Maddie

What does standing meditation do to/for you?

You cannot claim you've been meditating or standing for "years" unless you actually do it correctly everyday. You also don't have an authority on the practice itself if this isn't the case.

I have read a lot of posters on this forum say that they've been doing it for years, but when I ask them how often; they reply with, "off and on." This is not practice. Please understand the difference.

This post isn't pointed directly at anyone specific in this thread, just a general observation I have made in the short time of being a member here.

Edit: I'd like to add that training under someone special doesn't give you the authority on practice, unless you've trained under them everyday for 10 years. And yes, there are some people who are this dedicated. Just because you may have not met anyone like this, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Edited by Celestial

Well, that's what you get on an internet forum, or life in general...a lot of people who have read things, or heard things, repeating them for the benefit (and sometimes detriment) of others.

I do my best to always include "in my opinion" or something to let people know how much stock they should put in my words. I think that if people are careful what they post, don't act like experts if they aren't, and listen to other people's advice with the same thing in mind, we can all get a lot of good info from a forum like this.

I know very few actual "masters" (actually I know none, but that doesn't mean there aren't any) who would take time to post on an internet forum. If we left it up to them, there wouldn't me much to talk about here, except just some philosophical musings...

It's the same with any site I've been on. You learn, at some point, not to just repeat what you've heard, unless you have experience with it, or you qualify it with "this is just something I've heard". It does annoy me to no end when I see people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about repeating some nonsense back in a post they read somewhere by someone else who they assumed knew what they were talking about...but I'll admit, that guy was me, once upon a time. But thankfully, a merciless member called me on it and I was sufficiently shamed enough that I usually catch myself doing it and stop before hitting "post".

• Like 1

Bubbles thank you so much for the kind words to my sifu. I am really happy that he is respected so much. I want to give you my thanks on the behalf of him and consider you a kung-fu brother. With the utmost respect I bow to you for friendship. Thanks again and I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Peace and love.

• Like 1

Bubbles thank you so much for the kind words to my sifu. I am really happy that he is respected so much. I want to give you my thanks on the behalf of him and consider you a kung-fu brother. With the utmost respect I bow to you for friendship. Thanks again and I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Peace and love.

Thank you chenplayer. I have no words. :)

_/\_

<snip>

Edit: I'd like to add that training under someone special doesn't give you the authority on practice, unless you've trained under them everyday for 10 years. And yes, there are some people who are this dedicated. Just because you may have not met anyone like this, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Actually, someone would have "authority" on practice when their Sifu gives them "authority".

Practicing for 10 years every day under them does not give them any "authority".

It is a matter entirely for the Sifu to decide.

Actually, someone would have "authority" on practice when their Sifu gives them "authority".

Practicing for 10 years every day under them does not give them any "authority".

It is a matter entirely for the Sifu to decide.

Very true.

I was aiming to end the pointless bickering that has plagued this thread from people who really have no authority at all. I hope you didn't just focus on my "Edit" and neglect everything else I mentioned prior.

Very true.

I was aiming to end the pointless bickering that has plagued this thread from people who really have no authority at all. I hope you didn't just focus on my "Edit" and neglect everything else I mentioned prior.

Let's just hope that we've both made the points that we each intended to make, shall we?

The jacket of the book may look very awesome and attractive; but why should the contents be ignored due to ignorance......???

Edited by ChiDragon

It is mainly building up good muscle tone for the leg muscles. You have good grounding after a long period of practice. Good grounding means good rooting which will allow to anchor your feet to the ground from falling off balance. Good rooting will not allow anyone to push you out of place. The breathing exercise will help you to do the rest of the stuffs that you have asked.

I was going to say this elsewhere, but let me say it here.

Zhan Zhuang is standing on a pole. Later, people stop standing on the poles for this practice because it is very dangerous from falling off the poles and get hurt. By the basic definition of ZZ, the legs must be bent at some degree depends on the ability of each individual practitioner.

