. Usually you got just the part of the inner ice core of the waterspout stuck in the curvy lowermost segment, but once, a good kick caused this thunder to start going up and up, all the way to the roof, to the sky! And then five stories of vertical ice thundered down, crumbling as it went and forming a mountain of ice rubble to the side of the opening easily six feet high! And the speed of it all happening was much faster than a free-fall would be because, well, ice is slippery, and once it got dislodged, it accelerated to an uncanny velocity! And it roared as it went down! And no one suspected that a skinny 8-year-old girl whom they didn't even notice was behind what made them jump and then gape and gawk and marvel! Oh, what a moment in time! :D

• Like 6

Seriously sorry to hear that...

Thanks. But that actually should have happened a month ago. Since I have been growing them they always die back during the winter but as soon as it gets warm enough for them they grow right back because the soil never gets cold enough to actually kill them.

By tomorrow I will start seeing whatever damage has been done.

It's up to 45 degrees out there now with full sun.

• Like 3

Up to zero now here.

Supposed to go over 20 today, though, and be in the 40s tomorrow, near 60 this weekend.

I absolutely LOVE living in the Southern Appalachian Highlands! They say variety is the spice of life and we get it in spades.

• Like 1

Thanks. But that actually should have happened a month ago. Since I have been growing them they always die back during the winter but as soon as it gets warm enough for them they grow right back because the soil never gets cold enough to actually kill them.

By tomorrow I will start seeing whatever damage has been done.

It's up to 45 degrees out there now with full sun.

Ah ok.

That's much better then... just a bit of sleep to recoup energy and then... jungle kudzu explosion!

• Like 2

Ah ok.

That's much better then... just a bit of sleep to recoup energy and then... jungle kudzu explosion!

Great! Now you understand my conditions better.

Up to zero now here.

Supposed to go over 20 today, though, and be in the 40s tomorrow, near 60 this weekend.

I absolutely LOVE living in the Southern Appalachian Highlands! They say variety is the spice of life and we get it in spades.

So for outdoor training you guys just wear 5 layers? ;)

Up to zero....

Anyone notice how I only "liked" the posts talking of warm weather? lol

Was sweltering ... until yesterday, last night I had the inside fire going , today rain and cold.

But that's great I have been waiting for some rain ... it was turning into a desert here , many of my tree ferns and 'soft tropicals' are no more. The day before yesterday I did a lot of repotting and made a new fish pond in the shadehouse / fernery so the rain was excellent timing ( When I moved back to the cabin I went down to feed the 2 fish in the veggie garden pond and there are now 3 generations of fish ! The original 2 , 2 or 3 medium sized and about 5 tiny ones :) - that was quiet a surprise. So I have moved some into the new pond.)

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

So for outdoor training you guys just wear 5 layers? ;)

Up to zero....

Anyone notice how I only "liked" the posts talking of warm weather? lol

We train outdoors on weekends as long as it's above 30 degrees F

• Like 2

We train outdoors on weekends as long as it's above 30 degrees F

Now those temperatures are fine for training, but... anything lower, nuh uh! ;)