Maddie

What does standing meditation do to/for you?

Thanks. And actually, if I go back and actually read the thread, all my questions are answered...

I have a mobile, curious infant who often pulls at my hair and clothes and nibbles on my feet. What is this "meditation" and "quiet thinky time" that you speak of?

Rumours from the medical world say you should spend much of your day either standing or walking. Sitting around all the time kills you faster and is bad for your body all around. So say the rumours from the medical world.

Ha! I've been thinking more and more lately, how "lucky" I am to have all the quiet time I want. Outside of the work day, anyways. But family is it's own journey, probably a more important one.

It's complicated...I have a stand-up desk at work, so while I'm on the computer, I can be standing. This is great. There was just a study out showing that sitting for long periods of time is as bad or worse on your cardivascular system as smoking. But they're talking mostly about 4 hours or more at a time.

Because sitting is apparantely so bad, and I have a stand up desk, I decided to look around for what research there is on standing for long periods of time. It puts stress on your cardiovascular system, too. I think, if you're healthy, standing is better than sitting. But really, the heart of the matter is that not moving is what's terrible for us. Being stationary is not how humans were meant to be. Lots of things need movement to work. So even though I'm standing at work, I'll sit for a while when I'm tired, and I take a lot of trips back & forth to the water cooler to put more hot water on my tea leaves. And I get the dog on a good walk on the local trails on my lunchbreak, and right after work.

I think that when you're sitting or standing in meditation, the posture and what you're doing with your mind can negate some of the bad effects of being stationary. But we need movement...it's not just sitting that can be bad for us.

I have a mobile, curious infant who often pulls at my hair and clothes and nibbles on my feet. What is this "meditation" and "quiet thinky time" that you speak of?

Rumours from the medical world say you should spend much of your day either standing or walking. Sitting around all the time kills you faster and is bad for your body all around. So say the rumours from the medical world.

It is not if you breathe in deeply and slowly like I do all day long. If you know what the purpose for Chi Kung is, anyway, its purpose is to learn to breathe to clear your air passages in the respiratory system. As soon you have cleared all the air passages, then, you can breathe the same way as do in your practice. That was the main purpose to learn Chi Kung. It was not meant to be using the breathing method only during practice. It was meant to be do it all the time. Of course, you also need to do some small movements once awhile to keep you muscles and joints active..... :)

Edited by ChiDragon

Ahhh, those are the details of it I couldn't remember. (Both the breathing and what parts it was bad for.)

I think some try to counteract sitting all day at the office by using one of those big balls as a chair. Something about a ball constantly challenges your body to make minor adjustments to keep balance. Not sure if it's enough movement to make a difference, but I find the balls to be much softer to sit on than a cushion.

It is correct, it will make your legs strong, stronger than before to keep you in balance by anchor yourself to the ground. Then, you will stay put on the ground against any external force that was placed upon you. Just keep in mind, the stronger your legs, the stronger resistance against any force that is pushing against your body.

I guess many have pointed out that your understanding of ZZ is so different than everybody in the ZZ practice.

My understanding of ZZ is not to build leg muscels. The purpose of ZZ is to open the energy channels for smooth energy transfer. It's not a steel pole concreted in the ground. It's a live tree planted in the ground.

ZZ is not for legs only, it's a whole body Qi Gong.

• Like 3

Yes, this thread has been over that with ChiDragon enough that I didn't feel the need to bring it back up... :) Same with Qigong is only to teach you how to breathe correctly :)

• Like 1

Yes, this thread has been over that with ChiDragon enough that I didn't feel the need to bring it back up... :) Same with Qigong is only to teach you how to breathe correctly :)

This is only the fundamental part of it. If one not able to grasp this much. How will you grasp the rest....??? :)

Of course, there are lot more to Chi Kung. The thing that is can you get over the first hurdle...???..... :D

I will add some things I haven't seen brought up.

Nei gong.

In "Tai chi classics" it details a standing meditation for developing internal power in the martial arts. It involves breathing into the individual bones of the body. I have lost the book so I can not post the entire method.

On the subject of knee injury

In Wong Kiew Kits book "the complete book of tai chi chuan" he attributes knee injury as a western phenomenon. He claims that in china knee injury is extremely rare. He claims that the fundamental difference is that in traditional practice the feet are always parallel. In many western traditions the the foot placement is at 45 degree angles outwards. This is an addition from western medical science.

I verified this in my practices and placing the feet parallel seems to align the knee and leg bones. It feels much better.

Lovelight

• Like 2

I will add some things I haven't seen brought up.

Nei gong.

In "Tai chi classics" it details a standing meditation for developing internal power in the martial arts. It involves breathing into the individual bones of the body. I have lost the book so I can not post the entire method.

On the subject of knee injury

In Wong Kiew Kits book "the complete book of tai chi chuan" he attributes knee injury as a western phenomenon. He claims that in china knee injury is extremely rare. He claims that the fundamental difference is that in traditional practice the feet are always parallel. In many western traditions the the foot placement is at 45 degree angles outwards. This is an addition from western medical science.

I verified this in my practices and placing the feet parallel seems to align the knee and leg bones. It feels much better.

Lovelight

Wu taiji has parallel feet. Yang taiji does not.

Sorry, I should be more specific.

In the taichi forms ones feet will end up in different directions based on the particular move.