How do people ended up calling it as "standing meditation" that I don't know. There was also a term called "walking meditation". These all seems to me was only use in the west. The word "meditation" basically implies to be sitting down in a quiet place to go into a deep concentration of some kind.

If somebody says "standing on a pole", then the practice will be standing on a pole without meditating. However, if somebody says "standing meditation", then the practice will be standing and meditate. BTW To me it would be difficult to meditate while standing or walking.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

The jacket of the book may look very awesome and attractive; but why should the contents be ignored due to ignorance......???

Sifu Lam is indeed gorgeous. I'm glad that you find him attractive yourself.

I nearly told him this to his face once - but I felt that he might take it the wrong way.

I haven't been here long and I'm already getting tired of the misuse of "meditation". Or more acurately the willful, conscious misuse and narrowing to one single definition, by people who clearly know better, for the simple sake of invalidating someone's argument. I thought we already went over this. My experience with standing in ZZ, is that you are focused, very in-touch with your body. I would call that meditation.

What is walking the circle, if not meditation?

I haven't been here long and I'm already getting tired of the misuse of "meditation". Or more acurately the willful, conscious misuse and narrowing to one single definition, by people who clearly know better, for the simple sake of invalidating someone's argument. I thought we already went over this. My experience with standing in ZZ, is that you are focused, very in-touch with your body. I would call that meditation.

What is walking the circle, if not meditation?

Take slow deep breaths and walk away slowl.

Do not, repeat not, walk in a circle on this thread or Chi Dragon will steal your soul. :ph34r:

• Like 1

This is inappropriate and condescending. No one here is able to compete with Yu Gua Shun.

Why did you take it negatively....???

As soon I had spoted the extra twist in the body movements, I knew it was the Chen Style.

As soon I had spoted the extra twist in the body movements, I knew it was the Chen Style.

Difference between alright = ok, I guess, but not great vs alright = for sure

Difference between alright = ok, I guess, but not great vs alright = for sure

Yes, my bad. I had thought of that in my mind when I write that. I knew I'll get in trouble for that.

And my attempt to steer the thread back on topic has failed.

Don't sweat it.

Chi Dragon is lethal.

This is inappropriate and condescending. No one here is able to compete with Yu Gua Shun.

If your intention was not to make a negative comment, then I apologize.

I have a question....

My weight should be, as best I can, draining into my feet, right? So it's all down in my feet, not in my knees or hips. If I'm already starting out wrong, let me know...

But my energy should be sinking to my LDT?

I've just been going on the thoght that I don't want my weight hung up in any joints, so I'm doing my best to let it transfer straight down into my feet. But I want to make sure that I'm not also just constantly, the whole time I'm standing, trying to sink my chi down into the ground every morning, if that's not what I'm supposed to be doing.

Any advice on this?

I have a question....

My weight should be, as best I can, draining into my feet, right? So it's all down in my feet, not in my knees or hips. If I'm already starting out wrong, let me know...

But my energy should be sinking to my LDT?

I've just been going on the thoght that I don't want my weight hung up in any joints, so I'm doing my best to let it transfer straight down into my feet. But I want to make sure that I'm not also just constantly, the whole time I'm standing, trying to sink my chi down into the ground every morning, if that's not what I'm supposed to be doing.

Any advice on this?

IMO You are doing fine.

"But my energy should be sinking to my LDT"

This is for a novice, when you had done that, it means that you have passed the beginner level. The advance level is able you to send your energy anywhere in your body as you please.

"But I want to make sure that I'm not also just constantly, the whole time I'm standing, trying to sink my chi down into the ground every morning, if that's not what I'm supposed to be doing."

It is correct, it will make your legs strong, stronger than before to keep you in balance by anchor yourself to the ground. Then, you will stay put on the ground against any external force that was placed upon you. Just keep in mind, the stronger your legs, the stronger resistance against any force that is pushing against your body.

Edited by ChiDragon