Sign in to follow this  
Practitioner

Are most of the chinese folk beliefs really this pointless?

http://www.taoistmas...ategory/lukyam/

The above is part of the blog of Mak Jo Si. I know him and Mak Tin Si really don't have a stellar reputation on this forum (especially Mak Tin Si's incessant spamming of the entire forums back in the day), but I have to say, here in Mak Jo Si's blog, the man really does seem to make a lot of sense, and in particular, his treatment and analysis towards popular chinese folk beliefs and deity-worship, because it seems as though he actually took the time to examine from where and when each particular belief comes from. The link above is an interesting read.

Check out the link above to read the full articles, but in essence, the gist of it is something as follows:

1.Chinese folk beliefs and deities are as numerous as specks of sand on a beach.

2.Many if not most of these people who actually are worshiping these said deities, have no idea who these deities really are, mostly because it was a hand-me down belief systecm.

3.Most chinese folk adopt a utilitarian approach to deity-worship (bring us good fortune, money, etc)

4. Many of these deities are misappropriated in many different ways (mixing buddhist saints with taoist saints etc, Guan Yu being worshipped alongside Guan Yin despite the two of them having no logical relation whatsoever)

5.In fact a lot of the deities that are depicted and worshipped in traditional chinese culture are in fact just ficititious entities created in different popular novels (three kingdoms novel, journey to the west etc) which been deified through popular culture.

Now anyhow, to get this straight, I do not necessarilycondone any of the Maks beliefs, Chi in Nature ltd, or any of their crazier stuff (all other religions are bad, bullshit, will get you possessed, taoism is the ONLY way etc), however, in this portion of the blog, Mak Jo Si really does seem to hit hard against chinese folk beliefs that from his perspective seem rather pointless.. So nevertheless despite some of the nuttier stuff in this group and their blog, I do find this bit of it particularly refreshing and somewhat a more logical approach to the folk chinese beliefs and pantheons etc.

For better context, read the blog above, and discuss the topic.

Edited by Practitioner

If they benefit the people worshiping them then they aren't pointless, even if you start worshipping Gandalf from Lord of the Rings if that concept of Gandalf represents an universal archetype in your individual psyche then you can benefit from worshipping him. Jesus may be made up but some people have had incredible things happen to them by praying to him because he represents certain things like compassion and forgiveness, even if he never even existed you can gain benefit by meditating on what he represents.

• Like 2

It's a big place is China, lots of people, lots of choices. These various deities and practices have grown up over time and are still growing up. Santa is very popular in China these days as he is in Japan.

Who doesn't like Santa?

(Buddhists probably, the miserable gits).

Every path that has believers is a valid path, the believers make it so for themselves.

Might look like Jedi Knights or WW2 re-enactors (sad w*nker central) to us on the outside but as far as those lighting the incense sticks are concerned; it's their religion so good luck to them.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

A cheerful and friendly 100% truly pure Taoism Master who hates evils does not sell guns for a living nor even touch a gun. Period.

Edited by ChiDragon

a freelance exorcist....!!! If one believes in such thing....!!!

Oi!

There's an honest dollar to be made from entity removal for them as needs it.

Some folk would as like take the bread out of a poor jobbing medium's childrens' mouths.

:wacko:

hunting aint so much fun, when the rabbit has a gun.

sheesh, i aint skeered of guns, bullets on the other hand.............

that unforgetable sound/ sensation of those bullets wizzing by.

but why would i shoot the devil? has she really ever done anything that bad to me?

I think it's fine to criticize 'folk beliefs' as long as it gets one to also check one's own out of the corner of one eye. Otherwise a pointless exercise IME/IMO. However, that's just the 'nice to have' part of it. Here's a bunch of videos of something going down with a Tibetan deity and the DL.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dali+lama+and+shugden&oq=dali+lama+and+shugden&gs_l=youtube.3...45099.47884.0.48264.7.7.0.0.0.0.1074.1534.0j1j1j7-1.3.0...0.0...1ac.1.jVmZyXKTDLU

DL is down on Dorje Shugdan but the New Kadampas really dig Dorje so when DL came to the UK the NKs picketed his meetings. Really not uplifting seeing Buddhist 'monks and nuns' slagging off another Buddhist 'monk' in the personage of the DL.

Edited by GrandmasterP

If they benefit the people worshiping them then they aren't pointless, even if you start worshipping Gandalf from Lord of the Rings if that concept of Gandalf represents an universal archetype in your individual psyche then you can benefit from worshipping him. Jesus may be made up but some people have had incredible things happen to them by praying to him because he represents certain things like compassion and forgiveness, even if he never even existed you can gain benefit by meditating on what he represents.

I kind of worship Viggo Mortensen :-)

Represents sexy Viking dude.

WebRep

currentVote

noRating

noWeight

Is that the elf guy with a bow off Lord of the Rings?

Its Aragorn isn't it ... def not Gandalf anyway.

Lara Croft Tomb Raider for me.

The real one not the cartoon.

Waddagal!

Seven of Nine off Star Trek too.

Now there's a wrestling match I'd pay to watch.

Sign in to follow this