However for the purpose of wuchi or horse stance In the Wong Kiew kit indicated that they should be held with feet parallel. I believe that this is even practiced in yang style taichi. In Terrence Dunns video "Tai chi for health" he teaches the yang forms. In the warmup exercises such as horse and wuchi stances, circling and snake creeps through grass he indicates that the feet should be parallel.

• Like 1

So standing meditation is a good way to build qi right? At least that's what I've heard. Usually I have a difficult time waking up in the morning, but I did ZZ last night before bed and waking up this morning was much easier. The weird thing was is that after doing it last night my right lateral thigh was very sore as though I'd been kicked there.

Also since as of today I'm at day 57 of celibacy I'm contemplating what connection there is there and how that extra jing relates to the extra and regular channles in the legs (as far as filling them up).

The weird thing was is that after doing it last night my right lateral thigh was very sore as though I'd been kicked there.

There is nothing weird about the soreness of the leg muscles. It is very normal for a beginner. Please keep in mind, the practice of horse stance is not an one minute thing. At the beginning of the practice, your leg muscles will be sore for the next three months or so. You have to let your leg muscles to adjust to the extra stress that you put on from bending the knees while standing in a fixed position like that.

If you practice daily, the soreness will go away in few months, and you will have better muscle tone in the legs. You should be able to do the stance, at least, for 20 minutes or longer with no more pains on the thighs.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Zhan Zhuang in martial arts and Zhan Zhuang for neidan have different inner work in our School.

When a person practices Zhan Zhuang in martial arts, his goal is to make a structured and holistic body.

In Zhan Zhuang for neidan, ones goal is to connect own mind and spirit with the spirit of Nature, feel and understand the Unity of internal and external.

Usually new students start with 30-40 minutes, and stand for 2 hours on the retreats.

• Like 4

Neidan is more complicated than just Zhan Zhuang. Zhan Zhuang is to make a structured and holistic body for a person. Period. The spiritual aspect is only the religious beliefs of the individual practitioner. The spiritual beliefs do not have to be logical nor reasonable.

For a beginner, the physical condition may not be suitable for a limited time of 30 to 40 minutes. It is not advisable to force a new student to practice Zhan Zhuang beyond the physical capability of each individual. Unless otherwise, each individual has the innate physical condition to meet such requirement.

Edited by ChiDragon

But standing meditation is a good way to build up qi right?

Only if you regulate your breathing and breathe down to the low dantian. BTW Zhan Zhuang is not the only method to build up qi. QiGong is mainly to build up qi. Zhan Zhuang is mainly a prerequisite for those who have weak physical condition to build up their body strength. Most sifu(s) make their students to start with Zhan Zhuang on the side or before teaching them any martial arts.

Edited by ChiDragon

Neidan is more complicated than just Zhan Zhuang. Zhan Zhuang is to make a structured and holistic body for a person.

Of course, you are right.

For a beginner, the physical condition may not be suitable for a limited time of 30 to 40 minutes. It is not advisable to force a new student to practice Zhan Zhuang beyond the physical capability of each individual. Unless otherwise, each individual has the innate physical condition to meet such requirement.

you are right, but I also can say when new students come to my trainings, even the first time they can stand 30-40 minutes, and when they come to retreat, they stand for 2 hours after 2 days.

I use my Qi for helping students and they progress faster.

I use my Qi for helping students and they progress faster.

I will reserve my comments on this part. I hope you'll reserve some of your own qi for yourself before you give it all away to your students........ ;)

yes, but if you want fast and stable results you must use Tuna (daoist breathing methods) and other Qigong practise which should be selected for you by your teacher.

• Like 3

I will reserve my comments on this part. I hope you'll reserve some of your own qi for yourself before you give it all away to your students........ ;)

Of course,

its not a problem for me :)

When I started practicing Zhan Zhuang, my Shifu told me to do it from 5.00 untill 7.00 a.m. every day.

I stood for 2 hours every day, and sometimes 3-4 hours pauseless.

I often stood outdoors, even when the temperature was below zero.

In the beginning, it was very hard to stand, but when the circulation of my Qi became better, my body never felt discomfort.

I don't recommend you to do the same as me, because I was practising with Shifu and he told me how I must train.

Edited by Vitalii
  • Like 4

I've noticed that if I do hold the ball at the middle dan tien/heart level it seems to stir up emotions and feelings. I don't notice so much if I do wuji, and I tried hold the ball at the lower dan tien and didn't notice a lot of stirring either.

yes, but if you want fast and stable results you must use Tuna (daoist breathing methods) and other Qigong practise which should be selected for you by your teacher.

Tuna(吐納) is the genuine and authentic Taoist breathing method. It is the ancient ultimate method of breathing. Nowadays, it has been known as "Chi Kung".

Tu(吐): Exhale

Na(納): Inhale

Since it is the Taoist breathing method, therefore, inhale with the abdomen fully expanded outward; and exhale with the abdomen fully indented inward.

Edited to correct the character from 吶 to .

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

I've noticed that if I do hold the ball at the middle dan tien/heart level it seems to stir up emotions and feelings. I don't notice so much if I do wuji, and I tried hold the ball at the lower dan tien and didn't notice a lot of stirring either.

The middle dantian is more associated with psychoemotional sphere, so when you hold your hands in front of the middle dantian it can activate your emotions. it's Ok.

The lower dantian is more associated with physical body.

When you practice, you need not to concentrate on holding the ball.

At first you can feel it, but then your heart and mind should be open to Nature [universe] and must focus on the Unity of Heaven, Earth and Human.

There are many other details in the Zhan Zhuan.