Aaron

Religion is the poison of Spirituality

For instance a bigfoot ...

Yeah! Bigfeet don't exist either. Well, unless one is talking about the feet of an elephant.

It used to tick my boss off to no end when I would say that there was no life on other planets.

It seemed to me that without any proof at all , one might as well make a stand, deny it and get

on with the life here on earth where we do live.

He said I was arrogant !

he he he

( Im not sure he's over that yet)

:)

Have a nice weekend

Edited by Stosh

It used to tick my boss off to no end when I would say that there was no life on other planets.

It seemed to me that without any proof at all , one might as well make a stand, deny it and get

on with the life here on earth where we do live.

He said I was arrogant !

he he he

( Im not sure he's over that yet)

:)

Have a nice weekend

Hehehe. Belly laughs.

I have been around this planet twice during my time in the Army and I have rarely seen intelligent life.

s

Hehehe. Belly laughs.

I have been around this planet twice during my time in the Army and I have rarely seen intelligent life.

Quite right

I read something like 5800 accidents with trains happen each year in the US !

Its not like they are really a surprise they show up where they do.

Accidents are unfortunate , those with trains seem rather avoidable.

Ciao amigo

Edited by Stosh

Ciao amigo

I miss the "Ciao" greeting. When I was stationed in Italy and the Italians exchanged it with me I felt so much at home. I was at home, of course, but the feeling is what was important. Lovely people, those Italians.

their is no absolute proof for anything that is not absolute... and the kicker is that only the absolute can prove that.

their is no absolute proof for anything that is not absolute... and the kicker is that only the absolute can prove that.

Ah!, absolutes. You already know that I don't talk about absolutes. But I can talk about "my" absolutes. And I have done so very recently.

BTW Good 'seeing' you.

aaron

i see you are often quick to say that anything which calls into question your logic or motivations is "rhetoric without substance" and i am not quite sure what kind of point you are trying to make. It is not much of a point to me, since in the case of your use of the phrase with cat, is was incorrect, as i tried to point out. In the case of your saying the same of my post, i can only respond that your original post provides all the substance needed to verify my rhetoric lol. So i don't really see what you are saying or what kind of proof you want. I am afraid that you will have to suffice with the internet and the insubstantial rhetoric that we all use to communicate with each other lol... the ideas contained within the words can be substantial to one who is willing to engage them, but i don't expect that of anyone, just a helpful suggestion

the idea of spiritual materialism is thus: that one can use spiritual ideas and beliefs to reinforce their own ego and self-grasping instead of reducing it. simple right? your original post, and your whole way of incessantly quoting master lao while tearing down everything else, is a perfect example of this. You clearly have faith in your own brand of daoism/laoism, and for that i am happy, but you seem to think that what you practice is so great that you can talk about not only particular religions, but religion as a general concept as being poison! This is a perfect example of egotistic "my-way-is-the-best-way" thinking that uses spirituality not to celebrate the diversity within the oneness that we all experience, but to denigrate and divide, celebrating dualistic thinking and spiritual elitism. So no matter how i hold your hand and walk you through the logical steps of your own spiritual materialism, it is still rhetoric! hahahaha and no matter what i say over the internet, you will still have no "substantial" proof of anything. I do hope you find this acceptable. Please do not feel a burning need to respond, as i have already read master lao, and am not really interested in any point of view on the subject that you have presented thus far. Furthermore i would like to thank marblehead for the dose of sanity, and take his advise and cease to post in this thread. I have made all the points that i would like to make, and anything more would be extraneous.

It's good that you've left, if you had stayed your faith might have been called into question. Can't have that now can we? Some points I'll make as you leave hastily through the door.

Spiritual Materialism is a Buddhist idea created by Buddhists, for Buddhists, to make Buddhists feel superior in their beliefs. Now I can spell this out and provide the evidence for this, but all one needs to do is read the Wikipedia article to understand. From what I've read it's not even a widely accepted theory outside of Buddhism and in the context of this discussion, it's pure gold, because it actually validates much of what I've said. Religions poison the minds of their followers, in this case by planting the seed that seeking spirituality out of the confines of religion is a result of one's ego. Of course the whole premise is a bit loony and self-conceited in and of itself, but who are we to judge? Oh wait, we are supposed to judge! We're supposed to look at these things and judge for ourselves whether they're right or wrong. So the question now is why does someone have the right to denigrate those who choose to achieve a spiritual practice outside the confines of religion?

Of course the bottom line is that this is an attack on the non-religious by the religious. The question is what does religion have to gain from this? Well it helps to keep people from going astray by telling them what an erroneous and ignorant thing searching for answers on one's own is, how selfish and narcissistic it is to not rely on others to show them the way.

Absolute bullshit here. I don't normally say that, but your advancement of spiritual materialism should be a warning sign to all those who are on the fence about this. Apparently religions are well aware of the fact that people are choosing a spiritual practice outside of religion and feels threatened enough to attack the idea.

Think for yourself. If something doesn't harm someone else or yourself, then why should you feel the need to attack it. Now if you ask me why I am attacking religion, it's quite simple really, religion causes a great deal of harm and as a compassionate man it is my responsibility to make sure people are aware of this.

