vivekji108

What is the best Qigong lineage to start out with?

LOL I'm still confused because there is so much to choose form :)

I always prefer the more simple, solid & oldest methods... I see soo much stuff that is just a variation of something else.

What would be the oldest most authentic form of qigong out there?

Too many choices can be just as bad as none.

I started practicing Spring forest qigong, which I think is a great.

I'd recommend going with that till you have a better idea of what you are looking for. As you practice you will start to move towards your personal path and what is unique and specific to you. But as others have said, you gotta practice.

John

• Like 2

I started inquiring about these exercises here http://thetaobums.com/topic/28679-qigong-vs-tai-chi-chuan-for-someone-as-flexible-as-an-iron-bar/ but I found this thread and thought I'd follow up here with my questions, as I'm learning about this.

I found Master Lam Kam Chuen's videos and started watching them. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH_ecCMHqqpBazYiUv3Sg8Q They're really nice.

I also found this one

and a few on yin yoga.

My questions, and I'm sorry for being a pain :unsure: ...

1. Do I pick one "discipline", baduanjin, zhan zhuang, yin yoga and do only that, or are they OK to do together as a complete exercise routine, either on the same day or different days?

2. In doing zhan zhuang I'm confused about the duration of each pose. For example, when learning the first pose am I supposed to work up to and be able to hold it for 20 minutes? Then when I can do each of them properly for 20 minutes, then I can perform the full routine holding each one for 5 minutes? If so then it could take a week, 2 weeks, etc. to perform each pose perfectly? That's OK because I'm not looking to rush.

1. Do I pick one "discipline", baduanjin, zhan zhuang, yin yoga and do only that, or are they OK to do together as a complete exercise routine, either on the same day or different days?

It is better to practice Zhan Zhuang in the morning, and after that you can do baduanjin.

you can practice yin yoga in the evening.

but it would be better if you practised Dao Yin, because it is daoist art and it uses the same principles of inner work. However, in yoga other principles may be used that would differ from Daoist arts.

2. In doing zhan zhuang I'm confused about the duration of each pose. For example, when learning the first pose am I supposed to work up to and be able to hold it for 20 minutes? Then when I can do each of them properly for 20 minutes, then I can perform the full routine holding each one for 5 minutes? If so then it could take a week, 2 weeks, etc. to perform each pose perfectly? That's OK because I'm not looking to rush.

http://thetaobums.com/topic/25395-what-does-standing-meditation-do-tofor-you/?p=440276

Many thanks to everyone contributing their valuable information to me :)

At the moment I'm looking for some good books on Qigong as well that explain the deeper mysteries and some of the theoretical part and that as well serve as a source of inspiration..

So far I found:

The root of Chinese Qigong: secrets for health, longevity & enlightenment from Yang

Is that book worth getting? Any other books that you would recommend for me?

Thanks,

Vivek

Great book! Love it and still reference it after years. Great overview.

• Like 1

It is better to practice Zhan Zhuang in the morning, and after that you can do baduanjin.

you can practice yin yoga in the evening.

but it would be better if you practised Dao Yin, because it is daoist art and it uses the same principles of inner work. However, in yoga other principles may be used that would differ from Daoist arts.

http://thetaobums.com/topic/25395-what-does-standing-meditation-do-tofor-you/?p=440276

Great, thanks for the info. I'm glad zhan zhuang and baduanjin don't conflict. I like the look of both of them. They look like they complement each other. I'll look at Dao Yin also. I like to learn as much as I can about something I get interested in.

My acupuncturist and physiotherapist (for my lumbar and rotator cuff surgeries) are both on-board with me moving away from weight training and getting into some form of yoga and qigong. They've been hounding me about it for some time now, so this makes them happy. :D

• Like 1

None of those disciplines conflict with each other, that's why I recommended them specifically.

I would learn only ONE, and practice it daily for at least 3 months, before adding further practices though.

Also, the one that you do choose, get as much information as possible on it. If you don't have regular access to a teacher, ask a friend or family member to check your posture.

Most importantly, go within.

Learn to feel and listen to your mind/body/spirit.

Try to find the time for solitude for an hour a day.

If you have nature nearby or a park, take time to just mindfully walk there. No ipod ! Listen, look, smell, feel the wonderful creation all around you.

Best wishes

• Like 2

Great, thanks for the info. I'm glad zhan zhuang and baduanjin don't conflict. I like the look of both of them. They look like they complement each other. I'll look at Dao Yin also. I like to learn as much as I can about something I get interested in.

You can find more information about Dao Yin here http://zhendaopai.com/dao-yin/

• Like 2

The Healing Promise of Qi is an easy read. Good place to start.

Edited for spelling

Edited by h.uriahr
  • Like 5

I'd recommend finding a teacher over any book, much less unlearning to do later. I have yet to meet a qigong teacher who actually recommends any of the books. Also none of the people I know who teach qigong would prefer a student who has learned from books over one who is just brand new.

