Formless Tao

What Daring Animals/Foods Have You Eaten While Travelling?

I am fond of dog... so usually eat it when in china.

Often in china, 'fresh' is much closer to meaning than in the US... if you can pick your animal while it is alive, I call that fresh.

Several varieties of slugs including some from the sea. I like this large turtle from one city. Something like a circada.

Organs from many animals. Fish eyes and brain. Spicy Duck brain is to die for. Pig intestine, tongue, ear is really good. Donkey meat and genitalia (both sexes, when mixed is called Phoenix and Dragon) is quite good. Pregnant frogs (eating the stomach was interesting).

Many things on a 'stick'. Birds so small they look like baby frogs. Small frogs... other insects on a stick.

Edited by dawei
  • Like 2

Dawei, checkout my travel thread on here and post some stuff will ya? :) You either live somewhere very interesting (at least food wise) or have traveled to such places.

Btw, congrats you have actually listed foods I would be very squirmish about trying, slugs... too many memories of waking up next to one while camping LOL.

• Like 1

I've had things others have mentioned...and also frog legs. I will never have them again. They don't taste like chicken. They actually taste like a swamp.

• Like 1

I am fond of dog... so usually eat it when in china. Often in china, 'fresh' is much closer to meaning than in the US... if you can pick your animal while it is alive, I call that fresh. Several varieties of slugs including some from the sea. I like this large turtle from one city. Something like a circada. Organs from many animals. Fish eyes and brain. Spicy Duck brain is to die for. Pig intestine, tongue, ear is really good. Donkey meat and genitalia (both sexes, when mixed is called Phoenix and Dragon) is quite good. Pregnant frogs (eating the stomach was interesting). Many things on a 'stick'. Birds so small they look like baby frogs. Small frogs... other insects on a stick.

Dawei nice going. Your eating habits remind me of my wifes.. very similar :)

Peace FT

I forgot to mention sea urchins I gathered among the Mediterranean rocks in wintry Italy. These were also adventurous enough -- I didn't speak any language and had to find out from the locals how to eat them (the urchins, not the locals) with a dictionary in one hand and a sea urchin in another, so I was not one hundred percent sure I got accurate instructions. You eat them live, the instructions went, open the shell, sprinkle the inside with lemon juice, scoop out with a spoon. The first one was the scariest. The many dozens that followed were a breeze, and a treat.

• Like 2

Dawei nice going. Your eating habits remind me of my wifes.. very similar :) Peace FT

I forgot to mention the dog pee-pee dish... the story behind it is the most interesting.

The local friend I was with had never had it so we couldn't resist an order.

It came out looking in its full morning glory but sliced up...

He ate the tip and then afterwards looked at me and asked:

"In english, would you say that I just gave the dog a BJ?"

I said... "I think even 'deep throat' doesn't quite completely capture what you just did..."

Then I had to explain 'deep throat'...

Many beers and hard alcohol make such nights more fun than otherwise might be possible.

• Like 1

I nearly forgot! Was at a local chinese restaurant on my birthday. One of the sorts where they don't speak a word of english. Fortunately my chinese friend was with me. There were a few words in english here and there including "snake soup". So I just had to get that! It was pretty yummy. My friend didn't know what sort of snake they use, or at least not the english word for it.

Dawei, where do you live?! lol

• Like 1

Thing about being out in the wild and not being sure what is edible, watch the birds and other animals. Whatever they are eating is likely edible by humans.

I sometimes buy dried seaweed and use it as wrap for different kinds of rice dishes.

I have never learned about collecting mushrooms so I wouldn't do that myself.

I have some fond memories of a purple-ringed delicacy sometimes found growing out of a cow-patty...

;)

I was rather adventurous in my youth...

• Like 5

I was NOT going to try this, but I saw Maori do it in NZ. Catch lobster, split down the back and hang them on the fence for 3 days in the sun (at least) until the inside turns into a green liquid goo ... then drink out of the shell !

Maori have cast iron digestive systems!

• Like 1

I was NOT going to try this, but I saw Maori do it in NZ. Catch lobster, split down the back and hang them on the fence for 3 days in the sun (at least) until the inside turns into a green liquid goo ... then drink out of the shell !

