Lightchild

First step on the longest road.

Because of my faulty condition I came to the conclusion that I have to step on a different road

I'm a recently awaken fellow who has some yin blockages in my solar plexus and I'm looking for more then a solution, I'm looking for a new way of life.

I need some suggestions so I can start building the base of my tower, I don't have too much experience with qi (chi, ki) but I understand some of it's principles, also breathing it's important, I don't know anything about it yet also.

I want to adopt a training method that could help me increase my internal qi and my capabilities of controlling it, to the point that I can use it externally to heal others and protect me and my dearest (I have no interest in the martial part of it, but I think they are intertwined until a point).

I am living in tokyo now and I don't know where to start from, I'd pick up a dvd but I found out this could go wrong if practiced without a masters guidance, I know there are some schools around but I'm afraid that they could teach only form without substance, but if someone knows an amazing teacher that would truly be a blessing.

It's a big decision for me and I wanna get it right from the start, any guidance even some books that would introduce me to the right way of thinking are welcomed. I know there's plenty of material around the board but I don't know if that's the right one.

But if it's a strong path that start with dvds and I wouldn't refuse it.

For a start it would also be awesome if someone is willing to tutor me via 30day-30mins program that you have.

Peace and happiness.

Edited by Lightchild
  • Like 3

I need some suggestions so I can start building the base of my tower, I don't have too much experience with qi (chi, ki) but I understand some of it's principles, also breathing it's important, I don't know anything about it yet also.

start with the breath - whenever you have a mess of signals to deal with, it is ostensibly noise. the breath is perhaps the biggest point of control of some signal input - so begin by identifying those signals, by working with them you attenuate them and also lower any of the noise that spawns off of those signals. eventually things get quiet and the background now becomes the foreground, more refined signal patterns to work with. have a look at some of my posts on breathwork. plenty of good info available around here to supplement, but good instruction from a competent someone is indispensable. :)

Kan is somewhere over there in japan but not quite sure where. Too much japanese for me to read there :lol:

kanportal.com

Edited by joeblast
  • Like 1

@gemstone I tried the first Zhan Zhuang exercise, standing like a tree and I felt something in my hands (my imagination, my spine problems or something else, I was told I have a strong bio energy by a masseur once, yet I didn't knew what he meant. (Sorry if my questions seem retarded)

@Effilang if there's a teacher in Tokyo that you guys recommend I'd be happy to have a talk with him, is his name simply Jesse on the forum and is Tao yin a good and strong style to start with ?

Because my spine problems and bad posture I think someone to help me with postures is neccessary.

@joeblast I will check your info about breathing, my japanese is also non existent but I will find a way to reach mister Kan, I bet he is an English speaker.

Edited by Lightchild

It is good that you noticed any sensation at your first session. :)

This practice will make you strong both in body and mind, and over time build a strong internal energy that can be benificial for both yourself and others (through healing application).

End every session with your hands over the lower Dan Tien (navel area) for a couple of minutes to store the energies that you have cultivated.

If you resonate with the practice I strongly recommend that you buy the book.

Good luck!

I would say it's possible to start with videos and books if you're searching just for the start. For example, you can learn the basics of posture, and guiding philosophical principles with books.

From what I have mostly seen, the videos made by the best teachers will only show what you can actually learn from a video, so there isn't much harm if your only working on the foundations. There can of course be problems learning higher things from videos because 1) most people don't do any warm ups before following the video and 2) (there are probably many more reasons, hwv..) it's easy to accustom the body to improper habits which will take longer for you to undo when you learn face a face.

Chi gong is fairly simple though when you get the feel of the "true breath" which is a breath through you pores and muscles independent of the other breath. Like you feel the air moving in your body, you'll feel another energy moving through your muscles. Following the philosophy in the Tao Te Ching and other Taoist texts, let this energy take its course, like letting your body dance to nature. From this point it's easy to use Chi Gong movements with feeling and benefit.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness
  • Like 1

Get 'The Attention Revolution', by Alan Wallace!

Shamatha mental training is so important, because it gives you a very clear focused mind. This is conducive to real wisdom, chi developing effortlessly (because your mind isn't hindering the flow), and developing virtue.

This book is probably the clearest outline of the theory and actual practice out there. :)

• Like 1

I managed to talk with Jesse, next are the books,I don't own a credit card thou, but I shall find a way.(I always tried to live my life outside of the system at least mentally)

When I practiced today the stand like a tree posture, I managed to play with the tension in my arms swinging it from left to right hand with my attention (I am amazed about it) but does my focus should be somewhere in particular ?

Edited by Lightchild
  • Like 1

The focus of the practice, in the beginning, is to let go of tension. Both in mind and body.

Check from top down for tension and try to relax. This should be done over and over.

The body is open, all joints are slightly bent, the breath is slow, deep and full.

You can imagine that all of your body except your head is submerged in water. The water helps to carry the weight of your body so you can relax even more.

The energy will rise. Just let it be.

Relax and more will come..

Don´t initiate any tensions or movement with the mind, let them go.

• Like 1

After doing some Zhan Zhuang exercises for a week or so, I've started to have a nasty pain in the left side of my head only and it's pretty permanent, medicine don't help too much. Could it be from energy blockages or I'm paranoid ?

What do you think folks ? The books from amazon didn't arrived yet. (I'm so nervous about it)

i share your enthusiasm for baguazhang gerard.

but is it really a one size fits all?

basic qigongs can be accessed by a larger group.

and taijiquan is more accessable to most than baguazhang. imo

each individual path is individual and folks need to play/practice what is resonating with them.

there is no rush, take time to find the right path for you.

baby steps

Edited by zerostao

Helps if you accept the road you are on might be the destination, and not just the road to the destination.

And at the very end, what the road was might not even matter.

Or even if there was a road

Idiotic Taoist

• Like 3

I managed to get both Qi qong: roots of health and longevity, and Way of Energy. I will keep praticing the Zhan Zhuang, after fully understooding the books, I think I could incorporate both of them.

While I would love to study with an instructor at the moment, because practice is what I lack the most, they are a bit out of reach for me at the moment.

Shenlong, the wisdom in your words is echoing in my ears.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Edited by Lightchild
  • Like 1

After different experiences with different people and styles, I've started practicing Falun Gong.

In just one month it brought me huge physical and spiritual changes all in the best.

It is all I ever needed and my words are useless to express the wonder that Falun Dafa is.

Thank you again for your help

Edited by Lightchild

*looks at your location listed* hmm fortunately it shouldn't be too difficult where you are :).

Community centers, craigslist, local groups, ads in community centers and bookstores.