If however you live in the middle of nowhere and there is not even a single qigong teacher (keep in mind all of the internal martial arts have some form of qigong in the series of practices as well), then any post standing exercises are the best to start in my opinion. Well OK best to keep doing all throughout your practice too. Those stand still be fit vids are actually pretty good, for non in person teaching.

I disagree with some of what you're saying. It's chicken and the egg. What came first? Who taught Da Mo the fist and palm forms while he was spending 9 years facing a wall? I mean let's be honest here, If you can't figure out how to stand in first position of Zhan Zhuang or perform Baduanjin without a teacher then you probably are not meant to achieve much spiritually in this lifetime - and that's okay.

Another thing is finding an authentic teacher, not a white dude in a dojo that charges $150 a month to hand out belts. This doesn't mean white people can't become masters, but it's growing extremely rare to find even an authentic asian master to teach you this stuff.

However, I agree with you that if you can find a teacher (granted someone authentic/legit) to show you the way, that it is ultimately better than learning from out of a book. Just don't be so quick to dismiss the power/intention of a well written book (or DVD) by authentic masters.

Edited by Celestial
  • Like 4

I disagree with some of what you're saying. It's chicken and the egg. What came first? Who taught Da Mo the fist and palm forms while he was spending 9 years facing a wall? I mean let's be honest here, If you can't figure out how to stand in first position of Zhan Zhuang or perform Baduanjin without a teacher then you probably are not meant to achieve much spiritually in this lifetime - and that's okay.

Another thing is finding an authentic teacher, not a white dude in a dojo that charges $150 a month to hand out belts. This doesn't mean white people can't become masters, but it's growing extremely rare to find even an authentic asian master to teach you this stuff.

However, I agree with you that if you can find a teacher (granted someone authentic/legit) to show you the way, that it is ultimately better than learning from out of a book. Just don't be so quick to dismiss the power/intention of a well written book by authentic masters.

Well a real chi kung practioner is the one that know how to regulate the chi.So you need to understand what is the chi doing and how we can absorb the chi and regulate the chi.Well you need a master to tell you how.But thats not the case some of them are blessed with the capability or in other words its naturally having this capability but didnt realise what its but this its just a small number out of few thousand .

• Like 1

Well a real chi kung practioner is the one that know how to regulate the chi.So you need to understand what is the chi doing and how we can absorb the chi and regulate the chi.Well you need a master to tell you how.But thats not the case some of them are blessed with the capability or in other words its naturally having this capability but didnt realise what its but this its just a small number out of few thousand .

Most of what you just said is highly documented in books. What I have found in my practices is that I can feel what is and what isn't working. It's not a gift, we're all born with this ability. Teachers can show you the way, they can also discipline you, but ultimately you know your limits.

• Like 1

Most of what you just said is highly documented in books. What I have found in my practices is that I can feel what is and what isn't working. It's not a gift, we're all born with this ability. Teachers can show you the way, they can also discipline you, but ultimately you know your limits.

sorry i didnt say something from the book but all I say was from my own practice and wisdom.Nope teacher cant show all because its also depend on the limit of each person like what you say because if I am gonna teach you something that you dont understand then it will make the matter worst.So a good teacher will teach according to the student limit.Yes I agree with you that we the only one know how it feel when things is not working but a good teacher will notice you when you have a problem.Well not all are born with this ability because some of them dont even recognised your practice and your religion.So we are born to according to our karma not to the same believe and practice.Sorry to bring out the word karma.

• Like 1

The best form to start out with is the one that resonates with you and the one that drives you to practice every day.

Some books are amazing and have really augmented my understanding and experience of practice. Nothing beats a real teacher in my opinion, but that is not always an option and some books are very well written.

Some books that have great info and really added depth to my practice and understanding:

The Root of Chinese Qigong: Dr Yang, Jwing-Ming (great for theory, proper breathing as well as history of qigong)

Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing: Daniel Reid (incredible amount of info on creating and sustaining health, including very easy to follow illustrations of simple qigong forms to get you started)

Daoist Neigong and The Dragon Dao-Yin Exercises: Damo Mitchell (a bit more advanced)

• Like 3

If you learn from books, try to keep it simple - by simple I would actually recommend video for learning the movements and some mild reading to understand the fundamentals. But tread carefully if you start thinking you want to direct the Qi - for this I would seek a master.

I came to Qi Gong somewhat late in my practices and find it very powerful - for me it has been a very quick pace of learning but while I can feel the Qi very clearly and powerfully I have refrained from directing it. Though I do MCO (micro cosmic orbit) but this is quite simple.

I have enjoyed letting it grow and clean my space, clear blocks and join forces within me.

It is incredible!

It has been almost 2 years 4 classes a week of Qi gong and 2 of Tai Chi for about 5 months now.