Maori have cast iron digestive systems!

What is the Maori word for "vegetarian"? ;)

• Like 2

I have some fond memories of a purple-ringed delicacy sometimes found growing out of a cow-patty... ;) I was rather adventurous in my youth...

Ah memories.

I went to a party one night. Pulled up in the paddock next to the one with the sound stage and outdoor lightshow (the car park paddock) got out the car and looked across the rest of the paddock and saw a strange stubble pattern over about half and acre. Went to have a look :blink: "Hey you guys! There are about 200 'blue meenies' over here!" - stampede -

What a night (and party) that was !

(They are rarer here than the 'gold-top' ) I personally prefer the ones that grow in the bamboo grove in summer wet season;

a luminous green ground spreading fungus - a luminous green toady and a glowing soft blue light toady (not to eat but to look at as I walk along the bamboo grove trails at night amongst the fire-flies ... a much nicer trip IMO :)

• Like 2

Speaking of that:

There are some species of insects that, after mating the female gives the male a head job. Yes, she eats the head, and sometimes other parts of the male for the needed food for her offspring.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 2

There's a root or tuber that grows in China, which supposedly looks and tastes like meat. The translator didn't know how to translate its name when master Wang Liping was lecturing on taoist nutrition in Moscow, and there was only one person in the audience, a Chinese, who knew what he was talking about. Does anyone know what that is? It was mentioned because during certain specific periods of cultivation that call for "avoidance of blood" (this includes all animal sources of food and also avoidance of menstruating women, people with any cuts or wounds, approaching hospitals or butcher's shops, battlefields, and possibly some TTB squabbles), this vegetable (tuber?) was mentioned as something to avoid as well. Not that I"m likely to unwittingly eat it at a crucial moment, but just out of curiosity -- anyone know this one?

• Like 1

As a kid, I saw movement in a dark hole at the bank of our pond and, rather foolishly perhaps, reached in and pulled out frog after frog. My mom fried up their legs for dinner.

In Mexico I've sampled grasshoppers on multiple occasions. The small ones, bagged up by indigenous Oaxacan women at the market, taste mostly of the chile and lime they are prepared with. A grasshopper sandwich I sampled later proved more challenging. Such a weird feeling crunching down on those little legs. Also, iguana soup.

• Like 1

There's a root or tuber that grows in China, which supposedly looks and tastes like meat. The translator didn't know how to translate its name when master Wang Liping was lecturing on taoist nutrition in Moscow, and there was only one person in the audience, a Chinese, who knew what he was talking about. Does anyone know what that is? It was mentioned because during certain specific periods of cultivation that call for "avoidance of blood" (this includes all animal sources of food and also avoidance of menstruating women, people with any cuts or wounds, approaching hospitals or butcher's shops, battlefields, and possibly some TTB squabbles), this vegetable (tuber?) was mentioned as something to avoid as well. Not that I"m likely to unwittingly eat it at a crucial moment, but just out of curiosity -- anyone know this one?

total wild guess here, since they use it in beyondmeat, and you can eat the roots and it may be red colored . Even mentioned in the Chuang tze ..my total guess is an amaranthus species. Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Speaking of that:

There are some species of insects that, after mating the female gives the male a head job. Yes, she eats the head, and sometimes other parts of the male for the needed food for her offspring.

You would think that word would have gotten around (amongst the males) by now! ;)

• Like 1

You would think that word would have gotten around (amongst the males) by now! ;)

They're all thinking with the wrong head.

• Like 3

Speaking of that:

Congratu-ululations ! I have never read a post that summed up so many previous posts (with outward descriptions and not-so-hidden innuendo) and tied all the threads back together and on topic in so few words . <applause>

• Like 1

As a kid, I saw movement in a dark hole at the bank of our pond and, rather foolishly perhaps, reached in and pulled out frog after frog. My mom fried up their legs for dinner.

I need to keep you away from my fish ponds. My frogs serve a useful purpose here, eating bugs so I don't have to spray.

• Like 1

I guess that after all that activity they are just too tired to run away.

Edit to add:

I think that is how a lot of guys end up getting married. Too tired to run away.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 2