Again, absolute rubbish. It's good that you've left rather than defend spiritual materialism. An idea like this really shouldn't be spread, it does more harm than you probably even realize.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

Hi MH,

Ah no absolutes, that is sad, then again sad is just the other half of glad so lets be glad while the getting is good ;)

It's good that you've left, if you had stayed your faith might have been called into question. Can't have that now can we? Some points I'll make as you leave hastily through the door.

Spiritual Materialism is a Buddhist idea created by Buddhists, for Buddhists, to make Buddhists feel superior in their beliefs. Now I can spell this out and provide the evidence for this, but all one needs to do is read the Wikipedia article to understand. From what I've read it's not even a widely accepted theory outside of Buddhism and in the context of this discussion, it's pure gold, because it actually validates much of what I've said. Religions poison the minds of their followers, in this case by planting the seed that seeking spirituality out of the confines of religion is a result of one's ego. Of course the whole premise is a bit loony and self-conceited in and of itself, but who are we to judge? Oh wait, we are supposed to judge! We're supposed to look at these things and judge for ourselves whether they're right or wrong. So the question now is why does someone have the right to denigrate those who choose to achieve a spiritual practice outside the confines of religion?

Of course the bottom line is that this is an attack on the non-religious by the religious. The question is what does religion have to gain from this? Well it helps to keep people from going astray by telling them what an erroneous and ignorant thing searching for answers on one's own is, how selfish and narcissistic it is to not rely on others to show them the way.

Absolute bullshit here. I don't normally say that, but your advancement of spiritual materialism should be a warning sign to all those who are on the fence about this. Apparently religions are well aware of the fact that people are choosing a spiritual practice outside of religion and feels threatened enough to attack the idea.

Think for yourself. If something doesn't harm someone else or yourself, then why should you feel the need to attack it. Now if you ask me why I am attacking religion, it's quite simple really, religion causes a great deal of harm and as a compassionate man it is my responsibility to make sure people are aware of this.

Again, absolute rubbish. It's good that you've left rather than defend spiritual materialism. An idea like this really shouldn't be spread, it does more harm than you probably even realize.

Aaron

good perspective here

• Like 1

Are you really sure you want to go here?

No, I do not have proof that any god does not exist. However, there is absolutely no proof that any exist. So why would I or anyone else believe in something that there is no proof of its existance? Isn't that called having illusions and delusions?

I used to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy and I even considered the possibility of the existance of the Great Pumpkin. Yes, I know there really are witches (my second wife was one).

Now, understand, I still believe in my Pegacorn. But I know it really isn't real.

Oh, sure, there are lots of stories about various gods. Nearly every society created them in order to explain the unexplainable. Personally, I don't need to try to explain the unexplainable. If I don't know what or why I simply say "I don't know." But there are some things that I simply must say "They do not exist." Zombies don't really exist. Ghosts don't really exist. Immortals don't really ..., wait, I will hold on that one as I don't want to irritate those who believe there are.

Science gives me the answers I need in my life. Religion and the belief in a god only kept me confused and ignorant.

Okay. Are you ready to rumble?

I'm ready. :ph34r:

But before you kick-off - are you sure that you want to get your ass whipped again? :ph34r:

Hi MH,

Ah no absolutes, that is sad, then again sad is just the other half of glad so lets be glad while the getting is good ;)

Thanks 3bob. I do a fairly good job at accepting what is. But know that if I think I can change the sad into glad there will be a ruckes going on. Contentment, afterall, is accepting what must be, not necessarily what is.

Hm, something tells me that Marblehead doesn't believe in me :lol:

Hehehe. No, I believe "you" exist. But not necessarily some of the things you think you are. (I had a really hard time getting over that one.)

• Like 1

I'm ready. :ph34r:

But before you kick-off - are you sure that you want to get your ass whipped again? :ph34r:

No fear here. Remember, I am beyond the concepts of success and failure. (I'm almost beyond the concepts of good and evil but this is a really tough one.)

:wacko:

No fear here. Remember, I am beyond the concepts of success and failure. (I'm almost beyond the concepts of good and evil but this is a really tough one.)

:wacko:

Go on then. :ph34r:

What was the question? My memory is not much longer than another part of my body.

Wise decision - for a change :ph34r:

Some are born great, some have greatness thrust upon them and some achieve greatness.

(Winston Churchill)

The rest of us are just a bit crap.

(Corazin Aquino)

if there is something that i do not have a direct experience with, i still cannot be so strong in my opinion to say for a fact it does not exist.

and there are things that i do in fact have direct experince with, so i tend to lean strongly that they do exist.

• Like 1

I think it's important to separate atheism from this topic, because that's not what this topic is about. There is no reason why someone should or shouldn't believe in a higher power. This topic does touch on the coercion of children into religion and the indoctrination the majority of children receive. If someone decides as an adult that they want to believe in God or Buddha or any other higher power, well that's absolutely fine, but they shouldn't be pushing these beliefs as facts on those that can't discern the difference.

In a perfect world there would be no desire for religion, but we don't live in a perfect world. Many people fear many things and religions offer them answers to these fears (of course in many cases they also encourage them at the same time). My goal with this thread was to get people to think about religion in context, to not allow the view they were raised with to cloud their judgement now.

I hope that clarifies things.

Aaron