All the best

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 6

I'd like to learn Qi-gong but am confused as what kind of Qigong to start out with.

Well, it depends . . . on which aspect of QiGong are you most interested in.

Here are some of them:

(1) for physical/emotional health

(2) for martial arts

(3) for spirituality

(4) for sexuality

(5) for socializing

(6) for escapism

Different teachers and teachings . . . are better/worse for each of them.

At the beginning of my practice, I started with Nine Palaces System. It is a lineage from the White Cloud Monastery in northern China. I used Qi Gong for Total Wellness by Dr. Baolin Wu as an introduction to this lineage.

As others recommended, I also recommend The Root of Chinese Qigong by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming. It provides a good foundation and overview (not a specific lineage, though. It also discusses the most fundamental and important concepts you will ever need to know, whatever lineage you practice: The Five Regulations. One must have a mastery of these five regulations before you can safely and successfully advance very far.

After studying and learning The Root of Chinese Qigong, you can move onto the next book in Dr. Yang's series: Embryonic Breathing.

Edited by Neophyte
  • Like 2

So many people base their decision on how powerful the chi is when they try a chi kung method. But the benefits and what each method is doing can be intangible to our senses because there are different levels of chi. So I test each method I am interested in by having my medical clairvoyant literally see in his consciousness what the method will do for me. All he needs is the name of a method to be able to tune in. He has saved me so much time not falling for hype. Over the past 7 years of research and practice with him he has found the most beneficial chi kung to be Falun Dafa, All of the styles under the Grandmaster Doo Wai lineage such as Flying Phoenix Celestial Chi Kung for Health, and Sunn Yee Gong, plus the Doo Wai advanced dvds sold by Dan LA Rochelle of White Tiger Kung Fu. His latest testing is for Pangu Mystical Qigong by Master Ou. I have dropped all other methods to do this one now because it only takes 20 minutes to do and opens the 3 most vital energy channels, nadis, in Ayurvedic terms, of the 72,000 nadis that we have. It is also the simplest qigong method to learn but tested as very powerful and the chi can be felt strongly in your hands the very first time you learn it. It requires a direct energy transmission from the Master as part of the initiation and it can be done using dvd course, he sends it long distance. The other methods I have done take too long to do. At age 66 I don't have time to shop around for the most powerful method via trial and error which is why I use my trusted clairvoyant since 1998. By the way, he found that Falun Dafa opens ALL of the nadis, just as that Master claims in his lecture and book! But the method takes a few hours to do each day.

May the chi flow and the kundalini rise

Edited by tao stillness
  • Like 5

Lots of good recommendations in this thread. I won't add to them, but would like to state a few simple things that have helped me in my journey:

1. Books are good, videos are better, a real instructor is best.

2. No practice is complete without some simple standing and sitting in stillness.

3. No matter how relaxed you think you are, you can always relax more.

4. If it becomes a chore, don't be afraid to stop for a while. Your body/mind could be telling you you need a break.

• Like 11

I would say Xiang Gong (Fragrant Qigong).  It is very easy to learn, no visualization or breath control required, can be practiced with eyes open, while standing, sitting or lying, takes only 15 minutes to do, and free. Extremely suitable for elderly or impaired people, or kids. Level 1 is one of the best medical qigongs known to the public. One may get unbelievable results in just several days to a few months, at least in my family and friends' experiences. Please refer to my report here https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/40061-potent-systems/?page=13

Edited by Vovi
typing error
  • Like 1

There are many qigong forms to choose from, but if you are going to practise a few forms with the help of DVDs, then choose those with similar/same breathing technique. There are about 2000+ forms and every one of them is good for you to choose from. These forms fall mainly into four main classifications of Qigong, The Daoist, The Buddhist, The Medical, and The Confucianist, each with their peculiar emphasis and objective. Again, it is best to choose within the same classification. One of the oldest forms of Qigong is The Five Animal Frolic which was pioneered during the Three Kingdom period by the great Chinese physician, Hua Tor. Learning Qigong and be proficient of it, is not within a matter of weeks, but years. There are 3 layers of study: firstly, the physical mechanics, postures and mastering them and in most instances, the degree of relaxation or 'looseness' in internal system, nei-jia. Secondly, the gathering of qi which will only result from proper inhalation and exhalation, and in this respect, not all qigong forms adopt a singular breathing method (there are 4 main methods) and thirdly, moving the qi with intent, and perhaps even qi emission (this depends on the form and the teacher). DVDs can cover the first two layers, and that of course depends on the intensity and depth of instruction. Even simple qigong form like Xiang Gong, Fragrant Qigong, is simple to look at and to practice, yet, given the three layers of practice, is difficult to master. If you are committed and be diligent, you can succeed. A good 2 hours, max 3, practice is good enough, and do not over-practice as it can be injurious to your health. The best bet is to look for a good master that can train you in those three aspects. Good luck.

• Like 2