zanshin

Soulmates

I think they do for sure.

I can think of several couples we know who are soul mates and several more who are far from that happy state.

They do say that soul mates keep looking for one another through successive reincarnations and are never truly happy unless they link up.

I find that idea rather sweet.

I was on the internet a few weeks ago saw a picture of a girl who was going to the same dance class doing an art class, she was pretty but for some reason, I kept staring at the picture, like crazy, I didnt even choose my attraction to her my heart just did, during ecstatic dance, I would be on the other side of the room and randomly move right behind hers, with my heart, opening to her or feeling pain when not with her, she told me we had past lives together.

I do not like being skeptical...so fuck it aaa

I have a lot of thoughts on this.

You become soulmates, when you share your soul with someone else and they with you, and you accept each other. I view best friends as being similar to soulmates (of course without the bromance)...and most of my best friends, I was kind of enemies with to start out with. lol

So when you've become soulmates...watch out. Your very soul is held in the hands of someone else...and you hold theirs. Because all things are impermanent as the Boodists say, this can lead to some enormous pain.

There are a lot of soulmates in the sea for me...but then we must be mind mates, body mates, location mates, belief mates, family mates, blah blah blah. When it works out perfectly, that is rare and shouldn't be taken for granted (said by someone who has taken it for granted, and ended up with regret).

And when you find your soul mate, if they are the type of soul that changes, you should realize that this soulmate soon won't be your soulmate anymore (said by someone who dated a changing soulmate).

Also...I think solemates are one of the best kinds of soulmates.

Edited by turtle shell
  • Like 1

Half of love is luck ,( to want it to be and to have it happen)

and the other half is work ( that yall want it to be and are willing to make it be).

JMO

:)

Stosh

I kinda agree with all that's been said but I do still think that there is a category of soul mates involving two spirits who keep looking for each other through countless reincarnations and sometimes they get lucky.

Maybe I am just an old romantic at heart.

My soulmate is my bestfriend. A girl two years older than me. We just adore and love each other. We are like peas in a pod, we're realy happy when we're together. We are soulmates

What if you are an immature person subject to narcissism and delusion. two people believing they are soul fragments come together or "destined to be together" is a great egoic lure toward feeling special and creating a fiction, a folly a deux.

Although of course when one is in harmonious deep love with another person one does feel one is with a soul mate. Perhaps the feeling is the key to it.. it is about recognising another, and whilst harmony prevails, recognition can take precedence. Deep harmony on many levels with others not being that common to actually live , though not so difficult to imagine or glimpse, is more of a challenge to integrate it with daily life, for it to become strong and enduring despite distractions which unseal the alchemy.

I heard that a soul mate could be someone who assist you in creating a deeper sense of soul.. so of course this could be someone who brings a lot of suffering into your life, or a lot of challenge, not harmony, necessarily.

• Like 2

Do soul mates exist?

Yes. But it seems people want to make it a romantic idea and all about something else.

People 'in love' like to think/feel what they have is special.

Soul connections have NOTHING to do with choice or ideas or notions in this lifetime as far as I know.

Best,

• Like 1

I think it's more of a certain... resonance than a mating. It's all vibrations right? So you find someone working at a similar vibration or whose vibe creates a great harmony with yours. Sometimes your vibe or theirs will change. That is difficult and painful.

• Like 1

I think the pair of running shoes I could call soul mates would be my Asics Gel. They were so comfy and balanced, eventually got a bit smelly due to running in wet grass and had to toss them. But Asics are still my favorite brand, even though I dont run much anymore.

As far as soul mates, I think you have many soul mates, and they are people that come into your life to help you grow and evolve.

I was on the internet a few weeks ago saw a picture of a girl who was going to the same dance class doing an art class, she was pretty but for some reason, I kept staring at the picture, like crazy, I didnt even choose my attraction to her my heart just did, during ecstatic dance, I would be on the other side of the room and randomly move right behind hers, with my heart, opening to her or feeling pain when not with her, she told me we had past lives together.

LMAO!! thats awesome

• Like 1

I kinda agree with all that's been said but I do still think that there is a category of soul mates involving two spirits who keep looking for each other through countless reincarnations and sometimes they get lucky.

Maybe I am just an old romantic at heart.

If you believe in reincarnation... Count me as an old romantic who agrees with you...

:)

Maybe or ... it could be a form of something else too, in India it's called Vashikaran. I remember in one of of Johnson's books on Daoist magic he talks about it as well, a technique to inject qi into someone to make them "addicted" to you.

I'd like to believe in soul mates, but have nothing to base that belief on.

Although admittedly, that's essentially what I'm personally "looking" for. Maybe looking isn't the right word..."waiting."

I dunno, I'm discovering all sorts of neat stuff about my hangups concerning women and romance. The desire for intimacy is a really pesky one, but I honestly believe cultivation will eventually eliminate that desire. I'm not saying I want to be an ascetic or that I don't enjoy the company of women...I just don't want to desire intimacy and then experience suffering due to having an unfulfilled desire.

I'd much rather learn to let that go and just be content with life as it is...and my practice is already helping with that. :)

So you are replacing the desire for intimacy with the non-desire for intimacy ... and then you'll still experience suffering, of a different kind, as your expectations of what non-desire for intimacy is are quite different than what non-desire for intimacy truly is. then you'll want to experience again desire for intimacy ...

So you are replacing the desire for intimacy with the non-desire for intimacy ... and then you'll still experience suffering, of a different kind, as your expectations of what non-desire for intimacy is are quite different than what non-desire for intimacy truly is. then you'll want to experience again desire for intimacy ...

I'm not sure I follow any of that.

How is cultivating an appreciation for life as it is replacing a desire with a non-desire? And what is a non-desire?

Do you have some kind of an alternate solution that you feel would be more effective?

Yes, cultivate how to acquire intimacy so it becomes a non-issue so your thoughts do not revolve around it anymore. Basically, it's the same as thirst. You get thirsty, you go have a drink. It's simple. One doesn't aspire for non-desire for water. And once you have acquired the same kind of mastery in obtaining intimacy whenever you feel the need for it, as the mastery you have right now for drinking water, you will be in a lot happier place than if you were to attain a state of non-desire for intimacy.

• Like 1

I appreciate the direct response to my question!

I have to admit, there's a simple beauty to that solution.

Okay, I'll be honest. Finding intimacy seems to involve a LOT of work, and I'm already a busy guy. It seems like the easier solution would be to simply no longer have that desire.

The problem with that approach is the more you push against something, the more you try to back it into a corner, the more aggressive it will become and push back at you. And it could well be that the intimacy that you crave, and that you wish you didn't crave because you are such a busy guy, may be required in your cultivation practice. And I bet it's not so much work as you believe, as I'm sure there are a few people that you bump into on a daily basis that wish they were on more intimate terms with you.

• Like 1

That's an interesting thought. I've never really considered physical and emotional intimacy with a female (that is the specific desire I am working with) as a necessary component of cultivation. I'm not discounting it out of hand, and it may have been brought up in another thread I participated in (can't remember), but I don't understand the mechanics of why that kind of intimacy would be required for cultivation.

I will say that I am not aware of any interested female parties. I can count the number of times I've experienced "interested" vibes in the past five years on one hand, and none of them were daily acquaintances.

Of course, I can't discount the possibility that I just suck at reading those particular tells in women. :P

But as far as I can tell, that isn't the case unless you're using a much looser definition of "intimacy."